User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "When I first got ParaGard I was 18, never had children, and had tried a few forms of oral birth control, all of which effected my body terribly. My OBGYN advised me not to get it due to the device being rather large in size and that given my age, the insertion would be extremely painful. Upon insertion my cramps were excruciating for about a week, then became sporadic for about a month. I also experienced bleeding for three months straight. After those few months however, I had lighter periods, no cramping and everything was wonderful, until about a year later I went in for a ultrasound check up, only to discover the device had disappeared. Turns out I'm in the 0.8% to have this happen. Apparently it happens in younger women. Be cautious."

Anonymous August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I guess I am a statistic, but my paragard fell out after only 3 months. I have never had children before. I'm really sad that the only birth control that I was willing to try failed, and failed so early on. Thankfully my husband saw a piece of string come out and asked me what that could be. That's when I realized 1/4 of the copper IUD was already out. My recovery after the insertion was not too bad, although I did have heavy bleeding for a month. I would advise skinner women with a more petite frame to be careful when going on this birth control. Don't put your hopes in it like I did."

IUD Fell Out (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Had put in place 6 weeks post partum. Had no symptoms other than I don't think I've lost as much baby weight. Same diet as with previous babies. Perhaps I'm older but it is unusual how my body is acting. Also, periods are terrible. Second time out of 4 periods that I've thought I was pregnant. I've always had 24 day cycles with a 2 or 3 day flow. Now there is no consistency and a 7 day flow. And I'm going on 36 days no period so I'm going to take a pregnancy test. I don't like not knowing!! :("

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I'm 34 years old mother of one and had my paragard in for a year and a half. The only positive thing I can say about this iud is that I did not get pregnant. That being said, the side effects were so awful that I just recently had it removed. My periods were almost unmanageable. Think super plus tampon, with a pad, and bleeding through both within 2 1/2 hours for the first few days. Please believe me when I say this is not an exaggeration. I also experienced: painful cramping, spotting between cycles, weight gain, acne (not usual for me), and horrible bloating. I only give it five stars because, as I said before, I didn't get pregnant. However I would never recommend this iud to anyone and am very anxious to feel like myself again"

Miss.meowgi (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had the copper IUD for 3.5 months. My periods went from 2-3 days and super light (I never even need to wear tampons and sometimes barely liners) to 7-9 day periods that were heavy. I would feel contractions closer to my period (in addition to cramps). The pain with this IUD was unbearable. Anytime I stretched, moved, had sex, etc I could feel it. I had it checked at the hospital and was told it was in the right place. I got several infections (bladder infection/UTI and 3 yeast infections) all within this timeframe. I had constant back pain. If I went to the bathroom, it would hurt to pee or when I pushed. Once removed, I had instant relief and problems went away almost immediately. Oh and a seizure after insertion."

canadianwoman (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had the Paragard inserted at 6 weeks postpartum. I had just started a cycle, but it wasn't until 3 months later I had another cycle, which was fine with me. My next cycle was normal, but that's when it took a turn for the worse. I began having new cycles every 14 days or less, bleeding after intercourse, and pain with intercourse. I had 5 cycles in 60 days some with bleeding lasting as long as 12 days. I went to my OBGYN. She did an ultrasound to confirm placement; it was placed correctly, but incidentally found an ovarian cyst. She put me on 3 months of oral birth control to help regulate the bleeding. After 10 days of taking the pill I started a new cycle. I have been bleeding for 14 days straight with no signs of letting up."

Shandellerose (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this birth control, I was a little sore for the first few months but I totally got use to it and now it doesn't feel like anything. I had it since I was 21 and I'm turning 24. Gonna keep it until I want children:)"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was not too painful to insert, but I was very scared to do it. Periods lasted 12 days + on this and the cramps were so painful I would end up complaining about them. Which is not cute. My periods would start off as black goo for the first 3 days. Took it out after 5 months. Would still rather this over birth control pills. Don't want to mess with hormones."

LuckyLucy August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I am 23 years old and have not had any children and I believe this is a lot of the reason why paragard reeked such havoc on my uterus and body. I gave Paragard a shot because I was told it was one of the most "natural" forms of birth control and I have never met a pill that I could tolerate. I thought the no hormones involved with the Paragard would be the answer for me. I had the IUD in for a year and was miserable the whole year. Here were some of my symptoms... Chronic lower back pain which made it uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time, Sharp pain in my right hip area which travelled down my leg to my foot, 2 week long periods with heavy flow & painful cramps, Light headedness when exercising, anxiety, mood swings, irritability."

Shea Victoria August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I have been using the Paragard IUD for one year now. I have 2 children and don't want anymore. I tried both Mirena and Nexplanon and both caused me to have 21+ days of bleeding at a time so I had to go with the only long term option of hormone free bc I could get. Insertion was not painful, I was prescribed Misoprostol and a sonogram technician was present. The first 3-4 periods were heavy and painful but after that they became more normal. Overall I'm happy with my decision to use this bc and really I'm hoping this will continue to work out for as long as possible."

