User Reviews for Copper topical

6.4

1,256 reviews 320 medications
Summary of Copper reviews 6.4 1,256 reviews

Reviews for Copper

For Birth Control: "Just got my copper IUD on Saturday and I love it so far!!! Insertion hurt I would say like a 6 on a scale of 1-10 (I had a daughter already) but it only lasted like 1 minute! After I felt great! Only thing I felt was a bit anxiety in the night on the first day only but I just drank a tea to calm myself down! Since then I’ve had no problems! I’m yet to experience my first period (kinda nervous). But make sure to take Tylenol 30 min before insertion. Give it a try it may work for you!!"

Drea (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2019

For Birth Control: "Initial insertion of Paragard was slightly painful but not too bad - my doctor gave me a numbing shot and I took ibuprofen in advance, so there was just some cramping for a few hours. Pros - haven't gotten pregnant and no weight gain, acne, or depression so that's ideal. Cons - VERY heavy periods - there's usually at least one "blood waterfall day" and my periods often last 7-10 days (although not heavy the entire time). Sometimes get a bit anemic during periods. Often get random spotting and cramps during ovulation time. Overall the cramps are pretty intense as well - I generally take a LOT of ibuprofen. And no one told me this but the copper IUD greatly increases your risk of certain infections!! I can't tell you how many times I've gotten UTIs and yeast infections, often back-to-back."

charmlessouthern May 13, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "The ONLY bad part about ParaGard as a birth control is the 2 days of really heavy periods paired with cramps that I’ve never experienced with other birth control methods, but it is still well worth it though. I love not having to be concerned about hormones at all and it lasts such a long time. Been on it about 7 months now."

Sam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I have been on Paragard IUD for 6 years I've had a lot of problems from yeast to bacteria infections and my periods are really heavy the cramping is outrageous I take meds tylenol to help control the pain but I can't walk it just sucks. I want to get my IUD removed after reading these stories I just wanna be pain free. I take the medication the dr prescribed me and it goes away for a week then comes back ughh "

Beebe (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I was scared when I saw all of the bad reviews on Paragard but My DH pointed out that the people who write reviews are usually those who don't like it and all the people who have no problems just get on with their life and never think of it again. So I decided to review it after actually experiencing it. For me, the insertion didn't hurt much. There was pressure (obviously) and it hurt a couple times but just a prick and not the whole time. Some women bleed, I didn’t. I was prepared for the pain and heaviness of my periods. The first time I got my period it hurt VERY badly for about 1 hour or 2. I took a hot shower and a Motrin and it went away. My period is irregular when it used to be to the day. There is 1 sometimes 2 days/period when my flow is very heavy! I go through super tampons in 1hr. I sometimes have wicked cramps, but not every period. I usually spot a little days before and after my period. We still use condoms around the time that I am fertile just to be careful. This isn’t necessary, but I REALLY don’t want to get pregnant. We decided to use the Paraguard because it doesn’t have hormones and I highly recommend it!"

Drea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Had the ParaGard for 14 months. I think it works for some people but not for me. First five months I had longer and heavier periods, random spotting in between periods, increased discharge and cramping. After that it just got worse. The bleeding was insanely heavy, periods were not on track, bloating, cramps got worse. The worst side effects from ParaGard was I kept getting BV and UTIs back to back. I also had one cycle where my period lasted ONE month. Never had an issue with my periods or infections prior to have an IUD. I swear it was my body telling me to get rid of it. Today I finally got it removed. I really wanted this to work but it really made me miserable."

Kds (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had my Paragard placed 6 years ago. I was put under general anesthesia for insertion and experienced mild to severe abdominal pain for the three months following. I absolutely loved the Paragard and recommended it to everyone! Recently, however, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure (early-onset menopause) at age 29. A hair analysis showed extremely high levels of copper being excreted from my body, presumably from the copper IUD. In conjunction with the aforementioned issues, I've recently developed moodiness, gut dysbiosis, severe hormonal imbalances, and new allergies. While I can't prove causation, I've scheduled to have the Paragard removed, as I now believe it's causing more harm then good."

