User Reviews for Copper

Birth Control 593 reviews 296 medications

7.7
Summary of Copper reviews 593 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Copper

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "If you are reading reviews... stop. Paraguard reacts differently to everyone that gets it, I almost scared myself out of getting it after days of reading the reviews but you will never know if you do not go through with it. I'm not lie it was painful day one and two, but it really is not bad! My periods are the same as they used to be (last about 4 days with moderate flow) just a bit crampier a week before and when I ovulate. The pain is nothing a few Advil can't solve. A few side effects that I experienced - I was bloated for the first couple weeks - Spot bleeding here and there - Cramps are sharper Honestly that's it...for me this was the BEST option on the market!"

Georgie123456 March 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I am 21 years old and never been pregnant. I've had my paragard for about 4 months now. I did an IMMENSE about of research on IUDs. Therefore, I felt I was completely prepared for the insertion as well as the effects thereafter. I was probably more anxious for the insertion process than I needed to be. It DID NOT hurt as much as the horror stories stated online. It hurt for about 10 seconds as my doctor was measuring, then about 2 seconds for the insertion. After that, there was a mild cramp for the rest of the day and some spotting. Tada, 99%+ efficacy. I'd say the worst part would be the longer/heavier periods and random spotting. But I'd honestly rather have that than a child I'm not ready for. Do your research and know your options! :)"

rayofsun (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Paragard was totally the right decision of IUD for me! I did not want to deal with the side effects of the hormones in the Mirena (or the other brands). I had a lot of friends get those removed because the hormones messed with them. Insertion was not nearly as bad as I anticipated. Definitely uncomfortable and worse than a pap smear, but nothing I couldn't handle. I took plenty of ibuprofen that day and watched a season of Game of Thrones. Not a bad day. My first two periods afterward were heavier, crampy, and less predictable, but after that they got back on schedule, and the cramps are no worse now than before the IUD. In fact, they may be more mild for me now. My boyfriend can sometimes feel the string, but who cares, he can deal!"

AnneofAvonlea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "I had my first paragard IUD inserted yesterday. I have never had children, and insertion was painful but not unbearable. I had mine inserted while I was on my period, and I forgot to take any ibuprofen beforehand. There were three steps (opening the cervix, measuring, inserting the IUD) that all felt like quick, hot, fire pokers hitting my insides. It was a sharp, intense pain that lasted seconds. Driving home I had bad cramps. These lasted well into the night. I woke up this morning and the sharp pains were gone! I'm still a little sore, but I think my body is adjusting well. I do not have any abnormal, heavy, bleeding. I'm happy with my decision and I'd say it's worth 10 years of birth control."

Sea125 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "I got my paragard Monday March 20, 2017. Insertion hurt but it wasn't life alteringly horrible. Mild cramping that day, but I went home and could still live life just fine (I did laundry and made dinner). The next day I went to work and just took one ibuprofen to alleviate my super mild cramps. By Wednesday I was sprinting on the treadmill, spotting completely gone. Had intercourse Thursday, no string felt by husband, no cramps nothing. I will review again after my cycle, but I have never been one to have an awful period. I'm a 29 year old 5 foot 105 lb female, I had previously been on the pill for 12 years."

Kate Carlson March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "I'm 25 with two kids. I had my insertion on January 16th. I was really scared at first thinking I was going to be in a lot of pain when in reality I didn't feel a thing. I did go a day after my menstrual cycle, and had minor cramps through out the day, but it wasn't bad. My first menstrual cycle was really heavy with painful cramps and huge blood clots it lasted about nine days, but my second menstrual cycle was horrible the bleeding was heavy and as of today I've been bleeding for 26 days and it is still going. I hate this thing so much, I'm making an appointment to get it remove and going back to pills."

Kat54653456 March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got the Paragard put in today and I have never felt such bad pain in my entire life. I would consider myself to have quite a high pain tolerance, and I almost passed out while the doctor was measuring my cervix. All of the color drained out of my face and everything became sparkley. The doctor and her assistant were very helpful and walked me through the whole process, but nothing could prepare me for the pinching cramping pain. I am spotting just a little, and the cramps are still doing pretty bad. Ibuprofen wouldn't cut it for me so I had to take something a bit stronger with a glass of wine and a heating pad, but other than that the cramping is definitely a lot better than it was 5 hours ago."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have been using paragard for almost 3 years now. So far so good. But since I got it inserted, I don't have regular period. Just spotting here and there. I don't even need to use a pad. I'm worried because most of women have complain about heavy period but mine is totally opposite. I am having thyroid problems also. I wonder if its because of IUD. Doctor said its okay not to have period but my belly is so bloated and looks like 8 months pregnant."

