User Reviews for Copper topical to treat Birth Control

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper topical has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 1494 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 51% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Copper topical Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper topical

Emmy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “PLEASE READ THIS!!!! I decided to get the Paragaurd IUD as a 19 year old, never having a child. I rejected this copper IUD after having it for only 3 months. The insertion was bearable and I was having heavy cramps 3 days after. I was back to normal but then when I’d have intercourse I’d bleed every time. It made sex painful and I’d get extremely bloated. I was bloated all the time. So I went to my doc and he said that the IUD was literally poking out of my cervix. I had it removed right then and there. ONE IN EIGHT WOMEN REJECT THIS IUD. 1 in 8!!!!! Please choose wisely. After doing some research I’m going to get the Kyleena IUD in a month or so”

Suzi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “I had the copper IUD inserted as I had been on the pill for 5 years and decided to try something hormonal free, I got put under local anaesthetic so can’t comment on insertion pain but omg the cramps were so terrible and heavy periods I had never experienced, I decided to push through as they say it gets better. The IUD turned me from a healthy happy woman to depressed anxiety nearly bipolar-like with symptoms like I’ve never had and panic attacks I’ve never experienced so terrible! My sex drive was non existent I was at a loss as I would have never thought my “hormonal free” IUD would be causing these issues until I come on this page!!!! My doctor told me I was suffering from chemically imbalanced depressing /anxiety?? I had my IUD removed the next morning after seeings so many woman going through the same thing, my depression has now gone and haven’t had a panic attack since (removed 2 days ago) I can not stress this enough don’t get the IUD.”

Goddaughter 4 to 1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “My wife got pregnant 11 months after getting paraguard and the day it's 99 to 100% effective. It didn't move, didn't break - it just failed I think they have lied about effectiveness.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “I understand everyone’s body is different, but after reading reviews on drugs.com for multiple things, I’m convinced people only really write reviews after a really bad experience. As my gyno told me, people don’t write reviews when they are content. So I’m going to write a review to say the copper iud is 1000% the way to go if you are looking for non-hormonal birthcontrol. I spent years on the pill that gave awful side effects, I have had zero side effects from the IUD. Yes my first period was heavy, I’ve had moderate to heavy periods for most of my life accompanied with cramps, it’s nothing that is not manageable. If you are looking for peace of mind for ten years without risking the horrible side effects of hormonal bc.. get this.”

Lo June 17, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I’ve been on Paragard for 10 months now... where do I even begin... (I’ve always had horrible cramping on my periods but this is different cramping). I read a lot about this and have yet to hear anything about the cramping that have. It’s not this severe all the time but it literally takes my breath away. Its normally just the first 2-3 days but it’s like a stabbing pain in my uterus... and here’s the real weird part it’s not just my uterus. The stabbing, breath-taking pain shoots up my butthole... Yes, you heard me... it makes me feel like I’m constipated with severe, shooting gas pains that might explode. So I had an ultrasound/internal exam and they said everything was fine. I’m still on this... because there really aren’t many birth controls left that I haven’t already heard horror stories (even though this is one) to or have tried. But hey, I’m not pregnant so I guess it’s effective. Let me know if you get these pains...”

Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2019

ParaGard (copper): “My 19-year-old daughter, with no history of self harming/suicidal behavior, began experiencing progressively worse neuropsychiatric symptoms after her Paragard insertion due to copper accumulating in her neural tissue and her body's inability to eliminate the excess. We never thought the "natural" copper Paragard could be the catalyst for the onset of her debilitating anxiety and despair but six months post insertion she took her life. We ordered hair and tissue analysis tests after her death and received results showing toxic levels of copper. Paragard does not warn patients of this possible adverse event.”

KCoop · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 3, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I got my paraguard out after 9 years of having it in. I was experiencing copper toxicity and wonky hormonal shifts. Symptoms: ovarian cysts (very expensive appointment to confirm through sonogram), cystic acne, liver started to struggle (vitamin blood test proof), easily got sick, body pains, dizziness, panic attack, trouble sleeping, DAILY diarrhea (not even docs or my mom could figure this out). After dramatically changing my diet to cater to reducing cysts and cystic acne, no dice. I was still in incurable pain at random (ibuprofen, magnesium, cbd, hot pad all did not work). It wasn't until I shared my story online that I found the cause was my IUD! Total spent over this issue is likely anywhere between $2K-5K total. I just want awareness spread more than anything.”

