User Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Also known as: Biaxin XL

Clarithromycin has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings for the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. 28% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 597 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Anonymous December 29, 2009

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I cannot tell you how worried I was about the side effects of this drug after I read the reviews and listened to what some of my friends said. I ended up not having any. I was prescribed Augmentin first for my upper resp infection/ear infection and it didn't work at all. I took some advice from a nurse where I work about how to take the Biaxin. I ate my meal first, then ate about 3 small pieces of dark chocolate and took the pill after that. Let me tell you the dark chocolate is a miracle worker. One time I ate chocolate after I took the pill and I got the nasty metal taste. It is TERRIBLE and you can't get rid of it for hours. So, remember...DARK chocolate BEFORE the pill.”

Mysticmelia July 18, 2019

“I went back to the doctor and she prescribed me "Clacee" 500mg which is Clarithromycin for 5 days taking two tablets daily and Prednisone 40mg per day for 5 days, because I had a secondary infection that was caused by the flu. I am now on day 3 of the antibiotics with 5 tablets left to go. I can honestly say I got side effects of the antibiotics such as the bitter taste ( which is not that bad only stays for a few hours), nausea (only in the morning and not as bad) and a loose stool once a day. For me honestly the side effects aren't that bad and it my chest feels better already on the third day. I would rather live with the side effects (which is really not that bad) than get even more sick and end up in hospital. I would also recommend you take probiotics while on the antibiotics a few hours after you have taken the antibiotics and eat yogurt during the day as well as they help restore the "healthy" bacteria in your gut as well. Hope I could help someone out.”

male-mex-patient-40yrs · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2014

“I was having sore throat, swollen tonsils, dry cough, and mucus. After 3 days with 500mg every 12hours of Claritromycin, my throat got better, productive cough and feeling better in general with more energy. Side effects bad mouth taste (bitter) specially at nights at the bed.”

Anonymous July 13, 2010

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “Worked great for infection but side effects were becoming disturbing after three days - bad taste always, couldn't sleep, too much energy - couldn't sit still, strange mental clarity and deliberate movements, frequent urination. After 3 days I didn't feel sick anymore but the side effects were too much.”

Rue55 July 10, 2016

“I'm either allergic or suffer severe side effects to all antibiotics I've tried with the exception of Clarithromycin & Ciprofloxacin. I've been taking Clarithromycin as my preferred antibiotic for over 20 years. I'm sorry to see so many people have issues with it. Maybe people like me who have always had very positive results just don't post. I do not have any side effects & have used it for everything from pneumonia to upper & lower respiratory infections. I have severe asthma so it is extremely important to stop any respiratory infection ASAP. Everyone is different pls don't dismiss this antibiotic without discussing it with your doctor & their other patients opinions. Personally, it is my antibiotic of choice.”

F77ms · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2015

“Worked well as an anti biotic however the side effects were very distressing . Nausea . heart palpitations . Severe anxiety and feelings of impending doom . Un steadiness . The worse S/e s were the awful feelings of fear which were out of proportion . I felt as if I was about to faint because of the anxiety . I felt very upset and tearful about half an hour after taking them and the mental symptoms just escalated for a few hours . I will report these side effects to the GP and hopefully there is an alternative if I ever need A/b s again for a severe chest infection .”

Hans Castorp · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

“Hey folks, be careful with this antibiotics. I know it's all very individual but I have never had such strong side effects for a antibiotic (I avoid taking such in general). It seems to be working, though very slow and perhaps I would have improved without taking it. However, I have terrible insomnia, waves of nasty feelings of despair, anxiety, dizziness, constant fatigue and needles in my limbs. I think the side effects of this drug are worse than the infection it is supposed to cure. Perhaps it's just me, don't know.”

Feather October 2, 2019

“From day one on clarithromycin the taste in my mouth was vile. Other problems were horrific night terrors which one night gave me hallucinations! I started trying to stay wakened because I was so scared of falling asleep.Extreme anxiety and brain fog. I was constantly forgetting what I was saying and doing! Never again!! Still got the chest infection!”

Mungle8 October 24, 2015

“I was prescribed clarithromycin for my lungs infection and after taking this medication on my second day I started feeling better but on the fourth day I couldn't not believe how my breathing improved. The only side effect is the taste in my mouth in the morning but that is tolerable. I am so happy that is worked and that I feel better.”

