User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 263 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

"I've had my Paragard IUD for right at a year it was put in for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. After insertion I did get a little bit of bleeding and then immediately I got my period. It became regular after that. On September 1st, I got spotting that wasn't normal for me, then a week later got what I thought would be my normal period. It is not normal - 46 days later and I'm still bleeding. At 19 days, I was told that it was steroid injections I was getting in my neck after a minor car accident I was in. I stopped getting them and no change. 2 weeks ago, I went back to the gyno and they put me on progesterone and said that it should stop the bleeding in 10-14 days. During the time I was on the progesterone, the bleeding became lighter. Now 4 days after I finished the progesterone, its back to Heavy"

Blondie1015 October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "My experience was great! I was so nervous about inserting it in but it was painless. My doctor told me to cough while she was inserting it and felt nothing. I had no pain just felt tired that day but besides that the cramping was very mild feeling nothing really (lasting only 2 days) It’s been 1 week so far and I feel like nothing is there. Best birth control for me. I’ve took the pills before and would forget to take my pills and stress out. Now I’m stress free and so glad I have chosen this form of birth control."

Lexiss (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the IUD placed back in April of 2017. The pain from insertion was short lived. Honestly, if you are used to having painful cramping, you will not be greatly affected by the insertion. If you have a low pain tolerance, you might want to have some OTC pain meds with you. Also, wear a panty liner, my OB didn't provide one at insertion and there was some bleeding. The first few months, my cramps were a bit stronger, but nothing I couldn't function normally through; flow was also a bit stronger, but again, nothing I couldn't function normally through. I do remember feeling an occasional twinge of pain if I sat down too hard the first month and sex left me feeling a very dull ache in the area where the IUD sits. It's been fine ever since."

jillbert (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had my paragard inserted in the office in June of 2015. Per my OB it was in place at my 6 week check up. In the first 4 months after insertion I had moderate to severe cramping and was informed by my OB that this was normal. In June 2016 my IUD was no longer visible in my cervix. An ultrasound was scheduled. Four days later I had a positive pregnancy test. The ultrasound confirmed the pregnancy and the IUD was not visible so was assumed to have fallen out. I gave birth in February of 2017. A follow up X-ray and subsequent hysterectomy confirmed the paragard was still in my body, but not in my uterus. I had my Paragard surgically removed in October 2017 and it was found to have perforated my uterus and small intestine."

Amynonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had the Paragard inserted after my son was born in 2011. For 5 and a half years I loved it and recommended it to all my friends. I liked the reliability of the IUD as a non-hormonal birth control option.... until I got pregnant. Shock of my life! I had the IUD removed yesterday and am waiting to see what happens with the pregnancy."

GeorgiaGirl121212 October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I felt the need to share my experience because it was very unlike the majority of what has been shared here. A lot of these stories had me scared to death. So, my pain tolerance is VERY low and I thought this was going to be the worst pain in my life. Long story short, it really wasn't. Of course there was a sharp pain, but after that wave, there was only about a minute left and then it was over. I also went and got it put in on my period to help reduce the pain. I would rate it an honest 9/10 pain for about 30 seconds. The cramping afterwards was pretty strong like a 6 or 7/10, but pain meds should help with that. The cramping was pretty mild the next day. There was additional blood with my period which has lasted a couple extra days. I have no regrets."

KateHamkle October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insertion was painful and I was down for the count for a few days after. For the following 6 months I had the heaviest periods I have ever experienced & the worst cramps. So bad I couldn't get out of bed some days. The cramps and the heavy flow have slowly gotten better since then. Its been almost 2 years now."