Crueltyfree August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "After almost being scared away from this IUD, I realize that each individual was in different age groups and may or may have not had children. I am a 45, 4 kids last one is 2. I cannot take regular birth control as it is a depressant for me. After reading several blogs, reviews and Facebook. I almost cancelled. My final research from a natural doctor explained a lot. So I suggest that you find a naturalist and read articles based on their finding about this specific IUD. My appointment was done with my doctor and a sonogram technician she was able to implant the IUD while fully being able to see inside of cervix I had mild cramping and went home and had a mild. There have been no side effects I couldn't be happier highly suggest 10yr 99% guarantee. No your body and what you do to it you should be fully satisfied!"

TLavine (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I just recently decided to switch from the NuvaRing, that I had been on for nearly 2 years, to the Paraguard. I was very anxious and depressed on the ring, so I am hoping that changes with this non-hormonal option. Insertion was insanely painful. During the procedure I was seeing stars. The cramps I have had after insertion have come and gone. It's been a week straight of sharp pains every now and then with a constant dull pain. I am staying optimistic regardless of these awful reviews. Everyone's body is different, and obviously the side effects will differ from person to person. My advice to anyone thinking about getting one is be aware of what can happen, but you never know what will happen until you try it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I got the Paraguard 2 years ago. The insertion process wasn't bad I had mild cramping during insertion and strong menstrual cramping after which lasted 2 days max. I experienced very heavy bleeding for about 4 to 6 months. I had to wear thick pads and often bled through. After approx. 5 months the bleeding began to normalize. I like the fact that Paragard is very effective however my complaints are overactive bladder, break-through bleeding and long periods. My periods last 9 to 16 days. I consulted my doctor on my concerns and was informed that this is normal and within the side-effects of the paragard. Although my bleeding isn't heavy anymore, I dislike that it last so long. I am contemplating having it removed"

Simontruthsayer August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I have been "sick" with adrenal fatigue and many other side effects for the last 18+ months from this device."

Katielady2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I love my paragard! It's the best decision I ever made. I wish I would have known about this method of birth control sooner. Was on the pill for 18 years prior, and did not like the side effects that were developing. My periods are about the same, maybe a little heavier."

Megs41084 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I developed overactive bladder and spotting a lot between periods and pain during sex. It also gives me pregnancy symptoms. I HATE IT ."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "10 years of being babyproof! A+"

Jvee25 August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Getting the IUD inserted was a very smooth process. My doctor gave me a paracervical block which numbs the cervix. I believed that helped tremendously. There were some twinges and pressure but it was over very soon and I was expecting crazy pain after reading bad experiences here but I did not experience any of that. She measured my uterus before inserting the paragard to make sure it would fit. The minimum is 6.5cm. I have tried hormonal pills in the past and end up having chest pains and weird arm numbing. On the scare and chance that I could have a blood clot from hormonal pills I elected for the Paragard (NON HORMONAL copper IUD) I think this is the best choice for me and aside from spotting from the insertion I have had no issues"

Jerica (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I've had the paragard for 10 years, having it removed tomorrow bc it's time. I'm not replacing it bc I no longer need birth control. I'm apprehensive about the removal bc putting it is was excruciating. Mind bending pain during insertion. But it was worth it. I've had 10 years of worry free birth control that I didn't have to think about. I would absolutely recommend paragard to my daughter in the future"

Medicmomma (taken for 10 years or more) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Not only was it extremely painful to put this thing in, I had it removed 7 years later (10 year copper Paraguard) and one of the top arms broke off and is stuck inside of me and will probably have to be removed. I am reading many stories about these breaking. Thank goodness I am done having children. If I were wanting to get pregnant I would be even more furious right now."

TJF (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I have had 2 Paraguard IUDs. Took the 1st one out to get pregnant, got the 2nd after my daughter was born. Both times, I had heavier periods, but it seemed better than hormonal birth control that makes me crazy. After 2 and a half years, I started having strange side effects. Lots of acne, dry skin, swollen lymph node, anxiety, depression, trouble sleeping, hopelessness. My doctor said that my swollen lymph node is associated with the liver. My acupuncturist said she thought I had liver congestion. I researched excess copper in the body. ALL. MY. SYMPTOMS. Had it removed within 2 days. Felt immediately better. My acne started healing within a few days. Not feeling depressed anymore. It was great until it wasn't."

Crazypants (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Horrible! Had a period every 2 weeks the whole time! Spotting regularly, terrible cramps, repetitive infections."

Beccak9 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had this inserted in November of 2015. At 38, with two kids and both cardiac and connective tissue disorders, the Doc's and I agreed that a hormone free birth control solution was right for me. I was getting migraines on the pill. The docs said my heart can't handle another pregnancy and delivery. In July, I found out I was pregnant! I never thought I'd have to consider abortion, but looking down 40 with a 13 and 11 year old, my husband, the doctors and I decided it was the best decision. Paragard, in theory, is a great product. However, my experience was heavier periods, extreme cramping and then a pregnancy that resulted in an abortion."

Unhappy mama (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "This has been the worst experience ever! I've had it for almost a year and will have it removed soon. The cramps all throughout the month alone is enough for me. Yet I also have the constant spotting, and odd color discharge. I have gained tons of weight and I've had BV constantly since having this placed. Who wants to have sex when your odor is embarrassing? Can't wait to have this thing removed."

Sierra V July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I got pregnant with this. Don't think it can't happen."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2017