User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Birth Control

Summary of Copper reviews 7.0 927 reviews

Reviews for Copper

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have had the paragard in for 6 years now and love it! I have tried other forms of birth control in the past and always seemed to have a hard time with the hormones. I have tried lower doses and I still end up with the moodiness bloating irritability major mood swings at random times. I have experienced none of that with this. Getting it put in was not the most comfortable experience... I did of course experience cramping for a couple hours after but then it subsided and I was fine. My periods were a little on the heavier side for the next 6 months but after that my periods went back to normal. I have had no issues whatsoever and happy with the paragard. My sister-in-law was also on the paragard for 8 years and then decided she wanted to try to have another child. She had it removed after 8 years and was able to get pregnant within 2 months of having it removed. She also had a positive experience with it."

Boymom37 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 21, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got the ParaGard IUD inserted about a year ago. I took about 800mg of ibuprofen before insertion. It felt like a very very bad cramp but was over quickly. Bad cramps lasted for the rest of the day. I sometimes have spotting in between my periods. I also have been having bad cramps between my period. The duration of my period is about the same as before as well as my flow. However, I have had TERRIBLE acne soon after it was inserted. I'm 22 years old and have never had more than a few pimples at a time until about a month after it was inserted. It's too coincidental not to be the cause."

VickyEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got the paraguard IUD inserted 6wks postpartum. My periods were normal but slightly more painful, especially during ovulation. There was cramping after sex that went away after 6 months. I started to notice at 8 months with the paraguard that I had severe acne. I changed my diet, I drank only water because I felt so ugly. Nothing worked and now I look crazy as hell my face is disgusting. I started thinking my PMS was getting out of control. I found myself in these crazy mood swings at least twice a week in the 9th month. The last straw is here in this review because I'm to embarrassed to admit the thoughts that have crossed my mind in the mist of what could be undiagnosed PSYCHOSIS because of a hormonal or chemical imbalance caused by the copper. I know I'm not crazy and my Dr is claiming none of these side effects can be possible because the IUD doesn't have hormones. This birth control could be poisonous. Don't ignore the signs if you have them it could be dangerous. 1yr"

Mommy&Wife February 19, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "The pain was awful when I got it inserted and a day after, and after that, my period cramps worsened noticeably. However, I'd had pretty light to non-existent cramps before, so this isn't too much of a nuisance. I now have some spotting for a week before my period. But, honestly, it's worth the small nuisances to not have to worry about taking any other hormonal birth control. Neither I nor my partners have felt the strings during intercourse either, so aside from the week of my period, I don't even know it's there."

M2018 February 17, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have had my ParaGuard for 10 years, it's about time to remove it. I had to have the threads trimmed for comfort reasons for my partner, but other than that, I haven't had a single problem related to the IUD. I am pleased with my experience."

Aimee R (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had this put in 5 months ago. I’ve never been depressed before for no reason. But after almost 3 months of depression, I’ve been having suicidal thoughts and crazy anxiety like I’ve never had before. It may be non hormonal but my doctor never once mentioned the possibility of copper toxicity. Along with 2 week periods, HEAVY periods (bleeding through supers in 30 minutes for 5 days straight), insane cramps, painful sex and hot flashes... this thing is coming out TONIGHT."

Alexj93 February 16, 2018

For Birth Control: "Had the copper iud for 6 going on 7 months..... after 6 months of regular periods I am now bleeding for 2 weeks at a time I get 4 days break then bleed for 2 more weeks........ Previously I had been using the injection but stopped as it gave me a 10kg weight gain ... but I'll be going back to my Doctor for the injection and removal of my iud....... (Please note that every woman is different I've had friends that urged me against the injection I was on as they bled for 6 months straight whereas my period stopped after the 1st one.. we are all unique and need to see what works the best for our bodies.."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got mine in 2010. It was painful to get out in but I was told by the doctor it would be. I had some bleeding and spotting for about 6 months after I got it. On some random occasions I do have some discomfort during sex but it's so random that it does not bother me. I find that it happens when I'm about to start my cycle. Yes I do get cramps now that I never had before I got the Paragard but I can deal with that. I actually have lost lots of weight. I'm not sure if it was this or the fact I'm no longer on the depo shot. All in all I'm very happy with it. I've had no issues with it and it's been in for 8 years now. I got it for 2 more years and plan to get another one after I have to get this one out."

