User Reviews for Copper

Birth Control 522 reviews 292 medications

7.7
Summary of Copper reviews 522 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Copper

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "So this is day 2 after getting Paragard and am still in pain. The insertion was unbelievably bad! No kids and already heavy cycle to start. I have many tattoos so I can take the pain but I am glad that its over with. The cramps are painful and come and go! I am hopeful and will stick this out bc I can't have any hormonal bc any more due to migraines with aura and possibility of stroke with use. I can't wait for this pain to go away!"

ncosta (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have a 2 1/2 year old and got the paragard placed after 6-8 pp. I went to the ER presenting with appendicitis and come to find out i am 8w5d pregnant! Needless to say I am very angry about this because I had to go through two very painful procedures to retrieve my Iud with no success...as well as a tore cervix ..so I am now looking at a major surgery to remove it! The pregnancy is above my iud so it is very very painful.....I am absolutely miserable.....DO NOT GET THIS PLACED IT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!"

Fire chick December 6, 2016

For Birth Control: "I had my copper IUD placed while I was on my period. Your uterus is dilated during your period making insertion easier. The insertion felt like the onset of birthing contractions and it lasted about 30 seconds to 1 minute. I have read a lot of reviews where girls bleed for weeks after insertion. My doctor said that usually only happens if you are coming off of certain types of birth control, but the IUD should not be the cause of it. He was right. Prior to insertion I was not on birth control for a very long time. I had a heavier period after insertion and I cramped a bit that day. My period lasted for my usual amount of time. I had relations about a week after with no complication with above if not average size and he did not feel it."

Sofie01130104 December 6, 2016

For Birth Control: "I got the copper IUD inserted just after my period, I've never had children before, in fact, I was a virgin(I believe in being proactive). I'd never even had a speculum exam prior, so I was bound to experience a lot of pain. Which I did, but it all came from from the speculum. The sound and insertion caused slight cramping, but nothing serious. I spotted and cramped for about five days after the insertion. I'd definitely recommend this, it's 12 years of protection for a relatively short adjustment period. But virgins beware, this was the most painful experience of my life."

JesBaby23 December 5, 2016

For Birth Control: "I had Paraguard implanted in June 2016. I immediately got a yeast infection; which I hadn't had one in about 10 years. After that, it seemed to cause yeast infections almost monthly. The worst part about having it was that it caused longer periods and very heavy bleeding. My periods went from about 5 days to 8-9 days. It was heavy bleeding all 8-9 days. I use menstrual cups and before paraguard, I never leaked even on my heaviest days. I had to change my menstrual cup 3-4 times a day and wear a panty liner to prevent ruining my panties and pants from embarrassing leaks. I felt the heavy bleeding was holding me back from things like working out. Had it removed and went back on the mini pill. Periods are normal again."

Fiercefoxie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got the Paraguard inserted in Taiwan, when I met my now husband. I'm giving a one star review because I got pregnant, lucky us right.. Anyways, not a successful form of birth control for us and we had to deal with what to do while both of us are expats living abroad, ultimately the pregnancy ended in a miscarriage which is pretty common after having the IUD removed. Just a shitty situation and I wouldn't recommend this IUD to others.. We asked the doctor how this could have happened, as we regularly get it checked to make sure it's in place, and he said we both must be ultra fertile. We have switched to the hormonal IUD so we'll see how that works for us-- apparently it's more effective."

GlobalGal (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got the Paraguad inserted a few days before I left for France. I took the pill that softens your cervix the night before and Advil a few hours before. I was also on my period which supposedly makes the insertion easier. The procedure barely hurt at all! Just a little discomfort like a Pap smear but for slightly longer. I had moderate period craps that day and I was back to normal the day after! After day one, I have felt to good! I feel invincible and excited to know that I will not be having any accidental babies! I love not worrying about having to take the pill. I am curious how this will affect my next period but so far I love it so much and the procedure seriously was not bad for me at all. Good luck guys!"

Weho girl (taken for 10 years or more) December 4, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "So far so good, but there has been more than a few times I "hands down" just KNEW I was pregnant., but I never am....(thank goodness). I don't know why this happens and it is quite scary. I get moody, have tender breasts and get fluffy around the middle. It's so odd! And thank God I'm not a betting woman because I have been so sure I was expecting, that if someone asked me to be all of my money I would have. I'm having one of those times now and I still have 2 weeks to go for Aunt Flo.... UGH! I give Paragard a 9 just because of the anxiety I get from occasionally assuming I am expecting."

