User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "I just got the paragard inserted today. I am 28 and just had my first child 5 months ago. I was very nervous after reading some reviews but I hate taking birth control with hormones..so this is a great option. It hurt a little more than a pap, nothing unbearable. It only took him less than 5 minutes to insert it. They just use the speculum and swab the cervix with some stuff to clean it first and then insert it. He wanted me to be on my period to get it in..Im not positive of the reason but I'm thinking its so your cervix is more open? As of now its great, but waiting to get my next period to see if its heavier like some reviews ive read. Overall happy :)"

MB88 August 26, 2016

"I thought it would be best to wait a few months to write a review- I got the paragard 5 months ago now and as everyone says it was pretty painful getting it inserted but nothing unbearable. Took paracetamol afterwards and hot water bottle and was back to completely normal at the gym 2 days later. I have had every type of contraception under the sun and none have agreed with me- weight gain, mood swings etc. I have also had terrible cramping previous to getting the paragard, I would be in bed for 2 days so they really tried to sway me against the copper iud as it usually makes periods sorer and heavier- unbelievably it has taken my cramps almost completely away. I wish I had got this 5 years ago honestly. Really recommend!"

Ceee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I read a bunch of reviews and was terrified when I walked into the office. I really think part of the pain happens because you move/shift or expect it to be terrible and tense up. My doctor talked through my concerns and then we did it. :) It was fine. With that said, I also took 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol an hour before it was inserted. The cramping was very slight... actually less than a period cramp and it was over in under 2 minutes. I did find that I felt not great when sitting in a chair for the rest of the day. If you get it done in the morning, try to take the rest of the day off. Have some ice cream, treat yourself to a mani-pedi while you binge watch netflix. :) My Info: 0 kids, low threshold for pain, mid 20's"

Painless and Happy August 25, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had Paragard for a total of 5 weeks. Never felt so miserable in my life. I bled for the entire time I had Paragard, with 2 heavy periods and constant spotting in between. I gained weight (I was back in my skinny jeans 5 weeks after giving birth but had to wear yoga pants again while on Paragard because of serious bloating that made me look 5 months pregnant). I developed anxiety, depression, panic attacks while driving (I'm a professional driver), bloating, cramping, feeling extremely fatigued all the time, constant back and neck pain, major hair loss, anger, headaches (I never suffer from headaches because I hydrate all day). Had it removed yesterday and already feeling so much better and happier. Neck/back pain is gone..."

Wardour August 24, 2016

"I just got the Copper IUD inserted today and it was an all round positive experience, considering the contrast to some reviews and warnings from doctors about the difficulty of insertion for women before childbirth (I'm only 20). The procedure took less than 10 minutes and was sore, but mostly because it's a very unusual sort of pain and something the body is not used to dealing with. But it is in now way unbearable and the pain went away as soon as they withdrew the instruments from my vagina. It also helped that the doctor was extremely good looking (lololol I was giggling half the time). I took a book in with me and just read extracts to the doctor and nurse whilst they were fiddling around inside me. Will review again in a few weeks!"

GabStah August 24, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "So today I got the IUD implanted. And the process is more of an uncomfortable unusual feeling than painful. It will in fact hurt however it will not be unbearable, you will just react to it because it's like a cramp x100. It took an hour for them to place the IUD because i'm 22 and i've never had a child before so it was difficult to stretch my cervix enough to fit the IUD in. So if you're young and you've never had a child expect a lot of discomfort and difficulty in the process of implanting the IUD. However, I felt that it was totally worth the experience and i'd do it again if I had to. I'll update my review in a couple of weeks but right after the insertion i felt zero pain. I rode my bike home with no problem, just a little shaky"

Amber-reviewing implant August 24, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "The insertion was crampy but it only took a few minutes. I've been on the Copper IUD (ParaGuard) for almost 2 months now and it has been great so far! I was a bit crampy the week after I got it inserted then I started my period, which I had bad cramps for the first day or so, but it was fine after the beginning of my period. My period was also heavier than it normal was but it lightened up for me after a few days of being on my period. After my period was over, i only got cramps every so often about a week or so after, but it's been great. my next period was better, less crampy and it wasn't as heavy as before. I'm just overall happy about getting Paraguard, I was nervous at first because of the bad reviews, but this is a good review!"

