User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 240 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "I had the paraguard for 7 years. I was 20 with no children. I'm also forgetful and wanted a birth control that I didn't have to worry about taking every day like the pill.I tried the depo shot but gained too much weight. I had absolutely no problems except for the fact that it was very painful when inserted, I'm sure that it had something to do with me not being pregnant before. But..... I became pregnant last September. Either my iud moved because I became pregnant or because it had moved beforehand, I'm not sure. Either way I couldn't feel the string and didn't schedule annual exams so I believe this caused me to become pregnant. I urge everyone with an iud to make sure you check yourself once a month and schedule exams every year!!"

Mommabearbabyjer (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I've had paraguard since 2012 and I've not had any pregnancy mishaps. I check my string regularly and my cycles are normal. When I first had it put in my periods were very heavy with more cramping. Sometimes it would be lighter and at other times it would be so heavy I'd change a super tampon every hour and still bleed through! This has improved greatly with time. The only side effects that I have had is I have cyst to rupture maybe 2x year and I gained weight right before getting this put in and I've still not been able to lose the weight. I will get this taken out in the next year d/t starting a family but I will get another one once we are done growing our family. I enjoy this product and it's easy to maintain; no hormones, no forgetting"

Mental health management September 20, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Had the IUD inserted on 08/01/2016 in August, no cramps initially but About 2 hours after the insertion i started feeling cramping but nothing Advil and a warm towel didnt help with. My periods before the IUD were a maximum of 2 days and VERY light. With the IUD, my periods are 4 days long with Heavy bleeding on day 2 and 3, but a SUPER tampon and a pad could help you with that. Overall i am satisfied with the product but everyones body IS DIFFERENT! DO NOT let others reviews turn you away from giving this product a shot. If it doesnt work for you you could always have it removed."

Ninamona (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I got mine inserted November of 2013 and got it removed August of 2016. In terms of effectiveness, it was perfect. I checked my strings monthly and never had any pregnancy scares. The knowledge that I couldn't get pregnant was wonderful. I loved not having to worry about hormones, and I loved how easy it was on a day to day basis. The side effects were rough. I got multiple Pelvic inflammatory diseases. My cervix was constantly sore and tender during sex. The first 8 months were bad in terms of cramping and random yeast and bacterial infections. There was a year where I was fine, and after that I wound up getting it removed on the third year because I had 2 back to back boughts of PID during the summer. I wish there was a smaller option."

12321abj September 19, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I get migraines with aura so i cannot be on the pill. I got the paraguard (nonhormonal) june 2015. My body could not adjust. I would get my period at random times, very irregular, sometimes lasting 14 days. The periods were very heavy and clotty. I would fill a super tampon every hour. Back pain, breast pain, and shooting leg pain down to my foot. It took 7 months for my body to adhere to a regular cycle with no spotting; however, the pain and heaviness remained. I put up with it for 1 year and 3 months. With Preventing pregnancy- works like a charm, but side effects were too painful for me. Finally i had enough. I got it removed and just got the Nexplanon (progesterone only) inserted into my arm. Wish me luck"

ddaann91516 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I got my paragard in about three months ago and so far it's been amazing ! A little crampy the first couple days after insertion but that's it, now three months later My periods are shorter and less heavy"

Babyashalyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had my copper iud for a year before getting it removed due to constant bacterial vaginosis. I was going to the doctor every few months for an odor that never seemed to go away. I took metrodinazole that only helped me temporarily and then the BV would come back. I hated smelling myself because it was embarrassing and I got tired of going to the doctor. i never got pregnant and I thank the iud for that. but the odor and the pelvic pain that came with it made me take it out. my cramps were so bad with the iud, i would almost start crying. I also got eczema after getting the iud, which i never had prior to that. now I've had the iud out for two months and my BV has completely gone away, i still have eczema, and i get NO cramps with my period"

ellalla September 14, 2016

"I got the Paragard five weeks Postpartum without doing any research. I had just had my second child vaginally, insertion was painless, Just a slight pinch. I had a little cramping and heavier bleeding (I was still bleeding some PP). The next day I noticed that my discharge smelled a bit metallic. I Metallic discharge drove me crazy so I got the IUD removed two weeks later. Removal was quick and painless. Light pink bleeding after and little cramping. Smelly discharge was completely gone right after removal! Insertion was $0 since it was my PP visit, Removal was my office visit co-pay of $30."