JusyCasey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "When I had the paragard inserted it was the worst pain of my life.. I had a panic attack and I was screaming and crying. I had it inserted at planned parenthood so there was no pain medication, no dilation, not done on my period. I've never had a baby so that might have made it worse for me. Cramps and lingering pain lasted a few days after that. After the pain went away I loved paragard for my birth control! Until I started getting yeast infections every month, sometimes twice a month! I had to change just about everything about my life to avoid getting yeast infections since I was now so prone to getting them. After one year I decided enough was enough and it was removed"

Kate635 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I have had an AWESOME experience with my ParaGard, and wanted to share it since people tend to only post negative reviews online. I got my ParaGard about a month ago. There definitely was pain/cramping at the time of insertion, but it wasn't really horrible; it felt like really, really bad period cramps for a few minutes, and then it subsided. I had pretty bad bloating/gas/cramps for the first week and a half, and then it subsided. I'm at the end of my first period with it at the moment. My periods are usually ~5 days long, and with the ParaGard it has been about 7 days. Cramps are definitely a bit more painful, but nothing advil can't take care of! I love love LOVE my ParaGard and definitely recommend it!"

Cranmree (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I had two children before getting the IUD, so my insertion was pretty much painless. I did experience some bleeding afterwards, and I felt a little strange a few weeks later, but I eventually felt normal again. I'll continue to update my review on this product."

Anonymous October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insertion actually wasn't even bad. I was terrified for it but just felt like really strong period cramps. I had cramping for about a week after insertion and since then everything has pretty much been fine. My period is definitely a little heavier, nothing major though and I still don't cramp during my period. This is seriously the best form of birth control! No hormones to deal with and I am so happy I don't have to think about birth control for 10 years. I'm so glad I tried it."

retailgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Paragard was the first BC ever used at 27yrs old, after my second child. The first 3-6 months were horrible heavy periods but they adjusted to heavy bleeding the first 2 days of my period... Everything was going great until 2 yrs later, now 29 out of no where I started feeling heart palpitations, trouble breathing, sweating. I figured it was high blood pressure and scheduled an appointment right away. I'm perfectly healthy but was asked to get lab work done and also asked about my birth control....Doctor told me that IUD's cause heart palpitations. Lab work came back with mild Anemia, so now I'm really bummed out because I no longer feel safe with these BC options, but also after doing some research, heart palpitations may persist after removal."

Lina1234 October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Yes, ParaGard hurt like hell when it went in four years ago and the first few days left me achy. I occasionally have some cramping during my periods. But I will say, it was so worth it. No issues with pregnancy at all and none of the side effects from the high hormone pills I used to be on. These people who experienced crazy changes shouldn't be so harsh since the negative experiences are so rare. Also, I don't know if some of these side effects people are mentioning are directly related to the IUD...it is easy to blame something when it could be something else. Be informed and make the choice based on sound SCIENTIFIC research, not some review."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Personally, I do not think paragard is the right form of contraception for me! I had the IUD placed on August 8th and literally bled NON STOP until September 7th. And then I started my period AGAIN on September 25th, and the bleeding is even worse this time. I've been wearing the largest size tampons you can buy, and still have to change them EVERY HOUR or else I leak through. I've been wearing a pad every night with the ultra size tampons and still have to get up and change both once during the night! The cramps are horrendous and my sex drive is nearly non existent... I've been feeling extremely weak, light headed and very fatigued! Will be having my IUD removed asap."

mk6gli30 October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "This review site is just a bunch of people fear mongering. Saying that you have hormonal side effects after switching from the pill, and blaming it all on the copper IUD, is uninformed. All the horrible reviews almost scared me out of getting the Paragard, but I'm so happy I did it. It did hurt really, really bad going in, but it was so worth it. Every woman is different, and things affect us differently. Try it for yourself, and don't let all the negativity here scare you. You can always have it removed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "When I was on the paragard there was not one day I had zero bleeding. So annoying for 5 months. I have never been depressed but when I was on this I was feeling sadness that I've never had. I was SO irritable it was crazy how fast I could snap. I had extreme pain 2 weeks after they put the IUD in like it felt like I was dying. Got an ultrasound and everything was okay....it was so freaking scary though. I was constantly bloated. Sex was painful like very painful and I had zero sex drive. I was always tired. I think I may have had copper toxicity."

GracieLee320 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "After 6 months with this IUD I couldn't take it anymore. I HAD to have it removed. I have never ever in my life dealt with depression/anxiety/panic attacks until I got the Copper IUD. (Before the IUD my periods were fairly light and 4-5 days on average. Light PMS. Some back pain) with the IUD they were 7-8 days. So heavy I had to wear a pad and a jumbo tampon and change every 2 hours HORRIBLE cramping to where my only relieve was laying in bed curled up with heating pad. Midol/Tylenol rarely made a difference. Around my time of PMS I would suddenly feel very very depressed and sooo fatigue. And then my mind would race into a downward spiral where I would then panic I would feel this way forever.... Glad to have this out & be me again!!!!"