emilybrotherto (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I chose the Paragard since it was hormone free and a long term birth control option. Insertion wasn't very painful, but I did bleed for 4 days afterwards. The first 6 months my periods were extremely painful and 7-8 days long. After 6 months the cramping wasn't as bad but the length of period remained. I've had it over a year and have noticed some extreme differences in my life. I feel fatigued often, have gained 10 lbs without a dietary change, my mood swings are crazy. I can't prove that Paragard is the cause of these, but I have a great reason to believe that. I am having it removed this week and I cannot wait."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2016

"I have had my copper iud for 8 months. I was 18 when i got it inserted and had been sexualy active for only six months. I really recomend finding the best gyno for insertion. Mine was amazing and has ton of experience, she gave me a prescripton for the night before and told me to take 3 ibuprofen before, i did. The insertion was not as bad as i thought and lasted 1 min. I did feel dizzy and immidiatly passout when i stood up. I felt pain the first two weeks and as expected the first few periods where a nightmare . But thank god its worked great and i forget its in. Get a good gyno with lots of experience, 10/10 so far"

Cristiiiiiii August 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I started off with the mirena and had it for 4 1/2 years with no issues... Took it out cause my husband nd I wanted another baby! So now I have the paraguard nd I've had it in for 1 1/2 years with no issues... First day a little cramping nd spotted for three days very lightly... This is the best ever nd it's good for 10years , I would recommend to anyone... Nd it's hormone free..."

MzLouis86 August 20, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "My first expulsion happened two days after insertion. Tried using Paragard again, and my body rejected it after a week. I like the concept on Paragard and I wish it would've worked for me."

12343211234321hi August 19, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I only just got the Paragard inserted, so I can only speak on that for now. I'm 23 with no children. I took 2 ibuprofen before going. Had a bit of cramping during the insertion but it didnt last long. Didn't have a lot of cramping throughout the day like I expected, I cleaned the house and everything without a problem. So overall its been so far so good."

Kirby31 August 19, 2016

"I got it inserted at age 24 (almost 2 years ago) and it hurt like hell. It is regularly suggested to women who've had children already because they have to slightly open the cervix to insert it, and I have no kids, but it is worth it. It contains no hormones, which means less damage to your body, and the efficacy is about 99.9%. Lasts up to 12 years, or you can have it removed any time before that."

CassieJanae7699634221 August 17, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Just got Paragard inserted this morning at 0800MST. I'm a 27 year old female with 1 son (one and done).My personal experience was fast and pain free. I did take the 800mg of ibuprofen as directed, it was done by a certified midwife, she was very thorough during the process and she let me know everything she was doing. Upon having the iud inserted and placed, there was very minimal cramping. I've had periods with worse cramping, for sure. The only other slightly uncomfortable young was the speculum to hold you open but that's it. This procedure was nothing. I can't wait to track my progress being that this thing will be a part of me for the next 10 years."

Billie Jeane (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Im 22, no kids. I chose the paragard because it is hormone free. I was told it would be painful, so of course i expect the worst. Its not that bad. Now, don't get me wrong. It hurts. Dont make any plans for the rest of the night. I suggest a movie night with lots of cold ice cream. After the first few days you don't even feel it. It's great."

Anonymous August 14, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Hello, just wanted to tell you guys about my experience with Paragard, I am 34 and have 4 boys, so I wanted a birth control that would be for years, since I don't want no more kids, so I chose Paragard, it has been a month since I got it, when I got it inserted I just felt a mild cramp and that was it, I was in my period so It was much easier to get it in because of my cervix been more open, after I got it in and went home home I had mild cramps and backaches but nothing that I couldn't manage, and my period lasted for 14 days that was the only part that I hated the most, I was almost ready to take it off, When my period stop,(yay), I love it no problems while having sex, everything is back to normal..."

Merry123 August 12, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Hello all! For me I chose paragard as a hormone free birth control. I've had mine for almost 5 years. I love it! Insertion was quick and easy, felt like a cramp, but was gone moments afterward. The first few days I had mild spotting and a few cramps. My periods are now heavier for a day or two of my cycle, but have gotten less heavy in the past 6 months, and I occasionally have light cramps. My periods are regular (4-5 of bleeding) and come as expected each month. I honestly forget the paragard is there for the most part. My husband never "feels" a thing, and we don't stress about accidentally getting pregnant. I am 25, no children, no past pregnancies."