LisaTurner1002 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I HATE hormonal BC. I tried at least 20 since having period issues in High School. After having my one and only, I had my IUD put in. My doc had put in hundreds, no insertion issues. Things went well the first year; I had some string scared but promptly had an ultrasound to check and make sure the IUD was in place. I've had it over 4 years now. I've had several cysts on one ovary that grow to the size of grapefruits before rupturing; something I had never experienced before. This came with very long, very heavy periods. No pregnancy scared but have had to start taking a 2 month cycle of hormonal BC for the first time in over a decade to try and correct the issue. I tried to wait it out and it's only gotten worse. 4 days in. Oh boy."

SteffyAlice (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I needed an IUD because I am terrible at remembering pills and my husband and I don't even know if we want kids. And this may be TMI, but we hate condoms, and while he was excellent control and always pulled, it's still a little nerve wracking. So we thought we would try this. I'll admit, it hurt a lot when they put it in. It helped that my dr kept telling me what she was doing the whole time and she paused. It was over really fast but I hurt a lot and her assistant had to keep reminding me to breath and flex my toes. They brought me water and told me to lay there as long as I needed to. Stayed about 10 minutes only What saved me during my worst time next 3 days was Promethazine 25mg, 1 tab every 12 hours. Treats nausea and pain a little."

C B November 30, 2016

For Birth Control: "I have been on almost every BC you can think of and none of it has ever worked or has to many hormones and made me go insane lol. But I got the Paraguard IUD back in December after having my second child. It was very painful and I bled a lot when they inserted it but I have had nothing but good things to say about it . I'm not moody ever like I was with other bc and I do have my cycle every month at the same time which has never happened before with other bc. My cramps are a little bad but other than that I give nothing but good reviews for this ."

Kristinac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2016

For Birth Control: "I had the copper IUD inserted yesterday. 22, no children, pretty low pain tolerance. I took 800mg of Motrin. I almost chickened out, but the insertion pain WASN'T THAT BAD. I wasn't on my period so she had to use two seperate instruments to stretch me out. I was prepared for the worst but all you feel is a few abdominal cramps during the measuring process. Now, afterwards I've had the worst cramps and almost thought about pulling the thing out myself as I began puking from the pain. I'm hoping this is only initial, as the placement of it is perfect. Don't be scared !"

Alex2121 November 29, 2016

For Birth Control: "I am getting paraguard taking out today.. I suffer from severe headaches, I feel like u talk very slow and feel mentally slow, I keep bleeding heavy not spotting and I have blood clots associated with it.. Also, I have rosaeca and it made my rosacea act up. It's just not for me... Point blank period.. I don't recommend if u have these conditions.. Be blessed every one.. Also today I saw that the mirena, and depo shot has a recall on them causing serious injuries.. Be careful just use protection,pull out or get a plan b pill.. Just saying..."

Na/ na 1 November 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have had the copper coil for just over 3 years now and would certainly never recommend to others!! I've experienced persistent: - Pelvic pain/cramps even when it's not my time of the month! - really heavy periods/clots! - Migraines. - Skin breakouts. - Hair loss. - Depression/anxiety. The list is endless!! I finally researched the copper iud and found thousands of women if not more with exactly the same symptoms!! I am finally getting mine removed on Wednesday and I cannot wait!!!"

Xhappymummyx (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have had the IUD in since 2009, it caused cramps for about 3 days, spotting then was normal. If works by causing your cervix to swell some and copper is a natural birthcontrol. I confirmed with my doctor that the paraguard does not contain nickel before I had it placed. Also you are warned before it's placement that many experience heavy bleeding and more cramps. In fact my cramps have lessened in the past few years. If your normal cramps keep you in bed, or cause you to buckle avoid IUDs always be open and honest with your doctors and older woman and woman who have had children tend to respond better."

Jbunnybush (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 20, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I recommend Paraguard 200%! I am sharing my experience everywhere I can, because after my second child, when researching getting paraguard online, all I saw were negative reviews (because typically people don't go online to post the good, they post the bad). I got my Paraguad IUD inserted 7 weeks post partum from my second vaginal birth. I was so afraid of having it placed, and thinking it may hurt.. but I was so surprised I did not feel a dang thing! My doc said it is a side affect of having a baby.. your cervix is a bit numb for some time. I had very minimal cramping and some bleeding for a week, then did not even notice it was there. My first period was crampy and heavy, but all were normal after that. Heavier, but normal"

jujugirl7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have had my Paragard for one year, and it's been great! Insertion was not pleasant, but it only lasts a moment and now it's nothing but a distant memory. My periods were heavier and my cramps more severe for the first three months, but after that they returned to nearly the same as before. So many people wrote about their terrible experiences that reading up almost stopped me from doing it, and now I'm so glad I got it anyway. Just remember that those who had a negative experience are more likely to post about it, so there's a bias! It's also totally possible that it will go just fine and be a fantastic BC method. Don't be too afraid to try it and see if it's right for you, you can always take it out if it's not."

