User Reviews for Copper

Birth Control
7.1

Summary of Copper reviews 7.1 865 reviews

Reviews for Copper

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "The paragard is bad. The insertion didn’t hurt, but the side effects of copper toxicity are hell. Hair loss, brain fog, anxiety, depression, fatigue, mood swings, headaches, nausea, & the list goes on. I hate this thing, and every time I think about it- it makes me sick. I can’t wait to have mine removed. I’ve been begging my insurance and doctor’s office for over a year now to take it out. My second child is 2, and I feel like I haven’t been able to throughly enjoy her for living in hell."

Queen_BCC November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I recently had my paragard removed after approximately 7 years. I had a few heavy periods but not a big deal. I understand that some people have more trouble than others. However, some people also can handle less than others. I had my child at 37 (at this time I was financially and emotionally able to take care of a child without financial support) It was an easy birth and I was up, showered and fine within a few hours. I did raise her on my own...Note to women (and men), If you decide to have a child, know that you may be doing it on your own so do not depend on anybody else ( or taxpayers) to pay for or your child. I like this form of birth control as it did not require me to remember pills and no way I could "accidentally" ;) get pregnant"

notabitcher (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I’ve had ParaGard for almost 5 years, since I was 20. Never been pregnant nor on any other type of BC. I remember the insertion being painful, like the worst cramps I’d ever felt, but brief, and then I was crampy for a few days. Overall not horrendous. My first 4-5 periods on it were pretty gnarly, though, with really heavy bleeding and horrible cramps; I had to miss school/work even with ibuprofen. It has gotten better, though. Pre-IUD, my natural period was light with rare cramps. I love that it is non hormonal, which is why I’ve kept it in for 4.5 years, but I’m getting really sick of the heavy 6-7 day period with heavy cramps and backache every single month. I’m considering getting it removed, but don’t know of a better option for BC."

Mads123456 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I'm terrified of my first period since I've heard so many horror stories. When I got it put in it hurt REALLY bad felt like labor but I had it placed at PP where they don't numb the cervix or anything. Afterward I cramped like contractions the rest of the day, but Ibuprophen helped a lot. I bled lightly for about 3-4 days and a week in I had sex which made me bleed very lightly on the toilet paper only for that night. Other then that I've forgotten I have it and I love it so far. I've had every other BC except the shot. The implant & mirena made me bleed for months on end so I was happy I stopped the bleeding a few days after getting this in. I'm still scared of my first period, but hopefully its not bad!"

JenniferM32 November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "The first couple periods with the copper IUD were pretty intense with cramps and heavy bleeding- however, as each month goes by my periods have started to return to normal. Really happy I️ chose this birth control especially because hormonal bc was giving me all kinds of issues, especially yeast infections. Will be sticking with the copper for a while!"

Kayla.m November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Having bad experiences with hormones in pills causing mood swings and acne I wanted to try the non hormone Paragard and I was SO scared of insertion I read horror and good stories on it and almost backed out but I didn’t... A hour and a half before I took two midol and listened to music with one headphone out so I could hear the doctor and braced for the worst and it wasn’t painful at all more like annoying! A slight pinch and a little bit of cramping and so quick he said “I’m almost done” and I was in shock how fast it went - not even 5 minutes that I had been there, more like 2-3 and it was over! Definitely thankful and so far so good. Worth a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I was on Paraguard for about 3 and a half years. Insertion didn't hurt at all for me. I had it placed after my second child was born. Everything seemed fine for a long time, except for the super heavy periods. I accepted the periods in exchange for convenient BC. However, the periods got worse. I was starting to lose my hair, and I had no energy. I got blood work done and my ferretin levels were crazy low. Doctor told me to take heavy duty iron supplements. That helped my energy levels, but the hair continued to fall out. I also had a huge increase in anxiety, panic attacks, heart palpitations. I never had these kinds of symptoms in the past, and I'm starting to wonder if it was all related to the Paraguard. Just had it removed."

