User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "I got my ParaGard IUD 6 months ago and I love it!. Yes there is still occasionally spotting and my period is a little heavier than it used to be, but I won't have to worry about pregnancy for the next 10-12 years. If I want to become pregnant during that time it is only a matter of a doctors appointment and a little tug then BOOM pregnancy is possible. The insertion did hurt a lot. Like severe cramping for a few seconds and then a bit more cramping for the next day or so. After that I have lighter cramps for a few weeks, but it was completely worth it to not have to worry about hormones (which my body hates) or unexpected pregnancy. The only reason this review is a 9/10 is because my period is heavier and cramping is a more than before."

6 Months In January 21, 2017

ParaGard (copper): "I just got mine in today and came to talk about the insertion process. A lot of the internet says it hurts so badly, but I didn't have any issues - it barely hurt at all. Ask your doctors about Misaprostal - I have never had children but that medication made it to where my uterus didn't have to be dilated, not to mention the less pain I experienced! It felt less bad than a stomach cramp, and a LOT less bad than a muscle cramp. Don't be afraid!"

Ash1234 January 14, 2017

ParaGard (copper): "Had ParaGard inserted in May of 2016 and so far loving it!! Procedure was uncomfortable but not painful. Did have my period but didn't take anything beforehand. Didn't even know you could take something to soften your cervix! No cramping after. First two periods were intense to say the least. Very heavy bleeding but you know that will happen. My period always had 1-2 heavy days. Some spotting between periods. After the 3 month mark periods were better but the IUD did increase my period from 4 days to 7 days. But only about 3 of those days are medium to heavy. Would definitely recommend!!!"

Mom2girls96 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

ParaGard (copper): "I had paragard place last March, 2016. I had cramps in between periods the whole time. And 6 months later I started getting anxiety/panic attacks. So bad that driving was difficult. I didn't realize it was my paragard until my physician ask what is making you feel this way? Any stress? Anything different. Then it dawned on me. My IUD was the only thing that was different. I personally don't recommend getting one. So happy I got it removed today. I already feel better and more importantly like myself again."

Not for everyone! January 11, 2017

ParaGard (copper): "The insertion was incredibly painful. And while it is very effective for a very long time I wouldn't recommend it to any one because it caused me terrible pains during my cycle and occasionally off cycle of have very strong and painful cramping. I could only stand it for 1.5 years before having to get it removed."

Snhumphrey January 9, 2017

ParaGard (copper): "Needed a birth control without Hormones. Two days before the procedure I had to take cytotec twice a day until the procedure to soften my cervix. I had really bad cramping, light bleeding, and acid reflux from the cytotec. On the day of IUD insertion, I took Valium... This did nothing for my anxiety. If it weren't for my boyfriend being by my side the entire time during the procedure I wouldn't have gone through and would have begged the doctor to stop and let me leave without Paragard. I've never had such a terrifying experience. I cried the entire procedure from pain and discomfort from being exposed. Never had a pap smear so I never felt so exposed. The pain was a 9.5. I wish I found a place that used IV sedation."

LittleMissLizzie (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

ParaGard (copper): "The Paraguard is HANDS DOWN, THE BEST METHOD OF BIRTH CONTROL! I had a lot of trial and error finding the right kind of birth control for me. I've tried Plls, the Depo Shot and The Implanon. They always had some kind of bad side effect on me from weight gain to acne to migraines. I just wanted something all natural that would get the job done. I decided to give The Paraguard a try even though I didn't like the fact of something being inserted in my uterus. It's done an amazing job. Insertion and removal were quick and almost painless with some mild cramping. Periods were light and maintainable. I couldnt "feel" it either. Now I'm ready to have my first baby but it's going right back in afterwards!"

Kerstinloveparaguard January 2, 2017

ParaGard (copper): "I am a 21 year old college student and first went on a hormonal birth control (lutera) when I was 18 to help with irregular periods--and after almost a month on it I was a raging hormonal maniac. I was too traumatized for awhile to look into other options and then I thought a non hormonal IUD would be the solution to my birth control woes. My first insertion went relatively smoothly--I psyched myself out before hand but it was just uncomfortable, not painful. Unfortunately 3 months after insertion the IUD partially expelled. A month later I had a new one put in which I've had for a year now, and though I still get painful, heavy periods with some spotting between (a trade off I can handle),I really am happy with my decision to get ParaGard."