Lia123 September 12, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "So I barely got the IUD today. And it was the best decision ever. I read a whole bunch of other experiences so I freaked myself out, and went on youtube and just freaked myself even more. Honestly, the process of the insertion was not painful at all. My whole body was shaking because I was so nervous but it did not hurt. After I went home I started cramping a little. I got the IUD inserted at 1pm and Its almost 8pm and the cramps are a little painful but its nothing I cant handle. I would highly recommend this to any other girl who wants to get one. I am 22 years old and I had my daughter at 18, so I do not want children for a while because i am trying to focus on college and getting my degree so this was a perfect choice for me."

margyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

"I got the Mona Lisa 10 copper IUD inserted today after being referred to the IUD clinic by my family doctor. I had a friend come with me to hold my hand as I was extremely nervous from reading horror stories on the Internet. I was about ready not to go through with it but the doctor assured me it would be fine. The doctor performed a Pap test before anything and cleaned the area with an antiseptic. She then used a tool to measure my uturus and I'm not going to lie it hurt. It felt like a deep cramp x1000 but only for a couple seconds. Then she was ready to insert the IUD. Took 5 tries to get the IUD inserted cause I was tense from my friend passing out beside me (lol). I have been experiencing extreme cramping so far and nausea"

Calgarygirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

"I had mine for about one month now. I have 4 kids so the insertion was nothing more than a pap smear. There was spotting for about two days but no cramps. I am still breastfeeding my child so I don't expect to get a period till she is one. The only downside is that it is uncomfortable during sex. There is some pain either because of the IUD or because of the childbirth and the breastfeeding making it very dry down there. My husband can only say that it feels awkward. I have a follow up appointment in a week and will be asking the doctor about it"

babyca (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I love Paragard! I had Skyla before this and Paragard has been SO much better. From the moment I got Skyla, I had nonstop cramps and bleeding. It was like I could constantly feel it even though my doctor insisted it was in the correct spot. I was scared to get Paragard b/c I thought it would be the same but it hasn't been at all! After the first few days I stopped cramping and bleeding and can no longer feel it at all. Before you get it, I would strongly recommend asking your doctor for Misoprostol to make the insertion less painful. I had it for Skyla but not Paragard and the insertion process was a lot worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the paragard for 10 years now. Insertion was not that painful for me. I had my second child a couple of months prior and the pain from the Insertion was just mild cramping. My periods were very heavy to begin with and that did not change. I had no other side effects in those 10 years. I enjoyed the freedom of not worrying about BC. Now that it's time to have it removed I'm not sure whether I will have the paragard or Mirena. I've never done well with hormones which is why I chose the paragard but the idea of lighter periods is appealing."

Elfcat (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "The OBGYN explained exactly how he was going to do it, and talked me through the whole process! I was so so nervous when I got to the office and he calmed me down and the whole process took maybe 10 minutes at the most. Pain wise: It was literally like a bad cramp for a few seconds and done. I'm taking the rest of the day to watch movies and have chocolate, my lower back is a little achey and I'm cramping, but that's it. I'd 100% recommend it."

Amanda Sublette (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I've had my Paragard in for 8 months so far. Same as everyone else, pretty crampy when getting it inserted. However love the fact that it works. The only downfall is I bleed WAY more. I bleed through super+ tampons in less than 8 hours. I'm going to a doctor to see if I need to change the device. Also, my mood swings are pretty crazy lately. I'm not sure if it's the excessive bleeding or what. I want to love the paragard, but if you have known problems with low iron or thin blood it may not be right for you!"

nonameatall August 30, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I'm 26 and a mama of 2 beautiful girls, so I decided a few months ago that I'm good on babies for a while and that I wanted to go with the non hormonal form of birth control (paragard). A few weeks ago I had it inserted, which was a little uncomfortable it pinched but it was quick and easy and over with in a matter of minutes. 4 days after it was inserted I started my period, which lasted 7 days (3 days longer then before) and it was alot heavier than before. Since then I've had a lot of clear discharge and every couple days I will spot, with mild belly aches. But honestly it's nothing to make me change my mind, I don't have to deal with daily pills or hormones. So far I'm loving it!"

AshNBen August 30, 2016

"So I got my copper IUD after much discussion with my husband who was against it. I realized I could no longer remember to take the pills with my RN schedule and did not like any other options but the non hormonal IUD. I brought my husband along for moral support, which I was thankful for. At 23 and no children, the pain was the worst I have experience, but for the short amount of time it takes to insert, it is bearable. Mostly I'm glad I'm covered for 10years because reinsertion would be awful. I did not premedicate. The after cramps weren't so much painful as uncomfortable. I like being sedentary during my period...but these cramps after insertion were only relieved by activity (my husband and I were up at 2am still walking off my cramps)."