Essie (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I really like the copper IUD. It hurt like absolute hell to get it put in and the cramps after getting it were horrible for about a week. My only other complaint is my periods have become more frequent (although that is starting to change the longer I have it) and slightly heavier. I occasionally feel a little bit more bloated even when I'm not on my period. That is why it doesn't get a 10/10. Otherwise, this thing is amazing. I don't even know it's there. I love that it has no hormones. I also like still getting a period because it makes it easier for me to know everything is a-okay in there. I recommend this, especially if you are like me and have a genetic predisposition to hormones problems."

onquegirl72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "ParaGard is a GODSEND. I chose it because it has absolutely no hormones and couldn’t be happier with my decision. Insertion was extremely easy- some pressure and light cramping. I cramped for a few days after insertion and spotted for a few weeks. My period is definitely heavier and more crampy than usual but nothing unbearable. And I am hoping this changes after a year or so. Don’t let the negative reviews scare you- try it for yourself. ParaGard got me off hormones and changed my life for the better!"

Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "The insertion of ParaGard was a sharp pain but it was manageable. I spent the first month in extreme pain, constantly bloated to a painful extent and I had such sharp, brutal period cramps that would take my breath away. I had never experienced pain or discomfort like that in my life. Everyone says give it 3-6 months to adjust. I'm on month 8 now and I quit. I kept telling myself "just give it time." I wasted 8 months with this mindset. My last period was fairly normal. Then I got my current period. I took Aleve and still could not sleep. I had to breathe like I was in labor to be able to work myself through the cramps. I also believe that the bloating I get quite frequently and what feels like gas pain is from this IUD. I knew the negatives going into this - heavier periods, more cramps, etc. But as someone with a high pain tolerance I figured I'd be able to handle it. I would give this lower than 4 stars, but it has kept me from getting pregnant so it's at least doing it's job."

searchingforbc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2019

For Birth Control: "I got the copper IUD inserted with slight pain but nothing at all immediately after. Hurt a bit but as soon as I sat up it was fine. I had period pains for the first couple of days but nothing bad. I've had normal bleeding but spotting for few days before it actually comes. That was the only good thing about it. My negative side effects from this copper IUD is that I have been more depressed, anxious and in more pain than I've ever had before. It has been absolutely horrible for my partner and I. I have no sex drive, it hurts when I wee and poo. I feel like my body is constantly trying to fight it. I've had so many really depressed thoughts and back pain has been unbearable. Please make sure you do your research before you get this copper IUD! It's not worth it and ruins lives and relationships!! Woman deserve better than to be told lies like this does NOT effect you!!! LIES LIES LIES!!!!"

CC (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2019

For Birth Control: "So far so good. I have had the Copper IUD for three months and I love it. It has been super effective in preventing pregnancy (knock on wood). My periods are heavier and I experience some spotting before and after, I just take an iron pill to help. I had a terrible experience with hormonal birth control and so far I have been good with the IUD. I heard horror stories about insertion but mine was only painful for a few minutes. I will update in a few more months but so far this has been a great decision. The only downfall is the spotting before and after my period but it’s worth not being pregnant or dealing with hormones. I recommend it for anyone who has had trouble with hormonal birth control."

Alex (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Just wanted to add my experience on here since I almost decided against the Paragard after reading the negative reviews here. Thankfully, I’ve actually had a pretty good experience with the Paragard so far. I had it inserted a month and a half ago and have had 2 cycles of my period so far. I haven’t had any children so insertion was a bit uncomfortable for me but it lasted a total of 5 minutes. My periods have remained normal and cramping has been minimal. The only negative side effect I’ve experienced so far is spotting a few days before my period and a few days after (I never had this issue pre-insertion). I’m hoping that diminishes after a few months however. Overall, I’m very pleased with the paragard and would recommend it."

Liza N (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had severe headaches, pelvic pains, and cramps every single day, these symptoms resemble being on your period for 7 months. Only IUD that I’ve used that managed to fall out of place, twice. Switched to another brand and will not recommend this one to anyone. Worse 7 months of my life."

Ash (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2019

For Birth Control: "I had the Nova T380 copper coil inserted in November 2018, the insertion process was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. Overall my periods are heavier but manageable but I love that I don't have to worry about my contraception!"