Jpira30 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 30, 2016

"I am 34, no kids. I chose this method due to it being convenient and non hormonal. I decided to read up on reviews and watch youtube videos before hand. MISTAKE. I was absolutely terrified the day of my appt. because of how painful 8/10 users said it was. My Dr prescribed me something to soften my cervix and told me to take Ibuprofen before hand. I decided because of how nervous I was to go further than that. I took 2 Xanex, and 1- 600 mg Ibuprofen about 2 hours prior to the procedure and about 30 min prior to the procedure took Tylenol w/hydrocodone. I was loopy and barely felt anything. A few hours later cramping, bleeding and a dull back ache. Today is day 5, I do hope the cramping subsides."

Nutty_Crunchy (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

"I'm 23 and haven't given birth. Got a copper coil placed beginning of November 2016 and it was one of the most horrifying experiences I've gone through in my life. It wasn't necessarily because of the operation itself but for the fact that I wasn't informed beforehand that I should've had a big meal before arriving BC the first thing they gave me was two pills of Parasetamol to ease the uncomfortness of insertion. That morning I only managed to grab a small bite before running to the clinic so I basically had them in an empty stomach. ( So ladies, make sure you have received all the vital information before getting anything placed! X) The insertion was quite ok. It was done fast. The doc gave me some intructions for the future and I was ready to go. As soon as I exit the clinic I started shivering and sweating. Back to the clinic, sat on a chair and that's when the world started spinning. For the next couple of hours I was throwing up the parasetamol in the clinic's toilet. Didn't get much assistance but luckily my boyfriend left work to pick me up. As soon as it was out of my body the cramps and the pain started and lasted for a couple of days. 5 days after I only felt pressure. Then finally I went back to normal. Phew. The pain comes back when I'm on my periods. Around 2-3 days before it starts. I've got mood swings, feel bloated and pressure in my lower belly. Then the cramps start and last time lasted for a day so I'm hopeful it's the same this time BC I'm on my periods and at this moment it's very painful. Before copper coil I never had much issues with periods. One day it would just start and be gone in 4 days now it takes around 7-8 days. Good things to say about ParaGard is that there's no hormones which I love and that I haven't got pregnant, so it works. I'll give it another 6 months or so to see if the pain will ease in time when my body gets used to it. If not, will get it removed with no doubt."

Marievii23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have had an overall great experience with this iud. I actually had one placed ten years ago and just recently had it replaced. This has been a very effective birth control. I can't have added hormones so it was either this or condoms ten years ago and I'm glad I chose this."

Lovelife16 December 27, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I'm 31 years old, my husband and I decided we are not ganna have a baby in the next 5 years and we are not fan of condoms, so I got the IUD. I chose Paragard for no hormones. The doc told me it causes some cramps but it goes away after some months.I got it in October 2016. I've been miserable since then. I suddenly changed to a weak fragile person devastated to do even regular daily tasks. The sharp pain suddenly started and went to my legs. Horrible pain. Ultrasound and x ray showed its perfectly placed! The pain made my doctor and I confused and I even took the cancer tests. The pain got worse with activities and,turning on. Completely ruined my sex life. I gave up and took it out after 3 months, everything is back to normal! Not worth it"

It makes your life miserable! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

"Like many others, I was kind of worried about getting a copper IUD because of the reviews.... But I went ahead and did it anyway. I've had it for about a month now and I know that isn't a long time but I wanted to share my opinion on it thus far. Ive never had kids so I was worried the insertion would be painful but nope! The only really uncomfortable part was when the doctor measured my cervix. After that a little pinch and it was over! I had mild cramping for a few days and then spotting for about a week and a pretty heavy flow (I'm usually very light). Now that my period is over I have maybe slight cramping once in a while but no spotting anymore. Good BC! Get a Dr who knows how to insert and I think that makes a huge difference."

Maddie32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had tried various birth control w HORRIBLE side effects so I decided to give this a try bc there are NO hormones. Insertion was uncomfortable, not painful. I spotted the first few weeks, as expected. Now I'm back to normal. I've never had kids and don't want them so this was my last resort birth control. I only wish I had known of this option years ago!!!!"

Jen R. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I received the paragard on Nov 22,16. The insertion wasn't painful at all. Just a very uncomfortable feeling. When the insertion was finished, the nurse provided a pad to put in my underwear, and stated that I will spot for about 2-3 days. But before getting the IUD put in, I had taken 4 200MG of ibuprofen 1 hour before. 3 days after the insertion, I started my period. The cramps were TERRIBLE. The cramps lasted for about 1 1/2 weeks. I had to continue taking the ibuprofen for that long. The bleeding is not that bad. Its the same amount as it was before. I've had a heavy flow before the IUD and its still the same. I use the overnight protection pads. Overall I'll give it a 7."