K-bear November 17, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I read a lot of reviews before getting paragard and they almost made me not get it because some sound so awful. But I have honestly had a great experience and so I wanted to share that. When I first got it in I was not on my period so the insertion process was painful. I had cramps and heavy bleeding for about 3 days after and then the cramps went away and the bleeding lightened. The bleeding was over with in about 5 days after insertion. I honestly didn't have any spotting between then and my first period post-insertion. My first period after the bleeding was heavier than before I had it, but nothing super excessive and the heavy bleeding was only for 2-3 days. My period ended in 6 days. Next period was the same. No spotting in between."

Jenna891 November 16, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I was really excited to try the Paraguard because I had been on the pill before but it made me really sick. The insertion was pretty painful but only lasted a few seconds but after that I experienced the worst pain I have in my entire life. I was cramping everyday and I would take 1000 mg of acetaminophen and nothing. Keep in mind I'm pretty petite and 400mg normally do the trick for me. Two weeks later I got my period and I almost had to go to the hospital because I was on the verge of passing out from how much blood I lost. I have heavy periods and pretty bad cramps so painful periods are common for me but this was a whole other thing. The doctor told me my body was rejecting it. Save yourself the pain don't get it!!"

Eli97 November 15, 2016

For Birth Control: "I got the paraguard around 6 months ago and have been having severe side effects I attribute to excess copper in my system. (I'm also a vegetarian and my diet is high in copper). I have never had heavy or painful periods, on or off hormonal birth control. Now my periods are 10-15 days with spotting in between, moderate cramps several days before, and through the duration of my period. The majority of days on my period, I go through a super tampon every 1-2 hours. I started experiencing increasing anxiety when I got this IUD, in the last week i've had a several panic attacks a day. 2 so severe, I ended up in the ER (at the hospital I work) i've developed health anxiety. I'm having it removed in 2 weeks. Don't recommend."

LBC116 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Covered under family pact in California. Insertion was painful for a few seconds and cramps for a few minutes then just general tenderness. Took about 3 months to fully adjust to it. Experienced more hair shedding and painful periods. It failed and I GOT PREGNANT! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!!"

Socalwoman123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Worst mistake of my life. I found out after a year of terrifyingly heavy periods that lasted all but 5 days a month and cramps that made me an invalid regularly that this iud contains copper plated nickel. DO NOT USE THIS IUD if you have ANY sort of sensitivity to nickel! You will wish you could die and you will feel sick 100% of the time. I toughed it out for a long time with paragard to see if it would get better. It didn't. Don't wait if a bc disagrees with you...you might lose a year of being functional and happy because of a bc that ruins your physical and/or mental health like this one did for me."

SkippingtheAngryAuntFlo (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I've had the paraguard IUD for about a year and a half now. I'm not sure I'd recommend it since I'm considering getting it taken out. The insertion was quite painful. I felt like my blood pressure went down, I got light headed and cold. For the next two days the pain was unbelievable but I still went to my office job. I was and still do take 800 mg of ibuprofen twice a day when I'm on my period. I'd say the cramps during my period were intense for a year until they started to calm down. Now the cramps are more bearable but I hate that they last longer than a week. Every month I say I'm gonna get it removed, but the convenience of not having to worry about taking any pills or worry about unwanted pregnancy stops me."

Jess182999ih November 11, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Okay so the paragard work well to prevent pregnancy i had it for 3 years. Love it and it didnt mess with my period at all much besides increase cramps. But 3 years into having the paragard something strange started to happen. I dont know if it was the iud but im thinking it was cause a month after removal i felt just like my old self. I was so dizzy, headaches when i went to bed and when i woke up, fatigue bad, mood swings where i was angry then crying for now reason, i lost half of my hair it was coming out in clumps, panic attacks that resembled strokes no joke my hands would turn into claws and i seize up. I had blood work done and even had dr. Think it was a brain or adrenal tumor. But no... IUD came out and 3 weeks later I'm back."

Tsosie November 10, 2016

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had the Paragard IUD for 6 months, I chose this particular birth control because it has no horomones! My experience getting the device inserted was smooth.. it didn't hurt at all, but there was indeed some pressure! I was sore for about 3 days, my periods stayed the same, and everything was normal.. the only thing I would point on though was I kept having a strong cramp in my tail bone and sex was quite uncomfortable! Other then that this birth control gave me no other problems."

Mrtnz November 10, 2016