Liz N (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2016

"Had my IUD fitted yesterday. In my honest opinion it did hurt going in but I haven't had any children or an abortion so my cervix has been locked tight lol. I was really nervous beforehand but the dr and nurse were so lovely and reassuring. I had the anaesthetic via injection in my cervix which was just a sharp scratch. The measurement of my womb was more painful that the implant insertion but like most woman have said on here, the pain is just a few seconds and eases off once everything has been removed. Please don't feel nervous girls, just expect to feel an intense cramp for 2-5 seconds, once when they measure and again on insertion. It's really not as bad as you think. It's an intense cramp but over very quickly. All good so far :-)"

Alex56789 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I just got the ParaGard inserted today about 2 hours ago. I'm 23 no kids and have only taken the pill. I read so many reviews on pain and was pretty nervous going into it. I also took 3 Tylenol an hour before. The worst part is when they measure and that was so bad and so painful I screamed and teared up a lot. It really felt like she had stuck a knife in my cervix. I also thought about not going though with the rest of it but they insisted the worst was over. When she inserted the Paragard it wasn't nearly as bad as the measuring but still that is just cramps. I was also on my period and my doctor says it's better that way so your cervix is open enough. The measuring took 20 seconds and the actual insertion was 1-2 mins. WORTH IT!"

Anonymous August 26, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had the paragard inserted yesterday. I was sick of being on hormones, this year would have been 10 years on the depo. I haven't had any children. The insertion was painful and a very strange pain for someone who has never had children. However, for me, the cramps and spasms that occurred afterwards were the worst part. I actually vomited from the pain and it took me around 2 hours to stand up without passing out or panicking. I was prescribed oxycodone for the pain and some nausea pills. Yesterday i was in a lot of pain but today I'm feeling lots better! My pain tolerance is pretty high but those cramps kicked my bum! I will update on everything in a few weeks. Make sure you have someone with you during insertion to hold your hand! :)"

BeckaG (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I just got the paragard inserted today. I am 28 and just had my first child 5 months ago. I was very nervous after reading some reviews but I hate taking birth control with hormones..so this is a great option. It hurt a little more than a pap, nothing unbearable. It only took him less than 5 minutes to insert it. They just use the speculum and swab the cervix with some stuff to clean it first and then insert it. He wanted me to be on my period to get it in..Im not positive of the reason but I'm thinking its so your cervix is more open? As of now its great, but waiting to get my next period to see if its heavier like some reviews ive read. Overall happy :)"

MB88 August 26, 2016

"I thought it would be best to wait a few months to write a review- I got the paragard 5 months ago now and as everyone says it was pretty painful getting it inserted but nothing unbearable. Took paracetamol afterwards and hot water bottle and was back to completely normal at the gym 2 days later. I have had every type of contraception under the sun and none have agreed with me- weight gain, mood swings etc. I have also had terrible cramping previous to getting the paragard, I would be in bed for 2 days so they really tried to sway me against the copper iud as it usually makes periods sorer and heavier- unbelievably it has taken my cramps almost completely away. I wish I had got this 5 years ago honestly. Really recommend!"

Ceee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I read a bunch of reviews and was terrified when I walked into the office. I really think part of the pain happens because you move/shift or expect it to be terrible and tense up. My doctor talked through my concerns and then we did it. :) It was fine. With that said, I also took 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol an hour before it was inserted. The cramping was very slight... actually less than a period cramp and it was over in under 2 minutes. I did find that I felt not great when sitting in a chair for the rest of the day. If you get it done in the morning, try to take the rest of the day off. Have some ice cream, treat yourself to a mani-pedi while you binge watch netflix. :) My Info: 0 kids, low threshold for pain, mid 20's"

Painless and Happy August 25, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had Paragard for a total of 5 weeks. Never felt so miserable in my life. I bled for the entire time I had Paragard, with 2 heavy periods and constant spotting in between. I gained weight (I was back in my skinny jeans 5 weeks after giving birth but had to wear yoga pants again while on Paragard because of serious bloating that made me look 5 months pregnant). I developed anxiety, depression, panic attacks while driving (I'm a professional driver), bloating, cramping, feeling extremely fatigued all the time, constant back and neck pain, major hair loss, anger, headaches (I never suffer from headaches because I hydrate all day). Had it removed yesterday and already feeling so much better and happier. Neck/back pain is gone..."

Wardour August 24, 2016

"I just got the Copper IUD inserted today and it was an all round positive experience, considering the contrast to some reviews and warnings from doctors about the difficulty of insertion for women before childbirth (I'm only 20). The procedure took less than 10 minutes and was sore, but mostly because it's a very unusual sort of pain and something the body is not used to dealing with. But it is in now way unbearable and the pain went away as soon as they withdrew the instruments from my vagina. It also helped that the doctor was extremely good looking (lololol I was giggling half the time). I took a book in with me and just read extracts to the doctor and nurse whilst they were fiddling around inside me. Will review again in a few weeks!"

GabStah August 24, 2016