jvee1000 November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I love this! I'm 19 and never had sex or been pregnant. The insertion was honestly just about as painful as an ovarian cyst I had burst less than a year ago. IUD insertion pain lasted for about 2 minutes, and after they took out the long metal tools used to pry open the cervix, I felt kind of nauseous and like I had major period cramps. I laid down for about 5 minutes afterward. Now, three weeks later, my discharge is a bit more than normal and there is blood streaking it, just the lightest tint though. But I absolutely LOVE this birth control. My mom had hers in for about 5 years but got pregnant after it slipped down, the fetus conceived above the IUD. The baby had a .04% chance of living after removal, and today she is six years old."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have had the paraguard for 7 months and my periods are very heavy. Prior to this I had short light periods. I anemic to begin with so I need to take iron supplements while on my period. I have a retroverted Uterus and now have constant low back pain. Not sure if its related but I it wasn't this bad before the IUD. I can't lose ANY weight and I am always tired. I'm getting it out next week. Its just not my cup of tea but it is a very convenient birth control and isn't terrible but I am just ready to not have any thing in my body."

costagirl16 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had the Paraguard IUD inserted in Nov of 2016,I've been on several different bc pills and also nuvaring. I wanted something without hormones and that I didn't have to think about. Before when I wasn't on bc or on one of the others I mentioned I would have slight to no cramping and very light periods lasting less than 7 days. Since I've had the paraguard I experience extreme cramping and very heavy periods having to use 3-4 super plus tampons for the first 3 days and the periods last longer than before. I was told this would probably be temporary so I gave it time, it hasn't changed in almost a year. For me it isn't worth it. I'm considering getting mine removed and going back to nuvaring."

Prulaf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Absolutely horrible. I bled for 50 days straight and the only reason I stopped dripping blood was because I had it taken out. It caused never ending BV and yeast infections despite endless antibiotics and medications. I was miserable."

m1996 November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Such a miserable experience. I could not wait to have it removed. Copper inside the body caused pelvic inflammation. The worst pain.."

AngelKS November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "This was one of the worst experiences of my life, I had the copper IUD inserted about 5 months ago and got it removed today! Those were the worst 5 months of my life! To start off the insertion was extremely painful (I've also never had any children). From there all the awful side effects started. Periods from hell! I bleed like I've never in my life before, cramps were so bad I had to call out of work a few times and only laying in the bed with a heating pad helped them. I lost so much blood I ended up with anemia, and looked like a walking zombie all the time. & then after about 2 months of this my face began to break out with very painful cystic acne everywhere. (I've never had a problem with acne my whole entire life). Worst thing ever"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Apparently there is a word limit here so I’ll try to get my point across. This is NON Hormonal, a lot of bad reviews with complaints that a hormonal BC would cause. Paragard doesn’t have hormones and therefore SHOULD NOT cause the affects that some of the other reviewers are complaining about. Also Copper poisoning is not an issue, read the studies done. You have no more copper in your body than what’s already naturally there. So don’t feed into the negative feedback. Do your own research and discuss with YOUR doc the best option for you. I personally LOVE paragard."

CRH29 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got paragard after having my son in 2012. By Feb 2014 I was having an extremely heavy period (not normal for me) and severe pain. Doctor at the ER didn't think it could be from the IUD. After antibiotics I was fine. In April 2014 I had it removed because I was getting married and wanted to plan for more children. After almost a year of trying to have a baby we sought help from a fertility specialist. After testing it was found that I had a damaged tube and a completely blocked tube. I have a less than 10% chance of having a baby without the help of IVF. I was devastated... I am still devastated. My fertility specialist said that the IUD was more than likely the cause, especially after getting a pelvic infection while having the IUD."

S. E. Fields (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "My first time using something to inserted inside my uterus was the Paragard. First time ever. I have gotten my paragard last month in September of 2017. The procedure was only painful when the Dr. Inserted the device inside and that all. I was on my cycle at the time so after the procedure I was feeling crampy like a cycle. A month later in the middle of October I started feeling sick to the stomach, and moody. I started having all kinds of pregnancy symptoms. Oct. 25 I didn't get my cycle so now I'm nervous. And today Oct. 27 I purchased 2 pregnancy test and took my test came back PREGNANT in digital pregnancy test. I only had this thing for a MONTH and I'm already pregnant. And I have a bad heart. It is not right at all."