Maya2017 March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "2nd time with paraguard! I'm 22, no kids. My first one was put in 6 months ago but slid down and was causing pain. (I had a traumatic incident with a diva cup.) Other than that never had an issue. No pain during sex, slightly heavier bleeding. My periods even got shorter and less painful. (My Dr didn't believe me as she is a mirena pusher.) No mood swings, no weight gain. Make sure you take a full 800mg of Motrin and Tylenol along with it. Take a few days off from work as I got cramps with heavy movement. Insertion is about a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Seriously, don't be scared. This bc method is an absolute life saver !!"

20lexlex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Hi! So I'm 26 with 3 kids I had my last baby 3 months ago and I decided to get something that I wouldn't have to worry for a long time. It wasn't painful at all the only time I felt a hard pinch was when the doctor said he would measure my uterus I felt when he inserted the IUD but it was not painful at all.. when I went home I felt cramping throughout the day but ibuprofen did the work I haven't had any bleeding at all ...I will update in a few weeks!"

Saraeee March 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I really liked this birth control. Except a couple things.. constant yeast infections and sooooo much vaginal discharge it was so disgusting. My periods would also come heavy for 10 days. I mean it's convenient but I wouldn't put it in again."

Mommy122 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "Iud copper worst mistake of my life . I have 2 children and had it inserted right after a miscarriage in November 2016. Was so excited to have it because I heard so many good things about it from my friends . However it gave me the most painful cramps one can imagine. My period would last for 10_13 days and it was so heavy I had to stay home miss work the clots were so huge and very very painful I gained weight. Also I had very long heavy periods I would bleed after sex, I would have this brownish discharge constantly, and pain - it was a nightmare so had it removed 14/03/17 will go back on the pills hope I remember to take the pill"

Gurley March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I am 20 years old now and have had Paragard in for about 3 months. I can honestly say this was such a good decision! I have never had kids or an abortion, so I am not the usual patient for these. To describe my experience, I researched a lot about this before I went in and thought getting it in was going to hurt LIKE CRAZY. It didn't. It felt mildly uncomfortable for about 10 seconds then that was it. As for the first few days after, the cramps were bad, I'll admit that. I have never had period cramps before then so I will admit I was pretty miserable, but it was definitely worth it in the long run! Ever since, I have had little cramping and my periods have been ever so slightly heavier than usual but not that bad! Highly recommend!"

INeedANewName123456 March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Hi I am 18 and have no kids. So I had paragard inserted about two weeks ago insertion process was just very bad cramping that continued for that entire day but it actually wasn't too bad. But I'm already concerned with the paragard. pros: unprotected sex and no hormones since I do not do well with hormones as I had been on the pill previously. My side effects may be TMI but they are horrible vaginal odor that is non stop, moderate cramping after sex, and non stop discharge. The strings also poke my boyfriend which is sometimes a distraction... I haven't had my period with it yet but I'm honestly very worried about it. If you are considering paragard, just be aware of all possible side effects."

krisAZ (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "One of the best decisions I have made. After having my first child, I decided I wasn't ready to have another anytime soon. I have never been on birth control because I absolutely did not want the extra hormones. I felt 0 pain during the insertion. I was on day 2 of my period, which greatly helps because the cervix is softened. I would recommend trying to schedule the insertion sometime on your menstrual cycle. I have ALWAYS had a medium- heavy 7 day period. I did notice my bleeding has increased on day 1-3, but is normal the rest of the time. No increased cramping, or other side effects. Everyone is different but for me, this has been one of the best things I have done. 100% successful so far!"

ValE123 March 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "Had my Paragard for 10 years and loved it! My periods did become heavier for the last two years, but only for a day or two. Insertion was painful, but my children were born via c-section, so that made a difference. The last six months I was diagnosed with anemia, believed to be due to the heavy menstrual bleeding. Since I had to have it removed anyway I decide to try the Mirena. Insertion was better with cervix softening meds. But within a few days I began having panics attacks, nausea, loss of appetite, severe dizziness, sharp pains in my abdominal, head, and chest. Immediately had the Mirena removed and symptoms improved. Going to give the pill a try even though I've never tolerated hormones well. Consult for tubal planned in four months."

JCK0417 March 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Every woman is different so make sure you talk to your dr about what is best for you. But I personally don't think women who have never had a kid should get an IUD. I had an AWFUL experience with mirena (extremely painful placement) before I had a child several years ago . Experienced terrible pain after 30 days and had it removed. And bled for 6 months. But my Dr. said that since I've had a child I should have a different experience with an IUD because my uterus is larger after having a child. So I decided to get Paraguard. Since they're no hormones and it lasts 10 years. I had it placed today and it hardly hurt at all. Just some mild cramping. So far so good.. hopefully I continue to have a good experience."

