User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

"Yes there is cramping during insertion. With 2 pills for pain was able to work on my feet for 4 hours right after. I have it now for a few months. I recommend just wearing pads everyday as spotting and bleeding was unpredictable the first month. I LOVE BEING HORMONE FREE. I have tried pills, implanon and depo. All made me gain weight. Light periods & no cramping were a plus but I was growing into an elephant (getting fat). I take iron supplements and am starting a HIIT exercises and looking forward to weight loss. My partner does not feel it. I sleep in a heated mattress pad so I was able to deal w the initial backaches. I'm glad I hung till the "worst" was over. Best BC decision ever."

MayaJoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I've had my Paragard for about 9 months now and couldn't be happier! I've tried to wait a decent amount of time before reviewing it but I couldn't wait any longer. I'm 25, no kids, history of regular periods (clockwork), no prior usage of hormonal bc prior to insertion. My insertion was quick & easy but mildly uncomfortable. I had it inserted on my period after having taken 2 Advil prior and afterward, my periods were light and virtually pain free! I usually have really bad cramps but for 4 months, they weren't an issue. Period stayed on its normal schedule but lasted a day longer. Periods are now slightly back to normal but still great (4 days, mild cramping), sex is great (still able to do all the fun stuff) & no changes to body or mood!"

Thriving with my copper! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had the IUD In place for 9 years. Had increasing symptoms of worsening PMS, heavy bleeding, increased pain during menstruation. Last month I found out I was pregnant. Great now it failed completely. I had it removed and subsequently lost the baby. The story doesn't end there. For two weeks I had excruciating pain and continued spotting. I went for a scan on Wednesday to find I had also an ectopic pregnancy growing in my right ovary. I went for emergency surgery and had my ovary and fallopian tube removed and an excess of 200 ml of internal blood removed. So while the IUD technically did its job it completely failed me in the end."

Didn't do its job (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello. I thought it was important to wait before sharing my experience until I reached the 4 months mark since the recommended time frame to give your body time to adjust to the device is between 3 to 6 months. After 4 months my side effects have began improving with the amount of bleeding but not the length. See below my chart that I've been keeping track of. I got the device August. I started recording in October. August & September were the worst with extremely heavy bleeding. (My body was adjusting, then the heavy periods disappeared and became regular periods) October - 5 days of spotting, 2 heavy periods, 1 light period. November - 4 days of spotting, 3 regular period, 1 light period. December - 5 days of spotting, 1 light period."

AKA_Mirrorage December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had high hopes for this birth control, reading all the effects of hormonal birth control has me afraid to try anything else. Insertion was quick but very painful, worst pain I have ever felt in my life. So make sure you take some Motrin at least 1hr beforehand. Adjusting period wasn't bad, spotting here and there for about 2 weeks. Some of the cons are heavier period with more cramps, but I've always had a 7 day and painful periods so I did not notice a change. Worked great I had no side effects for almost a year. Then I got pregnant with the IUD in the correct position. Luckily it was not ectopic. Still it had 1 job and failed."

Disapointedpb December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): " Had it put in two months ago. Insertion was a mildly unpleasant experience, but not bad. I went to the library to work right afterward. Cramped every few days for the first month, but I haven't felt anything this month. I still use condoms here and thats out of paranoia, but it's amazing to (mostly) not worry about getting pregnant. I've been recommending this to my friends. Just be sure you have a good doctor with lots of practice inserting IUDs. Hypochondriacs might want to use a birth control method less easy to use as a scapegoat for every headache or tired afternoon, though."

Heather J (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had two pregancies from the paraguard iud. I thought the first was rare and then I got pregnant again!!! Both of my children are healthy and a blessing. But I really didn’t want to keep expanding my family at this time. The first IUD was in for more than a year and the second IUD was in for 8 months until I was expecting another baby"

Kris12890 December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had this BC placed in OCT of 2017. The entire month that I had it in I was constantly tired, extremely bloated, bled heavily, and had no energy. I realize this BC has no hormones (I specifically chose this BC for this reason) but I listened to my body. Please do not let anyone tell you that these symptoms are normal and not caused by the IUD. I never had these symptoms on Mirena. Listen to your bodies ladies and do not let the OB tell you differently! Got mine removed after a month and a half. So happy."

