User Reviews for Kariva

Birth Control

Summary of Kariva reviews 6.1 85 reviews

Reviews for Kariva

For Birth Control "DO NOT TAKE. The hormonal rage, hot flashes, weight gain, mood swings, night sweats, insomnia, THAT'S JUST TO NAME A FEW side effects. We won’t even address the hemorrhoids, breast pain, vision problems. I’d rather be pregnant."

Icka1989 January 23, 2019

For Birth Control "When I first took the pill I lost 10-15 pounds which was great. It made me extremely nauseous the first week to the point where I didn’t want to even eat. The nausea went away and I was eating again but feeling more full so I wasn’t eating as much. My acne got a little better but since I suffer for PCOS I still get acne so it didn’t totally help in that department. Period cramps are a little better. BUT I NOTICED over the past couple months I received bad head aches and really tired and craving sweets like crazy. Would I recommend it in the beginning ? Yes would I recommend it now ? No. My OBGYN switched me to Yaz so we will see where that takes me."

Nikki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for a year now. I have a heart arrythmia that is aggravated my fluctuating hormones. It has always been more of an issue right before my period due to hormone changes, and is a PMS symptom for me. I see a cardiologist that has me on medication to control my arrhythmia on a daily basis. If my hormones are out of wack, my heart medicine can’t completely control the heart palpitations. I was having hormone related issues so my gyno put me on Kariva to help with everything. However throughout the month, I have breakthrough bleeding, bloating, mild cramps...right before this my heart arrhythmia goes crazy. I don’t feel like the Kariva is regulating my hormones properly. I do take the Kariva at the same time every day and never miss a dose. I have also developed extreme anxiety which only started after taking this BC. It also kills your sex drive. I will be asking for an alternative when I see my doctor next month. I have taken other BCs in the past with no issues."

Aykay November 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Started on the Depo Shot when I was 14. Although not having periods were nice, I still had every symptom of periods but without bleeding (headaches, cramping, mood swings, increased appetite, etc.). So 6 months later I got switched to Kariva, costing me approximately $50 a month, w/o insurance. I can’t say I’ve had any “major experiences” with Kariva. I started birth control with the intention of lighter periods which have gone from heavier 2 week long periods to a medium flow 3-4 days. I still have a few symptoms but I can’t 100% say it’s due to Kariva since I’ve been on it so long, such as moderate cramping, weight gain (due to large appetite) and occasional moodiness, but definitely nothing that I would say is ‘out of the ordinary’. As of the pregnancy preventative aspect, I’ve had sex occasionally throughout my time on Kariva but haven’t gotten pregnant even due to occasionally forgetting 2-3 pills a month. Overall, I would recommend Kariva."

KarivaUser1099 October 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Kimidess for 2 years and it was great. When I moved and got new insurance, for whatever reason I kept getting Kariva and not Kimidess from my pharmacy. It has been awful for me. After little to no sex drive, hormonal acne and Perioral dermatitis appearing, I stopped taking the pill and am now hoping to go back to Kimidess. While all BCP work differently for different bodies, this one certainly did not work for me. Super disappointed I was even given this when my doctor never prescribed it! Ladies, be careful about generic BCPs. I personally do NOT trust them now."

Alice (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 23 years old. I’ve switched from Viorele to Kariva because my pharmacy decided to switch it and I just ended up taking it. I definitely do feel a bit more emotional than usual, but I don’t know if it’s casually linked to the Kariva. I realized a small rash of white pimples next to my mouth - which I’m hoping is not a side effect and is nothing serious. I’ve only been on this new pack for a week now, but I don’t really have any complaints. I liked my previous bc Viorele, and they have the same exact active ingredients... so far I’m ok with the switch."

Jjsadi (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

"This birth control is awful! I am a 43 year old and was having irregular periods. My obgyn prescribed this for me. It did help my irregularity - but at a price to me. I developed Perioral dermatitis. This is rash type acne around the mouth. I had never had this issue before. This is a side effect of the drug, which I found after doing some research. This is a very stubborn rash to treat. I am hopeful I got it soon enough it will not be a long term issue for me. I stopped the pill immediately once I figured out what was going on and did see some relief on my face. I am also treating it w cream and an oral antibiotic. I DO NOT recommend this product to anyone!"

