User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "I was very nervous about getting the Paragard IUD after reading many reviews. I decided I still wanted to try it and honestly insertion was not painful at all. I read from so many different reviews of woman describing it as the worst feeling they've experienced. I was also advices to take ibuprofen before my appointment which I didn't do. I just felt pressure and not pain. I guess I was lucky! I don't really cramp and when I do it's not too painful. Prior to the Paragard my periods were very light which has changed a bit. They're not too heavy. Overall happy I went through with it!"

Cinthya J. May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Always do research before putting anything in your body. My doctor said it was safe with no symptoms except heavy periods which were crazy heavy! The actual procedure isn't bad. However, I had extreme hip pain for weeks afterwards. My stomach was always bloated and depending on how I moved, I would get a sharp pain in my lower stomach. I had extreme anxiety and depression. I couldn't sleep and I was tired all the time. I had to take sleeping pills. And holy mood swings! I cried because I ran out of hot water in the shower... The worse part was my hair falling out in clumps!!! After 2 1/2 months I was done. I've been off of it for a month and I feel so much better. My mood is better, no pain, and I'm able to sleep without pills."

Riley24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had this placed when my third child was 2 or 3 months old. Some background: I had my first kid at 18 and immediately started pills after I had him but managed to get pregnant when he was 5 months old. After baby #2 I did the shot and nuva ring and got pregnant when #2 was 2 (the nuva ring had fallen out prematurely)! I heard horror stories about Paragard but decided to give it a shot and it is amazing. Honestly the insertion pain wasn't that bad. The speculum part hurt much more than insertion. I had cramps for a few days and super heavy periods for about a year and spotting in between periods for 3 years. I'm at 4 years now and my period is super consistent and normal flow. Husband doesn't feel it all and neither do I."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Worst birth control ever. Don't get it."

Carla Di May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I cannot speak for the effectiveness of this birth control method, since I have had it for a very short time, however the insertion was nowhere near as painful as I expected. The doctor and nurse at the clinic I went to both warned that it would be very painful for a short time, but it was less than 30 seconds of sudden cramping, followed by a day of very dull cramping. I'd rate it as a 1 on the pain scale of 1-10. The doctor mentioned that if the insertion was relatively painless (it was for me), then the cramping experienced later, during the first days of a period, would also be very manageable as well."

PRB23 May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had the Paraguard IUD for 4 years it was effective birth control however, it has caused more harm to my body than good. I am not one to bash but if you like to see if you like feeling happy, if nausea and head aches are not your thing Do Not Get this Device at least until you do your research."

Paragard Hell Ride (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Awful! Made me have heavy periods for 2 years! Painful sex, depression, weight gain, anemia, insomnia, caused my gallbladder disease and if not bad enough embedded in my uterus and had to be surgically removed. Don't use."

Sjohnson83 May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Unbalanced ph the entire time"

Khppppp (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "This thing was causing so many problems for me. I bled like I was hemorrhaging during my 10-12 day periods with cramps so bad I could barely get out of bed to take care of my children. I was weak, exhausted, beyond moody, and struggled with depression. Not to mention my anxiety going to levels I didn't know existed for me. I had Paragaurd for 2 years before reading about other women with similar issues and making the choice to get it removed. My reason for choosing Paragaurd was all the issues I'd had with hormonal bc, but the side effects with this was far far worse."

Brandi A. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I literally just got this put in 15 minutes ago! I wanted to report because I've spent this whole week stressing about the insertion. Turns out it didn't hurt much at all! I'm experiencing a little cramping and bloating now but I was expecting a lot worse considering the other comments. I'm 22, never had kids, and am trying to get off the pill (currently still taking). I'll comment at a later date but the insertion was nothing especially for someone who is a chronic worrier like me. Good luck"

Sick of hormones! (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had the Paragard placed shortly after my second son was born. I was teaching at that time. I moved over that summer & worked in another edu related field. I started getting difficulties with focus & concentration. I developed anxiety and depression. I tried to teach again but my body could no longer handle stress. I went through years of therapy & doctors trying to give antidepressants & anti anxiety medication. I had the iud removed & was able to get pregnant after. Pregnancy holds onto copper & I had PPD after this pregnancy. Depression & anxiety worsened. It was affecting my nervous system causing electrical shocks in my hands & feet. I had high unbound copper & finally found the right DR to help clear the copper & decrease inflammation"

K Ellison May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "HORRIBLE! It caused severe angioedema, very heavy uncomfortable periods and when they pulled it out it was corroded. DO NOT EVER GET ONE! Read the package inserts!!! If I could rate less than 1, I would."

Shayelee (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "After having my 3rd child I had the Paragard inserted March 2017. I thought it was a great option because it was hormone free. I got my first period and it was normal but in April I did not get a period at all and was worried I was pregnant. The past month I have been severely bloated to the point that I look 5 months pregnant. It's not the baby weight because I had been working out 5 days a week and my stomach was relatively flat again until the last month. The bloating is very uncomfortable as well. It is now May 2017 and for the past two weeks I have been nauseous, had cramps and been spotting. I finally got my period yesterday and it is very heavy to the point I bled through two outfits. I used to have a light period that lasted 2 days."

Coley0982 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Sharp pains randomly through the cycle. Prolonged periods up to 13 days of bleeding. Excessive blood loss lead to fatigue, emotional instability, dry flakey skin and scalp, brittle hair as well as hair loss and I'm only 22. Reoccurring yeast infections almost every other month. Stopped pregnancy but wasn't worth the side effects. Had it just over a year."

Juleskayak (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Was affective , but was the worst thing I've done to my self . Gained 30 pounds , mood swings like crazy , many other reactions that the doctors swore wasn't because of it. I've had it out for three months and I finally feel normal again!"