Kplum (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Do not get this device. It stalks you. It dumps copper into your body by hiding in the muscles and dumping it out during stress that brings mind blowing anxiety and terrible malaise during detox. This device is detrimental to your adrenals. Adrenal burnout is a side effect. It really messes with your mind It cause emotional roller coasters that will leave you screaming at the ones you love. Drs need to get on board. Research needs to be done."

Tthill71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "POSITIVE PARAGARD EXPERIENCE! -29 yrs old, no kids, periods always regular, retroverted uterus Insertion-uncomfortable but lasted 10 min, breathe and take your motrin Cramps after insertion, bloating, went away after a couple days Next weeks had minor drop of blood spotting here and there Had a significant spot of blood 5 days before period was due..it was enough to have to clean up but then stopped completely Got my period 3 days early, had cramps that morning, took motrin, that was it for cramps Period was HEAVY-1 light, 2 filling up diva cup quickly (overflowed one night I'd wear pads until confident),1 light, 1 spotting-Total 5 days Husband can't feel it or hasn't mentioned it All in all...best decision ever! Good luck ladies!"

CorBurg November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Fatigue Joint Pain Depression Loss of libido"

LEMS87 November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had paragard inserted when I was 18. Six years later I got pregnant. This product was supposed to last 10 years. As a result of this I had an ectopic pregnancy and had to terminate. Three years later I have met the man I want to start a family with, and soon came to realize I am no longer fertile due to paragard."

At a loss. (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "After having my daughter in Feb 2010 I received the paragaurd IUD after almost 8 yrs I finally had it removed this week Nov 2017. Basically it was horrible bleeding heavily, cramping horribly was how my past 7 yrs have been. It Never subsided like I was told it would. Lots of painful ovulation that had me on the bathroom floor and my pain tolerance is substantial or so I believe as I'm covered heavily in tattoos. Anyway it was so bad super plus tampons/overnight pads combined only lasted 20mins before bleeding through. I was bedridden monthly I have had tons of medical issues I've now found out is due to copper toxicity. I now suffer from infections cysts on ovaries hormonal imbalance & toxicity"

Dontmindme (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the Paragard for 2 weeks and have had a headache everyday since the 3rd day. I have been exhausted and weak. One night I had 1 cocktail and felt like I was dying and could hardly walk without feeling like I would faint. My brain is foggy, I can't concentrate and feel like I am in a bad dream every day."

MandaLynn85 November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I'm on my 3rd month and overall highly recommend this to women who have tried everything else. Pros: Nearly 100% effective Does not effect my mood or sex drive (no hormones!) Partner can not feel during sex All natural sex (with my monogamous partner) Do not have to think about BC anymore. No monthly costs. Lasts a long time. Does not effect fertility, can remove anytime. May have protective effect against cervical cancer. Cons: Heavier, longer period. On average, 7 days and 4 of them heavy. (Before mine were 3-4 days long and light). Uncomfortable adjustment period (1-3 months post insertion). Can not control when periods will come, like you can with hormonal BC. If you already have heavy periods, this may not be a good choice."

Bree90 November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "The paragard is bad. The insertion didn’t hurt, but the side effects of copper toxicity are hell. Hair loss, brain fog, anxiety, depression, fatigue, mood swings, headaches, nausea, & the list goes on. I hate this thing, and every time I think about it- it makes me sick. I can’t wait to have mine removed. I’ve been begging my insurance and doctor’s office for over a year now to take it out. My second child is 2, and I feel like I haven’t been able to throughly enjoy her for living in hell."

Queen_BCC November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I recently had my paragard removed after approximately 7 years. I had a few heavy periods but not a big deal. I understand that some people have more trouble than others. However, some people also can handle less than others. I had my child at 37 (at this time I was financially and emotionally able to take care of a child without financial support) It was an easy birth and I was up, showered and fine within a few hours. I did raise her on my own...Note to women (and men), If you decide to have a child, know that you may be doing it on your own so do not depend on anybody else ( or taxpayers) to pay for or your child. I like this form of birth control as it did not require me to remember pills and no way I could "accidentally" ;) get pregnant"

notabitcher (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I’ve had ParaGard for almost 5 years, since I was 20. Never been pregnant nor on any other type of BC. I remember the insertion being painful, like the worst cramps I’d ever felt, but brief, and then I was crampy for a few days. Overall not horrendous. My first 4-5 periods on it were pretty gnarly, though, with really heavy bleeding and horrible cramps; I had to miss school/work even with ibuprofen. It has gotten better, though. Pre-IUD, my natural period was light with rare cramps. I love that it is non hormonal, which is why I’ve kept it in for 4.5 years, but I’m getting really sick of the heavy 6-7 day period with heavy cramps and backache every single month. I’m considering getting it removed, but don’t know of a better option for BC."