Gigi August 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Kariva for about 2 years. Up until the last 3 months, everything was great. It made my period lighter and regular, only had slight cramps on the first day, skin clearer, boobs even grew from a small b to a small c. I decided to change to a different pill recently because I was experiencing emotional side effects. I have always struggled with anxiety but I was very stressed out due to life circumstances but noticed heavy mood swings. I wanted to try switching my pill before I tried a psychiatric medicine. I would still recommend trying kariva to everyone, It’s worth a shot and I liked it for a long time!"

Coffeefein (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2018

For Birth Control "Was on Kariva for 3 months, would have stayed on it if I wasn't for the negative side effects I got from this pill. PROS: Breast grew from a B cup to a C cup. No depression, feeling sad or moody. Shorter, light periods 4 days at the most. CONS: Extreme vagina dryness, so extreme I couldn't climax at ALL for the entire 3 months. I had acne that broke out on my forehead, chin, chest and back. I'm already really skinny and wanted to gain weight instead I lost about 8 lbs. Overall, just couldn't put up with the dryness down there it ruined sex for me, after 3 months of taking it had my doctor switch me to a new pill."

Sahara (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Sorry also have horrible mood instability with this medication"

Nope April 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to Kariva from Apri. I have been on Apri for 6 month, and I have noticed that my hair started to fall out. However, it might be connected to other reasons, my hair is usually sensitive to stress, and I had particularly bad times 3-6 months ago. Anyways, I switched because of this and water retention I have been experiencing. It definitely helped! I have lost approximately 5 pounds in first 2 weeks with Kariva, and I do not loose my hair anymore. However, I have noticed PMS with the first pack of Kariva. I had it all the time before I started BC, it stopped with Apri, and now it seems to be back again."

qq33452 October 15, 2017

For Birth Control "I switched from orsynthia to kariva due to painful sex. I was cautious to try it seeing all the bad reviews but I'm glad I read them considering I had many of the same problems. First of all, your period SHOULD come during the first two days of the placebo week, that didn't happen. I got my period at the very end of the week each time with bad cramps. Flow wasn't terrible still kind of heavy for birth control though. I also didn't like was how many headaches I would get; at least 3-4 a week. I would also feel very foggy and tired all the time. My appetite has definitely changed on this also, I would constantly want to eat all the junk food I could find. Didn't gain much weight but still. Boobs also got bigger. I'm changing back to orsynthia!"

Jilliayy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2017

For Birth Control "When I first switched my birth control from the generic version of Ortho tri-cyclen lo to Kariva, it was an attempt to regulate my ph balance. Although the switch made no difference in that area, I noticed a significant change in my mood. In a GOOD way! I had been taking the other birth control for so long, I thought it was just me that had crazy mood swings every month. Once I switched, the moods were gone. My mind was blown. I have also noticed a decrease in acne which is always a plus. They've also just changed the bubble pack to release the pills more easily. I recommend."

Misskd88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

For Birth Control "I have taken Kariva for about 6 months and my boobs have gone from an A cup to a D cup, which is alarming. I have pregnancy like symptoms very often, but I'm not pregnant. Overall this birth control made me extremely moody and gain crazy weight."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

For Birth Control "At the beginning, Kariva seemed to be working well, my skin started to clear up, lighter periods, and emotional stabilization. However, once I started my second pack, my emotional state felt off. I didn't realize that it could be the pill I was taking, so I continued to use it. I felt very depressed, and sad, and on the verge of crying most times. Once I told my doctor, I changed to Blisovi 24 Fe and my emotional state began to change in a positive way!"

HanaBanana June 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I started this pill a week ago due to Stage 3 Endometriosis. I am having pregancy like nausea. It is all day. The only way to fix it is to continually eat. If I did that I would pack on the pounds. It is also making me feel weird in my head. Like I cannot focus. I would not recommend this at all."

