User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 258 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "I've had my Paragard for a little over two months. I have three children, all vaginally delivered so insertion was not painful. So far, no pregnancy so it's doing the job. However, I have noticed feeling very fatigued since about a week after I got it, as well as periods that have gone from 5 days before Paragard to 11 to 12 days after. The side effects are not unbearable but they are certainty noticeable and impact my lifestyle."

Jessh85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"IUDs work different in every women I think. I have 2 sisters one has had IUD cooper for almost 7 years and she loves it she does not have any side effects only heavier period . My other sister has it for almost 2 years and loves it as well. Unfortunately , for me it was different . I had it inserted in November 2016 after having my second child. I did not want to get pregnant again so I went to get IUD . I did not even let the doctor tell me anything about the possible side effects that it may have . I just told her to put it in. The insertion was really painful. I even fainted after getting it in. After a month I started to feel weird , started to have panic and anxiety attacks and a really bad headache that will last for weeks. Also heavy periods"

Devi0725 June 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I have had Paragard for a year and a half. When it was inserted, I did have pain but that was mainly just strong cramping. I don't remember really bleeding afterwards. For those that say they have the worst pain in their life during insertion is probably because of the way their cervix sits. My DR explain that to me. Because a week before my period is supposed to start I get these horrible stabbing pains that are sometimes unbearable. They aren't constant and have actually lessened over time. My periods have actually gotten lighter only lasting like 4 days.. until now. My last period was like two weeks ago and then all of the sudden this week I started bleeding. I haven't read any reviews on this. So we will see what happens."

Megsahallsa June 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the IUD inserted 5 days ago and so far cannot comment on its effectiveness but I have to say that the insertion was the most painful thing I've experiened and I have loads of tattoos and piercings and a high pain tolerance. It felt like someone was ripping my insides. It was a severe cramp straight away and the rest of the day I lay on the sofa in tears. Never had children but I'm assuming the pain I felt was like contractions of early labour. The cramps come and go but I started my period the very next day after it being inserted so I cannot comment on how long the bleeding has lasted or anything. Period doesn't seem any heavier but the cramps are much worse. Sex hurts any other way than missionary. So far anyway."

Tarrie June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "No no no. A piece of copper implanted into your body? I had it in for 1 month. In that time, I felt like I was always about to have a period, I never had cramps before. I experienced anxiety, racing thoughts, repetitive thoughts, empty feelings, extreme anger and resentment, extremely itchy labia and skin, tremoring vision, nausea, headaches, terrible back pain, sharp joint pains, ear aches, sadness, and the worst TOTAL LOSS OF SEX DRIVE. Also vaginal dryness. I basically couldn't feel myself on the inside. The stress of unplanned pregnancy is easier to deal with than this. Anything that causes this as it "settles in" is just messed up. Just because the side effects may go away doesn't make it OK. It's your body numbing out to this hideous device."

Nickaletta (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "This gave me depression. The copper toxicity did not allow for me to lose weight, I had ongoing infections that immediately went away after removed. I had low sex drive and acne a month after having it inserted. My discharge smells more than usual"

erikaeod June 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Getting it put in was not painful! Just uncomfortable... After the insertion the cramps were painful, but everyone is different.. Don't go by reviews, whether to get it or not. Most people only write reviews when they are hating something. It is not as bad as everyone makes it seem. It is worth a try"

Sydd June 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I got my IUD placed in Nov . 2008. Yes the pain was really bad with sharp sharp cramps at first I went to the ER twice and called my doctor they told me to take motrin around the clock for the next five days and now almost 9 years later it's fine. I have not had a pregnancy scare and it's still placed . I like it. Despite the beginning phase. It's works for me . I have a 11 year old and when me and the Mr are ready to have another baby lol which I hope is soon that's when I will take it out."

Ms. Cristal June 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my IUD in August of 2015. I love it. It was an adjustment at first, I cramped for the first few days and had back pain. I also was constipated for a week but went back to normal. The process wasn't too bad it felt like intense pain for about a minute and then the pain stopped. I waited 2 weeks to have sex just to be on the safe side. My periods are heavier and cramps are slightly worse but nothing I can't handle. I hate hormones I don't need any other added hormones in my body, so the paragard IUD is my favourite."

