User Reviews for Kariva

Birth Control 63 reviews 281 medications

6.1
Summary of Kariva reviews 63 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Kariva

For Birth Control "I am 18 & Kariva was the first birth control I was prescribed. Definitely does it's job birth-control wise, there was some prolonged spotting after my first period on the pill but my flow was steady after that. No weight changes, however I noticed it did nothing to help my acne, which was a factor in starting birth control. My first week on the pill, I experienced heavy nausea & diarrhea, so first timers keep that in mind. The worst part about the experience in general was the mood swings. I have always been an anxious person by nature but Kariva increased my level of self-conciousness, stress, & feeling of uneasiness. I also experienced some bouts of depression. All in all it could work well for some, but I have just switched my b.c. brand"

Maddie S (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been taking this pill for over 2 years now and I have never had any problems! It lightened my period and got rid of my cramps and acne! I have had no spotting or anything, as long as you take your pill correctly your experience with kariva will be great! No crazy mood swings and less cramps! My sex drive is the same and my breast have gone from a C to a DD while being on this pill. I have a little more vaginal dryness but nothing to crazy. I would not want to be on any other pill! Beware of getting this pill if you are with CVS pharmacy (switch pharmacys) CVS will fill kariva for you for a couple months then without your permission they switch you to a generic brand viorele and it's TERRIBLE my friends.. Best of luck to you"

fbh2561 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

For Birth Control "Kariva definitely had its ups and downs for me, but the downs were so horrible I had to go off. Pros: I never got pregnant. I stopped getting cystic acne on my chin and my skin was way clearer than it had ever been before (other birth control had been ineffective in doing this). My sex drive was not decreased at all. Cons: My boobs went from a C to spilling out of a DD and tender. I gained 10 lbs and NONE of my clothes fit anymore. My feet and ankles got so swollen that some of my shoes stopped fitting. For the first three months I spotted like crazy. After that, my periods were regular and not too bad of flow, but other birth controls had made me have a 2 day "barely there" period or not get a period at all which was way better."

Stacy S. July 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Kariva for probably 3 years or less now, and it is my favorite bc. I have tried others with crazy emotional side effects and heavy bleeding. Kariva gets rid of my period about 99% of the time, and with that, it decreases sex drive. It got rid of my acne, and constant hot flashes. I didn't gain any weight on it. In fact, I just came off of Kariva a few weeks ago due to a severe yeast infection which I had no idea what was causing, and since then my hormones are insane from being off of it. I keep binge eating, have cramps, my vagina is almost tingling a lot, my face gets very flush and red and my skin is super dry. I gained 6 lbs in that time and hadn't changed my eating patterns. I am going back on Kariva due to this."

jwall1989 May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for less than 2 years, and I guess I never read the drug information because my sex drive is near nothing. I even get annoyed when sex is brought up. My period is only 3 days long though, and no nausea or cramping to go with. But, the fact that my body refuses sex now is getting ridiculous. My doctor suggested it for me because I am pretty moody or my moods flipped a lot on everything else I tried. But Kariva was the last thing I could try. I'm breaking up with it. I miss being intimate with my boyfriend..."

kjox00 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2016

For Birth Control "This will be my 4th month using Kariva. The only thing it helped with (besides preventing pregnancy) was making my period shorter. I went from 8 long, heavy and painful days to only 2 very light, no pain days! Other than that, I've been miserable . It hasn't helped with acne at all, it actually started to cause body acne which I've never had. Also, a huge issue that I have, I'm VERY dry down there; causing it to hurt during my period when I want to insert a tampon AND painful sex. I can't even begin to describe how painful it is, it's like my insides are being torn apart & the pain doesnt go away for hours after trying to have sex. Its taking a huge toll on my relationship. I would not recomennd this pill. I will have to talk to my dr soon."

Alexanicole16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Hello, I took this birth control for four years ( I started it 15 because I was diagnosed with PCOS). Overall, it really helped me. It cleared my acne, and gave me a predictable period. The fact that it cleared my acne was the most amazing thing for me. I went from layering on concealer to cover red, even purple zits on my face to being confident in my skin. One thing I suggest if you take this medication is to read over ALL of the side effects. A little known one is constipation. I suffered from it the entire time I took this medication. Despite that one problem, this medication worked extremely well. :). Also, at age 19 I use it in conjunction with condoms to prevent pregnancy. ( take it at the same time every day and you're golden."