Horrible (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

For Birth Control "I would not recommend this birth control. I've been taking it for almost a year now and it just makes my period all wacky. It also makes me extremely emotional as opposed to my last brand before this which was trivora (love trivora) after I finish this pack I'm going to stop it all together. I just cant deal with it anymore. In the beginning it was fine but as time went on it just kept getting progressively worse and my period became all out of wack now. Definitely more cons than pros. The only thing that's good is that I haven't ever had pregnancy scare. Other than that....would not recommend"

Josieb29 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Kariva for a months now after switching from loestrin (which gave me insane mood swings and heavy discharge). My skin is good, periods are light, cramping is limited and mood is normal. But, my boobs have gotten bigger and I do notice that I have gained some weight in my upper thighs and hips."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

For Birth Control "This birth control is amazing! I was definitely skeptical about it reading all of the mixed reviews, but I cannot really complain. The first month I started I had a week of migraines and a strenuous and painful menstrual period . But after that week, the migraines were gone and I literally had no cramps, headache, nausea, or any menstrual signs. My period only lasted 4 days, I'm in the best moods ever. I cannot say this medication effected my sexual desires. But the medication did lighten my discharge which I am very thankful for. CVS did try to switch me to the generic brand but I could not take risk. Literally it's great!"

Lisa Jackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for about 3 years now. I originally went on the pill for my severe cramps and heavy bleeding. After one month, my acne cleared up, my period got much shorter, and my cramps were less intense. However, I have gained 20 pounds and a full cup size since being on the pill. In addition, I have absolutely no sex drive and a lot of dryness. Though I have experienced anxiety before taking the pill, it has gotten much worse since being on it. My PMS is much more severe as well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for almost 3 years and I have never got any bad side effects. I originally went on birth control because I get really bad cramps before I get my period, during, and after. I've tried so many birth controls and this one is definitely the best. Like someone else said, be careful at CVS because they will sometimes switch you to their preferred generic Viorele which is the worst one I have EVER been on. It gave me migraines every 3 days, it was so bad. I am a little mad because I got new insurance and I have to pay more for Kariva but it is worth it. It is definitely the best one out of this group!"

sam414 September 6, 2016

For Birth Control "I can't give this medication a 10 without being on it for a long time, but what I can say is that this medication was recommended to me 2 different doctors who also take it themselves. Also, I can say that my side-effects from my previous birth control are going away after taking Kariva. I had the worst mood-swings and anxiety from Ortho-tri-cyclen. I was always either angry and upset for or hysterically crying for no good reason. From the first time I took Kariva, my mood dramatically improved. I actually feel friendly towards others for the first time in months."

GravityofLove September 5, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Kariva for almost 3 weeks now and the first week or so my body definitely had to adjust to the hormones. I was getting hot flashes, burning up at night, fatigue, nausea and easily agitated/emotional. At the beginning of this week I feel like I'm finally adusting. What I don't like is my vagina is so dry when normally it's wet all the time, and my sex drive has diminished quite a bit. Like others have said, this is taking a toll on my relationship. Guys have to be so patient while we deal with this crap! Overall though, this is the best birth control I've been on. My skin is looking great too! I'm going to stick this out for a couple months but if my vagina continues to be like the Sahara, I don't think it's worth staying on."

Shells522 August 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 18 & Kariva was the first birth control I was prescribed. Definitely does it's job birth-control wise, there was some prolonged spotting after my first period on the pill but my flow was steady after that. No weight changes, however I noticed it did nothing to help my acne, which was a factor in starting birth control. My first week on the pill, I experienced heavy nausea & diarrhea, so first timers keep that in mind. The worst part about the experience in general was the mood swings. I have always been an anxious person by nature but Kariva increased my level of self-conciousness, stress, & feeling of uneasiness. I also experienced some bouts of depression. All in all it could work well for some, but I have just switched my b.c. brand"

Maddie S (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been taking this pill for over 2 years now and I have never had any problems! It lightened my period and got rid of my cramps and acne! I have had no spotting or anything, as long as you take your pill correctly your experience with kariva will be great! No crazy mood swings and less cramps! My sex drive is the same and my breast have gone from a C to a DD while being on this pill. I have a little more vaginal dryness but nothing to crazy. I would not want to be on any other pill! Beware of getting this pill if you are with CVS pharmacy (switch pharmacys) CVS will fill kariva for you for a couple months then without your permission they switch you to a generic brand viorele and it's TERRIBLE my friends.. Best of luck to you"

fbh2561 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016