Anonymous May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I chose Paragard because it is currently the only non medicated birth control option in the United States. It's important to remember that each person experiences side effects differently, so keep an open mind. Initial insertion was the worst pain I've ever experienced and had to have prescription strength pain relief prescribed... But after a few days I was back to normal. I have now had my IUD for over a year and the side effects are pretty consistent - I know what to expect now and I stay prepared. Heavy periods, intense cramping, night sweats during my period. I always keep panty liners in my purse b/c this thing has a mind of its own. Is it worth it? Yes. If you can stand some pain, you'll be fine!"

CNY May 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If you have a low tolerance for pain: Request a Valium (for before), and strong pain meds for after the procedure. This was the most painful medical procedure I have encountered so far (and no kids yet!). My body went into shock and shortly after I fainted off the exam table into my boyfriends arms, like a true Scarlet O'Hara. Extremely embarrassed, I made like a sloth and headed home to rest. The next few days were light spotting and manageable cramping. Moving fwd; your period will be more painful/heavier/longer. Take it easy when getting intimate after healing and invest in a heating pad! All said and done; No pills, no hormones, no feeling it during sex or physical activities. It's the most practical BC on the market. Worth it!"

Anonymous May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 50 with 2 grown kids. Based on family history I have another 4 years or so before menopause. Still need birth control so no surprise babies (unlikely but not impossible). Nexplanon and the mini-pill gave me crazy mood swings and depression, so it had to be no hormones. Yes, insertion hurt with several really bad cramps, but that only lasted about 10 minutes and I had forgotten to take ibrupofen ahead of time. I would suggest having some one drive you home. I was really uncomfortable driving. The cramps started to ease up that night. Mild cramps did continue off and on with some spotting for the next few days then stopped. My next period was a little heavier and 2 days longer than usual. Overall, I'm happy with paragard."

M&Ms for mom May 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Insertion of the copper coil was uncomfortable and will give you painful cramps. But I do think the pain varies a lot on the individual and their tolerance. It definitely hurt, and it made me very light-headed but that really shouldn't deter you from the long-term benefits. My issue with the copper IUD came AFTER insertion (around 1-2 hours after) when I had pain in my lower abdomen which was excruciating. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. I think it is fairly uncommon to experience pain like I did, but if you do, just know that it is normal. It lasted 48 hours, and I had to go back to the clinic because I was paranoid I had a perforation. Everything was fine, of course! Now I am cramp-free and loving my decision. Be brave!"

Phoebe Light May 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wanted to try this because pills just were not working for me and I decided a non-hormonal IUD would be my best bet. Insertion was pretty painful and I had to rest for around 15 minutes before I could actually stand up and walk. I have had it for 3 months now and I am a person that will try something for as long as possible before I have had enough. Lower back pain, painful cramps, period that lasts 2 weeks where I bleed through super tampons in two hours, and spotting for the other 2 weeks. Crouching down for longer then 30 seconds as well as sitting on hard chairs means having painful cramps for the day. For this much pain, not worth it. Does prevent pregnancy though."

Glasses Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had my daughter 2010 in December When she was 3 Months old I thought I was pregnant again (the horror at 18). I went to my local health clinic to see about what form of birth control would be best for me. The next day I was coming in for an IUD; A ParaGard! Well I had my IUD for several years and really just experienced mild pain and occasionally morning sickness. In 2015 of March (always get pregnant that month) I got pregnant & I didn't know I was pregnant until I had my period for 45 days. In 2016 I tried to have it removed and you guessed it, it was inbeded in my cervix (not put in correctly, several docs agreed) . June2, 17 I will have surgery to finally have it removed . Cant wait! baby#2 2018 hopefully :)"

MYAH'S MOMMA (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had the paragard IUD in for five years, it is supposed to be effective up to ten years but I got pregnant in my fifth year of having it and subsequently had to have an abortion. This was the single most horrific experience of my life."

Ash1980 May 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I am 32 and had my daughter in Dec 2015. I had the IUD places in April of 2016. This has been one of the worst experiences I've had. I have never been one to have any health issues and have been a very active person. I started having high blood pressure out of nowhere. I had to be put on meds.I noticed that my period was longer than I was used to and heavier (8 days or so). Later down the line I noticed my hair and scalp was extremely dry, my hair started coming out like I left some type of chemical left in it. I also started having anxiety (which I never have had a problem with) and then These contraction like pains that came around my period and then after. While it did keep me from getting pregnant the issues are not worth it. removed 5/10"

PACMsmommy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Got Paraguard inserted on my period, I'm 21 and never have had a baby. I would describe the pain as a couple deep strong cramps, but nothing horrible. My doctor numbed my uterus before hand. I had cramps right away that were pretty bad but nothing too crazy for the first few hours. After the numbing wore off, I had what I could only describe as intense labor pains/contractions. Advil did nothing and it was awful. Called my doc and she gave me Tylenol #3 which helped a lot. The pain subsided 3 days later, although I still have some cramps here and there when I exert myself too much, it's been good. My boy friend doesn't feel the strings. My period has never been heavy but now its heavy. Other than that I'm satisfied. Only paid $40 out of pocket!"

Marleeray (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I gave it more than a 1 because it did prevent me from getting pregnant while I had it. I had mine for 7 years, then had it removed with hopes of starting a family. When I had it removed by my Dr, it broke, and only part of it came out. I don't want to scare you, I know many women who have loved their Paragards and had great experiences. But mine was not so great. The piece that did not come out was embedded in my uterus. I had to have it surgically removed. The surgery cost over $90,000 before insurance. It took us a year and a half to get pregnant. I had a bunch of fertility tests done, and my husband and I are both fine. I can't prove the difficulty is from this experience, but it is possible. That is my experience."

JMNNN (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2017