Mads123456 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I'm terrified of my first period since I've heard so many horror stories. When I got it put in it hurt REALLY bad felt like labor but I had it placed at PP where they don't numb the cervix or anything. Afterward I cramped like contractions the rest of the day, but Ibuprophen helped a lot. I bled lightly for about 3-4 days and a week in I had sex which made me bleed very lightly on the toilet paper only for that night. Other then that I've forgotten I have it and I love it so far. I've had every other BC except the shot. The implant & mirena made me bleed for months on end so I was happy I stopped the bleeding a few days after getting this in. I'm still scared of my first period, but hopefully its not bad!"

JenniferM32 November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first couple periods with the copper IUD were pretty intense with cramps and heavy bleeding- however, as each month goes by my periods have started to return to normal. Really happy I️ chose this birth control especially because hormonal bc was giving me all kinds of issues, especially yeast infections. Will be sticking with the copper for a while!"

Kayla.m November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Having bad experiences with hormones in pills causing mood swings and acne I wanted to try the non hormone Paragard and I was SO scared of insertion I read horror and good stories on it and almost backed out but I didn’t... A hour and a half before I took two midol and listened to music with one headphone out so I could hear the doctor and braced for the worst and it wasn’t painful at all more like annoying! A slight pinch and a little bit of cramping and so quick he said “I’m almost done” and I was in shock how fast it went - not even 5 minutes that I had been there, more like 2-3 and it was over! Definitely thankful and so far so good. Worth a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I was on Paraguard for about 3 and a half years. Insertion didn't hurt at all for me. I had it placed after my second child was born. Everything seemed fine for a long time, except for the super heavy periods. I accepted the periods in exchange for convenient BC. However, the periods got worse. I was starting to lose my hair, and I had no energy. I got blood work done and my ferretin levels were crazy low. Doctor told me to take heavy duty iron supplements. That helped my energy levels, but the hair continued to fall out. I also had a huge increase in anxiety, panic attacks, heart palpitations. I never had these kinds of symptoms in the past, and I'm starting to wonder if it was all related to the Paraguard. Just had it removed."

jvee1000 November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I love this! I'm 19 and never had sex or been pregnant. The insertion was honestly just about as painful as an ovarian cyst I had burst less than a year ago. IUD insertion pain lasted for about 2 minutes, and after they took out the long metal tools used to pry open the cervix, I felt kind of nauseous and like I had major period cramps. I laid down for about 5 minutes afterward. Now, three weeks later, my discharge is a bit more than normal and there is blood streaking it, just the lightest tint though. But I absolutely LOVE this birth control. My mom had hers in for about 5 years but got pregnant after it slipped down, the fetus conceived above the IUD. The baby had a .04% chance of living after removal, and today she is six years old."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the paraguard for 7 months and my periods are very heavy. Prior to this I had short light periods. I anemic to begin with so I need to take iron supplements while on my period. I have a retroverted Uterus and now have constant low back pain. Not sure if its related but I it wasn't this bad before the IUD. I can't lose ANY weight and I am always tired. I'm getting it out next week. Its just not my cup of tea but it is a very convenient birth control and isn't terrible but I am just ready to not have any thing in my body."

costagirl16 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had the Paraguard IUD inserted in Nov of 2016,I've been on several different bc pills and also nuvaring. I wanted something without hormones and that I didn't have to think about. Before when I wasn't on bc or on one of the others I mentioned I would have slight to no cramping and very light periods lasting less than 7 days. Since I've had the paraguard I experience extreme cramping and very heavy periods having to use 3-4 super plus tampons for the first 3 days and the periods last longer than before. I was told this would probably be temporary so I gave it time, it hasn't changed in almost a year. For me it isn't worth it. I'm considering getting mine removed and going back to nuvaring."

Prulaf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2017