Niiki (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 12, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I got the ParaGard on Jan 18 2018. I took a stronger pill prior to my appointment so I was able to tolerate the pain. And it worked, it just felt crampy. I spotted until my first period on February 4. Bleeding is heavier and cramps are bad. I can feel the gush of blood coming. I'm on day 6 and still bleeding. But day 6 bleeding is not so heavy. Before ParaGard, my period was 3-4 days and light and no cramps. I already made an appointment to remove it. I can’t go another month with heavy bleeding."

Andreak (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had the Paraguard for about 2 years. At first I had the normal side effects: extremely heavy periods (so heavy I would leak through my pants, this went on for months) and cramps but it was expected since my doctor told me this. My period started to become pretty regular after about 6 months. Around the year mark is when all the issues came. I started getting cold sore outbreaks all the time and my skin started getting very blotchy/ discolored. I believe the copper weakened my immune system. I also got pregnant after having it for 2 years!! As soon as I found out- I got the IUD removed and have felt great since. My immune system is back to normal and although unexpected, I now have the most amazing, healthy baby boy! Even though my child is a blessing, I wouldn’t recommend this IUD to anyone. It’s just not worth the health risks. Stick with condoms! If you absolutely cannot and do not want to get pregnant either, keep in mind it’s possible with this IUD."

Side effects and got pregnant! February 8, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "TERRIBLE!!!!!! The insertion was horrendous. For hours afterward, my uterus contracted and tried to expel it. My periods got much heavier. I had to use a tampon and a pad so that I didn't leak through to my clothes. There are so many other side effects though. There is a psychological component that isn't being investigated. You have a copper foreign object in your body. I had mine removed yesterday after 2 yrs. I struggled with the physical side effects and the emotional ones too. Depression, anxiety and then full blown panic attacks and crying spells, brain fog, memory loss, cold hands and feet, heart palpitations, paranoia, feelings of doom, enlarged lymph nodes, chronic bacterial infections, discharge, fatigue, irritability and bone spurs. Yes, it worked for preventing pregnancy but it was not worth it to me. Not everyone has the same experience but that was mine. I do not recommend it."

Liz E. February 8, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Fell pregnant after 6 months of having Paraguard IUD inserted. They told me it probably fell out. After severe pain in my abdominal region, sides and lower back got progressively worse over the years to the point of being diagnosed with fibromyalgia and after a second pregnancy pain escalated. After an X-ray MRI and CT Scan it was determined the IUD had perforated my bowel and whilst awaiting surgery I expelled it. My recovery has been said will take 18months to 2 years and I am due to see a specialist for ongoing pain since. It might be great at first (if you don’t fall pregnant) but it’s not a matter of if it will cause problems it’s a matter of when - mine was realised 11 years later - weight gain, fatigue, acne, abdominal pain, depression... the list goes on"

TJackson2018 February 8, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I cannot have hormonal birth control. This IUD is the only thing standing between me and a hysterectomy in my mid 20s due to health concerns, it’s not a good idea for me to have anymore children. I do not have any significant problems or side effects with this IUD"

AtomicBlondeshell (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Really good! No issues at all and managed to get pregnant very quickly after removal as planned"

kkff1 February 8, 2018

For Birth Control: "Love my IUD. Sucks getting it in, sucks a few days after but totally worth it. Don't read all these horror stories and decide based on these. Thousands of woman are satisfied with their IUDs. If you get it and it doesn't work, take it out. End of story. Not the nightmare being depicted lol. Anyway, I have 3 kids and after I had paragard put in, no real issues. Better then the pill and the shot for me."

Tiffjd February 7, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I became pregnant 6 years after getting the ParaGard. Not only was I surprised but I became extremely worried. At my first ultrasound they confirmed that it was still in place. After 6 appointments in two week it was determined that to get it out would mean killing my baby. So we opted to keep it in and continue with a high risk pregnancy. 22 weeks into my Pregnancy the IUD broke my water. And four days later my 23 week old, 1 pound 6 ounce son was born. 76 days after that he passed away. This is literally the worst form of birth control. Nothing should “go up there” because it is so hard to get out when it fails."