Quinn1990 June 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Got the Paragard inserted mid-Feb, after a pregnancy scare on the NuvaRing. Been non-stop heavy bleeding & cramping for 4 months straight. It's completely unbearable and I've missed work & every day tasks because the pain is so severe. I read the reviews, but decided to still go with an IUD after several friends said they had no issues. Figured people were being dramatic with reviews of pain upon insertion- assumed they were the same people who think paps-meres are painful- thought I could handle it... I felt like the wind was knocked out of me and I almost passed out. My period was light to moderate before, and now it's uncontrollably heavy. Can't wear tampons anymore, & "10 hour leak protection" pads only last me about an hr."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I've had paragard since November 2016. It is now June 2017. At first the pain was unbearable. I'm a very pain tolerant person who has numerous piercings and tattoos. When the doctors told me my period cramps would get worse I thought nothing of it. After getting it I realized what they meant. My pain was awful for the first 6 months. I could only lay down and would cry for hours. I also had to find a pain pill so I could function at my warehouse job. Finally after the sixth month my pain went from feeling like child birth to non existent. I still have a nice heavy flow but almost no pain. I know there are a ton of bad reviews but in the end you just have to try it out yourself. I am so happy!"

SamanthaG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Paraguard was inserted July 2016 and removed June 2017 (almost a year!). The first week after it was installed I had debilitating cramps for three days straight and constant bleeding. Every month my periods were twice as heavy, twice as long and 10 x more painful! I was told this would calm down after 6 months....so I persevered. If anything, my periods got MORE painful to the point where I couldn't leave the house incase I'd be hit by a wave of contractions. On a side note, I felt anxious, depressed, introverted, alone, (I'm usually so social and confident!), worthless and I experienced social anxiety for the first time! I also gained 20lbs which is definitely not to do with change in diet/exercise. If anything, I was eating better!"

chlmar05 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Everyone has a different experience with birth control methods, and mine was terrible. I got Paragard inserted in June 27, 2013 and had it removed June 12, 2017. The insertion pain was terrible, I took way too much of Motrin to help with the pain and it did nothing. My periods became heavy bleeding and passing clots. The bleeding was nothing compared to the pain. I cramped for a full week before my period would arrive. They woke me up in the middle of the night, I would writhe in pain. All four years my periods were regular, until my most recent period was 6.5 weeks long. All testing was inconclusive. I gained 50lb with no change in diet, and it's hormone free. Not sure why. I began getting yeast infections."

RachBenn June 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Got my paraguard on my period, I'm 22 and never have had a child. My doctor numbed my uterus beforehand, the insertion was a few deep strong cramps and feeling like being prodded, but nothing too crazy. The first few hours I was having some sharp cramps, after the numbing wore off I almost went to the ER, it felt like I was having contractions and giving birth. Advil didn't help at all. My doc called in Tylenol #3 and it helped a lot mixed with Advil and the pain subsided after a few days like she said it would. 3 months in and I've already dropped 15 pounds from not being on hormones anymore! The cramps are non-existent now when I don't have my period. My periods were light-moderate and now they're heavy. My bf can't feel the strings! 8/10"

Anonymousbuyer June 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I've had the paraguard for 10 yrs and it is the best birth control decision made. I've only encountered a couple heavy periods a year but not bad at all. I wouldn't switch it for any other birth control."

A Cervantes June 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had paraguard put in - super painful but that's a given. After 3 months I went in to have the strings checked like I was advised, no problem there. 3 months after that (so 6 months after insertion) I went in for my annual gyno check up, during the routine preventative ultrasound I found out I was 1 week pregnant. I asked if I had done anything wrong, how could it have failed?! And she just shrugged and said it was 99.4% effective and I just won the lottery. She removed the IUD and advised me on the complications and asked me to rest, think and come back in one week. I did not stop bleeding the entire week. I ended up (spontaneously) aborting - which caused me serious psychological trauma and created barriers in my catholic family and community."