Dee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “Don’t let these reviews scare you, try for yourself & see how you feel!! Insertion was very painful for me, but I am always in pain with any cervix procedure or check (even during labor). So I knew that was a possibility for me personally. Afterwards, I had cramping the entire day. A week later I got a very heavy period with heavy cramping the first day, it lasted about 14 days. I have had the Paragard for 6 months now, my periods are back to normal after the first 4 months and I never feel it inside. I had light periods before insertion & they are still light after. I’m very happy with mine, try for yourself before letting these reviews scare you. Most people only review if something goes wrong. There are tons of women who are happy with theirs who do not think to come online & review it.”

Alli January 30, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I got the IUD after having bad reactions to hormonal birth control. On paper, ParaGard sounded great: no hormones, no long term side effects.... no problems. Immediately after insertion I began having horrible lower back pain accompanied by excruciating menstrual cramps that left me curled up in a ball on the floor. My periods lasted for 2 weeks with spotting for a week after. Then came the insomnia, anxiety and crippling depression. I totally lost interest in everything I used to like and found myself having suicidal thoughts which was an absolute first for me. My doctor said there was no connection between the IUD and my symptoms so I kept with it long enough to experience daily migraines, extreme joint pain, painful bloating, hair loss, constant exhaustion and insane brain fog. After an entire year of misery I finally got it removed. I am pretty upset with the lack of information available about this product. I would NEVER RECOMMEND this device to anyone.”

None ya · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I was petrified to get this ParaGard put in. I had passed it up the first time and then decided I was over hormonal birth control. My sister had a good experience so I finally made the appointment. I read people have taken ibuprophen before hand so I did. I felt nothing but a poke. And when she said she was done, I said that’s it. It took 5 minutes. No cramping during or after. Guess I got lucky. On a pain scale 1-10 it was a 0. I spotted for 3-4 days then it completely stopped. I got my period on my normal expected 28th day. No more bleeding or cramping that the norm without this. 10/10 recommend you try it. Reviews are to be taken lightly as everyone’s body is different.”

Gab February 5, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “I was on Mirena and I needed to get off of hormonal birth control. I was scared of cramping and bleeding too much on Paragard, so I was skeptical. But I really love Paragard. I feel like I can have carefree sex with my partner. I haven’t experienced any cramping whatsoever (but I never have cramps). And my period is only a day or two longer than usual, but not unmanageable or worrisome. We have different experiences with different types of birth control, and it’s not for everyone, but trying Paragard was worth the risk for me. I feel a lot more like myself, my anxiety is gone, I’ve lost a lot of weight, and I feel great. I would definitely give it a try, and I want to stay on Paragard until I have kids.”

Stevie July 7, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “ParaGard was the worst thing I’ve ever done to myself and I deeply regret it every day. Copper toxicity Is real and not talked about by OBs or mentioned in the packaging. I got my IUD at 17 years old and have had it for 2 years. I started having copper toxicity signs like fatigue, IBS, insomnia, depression, severe anxiety, and panic attacks. Doctors just want your money stay away from this if you want to be happy. It creates a hostile environment in your uterus to prevent pregnancy and affects your vaginal micro biome causing me regular yeast infections and BV. It’s been 7 months and I haven’t been able to have pain free sex. Please consider other options, copper isn’t a hormone but it influences your hormones there is no way of preventing pregnancy without hormone manipulation unless you use only condoms. Listen to your bodies! ParaGard ruined my life, and I wish I learned sooner.”

atimo · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “I picked the copper IUD because I know way too much about the negative side effects of hormonal birth control. Insertion was painful and the first 6 months my cramps sucked and periods were super heavy. Things finally started to regulate and I was happy, until this month when my period was 2 days late. I took a pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE. I have only had my IUD for 1.5 years and I have had it checked multiple times. When I had it removed it was intact and in its correct position. I am so sad and so frustrated. Never thought this would happen to me but I guess I’m part of that “1%”.”