Stacei (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

"I looooove paraguard I've had it for 8 months my only child is 4 years old his dad is a absent parent so I said I won't be having another until I'm in a secure marriage with someone worth spending the rest of my life with before i bring anymore children into the world . My boyfriend and I don't ever have any worries or pregnancy scares because paraguard does it's job very well. My mom recommended it because she's used it for years for her and my dad ...my cramps are a little more hurtful but before paraguard they hurted bad enough to take pain pills anyways. It's a win win situation for me and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND"

Janay320 December 20, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I was on the pill for 5+ yrs with no issues until Jan 2016 when I was diagnosed with blood clots in both lungs. Bye bye estrogen birth control. My Dr at the time told me that Paragard was my *only* option. It was inserted in May 2016 - probably the most painful experience of my life. Severe cramping during/following the insertion but the next morning I woke up feeling great, no pain. But that was the end of the good times with Paragard. I began bleeding all day everyday for the next 6 months. It was like the heaviest day of my period every day + cramps, headaches, stomach pains, etc. Ruined most of my panties & barely had sex because it was so bad. Finally went to PP in Nov 16 and they removed it. I have Liletta now & love it so far."

jpier13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

"I had the copper IUD inserted a few days ago! It was painfully like labor!! I'll do an update in a month!! My only concerns are the copper allergy!! I had some cramping after!!"

Anna Louise (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had my Paraguard for 9 1/2 years. I only have 1 child who is 14 now. I had her when I was young so I knew I didn't want to have any more kids for awhile. Neither less to say, I have been with my husband now for 10 years and we both love it! Other than a heavy period for the first 4 months it was smooth sailing for me since then. Yes, I still have pms symptoms every month but it's no different than if I had no birth control. Now it's time for me to part ways with my Paraguard because it will expire soon and I am seriously wanting to have a new one replaced. I am in my 30s now and not sure if I want to have any more kids. But my husband doesn't have any so we shall see."

Tdee (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 17, 2016

"Quick background, I started on the pill, then went to the ring, and finally stopped BC all together, and then wanted something non-hormonal. The insertion itself wasn't too painful, but afterwards for a good 12 hours I experienced what felt like severe cramps and I unfortunately had to go through it twice. The 1st time the IUD slipped out. After a year of being on it, the negatives: before my period only lasted about 3 days, but now it lasts 5-7 days and it's crazy heavy, my boyfriend can feel the string sometimes during intercourse, I had BV 3 times, and down there went from smelling like water to smelling like a penny :-( . The positive: I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. Thinking of having it removed, though :-/"

EMBmore (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Heavy heavy periods were brought on with this iud. It did the job as far as keeping me from getting pregnant, but wow the periods have been heavy (go through a super tampon in less than an hour!). Finally getting mine out today. Actually got on birth control pills to make the periods lighter while having the iud and I have never had very heavy periods prior to this."

Teacher81 December 14, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I decided to try the Paragard after having my son bc i was tired of the hormones in my bc pills. i got it put in at about 10-11 weeks post partum. Insertion was rough. it definitely hurt and was very uncomfortable, but luckily the effects did not last long after. I have had it for over 2 years now and have absolutely no complaints. periods have been normal and run like clockwork. no other side effects have occurred either. its like its not even there!"

Elle See December 7, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "So this is day 2 after getting Paragard and am still in pain. The insertion was unbelievably bad! No kids and already heavy cycle to start. I have many tattoos so I can take the pain but I am glad that its over with. The cramps are painful and come and go! I am hopeful and will stick this out bc I can't have any hormonal bc any more due to migraines with aura and possibility of stroke with use. I can't wait for this pain to go away!"

ncosta (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have a 2 1/2 year old and got the paragard placed after 6-8 pp. I went to the ER presenting with appendicitis and come to find out i am 8w5d pregnant! Needless to say I am very angry about this because I had to go through two very painful procedures to retrieve my Iud with no success...as well as a tore cervix ..so I am now looking at a major surgery to remove it! The pregnancy is above my iud so it is very very painful.....I am absolutely miserable.....DO NOT GET THIS PLACED IT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!"

Fire chick December 6, 2016

"I had my copper IUD placed while I was on my period. Your uterus is dilated during your period making insertion easier. The insertion felt like the onset of birthing contractions and it lasted about 30 seconds to 1 minute. I have read a lot of reviews where girls bleed for weeks after insertion. My doctor said that usually only happens if you are coming off of certain types of birth control, but the IUD should not be the cause of it. He was right. Prior to insertion I was not on birth control for a very long time. I had a heavier period after insertion and I cramped a bit that day. My period lasted for my usual amount of time. I had relations about a week after with no complication with above if not average size and he did not feel it."

Sofie01130104 December 6, 2016