User Reviews for Kariva

Birth Control 76 reviews 300 medications

6.1
Summary of Kariva reviews 76 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Kariva

For Birth Control "I switched to Kariva from Apri. I have been on Apri for 6 month, and I have noticed that my hair started to fall out. However, it might be connected to other reasons, my hair is usually sensitive to stress, and I had particularly bad times 3-6 months ago. Anyways, I switched because of this and water retention I have been experiencing. It definitely helped! I have lost approximately 5 pounds in first 2 weeks with Kariva, and I do not loose my hair anymore. However, I have noticed PMS with the first pack of Kariva. I had it all the time before I started BC, it stopped with Apri, and now it seems to be back again."

qq33452 October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I switched from orsynthia to kariva due to painful sex. I was cautious to try it seeing all the bad reviews but I'm glad I read them considering I had many of the same problems. First of all, your period SHOULD come during the first two days of the placebo week, that didn't happen. I got my period at the very end of the week each time with bad cramps. Flow wasn't terrible still kind of heavy for birth control though. I also didn't like was how many headaches I would get; at least 3-4 a week. I would also feel very foggy and tired all the time. My appetite has definitely changed on this also, I would constantly want to eat all the junk food I could find. Didn't gain much weight but still. Boobs also got bigger. I'm changing back to orsynthia!"

Jilliayy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "When I first switched my birth control from the generic version of Ortho tri-cyclen lo to Kariva, it was an attempt to regulate my ph balance. Although the switch made no difference in that area, I noticed a significant change in my mood. In a GOOD way! I had been taking the other birth control for so long, I thought it was just me that had crazy mood swings every month. Once I switched, the moods were gone. My mind was blown. I have also noticed a decrease in acne which is always a plus. They've also just changed the bubble pack to release the pills more easily. I recommend."

Misskd88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have taken Kariva for about 6 months and my boobs have gone from an A cup to a D cup, which is alarming. I have pregnancy like symptoms very often, but I'm not pregnant. Overall this birth control made me extremely moody and gain crazy weight."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "At the beginning, Kariva seemed to be working well, my skin started to clear up, lighter periods, and emotional stabilization. However, once I started my second pack, my emotional state felt off. I didn't realize that it could be the pill I was taking, so I continued to use it. I felt very depressed, and sad, and on the verge of crying most times. Once I told my doctor, I changed to Blisovi 24 Fe and my emotional state began to change in a positive way!"

HanaBanana June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started this pill a week ago due to Stage 3 Endometriosis. I am having pregancy like nausea. It is all day. The only way to fix it is to continually eat. If I did that I would pack on the pounds. It is also making me feel weird in my head. Like I cannot focus. I would not recommend this at all."

Horrible (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I would not recommend this birth control. I've been taking it for almost a year now and it just makes my period all wacky. It also makes me extremely emotional as opposed to my last brand before this which was trivora (love trivora) after I finish this pack I'm going to stop it all together. I just cant deal with it anymore. In the beginning it was fine but as time went on it just kept getting progressively worse and my period became all out of wack now. Definitely more cons than pros. The only thing that's good is that I haven't ever had pregnancy scare. Other than that....would not recommend"

Josieb29 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on Kariva for a months now after switching from loestrin (which gave me insane mood swings and heavy discharge). My skin is good, periods are light, cramping is limited and mood is normal. But, my boobs have gotten bigger and I do notice that I have gained some weight in my upper thighs and hips."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This birth control is amazing! I was definitely skeptical about it reading all of the mixed reviews, but I cannot really complain. The first month I started I had a week of migraines and a strenuous and painful menstrual period . But after that week, the migraines were gone and I literally had no cramps, headache, nausea, or any menstrual signs. My period only lasted 4 days, I'm in the best moods ever. I cannot say this medication effected my sexual desires. But the medication did lighten my discharge which I am very thankful for. CVS did try to switch me to the generic brand but I could not take risk. Literally it's great!"