Alexis77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I've had this IUD for over 5 yrs . It never crossed my mind that the IUD could be causing all my problems until I came across copper toxicity while finally looking up if anyone else had problems. This IUD has ruined my life my marriage and my ability to be the mom I used to be. It has caused extreme fatigue I am 28 yrs old and have felt my body slowly breaking down first it started with heavy bleeding and cramps then I started cramping everyday I have period cramp ands constant bloating. Then I was diagnosed with gastritis 3 yrs ago and polycystic ovary syndrome 2 yrs ago and it was recommended that I get a hysterectomy by my ob/gyn again I am only 28 so I didn't get it. Also I have heart palpitations dizziness hot flashes and hairloss."

gonfammla September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I got the Paragard because I was sick of having to pick up my pill prescription and I love the idea of a non-hormonal birth control. I really wanted to get my body back on its natural cycle as I have been on the pill for years. The insertion was PAINFUL, as expected. Would not recommend working that day. But so far I am loving it. I bled for the first 4-5 days, nothing too heavy, and have since stopped. My sex drive has already increased, and I lost 5lbs within a week of being off the pill (added bonus). I have not reached my first period with it yet, so I am expecting more cramps/heavier bleeding, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion. Lots of negative reviews on here, so I wanted to write a positive one!"

coenh September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "This IUD doesn't work. My daughter is 8 weeks pregnant after having it put in over a year ago. The Dr's acting so surprised! In an attempt to remove the IUD the damn string broke off. No idea what the out come will be. But this has caused an extreme amount of stress for my daughter. The stats on the effectiveness of this IUD need to change."

Gran Gran September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the paraguard for over two years. It has done a great job being a contraception. It has, however, created a lot of problems, which is why I'm getting mine removed in four days and will never use it again and warn my friends to do the same. My first symptom was migraines with onset of menstruation. Within a year, I had gained 15 pounds. I had a rash on my face that my dermatologist couldn't diagnose. At 18 months in, I was diagnosed with severe depression and put on antidepressants. And, the entire two years, I had a week of bleeding before my period, extra discharge (I had to wear a panty-liner every day) and painful mid-cycle cramps called mittelschmerz. I am amazed that this product hasn't been more carefully studied."

AWMD September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I got the paragard inserted in March. Since then heavy periods and horrible cramping My cycle has been the same up until now. I'm 11 days late with horrible cramping. It's non hormonal so I shouldn't be missing any periods and I don't see why my cycle would suddenly change now after 5 months having it in... worse birth control ever... I don't want to experience a pregnancy scare while on a birth control that claims to be 99.7 effective"

Chicki September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "I am on my 4th month of Paragard and the horrible cramping/long periods have ended! I usually have very light periods to begin with, so maybe that is why I only had 3 longer than usual periods with this, while other people have that for up to a year. Either way, I highly recommend!"

ChelsieDawn (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have literally zero side effects. Copper toxicity is non-existent with the IUD unless you have a specific disorder that you would know about way before getting an IUD. I feel sorry for people who believe in that kind of nonsense. I chose this method because I have a clotting disorder. If I didn't, I would get sterilized, but I don't want to risk the clotting that sometimes comes with surgery. My insurance, Ambetter from Buckeye Healthplan that I purchased on the Obamacare marketplace refused to cover the cost of the IUD despite it being pre-authorized and in-network, so that was the only bad thing."

Ketsuban September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper): "Everyone makes the paragard out to be some big bad monster. The ONLY negative thing about getting off the pill and onto the paragard for me was I've had a little bit of acne since I'm not on hormones anymore. It felt like a pinch when I got it inserted. I had moderate cramps for two days and that's it, and it didn't make my period heavier AT ALL. It really isn't that bad! The only worry I had was that there were 43 days between my first and second period on paragard."

Annie SG (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2017