Shitshow June 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the paragard for about 15 months and have gained 30 pounds despite working out and eating well. My periods are so heavy I now take an iron supplement and my hair falls out in handfuls every time I shower. Having it removed asap. The only good thing it has done is prevent pregnancy"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "Good, BUT it's like the first car. It needs a re-design that is more flexible. Pros: It's nice to not worry about pregnancy or condoms with my SO. In a way it allows for more intimate sex without the conversation of BC. I have had the paraguard for 4 years after trying other hormonal BC. Cons: I traded mood swings for pain. Right from the start it is trouble when the nurse tells you to take an asprin before the insertion, but she should have prescribed a real pain killer for the procedure. There have been a few times when I almost had it taken out. I never had cramps before this. Every month I take a minimum of 600 mg of ibuprofen. There are cramps after ovulation in the middle of my cycle as well as more intensely before and during period"

Colorado 26 June 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had the paragard inserted 2 months ago and am on my 2nd period with it. I'm 33 with 2 daughters and cannot tolerate hormones, they make me angry and make sex painful. So far I love the paragard. I was nervous after reading all the reviews about the insertion and I even voiced my concerns to one of the nurses at planned parenthood. She told me she had the mirena inserted during her lunch break and was able to work fine. She had no kids and said it wasn't bad, she also told me how many women she witnessed being dramatic during insertion, and that as long as I took the alieve, it wouldn't hurt too much. Insertion went smoothly and painlessly. Now my periods are a little heavier but not longer, no other side effects."

Screamqueen (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I am getting this devil removed next week. I've had it in for a year and a half , had it inserted after our 5th baby, and no joke, it's like I've given birth every month with these heavy periods. My periods last 15 days, non stop bleeding especially the end of the period I go through a whole packet of the super overnight pads, it gets soaked through and many times I've had to leave wherever I am to rush home to have a shower because I'm bleeding like a tap. Consequently I am now anaemic and have to have an iron infusion next week. I'm so so exhausted to look after my five children, I'm a wreck by the evening , and I barely get a break in between my periods now , only 12 days then it starts all over again. Time to remove it asap!"

Ihateparaguard (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "38, 2 children, the oldest is 9. I had Paragard inserted about 6 weeks ago. In order to perform the procedure, the doctor required that I be on my period. The day of the procedure I did not take any medicine for pain, nor did I have any other prep. The insertion took between 7 - 10 minutes. The doctor had to dilate my cervix slightly with a tool, which led to some minor bleeding. The actual insertion was uncomfortable with lots of pressure, but I would not describe it as painful. I did bleed lightly for about 4 days after the insertion, hardly any cramping. Had very light spotting for 2 weeks. My period came on time, normal bleeding, but it lasted 7 days vs the usual 5 or 6. It has not been noticeable during sex."

Jenn J June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello All! Earlier today, I got the copper IUD inserted at Planned Parenthood. Reading the reviews on this website made me very skeptical about getting it inserted to the point that I canceled 3 different appointments. I feel like I am average when it comes to how much pain I can tolerate. During the procedure, it starts off as a pap smear then other instruments are applied. Everything was fine for me as far as pain. Then in a blink of an eye, I felt the sharpest period-type pain in my abdomen. I'm not going to beat around the bush about it because I would want to know straight forward what I would be feeling and how my experience would be. The whole procedure lasted 3-5 minutes and 1 minute is when that pain was the worst. BUT WORTH IT!"

LysB June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I got the IUD inserted just three days ago. Ouch!! I was not expecting the pain I experienced. I have cramps and bleeding but I really hope it's worth it. Reading about the possible effects scares me a bit. Praying for positive outcomes!!"

Megabuck June 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I've had 2 Paraguard put in, the first was in for 10 yrs and the second one was in for 3 yrs. I've been experiencing hair loss, mood swings, memory loss, urinary tract infections. I was hospitalized for a Cyst on my Fallopian tube that was about to burst. Constant Migraines to where I can't function the whole day. Severe scalp pain, that causes blurry vision. I've told the doctors and nobody will believe me or even listen. Helpless"

Savi37 June 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper): "I had paragard for 8 years, I was loving it the fact there is No hormones. I did not have any side effects of weight gain, ache, or anything. However about 7th year my cramps on my left side lower body were getting bad week prior to the menstrual cycle, pain level an 8. But more recently my pain was so significant that I was taking 600mg at the bare min. twice a day. My muscles in my buttocks was knotted up down to my frontal thigh. Extreme pain. Missed days of work. I recently had it removed already I feel SO MUCH better. Love&Hate Paragard."

Nowara (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 6, 2017