Allison · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 21, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I expected to get worse cramping and periods the first 6 months or so after insertion of ParaGard, which is fine. After about 2 years of having it in, I started getting hormonal issues (low thyroid, loss of period for up to 6 months at a time, recurring BV, horrible bloating and water retention and fatigue either the week before or during my period-sometimes this lasted 2.5 weeks). I do think the BV is related to the IUD, but I’m not sure about the other symptoms. Can anyone else relate?!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 10, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “I've had paragard for 2 years now and ever since I've had it my mental health declined rapidly and I all of the sudden I had depression and panic attacks! I also haven't been able to sleep right or really feel like myself. I'm getting it removed tomorrow. After doing tons of research, I've found that I am not the only one who has experienced these type of issues and wanted to put this out there! I've recently been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and I've has anxiety all my life but since I've had this IUD it intensified tremendously to where its uncontrollable and I have to take medicine daily just to be "normal " I find it extremely strange. I'd think twice before using this.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I came on here to read reviews before getting my Paragard. For some background, I have no children and have been diagnosed with PCOS. Some of the things people said had me scared and ready to cancel my appointment. I am so glad I went through with it! The insertion felt like a quick menstrual cramp. I couldn't believe how easy it was. As far as the side effects go, I've had none aside from one day (day 2) of a slightly heavier period and there was slight cramping for a few hours after insertion. I've had it for over a year now and have had no issues whatsoever. Remember, people rarely share their good experiences. You won't know how it effects you until you try it out for yourself.”

LilRed · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “I had the paragard inserted 3 years ago. The pain was minimal, and I experienced minor cramping. My periods became much heavier, between 7-12 days. Earlier this year I began experiencing my first signs of copper toxicity. Severe panic attacks, painful muscles and joints, and fatigue. Then the second copper dump came about 2 weeks ago. My chest/back is inflamed and painful, my joints pop everywhere, limbs tingle with pins and needles, extreme fatigue and anxiety. I had enough yesterday morning and removed it myself. Don't listen to the studies that tell you it doesn't cause copper toxicity, copper is stored in the tissues not the blood or urine, and those trials did not test for it correctly. Proceed with caution. The only positive side to this is that I never fell pregnant so in that regard it worked but the side effects were too horrible to keep it.”

Crina February 4, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “I got pregnant after almost 4 years of use of ParaGard. Waiting to get the results of my ultrasound to see if its a regular pregnancy or an ectopic one. Do your research, the percentage of women getting pregnant while using it correctly is higher than they want you believe it is.”

Jane Doe September 10, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I've had ParaGard for 3 years. I love it. Absolutely no changes or side effects. That's why I love it because its non hormonal and doesn't affect you mentally or screw up your bodily functions. It's just copper. Insertion was quick and easy. Only difference is my period comes more often now and is heavier than usual. But I don't mind because it's worth it for having the best hormone free, most effective birth control that lasts for 10 years.”

RC February 5, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I got a Paragard IUD 8 weeks after giving birth to my 3rd child. 2 weeks after insertion I started having really bad pain in my lower left abdomen. My OB checked and couldn't find the strings. A sonogram was ordered and showed the IUD had moved and was stuck in the uterine muscle. I was referred to a surgeon to have the IUD removed but by then my pain had gone away. I had another sonogram and this time only a few weeks later, the IUD had fully perforated the uterus and was now near my ovaries. I had to have laparoscopic surgery to have it out. I did my research and I know for a fact the manufacturer isn't being upfront about warnings on the label. Three quarters of woman who have the IUD perforate the uterus are woman who have had a baby in the past 36 weeks and or are nursing. The reason being simple. #1 your muscles are soft from just carrying a child, #2 your uterus is still contracting and moving when you nurse. Please be aware of this information, it can save you a lot of pain.”

Janice · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “Pain and bleeding, black bleeding, every time something touches my cervix. Can't wait to get it removed. Doctors and nurses do not warn you about the likelihood of copper toxicity. Two weeks in I am already experiencing insomnia, racing thoughts, irritability, and out of control emotions. I am unable to join usual social activities or connect with my family due to the pain and bleeding. The insertion process was not "a pinch". It is traumatic and VERY painful. I am anxious about the removal process.”

C · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “Wow all the reviews here are so weird. I’m a healthy 27 year old who got this IUD a few years back and have had ZERO problems since. My body had to adjust first couple of months but after that it’s smooth sailing. Periods are fairly light after a couple months into it, no cramps or discomfort, nothing. To the people who it didn’t work for, I can only assume they had a terrible doctor insert it in, a faulty IUD, or it just didn't suit you in general. This is literally the best birth control I’ve been on and I don’t plan on ever switching from it.”