Cnicho14 March 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Wanted to share a positive story on here! I love the Paragard and recommend it to everyone I know. I am currently 21, got my Paragard inserted in July 2014 when I had just turned 19. Never been pregnant or given birth. I had never been on birth control because I didn't want to use hormonal birth control or take a pill everyday. Gyno prescribed Misoprostol to take before the process, which I believe really helped with insertion. The IUD failed to insert twice, but went through the third time, and I've had NO problems since! Works perfectly with a steady boyfriend, I love the long-term use and no hormones. I highly recommend for young women who don't want to have children until their late 20's/early 30's!"

Kate0909 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "I have found that the Internet is flooded with really negative reviews on the copper coil, so I thought I'd share my experience. I'm 19 and have no children, I was on the pill for a while a few years ago but it made me very hormonal. I have a lot of mental health difficulties and take medication for that and don't like the idea of taking hormones that screw with my head! I've heard many good stories about the coil so decided this was a good option. It got fitted yesterday, the procedure only took about 5 minutes and was completely painless - a bit weird and uncomfortable, but painfree. I was very crampy after so was taking painkillers but now feel great! I would definitely recommend, I was so worried about the pain but it was fine :)"

naomi2709 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I am 28 with one child who is now five years old. I decided to try an IUD after becoming tired of having to take a pill every single day to prevent unwanted pregnancy. The insertion was EXTREMELY painful for me (I should note however that I due have a very low pain tolerance!) and I almost passed out. I had to lay on the table in the doctors office for 15 minutes before I felt well enough to drive home. After insertion I felt some mild cramping and spotting but nothing ibuprofen couldn't take care of. I have now had the paragard for 5 months and am so happy with it. My first 2 menstrual cycles were very, very heavy but they are now more normal and only last 3-4 days. I am so happy I got this IUD, no more hormones!"

Anastasia1111 March 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "33 y/o w/ 1 child, ParaGuard (copper IUD) over 2 yrs now. Originally chose due to non-hormonal option (had extreme nausea on the pill.) POSITIVE: had immediate nausea relief, no daily pill, no mood swings/weight changes. NEGATIVE: long, heavy, painful periods like never before & did not improve over time. 1-2 days became 7. Super Plus tampon each 45 min and lots of stained clothes. A simple tampon change on a "Paraguard period" can make your bathroom look like a scene from Dexter. Hubs felt IUD string poking him until doc tucked it farther up/inside cervix. It served its purpose for a season of life, but now I'm willing to give hormones another try & switching to Mirena."

BK (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had paragard inserted 8 weeks after my 2nd baby was born (2years back).The process was not painful but uncomfortable. Paragard has helped me in having no pregnancies- so it does what its supposed. But at the cost of what! I was 5'3' 120lb when I got it. I started gaining weight not sure whether paragard is to blame. My periods are so heavier that I can't use tampons, and have to change the thickest pad every 2 hours for 2 days out of 5 days. My blood tests shows I am anemic despite the fact I am particular about diet. I have had constant yeast infections , 1 episode of UTI which I never had before in my life. There is a constant discharge, and pantyliner is a must. I'm getting removed. Pattern-most bad reviews are by people who had it for a while."

Suvi123 March 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Was on the pill for 9 months, hated it, 18 periods I asked my Dr. about the ParaGard because I was tired of hormones that weren't my own. He told me how it's mostly for women who have had children and that it makes you cramp, bleed more, and doesn't help with acne, ovarian cancer, and ovarian cysts like the pill and other hormonal based b/c's do. But I insisted that is what I wanted and he put it in, it literally ONLY felt like a deep cramp when he opened my cervix. Now almost 4 months later all I can say is I have a period every 3 weeks now rather 4. My cramps have barely worsened. I actually love it! This month I spotted for the first 3 days and it was brown then boom she came. My periods are 13 days now, not 7. Which I don't mind at all."

Aly.bong March 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "There's some pretty crazy reviews on here, but I love my paragard. Mine was free (thanks Obama!) I don't think I ever wanna have kids someday and I don't wanna deal with hormonal birth control, so this was a perfect choice for me. The side effects rocked my world for the first 3 months. You definitely need to have tolerance for pain, but come on, us women do. But after that, everything is back to normal. Got it checked out today (4 months later) and it's still in the right place. I'm addicted, and I'm so glad I finally have one now after a good year of searching."

Ashleythevagabond March 1, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "I've had it for 2 years and it's about to get removed! I have about 2 periods a month, I'm always tired, the cramping in one side is excruciating "

BadlyDisappointed February 28, 2017