Anonymous April 29, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Insertion of ParaGard was painful and had cramps for about a day and a half after, but once the pain went away it was great. The only thing I don’t like is my periods are a lot heavier and the cramps are a bit more intense. Other than that I love my ParaGard! I recommend it"

Slynn April 27, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Insertion experience was traumatic, the pain was indescribable, the best way I can describe is a machete jabbing through my cervix into my stomach it didn’t stop either it last two days after the day it was inserted. It made me nauseous too, I’m nauseous every time my period comes. I’ve had bad cramps all my life but nothing like these, they make me fall to the ground and ball my eyes out until the pain is barely bearable. The pain is so bad I can’t even think straight. I went from moderate bleeding to a blood massacre that lasts for 8-10 days. Sex is painful every time also. Imagine looking forward to it every month I’m considering ripping this out now just thinking about it after 3 months I’m miserable. Contacting my ob now"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "Had Paragard for 9 years. Worst periods ever with massive blood clots and blood loss monthly. Then exhibited signs of copper toxicity. When I had it removed, IUD was broken upon removal and embedded arm was remaining in uterus. Had multiple ultrasounds and then hysteroscopy removal of broken arm in hospital under anesthesia. Horrible product that ruined my life."

Paragard No More (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "My doctor told me I was getting Skyla, but she gave me ParaGard instead. I decided to try it because my doctor said I might end up liking it better. I’ve had the ParaGard in for about a month now, and it’s been absolutely the worst thing. Insertion was so painful that I almost fainted in the office, and the first week I was in excruciating pain. I was taking almost 2000mg of OTC pain medicine (I tried Tylenol and ibuprofen) but it did nothing at all. The cramps have since subsided, but only to be replaced with a plethora of other issues. I have headaches constantly, my depression has gone from mild/moderate to severe, my anxiety is through the roof, I’m extremely fatigued, and I feel very weak. I’m also having the worst, most painful IBS I’ve ever experienced in my life. I’m getting it removed next week, and it cannot come soon enough. I would never recommend this to anyone."

Kelz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I'm 21, I eat very healthily and exercise enough so I trusted my body could handle the copper IUD. I got it inserted while on my period. It wasn't all painful. It felt like a pinch on the uterus combined with some light cramping which was quite uncomfortable but only for a few minutes and the insertion was complete. I experienced some light cramping after that but nothing too painful though I still used painkillers as a precaution. I got brown discharge for a whole month! Sometimes the discharge were really heavy other times light. This got me worried and bothered. My next period came 4 days earlier and lasted 3 days longer but weren't heavy neither painful cramps. After that my cycle seems normal. This is the second month. No brown discharge no cramping. So far so good! I even forget I have a foreign object in my body! According to me in order to deal with the IUD you have to know your body well, trust it and give it time to adjust."

Geoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I had a horrible experience with ParaGard birthcontrol. The insertion was painful but the cramps eventually went away a day later. Every period felt like I was having minor contractions. My first IUD had expulsion issues and I had it replaced the second one I felt like the cramps were 100x worse. My last month experience with the IUD that made me call it quits was that I started bleeding and had intense cramps a week after my period which was super unusual. I couldn’t deal with it any longer so I got it removed. Although very very painful I did not get pregnant."

Ladyb April 15, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "So much pain, cramping, bleeding. I have had ParaGard for 8 months and it is still awful. Affects ability to function and care for my children. Trying to schedule removal ASAP."

Rochelle April 14, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I love that I don't have to deal with hormones on the ParaGard but the side effects aren't amazing, I have much longer and heavier periods. I never used to get cramps, I get them once and awhile. The worst is that I randomly have days where I'll spot pretty heavily. I am considering having it removed for those reasons."

RedHead87 April 11, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "I just had the Paragard place in Friday April 5, 2019. Also that was the first day of my period. I usually stay on exactly 4 days. I’m off but still spotting with serious cramps. If I don’t stop spotting and cramping by this Friday, I will be getting it removed next week. I haven’t had cramps since I was a teen. I can’t deal with this."

Lucky29 April 11, 2019

ParaGard (copper) for Birth Control: "ParaGard birth control almost cost me my life. I have dealt with the most depression and anxiety that I have ever had in my life and FINALLY came to the conclusion it was my birth control after exhausting all other avenues. I was so so depressed and in such a bad place. It made me really dive into what was causing my depression when my life is not bad and I hadn’t dealt with it prior to 4 years ago. I read a review that a mother lost her daughter to suicide a few months after insertion and realized that I have had enough."

Anon (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2019