Anonymous October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "No complaints, love it, best form of birth control for me. So, when I was pregnant with my 3rd child I was for certain I was done having babies, but remembering to take a pill everyday would be impossible. I mean I could hardly remember to take my vitamins. Then the hormone pills drove me insane. Moody, I was nasty to anyone and everyone, nope definitely not the pill again. Doc told me about paragard non hormonal IUD and informed me that it can be done post placenta (after child birth and placenta.) Decided to give it a try. Did not hurt at all, but then again after child birth nothing else seems to matter to you. Well almost a year later, no problems. I can go about my daily life style and not think about birth control or fear that I'm pregnant"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had paragard placed over 2 years ago after constantly experiencing negative side effects from ALL other forms of birth control. Insertion was awful. AWFUL. It felt like I was in labor all over again and missed a day and a half of work because of how severe the cramps were. The side effects I noticed right away were VERY heavy periods and VERY painful cramps. Then, within a year, I noticed I had become very restless, moody, low energy, and constantly bloated. Thinning hair, tired, some weight gain and unable to sleep. I just had my paragard removed over a week ago and already notice a huge, positive difference in my body and mind!!! I didn't hate paragard, but definitely won't get it again."

nwl23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "I was put on birth control 1x in high school (pill) for acne. I was emotional and gained weight, I lasted a few weeks. 3 years ago I tried once again (Nuva Ring) to see if it would work for me, I lasted once again a few weeks. I was going on some meds that required I be on birthcontrol, I knew the only non hormone option was the Paragard. I have never had any children and I do have a very high pain tolorance. I had it inserted Sept 21. It hurt, but tolorable. I've been spotting since. But it's better for me than gaining weight and crying all the time. It's worth the cramping and spotting. My period is heavier but it not unbearable. Cramps are worse, but manageable."

Chelsea93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had my paraguard in for the full 10 years with little to no issues.. menstrual cramps were slightly more intense but periods were pretty short. Insertion was easy..just a quick pinch/cramp and done. Removal even easier and painless.. I had mine taken out during my period a couple of days ago. Period seems slightly heavier but no other side affects."

Pachna October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "I've had my Paragard IUD for right at a year it was put in for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. After insertion I did get a little bit of bleeding and then immediately I got my period. It became regular after that. On September 1st, I got spotting that wasn't normal for me, then a week later got what I thought would be my normal period. It is not normal - 46 days later and I'm still bleeding. At 19 days, I was told that it was steroid injections I was getting in my neck after a minor car accident I was in. I stopped getting them and no change. 2 weeks ago, I went back to the gyno and they put me on progesterone and said that it should stop the bleeding in 10-14 days. During the time I was on the progesterone, the bleeding became lighter. Now 4 days after I finished the progesterone, its back to Heavy"

Blondie1015 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "My experience was great! I was so nervous about inserting it in but it was painless. My doctor told me to cough while she was inserting it and felt nothing. I had no pain just felt tired that day but besides that the cramping was very mild feeling nothing really (lasting only 2 days) It’s been 1 week so far and I feel like nothing is there. Best birth control for me. I’ve took the pills before and would forget to take my pills and stress out. Now I’m stress free and so glad I have chosen this form of birth control."

Lexiss (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "I had the IUD placed back in April of 2017. The pain from insertion was short lived. Honestly, if you are used to having painful cramping, you will not be greatly affected by the insertion. If you have a low pain tolerance, you might want to have some OTC pain meds with you. Also, wear a panty liner, my OB didn't provide one at insertion and there was some bleeding. The first few months, my cramps were a bit stronger, but nothing I couldn't function normally through; flow was also a bit stronger, but again, nothing I couldn't function normally through. I do remember feeling an occasional twinge of pain if I sat down too hard the first month and sex left me feeling a very dull ache in the area where the IUD sits. It's been fine ever since."

jillbert (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "After reading A LOT of reviews I was second guessing my decision of trying the Paraguard but I'm so glad I did! After having my second child I knew I didn't want anymore at least for 5+ years (I'm 22) but I breastfeed and I also didn't want anything hormonal. My side affects have been very little. Love it!"

ASOSA (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "My 1st Paraguard had to be removed within a few months because of a painful endometriotic infection. I had a 2nd IUD put in 2 years later, at which point I started getting Low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LSIL) pap results, which have continued for the 10 years that I have had the device: I think the chronic inflammation caused by the IUD prevents my body from healing this. In the last 3 years breast cysts began proliferating, some infected, which baffle the doctors because they associate them with taking hormones: Copper toxicity can cause hormonal imbalance. I have had regular, off-colored discharge & frequent spotting. I have had an extra period (2 in 1 month) 3 times a year, & my periods last for 7 days (once 4 weeks). My migraines have intensified, & I often have cramping."

silvrwood (taken for 10 years or more) October 16, 2017