Jaclyn P March 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had a pretty good experience with this birth control. I didn't experience any mood swings or weight gain. I actually lost a bit of weight the two times I switched to Kariva from a different birth control. Overall I felt better on this birth control than any other that I have taken. The big issue that I had is that after taking it for a couple of months I would get breakthrough bleeding in the middle of the month. The bleeding would last so long that it pretty much a second period. It was a bit frustrating being on your period for half of the month. It might have decreased my sex-drive a bit too."

Leah55 March 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I was switched to Kariva because it was a generic version of the current birth control I was on. I do not recommend it. I would have my period normal one month and then I would get it again 2 weeks later. The second period would last for 2 weeks. It was great for controlling acne and I only gained 3 pounds being on it. It seemed to keep my mood swings down. The bad thing with it is I stopped taking it 2 months ago and I have not had a period since. I did a pregnancy test with my doctor and they verified that I was not pregnant. Down side of this is I went back to my regular birth control and I cannot start taking it until my period starts again."

Do not recommend (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been extremely happy with this birth control. After about 3 years on this bc, I had to switch pharmacies and my new pharmacy switched me to Viorele, which led to my absolute worst experience with birth control. I had headaches, felt fatigued, experienced a heavier period with more cramping, and gained weight. Finally I realized that even though Kariva and Viorele should be the same, they in fact are not!! Once I switched to a new pharmacy that would specifically fill Kariva, I lost 10 pounds in about 2 months and all the other side effects from the Viorele disappeared. After a year consistently being on Kariva, my pharmacy just switched to Pimtrea, which really upsets me that they can't be consistent with Kariva."

BoatsM (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "My doctor started me on Karvia after having a terrible experience with Chateal which gave me terrible acne. My skin started clearing up almost immediately. I do have times when I'm just in a mood due to the extra hormones but I have not experienced any nausea or pain with this medication. Overall, I have no true complaints about this."

mialarson03 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "After reading a lot of negative reviews I was nervous at first to start Kariva. I automatically thought it was going to be bad for me but I have not had one bad thing to say about Kariva. It cleared my skin a couple months after starting it along with preventing pregnancy. Other than that my sex drive, weight, moods and eating habits have all stayed the same. I think it really differs from person to person because I love it."

Not a problem (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on this for almost 2 months. It did its job of preventing pregnancy and it also cleared up my skin, but it wasn't worth the side effects. I started getting anxiety attacks and debilitating depression. It got so bad that there were days I didn't want to get out of bed. Also my sex drive was nonexistent. I didn't want to be touched at all sometimes. All of the emotional issues and the low libido really took a toll on my relationship. When I thought this could be related to the pill, I went off. It hasn't even been a week and I feel so much better."

anonymousie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I started taking Kariva in September after talking with my doctor about my family medical history. For the first month, it worked perfectly! My skin looked healthy and bright, however, a week after my period (which lasted a normal 4 days) I started my period again. I typically have a light flow with little cramps, but the flow has increased to the point where I have to change a tampon and pad almost every hour! I've been tracking my period progress for the month that I've been on it. My sex drive hasn't changed, but I am extremely dry and experienced discomfort during sex. I should be starting my third month on Kariva, but I have made the decision to contact my doctor and to search for an alternative."

kk01151993 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2015

For Birth Control "WOULD NOT RECCOMEND! this product has given me awful breakouts and a month long period."

katK293820 November 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been on this for about 3 years and experience very little cramping and other period side effects which is great. Also I haven't gotten pregnant so I guess it does the job. But I experience drastic mood swings, no sex drive whatsoever, and my hooha is like a desert. I stayed on it because I'm too lazy to make a new appointment with my gyno but its starting to drive a wedge in my relationship as the side effects are getting increasingly worse, so I plan to change soon."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on Kariva for 3 months and liked it pretty well. It definitely does its job with preventing pregnancy and also made my periods super light and short (4 days) which was nice. But I gained about 10 pounds on it which was awful! It did make my breasts fuller but the weight gain is terrible. No change in sex drive but it did cause some serious dryness for me in that I just wouldn't get wet down there which was frustrating for me and my bf! But overall not a bad price for a pill that does its job."