Lisa Jackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for about 3 years now. I originally went on the pill for my severe cramps and heavy bleeding. After one month, my acne cleared up, my period got much shorter, and my cramps were less intense. However, I have gained 20 pounds and a full cup size since being on the pill. In addition, I have absolutely no sex drive and a lot of dryness. Though I have experienced anxiety before taking the pill, it has gotten much worse since being on it. My PMS is much more severe as well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for almost 3 years and I have never got any bad side effects. I originally went on birth control because I get really bad cramps before I get my period, during, and after. I've tried so many birth controls and this one is definitely the best. Like someone else said, be careful at CVS because they will sometimes switch you to their preferred generic Viorele which is the worst one I have EVER been on. It gave me migraines every 3 days, it was so bad. I am a little mad because I got new insurance and I have to pay more for Kariva but it is worth it. It is definitely the best one out of this group!"

sam414 September 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I can't give this medication a 10 without being on it for a long time, but what I can say is that this medication was recommended to me 2 different doctors who also take it themselves. Also, I can say that my side-effects from my previous birth control are going away after taking Kariva. I had the worst mood-swings and anxiety from Ortho-tri-cyclen. I was always either angry and upset for or hysterically crying for no good reason. From the first time I took Kariva, my mood dramatically improved. I actually feel friendly towards others for the first time in months."

GravityofLove September 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on Kariva for almost 3 weeks now and the first week or so my body definitely had to adjust to the hormones. I was getting hot flashes, burning up at night, fatigue, nausea and easily agitated/emotional. At the beginning of this week I feel like I'm finally adusting. What I don't like is my vagina is so dry when normally it's wet all the time, and my sex drive has diminished quite a bit. Like others have said, this is taking a toll on my relationship. Guys have to be so patient while we deal with this crap! Overall though, this is the best birth control I've been on. My skin is looking great too! I'm going to stick this out for a couple months but if my vagina continues to be like the Sahara, I don't think it's worth staying on."

Shells522 August 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am 18 & Kariva was the first birth control I was prescribed. Definitely does it's job birth-control wise, there was some prolonged spotting after my first period on the pill but my flow was steady after that. No weight changes, however I noticed it did nothing to help my acne, which was a factor in starting birth control. My first week on the pill, I experienced heavy nausea & diarrhea, so first timers keep that in mind. The worst part about the experience in general was the mood swings. I have always been an anxious person by nature but Kariva increased my level of self-conciousness, stress, & feeling of uneasiness. I also experienced some bouts of depression. All in all it could work well for some, but I have just switched my b.c. brand"

Maddie S (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking this pill for over 2 years now and I have never had any problems! It lightened my period and got rid of my cramps and acne! I have had no spotting or anything, as long as you take your pill correctly your experience with kariva will be great! No crazy mood swings and less cramps! My sex drive is the same and my breast have gone from a C to a DD while being on this pill. I have a little more vaginal dryness but nothing to crazy. I would not want to be on any other pill! Beware of getting this pill if you are with CVS pharmacy (switch pharmacys) CVS will fill kariva for you for a couple months then without your permission they switch you to a generic brand viorele and it's TERRIBLE my friends.. Best of luck to you"

fbh2561 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Kariva definitely had its ups and downs for me, but the downs were so horrible I had to go off. Pros: I never got pregnant. I stopped getting cystic acne on my chin and my skin was way clearer than it had ever been before (other birth control had been ineffective in doing this). My sex drive was not decreased at all. Cons: My boobs went from a C to spilling out of a DD and tender. I gained 10 lbs and NONE of my clothes fit anymore. My feet and ankles got so swollen that some of my shoes stopped fitting. For the first three months I spotted like crazy. After that, my periods were regular and not too bad of flow, but other birth controls had made me have a 2 day "barely there" period or not get a period at all which was way better."