DawnDoyle February 7, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "My periods were 10-14 days long. I could no longer work full time because the bleeding was so bad there were no pads or tampons that could hold it back. Menstrual migraines Debilitating cramps Blood clots As a result of the bleeding I became anemic despite taking lots of iron. I became sick, obese, and psychologically miserable from the IUD. I began having panic attacks, I couldn't sleep through the night and it seemed my body was constantly trying to attack the IUD as if it was a virus or something else bad to be killed. When I decided to get it removed after 2.5 years, the doctor said it was "out of place" and confirmed that MANY women see her every year for the same issues. My IUD has been out for 3 years and I've finally lost weight but I will permanently be on supplemental progesterone for the rest of my life. In addition to the other health issues the IUD caused, it caused my ovaries to stop making progesterone entirely."

krawhitham February 7, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had Paragard for almost 8 months and returned to the original doctor several times complaining about my side effects but I was assured they were normal and would subside over time. I finally sought ought a 2nd opinion I was told that I had Hypochromic microcytic anemia and Iron deficiency anemia caused by Menorrhagia, so in other words the excessive amount of blood loss from my monthly cycle caused me to become anemic."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2018

For Birth Control: "When I first looked into getting the copper IUD I was terrified because of the terrible reviews but I decided to try it. The insertion was horrible, I felt dizzy and it was painful. I needed a day off work the next day because I was in pain but it was definitely worth it. My first few periods on the copper IUD were very heavy however I had been on hormonal birth control 7 years prior so lets be honest I didn't really know what normal was for me. I also had pretty bad back pain and head aches that would start 3 days before hand so I knew my period was on its way and bloating aswell. I think everything is settling down and I haven't had the back pain, head aches or bloating for about 4 cycles now and my period lasts about 4 days which is crazy! I still have one heavy day which is about day 2 and it's pretty heavy but again worth not having to worry about pills or having hormones in my body. I have lost 5 kilos from healthy diet and exercise on this so it's not impossible."

Marie199225 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Became pregnant within five months of GETTING the ParaGard."

Jessica111 February 5, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had Paragard for 1.5 years before getting PREGNANT. I had the positioning checked a mere two months before conceiving. After a little research and some feedback from my doctor, the 99%+ effectiveness rate looks like, at best, an outdated and poorly deducted statistic, or, at worst, a flat out lie to sell more ineffective birth control to women who believe they are making the best and most informed contraceptive choice for their bodies. The actual number of people who get pregnant with a Paragard, "perfectly used," is more like 1.7-3% (according to peer-reviewed research and the anecdotal evidence presented by my new OB). Do yourself a favor. Choose a different form of birth control."

HC_ February 2, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had a terrible experience with this birth control. Always feel bloated, fatigued, and losing my hair. Brain fog so bad I can barely function most days."

HannahFrei (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had the paragard in place for 3.5 years prior to having children, then again for 1.5 years (& counting) after having children. Insertion the first time was painful but brief. The doctor had me schedule my appointment while I was on my period so that my cervix would be softer, and instructed me to take OTC Tylenol to help with the pain. I had significant cramping for a few days after insertion, and some cramping and heavy bleeding during my first few periods, then my cycles went back to normal and I had absolutely no symptoms for the next 3 years. I was able to conceive 1 month after having the paragard removed, and had my 2nd paragard placed at my 6w post partum checkup after having my second child. Insertion (without any meds, and without being on my period) felt like a quick pinch, and I experienced a day of mild cramping before everything went back to normal. My personal experience with paragard has been great, and I plan on using it for as long as I’m in need of contraception!"

Anonymous February 1, 2018

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Backstory: 1st birth control, procedure @ 20 yo, never been a mom, cost outta pocket ~ $300 USD. To the brave women who've made the responsible decision to consider stable, longterm bc (condoms are NOT long-term or reliable form of birth control) I applaud you. Pros: 10 years of coverage One and done! Non-hormonal- 'nuf said! Partner comfort- he doesn't feel a thing cheap (long run)- $700 vs monthly cost of pills/shots Reliability- 99% Cons: PAIN- During procedure, 72 hrs after, & the first year. This is natural, body trying to expel, very strong contractions. Advice: Buy NSAIDs take 20 min before procedure Buy heating pad/have your honey warm you :3 Grit your teeth! Find a good doctor! My doctor treated me like a human being. She always guided me through what she was doing. I wish yall luck, Happy Hunting!"

Upfront, Informal, and Honest (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2018

For Birth Control: "Love it....have had it for 6 years so far no problems after 1st cycle (which was heavy) no side effect, no pain, slight discomfort to fit but highly recommend. Another bonus there are no pesky hormones with to deal with."

Sjp1980 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 24, 2018