Bobbi_5239 August 6, 2015

For Birth Control "Took brand Mircette for 2 months. Great for skin & body adjusted quickly to brand only. Had no immediate side effects but the manufacturer never made enough. Was forced to generic. Estrogen placebos did nothing to help menstrual migraine/estrogen withdrawls dibiltating headaches. It was actually worse on this pill. Many trips to ER. On brand I didn't have the daily headaches. Sex was ridiculously painful on both & 3rd month on brand was unbearably dry in my vagina. Took kariva & had the most dibiltating migraine/daily headaches ever. All dr's denied the correlation. Had break though bleeding/spotting tampon amounts for 3 months & then anemic. Demanded to be removed off this! Get rid of your gyno if she doesn't believe you."

MissAces (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2015

For Birth Control "I LOVE THIS PILL!!! I was having a continuous period for 3 weeks from taking Loestrin after deciding I would start birth control because of my irregular periods. Went back to my GYN told her that Loestrin wasn't working for me and that I was still bleeding. She then prescribed me Kariva cuz she said I needed a higher dose of estrogen. Kariva stopped my heavy period in 1 day. I will say that u will definitely notice a change within yourself when taking this pill, not in a bad way but u will feel the changes your body is making & a change in mood while your body starts to adjust. That was my only side effect."

Brit678910 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

For Birth Control "It's kept me to where I cannot have kids which is a good thing. Sex drive is still as usual. The weird part is I don't get periods anymore. Which has caused me to fear I was pregnant, but otherwise it's fine. I have symptoms of menapause, but I am an 18 year old girl so I can't have it just yet my guess is the side effects?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I felt inclined to write a review after reading all the bad ones on here. I have been taking this birth control for almost 4 years now. Firstly, my skin feels and looks amazing and has never been better. My sex drive has not been negatively affected by taking this medication. I highly recommend this birth control for girls looking to increase their breast size (even though I am sure you are perfect the way you are!) I went from a C cup to a full DD. I didn't have any nauseous symptoms with this pill even taking it in the morning on an empty stomach. My period is not heavy either. Don't be afraid to try this medication, it could work for just like it did for me."

=) (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

For Birth Control "Beware this drug! I experienced the most horrendous mood swings and extreme anxiety while on this drug. The side effects took a while to develop but once they did it was truly unbearable. I had no idea why my personality was changing so drastically. It was truly terrifying. I wasn't making the connection between this drug and my highly elevated emotions. I told my Dr. on a whim about my terrible anxiety/mood swings and he immediately took me off of kariva. Within a week I was feeling back to my normal self. It has now been 4 months off of Kariva and I have not had one mood swing or case of anxiety. I would never recommend this drug to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, it should be taken off the market permanently."

Beware This Drug!! June 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on Karvia for about 3 months now and noticed that my breast HURT and are so tender. My periods last 4 days now instead of 3. I get mood swings too."

My breat are tender (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for about 6 months. At first I had rapid weight loss. But in the past few months I've retained several pounds of water weight. No issues with mood changes, or loss of sex drive. My period comes every Thursday of the week of the blue pills. It lasts till usually Saturday night. I've yet to get pregnant so besides these small side effects I would deffintly recommend this birth control. My skin has never been better, it's no longer oily, and I only break out the week of my period."

eieieijdje3883299 March 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I started taking Kariva May 2013 when I was 18. It was the first time I was a taking a birth control pill and I was with my boyfriend for 3 months at the time so it seemed like a smart decision. I mainly went on it to control my periods and clear up my acne which I was fed up with after years. Now I have realized that over the past year, it has made me completely emotionless and I have absolutely zero sex drive. On the bright side, my periods have been light and short (still painful cramping) and my skin has never looked better. I am going to stop taking it and try out a different pill that hopefully doesn't diminish my emotions."

Ruining my relationship August 6, 2014