Stacy S. July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on Kariva for probably 3 years or less now, and it is my favorite bc. I have tried others with crazy emotional side effects and heavy bleeding. Kariva gets rid of my period about 99% of the time, and with that, it decreases sex drive. It got rid of my acne, and constant hot flashes. I didn't gain any weight on it. In fact, I just came off of Kariva a few weeks ago due to a severe yeast infection which I had no idea what was causing, and since then my hormones are insane from being off of it. I keep binge eating, have cramps, my vagina is almost tingling a lot, my face gets very flush and red and my skin is super dry. I gained 6 lbs in that time and hadn't changed my eating patterns. I am going back on Kariva due to this."

jwall1989 May 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for less than 2 years, and I guess I never read the drug information because my sex drive is near nothing. I even get annoyed when sex is brought up. My period is only 3 days long though, and no nausea or cramping to go with. But, the fact that my body refuses sex now is getting ridiculous. My doctor suggested it for me because I am pretty moody or my moods flipped a lot on everything else I tried. But Kariva was the last thing I could try. I'm breaking up with it. I miss being intimate with my boyfriend..."

kjox00 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This will be my 4th month using Kariva. The only thing it helped with (besides preventing pregnancy) was making my period shorter. I went from 8 long, heavy and painful days to only 2 very light, no pain days! Other than that, I've been miserable . It hasn't helped with acne at all, it actually started to cause body acne which I've never had. Also, a huge issue that I have, I'm VERY dry down there; causing it to hurt during my period when I want to insert a tampon AND painful sex. I can't even begin to describe how painful it is, it's like my insides are being torn apart & the pain doesnt go away for hours after trying to have sex. Its taking a huge toll on my relationship. I would not recomennd this pill. I will have to talk to my dr soon."

Alexanicole16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Hello, I took this birth control for four years ( I started it 15 because I was diagnosed with PCOS). Overall, it really helped me. It cleared my acne, and gave me a predictable period. The fact that it cleared my acne was the most amazing thing for me. I went from layering on concealer to cover red, even purple zits on my face to being confident in my skin. One thing I suggest if you take this medication is to read over ALL of the side effects. A little known one is constipation. I suffered from it the entire time I took this medication. Despite that one problem, this medication worked extremely well. :). Also, at age 19 I use it in conjunction with condoms to prevent pregnancy. ( take it at the same time every day and you're golden."

Jaclyn P March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had a pretty good experience with this birth control. I didn't experience any mood swings or weight gain. I actually lost a bit of weight the two times I switched to Kariva from a different birth control. Overall I felt better on this birth control than any other that I have taken. The big issue that I had is that after taking it for a couple of months I would get breakthrough bleeding in the middle of the month. The bleeding would last so long that it pretty much a second period. It was a bit frustrating being on your period for half of the month. It might have decreased my sex-drive a bit too."

Leah55 March 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was switched to Kariva because it was a generic version of the current birth control I was on. I do not recommend it. I would have my period normal one month and then I would get it again 2 weeks later. The second period would last for 2 weeks. It was great for controlling acne and I only gained 3 pounds being on it. It seemed to keep my mood swings down. The bad thing with it is I stopped taking it 2 months ago and I have not had a period since. I did a pregnancy test with my doctor and they verified that I was not pregnant. Down side of this is I went back to my regular birth control and I cannot start taking it until my period starts again."

Do not recommend (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been extremely happy with this birth control. After about 3 years on this bc, I had to switch pharmacies and my new pharmacy switched me to Viorele, which led to my absolute worst experience with birth control. I had headaches, felt fatigued, experienced a heavier period with more cramping, and gained weight. Finally I realized that even though Kariva and Viorele should be the same, they in fact are not!! Once I switched to a new pharmacy that would specifically fill Kariva, I lost 10 pounds in about 2 months and all the other side effects from the Viorele disappeared. After a year consistently being on Kariva, my pharmacy just switched to Pimtrea, which really upsets me that they can't be consistent with Kariva."

BoatsM (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My doctor started me on Karvia after having a terrible experience with Chateal which gave me terrible acne. My skin started clearing up almost immediately. I do have times when I'm just in a mood due to the extra hormones but I have not experienced any nausea or pain with this medication. Overall, I have no true complaints about this."

mialarson03 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "After reading a lot of negative reviews I was nervous at first to start Kariva. I automatically thought it was going to be bad for me but I have not had one bad thing to say about Kariva. It cleared my skin a couple months after starting it along with preventing pregnancy. Other than that my sex drive, weight, moods and eating habits have all stayed the same. I think it really differs from person to person because I love it."

Not a problem (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2016