Akbrock23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

"I had the copper IUD inserted today because I wanted a long term contraceptive without hormones as i am breastfeeding. I chose a clinic that has an ultrasound to check before and after the insertion. It was about five minutes for the entire procedure and it was not more painful than a pap smear with very similar sensations. I did have bleeding afterwards but no cramps so far. The bleeding is nowhere near the amount you would get after a vaginal delivery. It helps to take two advils an hour before. Plus it definitely helped to have had 4 natural vaginal births too! Please do not let the fear of insertion prevent you from trying it. The alternative of labor or abortion is much worse than a few minutes of discomfort."

ashery1234 August 9, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I just had my third device inserted today after having a baby recently. The first was inexplicably expelled a few years after placement, the second was noted to not have proper placement on an ultrasound, unrelated to the device, so it was removed. While I've had the device I have not had a noticeable change in my periods, weight or mood. I am pleased with the IUD despite my previous experiences, although I do not feel like they were negative because they did not cause me harm or pain. I am very pleased with the IUD. It provides me protection and I do not have to worry about taking a pill every day, missing a pill or taking something with hormones."

Julie Beni August 5, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have two kids - both born vaginally. Needless to say, my cervix is used to being stretched. I decided on the paragard (due to it being hormone free and my pre-existing mental health problems) shortly after I gave birth a year ago, but it took me a year to overcome the horror stories. I'm here to tell you that yesterday, I bit the bullet and got it done. It. was. easy. In in less than a minute. The little tube the IUD slides through to deploy into your uterus looks big and painful, but take 800mg Motrin before hand and you shouldn't feel anything more than a scrape and a pinch. I had a minuscule amount of spotting, and a day later I still have mild cramps, but it's nothing I can't handle. Highly recommended!!!"

ASTRIDXX (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I got ParaGard yesterday. I'm a 20 y/o with no kids who's never had a Smear done and I was super nervous about getting my ParaGard in after reading a lot of reviews. I chose ParaGard because it is hormone free as I was having not great experiences with other pill forms of birth control including hair loss, as well as my thyroid acting up. I went to PP to get the IUD. I'm not going to say it was painless but not at all as bad as I had read. It felt like a huge cramp and the pain went away the second she was done which took about 2 minutes. It's extremely quick and worth it. I cramped all that day but then when I woke up I felt fine with a light discharge that is very normal. 10 years is worth the cramps."

Aniulights August 3, 2016

"I had the iud inserted yesterday and I was not expecting the pain I was about to go through. She first had to look inside my uterus to see if it would fit since I haven't had any kids before and she did that by opening my uterus and feeling around. It was some of the worst pain I've gone through and the doctor ensured me that what I was feeling was normal. After she inserted it I felt nauseous from the pain and felt cramping afterward. Worst cramping I've ever felt. I'm hoping it'll get better."

Anonymous July 31, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I've had my Paragard for 10 months and it is a nightmare. My periods last 16+ days which have led to at least 5 UTI's from inserting tampon after tampon. I'm now ALSO taking birth control pills to try and lessen the bleeding but it hasnt helped. I'm 43, 1 birth, 1 miscarriage, 1 abortion. My insurance only covered the Paragard after having Mirena's in the past. I have an appt in 4 weeks to get it removed and get another Mirena. This is absolute nonsense to be bleeding for over 2 weeks every month."

omfgmimi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2016

"Just a bit of info before I share my experience. I never had kids. Recommend taking 4 pills of Ibuprofen with food before your IUD placement 1 hr before. My pain level is not very good so that is another thing to keep in mind. I chose paragard because hormones BCP makes me gain over 30 lb in 1 year was on ortho lo and nuva ring. Did not like it at all. Paragard IUD so far placement was painful. Most painful part was dilation and placement of IUD. Pain is like abdominal and vaginal cramps that are 7/10 scale. my periods are heavy I'm lucky to not have cramping on my IUD but man I had really heavy period for 3 weeks. Dr. State that this is normal. Other than that my appetite is back to normal. Weight is finally dropping too. Very happy."

Lan26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"I am 26 years old and just got my hormone free IUD today, I am only giving a review about the insertion experience. I wasn't scared because my OBGYN explained the process very clearly before hand. I didn't take any Ibuprofen or Tylenol, but I was given a heating pad ten minutes before the insertion, and that helped with the pain. I had three major cramps during the procedure and then it was over. The whole thing lasted about three minutes. Two hours later, I'm having some minor cramping but a heating pad help and Tylenol is helping. So far, my best advice for aftercare is a movie night!"

Rose8888 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016