Leash April 4, 2021

ParaGard (copper): “Prior to using Paragard, my sex drive was was high and my husband and I had a very active and fun sex life. I got mine put in 2 months after my first baby was born and everything went down hill fast after that. I experienced depression, anxiety, hopelessness, cystic acne, severe pms (I'd barely had any pms prior), crazy mood swings, forgetfulness and brain fog, no sex drive what.so.ever. and just a complete lack of interest in my spouse, pain during sex (not severe but uncomfortable and lingering, and overall I just felt like a wreck and not myself at all. It took a long time to figure out that my issues were coming from the iud and copper toxicity. After 4 1/2 years of suffering, I finally had it removed 4 days ago. Tonight, for the first time in years, I actually enjoyed sex and desired my husband!! The sex was free from pain and discomfort too. While this IUD is great at preventing pregnancy, it's not worth losing yourself over. I'm so glad to be free!”

T · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I just had the paragard inserted a few days ago. I had terrible experiences with hormonal birth control (the pill and implant). The insertion did hurt a lot and I cramped/spotted after. I went home, wrapped myself in a heated blanket, and woke up feeling much better the next day. So far so good, just wanted to share my experience in case anyone was scared of the insertion process.”

Anonymous March 2, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “The side effect symptoms started 3 months after insertion of Paragard, roughly when I started to wean from breast feeding and my cycle returned. I got insane IBS symptoms out of nowhere, nausea insomnia, and panic attacks. The symptoms lasted about 4 weeks before I made the correlation and decided to get the IUD removed. 3 weeks after getting it removed I felt back to normal. I went back to my doctor to discuss other birth control alternatives and she convinced me that the paragard did not cause my symptoms and convinced me to get it back in. I started to think that maybe my side effect symptoms had been from weaning from breast feeding anyway. I agreed to have it replaced. 3ish weeks later all of those same symptoms came back, in addition to a 10 day period, a metallic taste in my mouth and acne. I got the IUD out yesterday and am waiting for the side effects to go away. Never again will I put anything made of copper in me.”

Mama · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

ParaGard (copper): “Please do your research on copper toxicity before getting this inserted! It sounds promising with a quick insertion and 10 years of protection but the side effects can be debilitating. I was only on it for 4 months and it was miserable. Some of my side effects included NO SEX DRIVE, spotting, crippling anxiety/depression, brain fog, cystic acne (I’ve never struggled with before), aching/sore joints all over my body, twitches, complete personality change. It made me into an irritable, angry monster: I didn’t even recognize myself. When I finally realized what was happening I got it out. I felt instant relief. I wish I had done more research before I risked my close relationships, health, and well-being for this. There needs to be more research done on the safety of this product.”

Anonymous September 28, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I kept having extreme pelvic pain and I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on. I have been going to the doctor’s now for 2 1/2 years trying to figure out the source of pain - gynecologist, urologist, urogynechologist, you name it. Nightmare! I finally had ParaGard removed 3 days ago and I already feel better. I could tell my body was not happy with the thing and kept trying to have it removed. You know what happens when your body is not happy and wants something removed? Your body turns against itself when it’s trying to remove a foreign object. Like - cancer. When your body starts rejecting what’s in it, you start to feel so much pain physically/mentally and you don’t know where it’s coming from. I wasted the last 3 years not understanding what was happening to my body..... but now I do.”

Satisfied February 23, 2020

ParaGard (copper): “I am extremely happy with my Paragard! The stress leading up was worse than any part of the procedure itself; it's like a very strong cramp, but it's over in a second. I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen before and got it inserted on the last day of my period. Over the next few days the cramps and bleeding got worse, but subsided after a week or so. Had a period 3 weeks after insertion. The flow was heavier and lasted longer for the first few periods, but it's back to about what it was before. Cramps are nothing Ibuprofen can't help with. I have health anxiety, so I was super nervous about the Paragard. I'd tried hormonal bc and nothing worked. Now, I forget about it 99% of the time. Been to the gyno a million times because I was convinced it was puncturing my uterus, and it hasn't budged once. I exercise intensely with no issues, and same for sex. As far as copper poisoning I've had ZERO of the symptoms the other reviews talk about.”

More about copper topical