Hy March 14, 2020

“Undeniably the taste in mouth is foul. I also had a few benign palpitations. However I had a major chest infection that meant I was coughing mucus almost constantly finding it hard to breathe. On Clarithromycin I started to recover within 3 days and I’m just super grateful that these antibiotics still work and I’m getting better.”

Paeony · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2019

“I was prescribed Clarithromycin for a chest infection and after only two days I started to feel very unwell with stomach cramps, diarrhoea, mild mental disturbance, and most frighteningly raised blood pressure and a very fast heartbeat with palpitations. I phoned for advice and was told to attend the city hospitals emergency department (I live in the uk incidentally). By the time I got there and was seen it was a while since my last dose and my symptoms were easing a little. The doctor seemed a little sceptical that they were caused by the clarithromycin but he was kind and prescribed me an alternative which worked well. I will never take this drug again and to make sure I don't forget the name I keep the box!”

Anny · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“I've taken this drug for a few years, for chest infections I'm asthmatic. When I take it for the first 2 days no side effects on the 3rd day omg! Awful taste in my mouth, then very weak and worrying laboured breathing! I woke up in the night thought my heart was stopping! I'm advising my g.p I'm never taken it again! I've read also that this drug can cause heart palps ! as the info suggests! No thanks awful toxic drug be careful!”

Kelz_1 November 5, 2016

“"I am taking Clarithromycin 500mg.I have had a chest infection for over two weeks with no improvement so my G.P prescribed me these antibiotics. Although I have felt better and my chest is not so bad I have been experiencing the side effects from this medication. I have been experiencing very bad dreams - lucid and frightening to the point I don't want to go to sleep at night. I also have an awful metallic taste in my mouth that makes everything I eat or drink taste horrid. I have been experiencing stomach discomfort - aching/pain in stomach with mild diarrhoea. The worst thing I have experienced so far is the racing heartbeat. I'm considering stopping these tablets as the side effects are far to worrying.”

Izz March 30, 2017

“Horrible!!!!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS!!! I can't stop vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain is unbearable. It feels like I ate a golf ball. Hot and cold flashes, shaking. My heart is racing so fast it feels like I am going to have a heart attack. Call the doctor, got the stupid answer ever, to keep vomiting but I have to take them since I'm allergic to penicillin!!!!! Are you serious???? I already took other antibiotics before this but this never happened . This is poison!!!!! How can they sell this?”

Joan chance, U.K. January 20, 2016

“Been given Clarithrimycin 500mg for chest infection. Been on meds 2 days. The after taste at the back of your mouth is extremely vile. I can taste it a few hours after taking it. It's that vile the taste wakes me up..I try to swish it away with water but it's still there. The last tablet I took was 10 hours ago the taste my mouth is still dreadful. Not sure whether this medication is helping as still coughing like a trooper. I was less anxious when I read on this thread that it wasn't me going crazy and others suffered from heart palpitations, shortness of breath, tight chest and anxiety (I can't break thoughts). Its a dreadful feeling, have to finish the course but will never be taking this med again- 5 more days to go :-/”

B.A · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

“The first day on clarithromycin for a URTI I was fine then after that I started with nausea, jittery feeling and a headache. The 3rd day I was going lightheaded a swell now on day 7 of 7 with 1 tablet to go I have all but given up as I feel awful. My chest infection has slightly cleared I think but the side effects are not worth it and won't use these again and hope the side effects don't last too long after finishing the course.”

Asthma-Sufferer September 10, 2017

“It seems this is a love/hate type of drug. I'm allergic or have severe side effects to many antibiotics. My guess is most people that do not have a problem with this antibiotic do not post. This is my antibiotic of choice. I do not get any of the side effects and never had anything but positive results over the years. Be reasonable - discuss it with your doctor and a pharmacist on what most patient responses are to this drug. Personally I've never asked because it works great for me.”

Mitza · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “The best antibiotic ever! Saved my life! Been sick with fever on & off , night sweating, nightmares, sore throat, headaches, green phlegm, etc for 3 months until I got Biaxin Bid 2x 500mg/ day. It saved my life! After 1st pill I was like new! I m on my 4th day I sleep soo good at night..like a baby..no symptoms at all..I feel like new! Thank you whoever invented these antibiotics! ❤️”

Utpoiaflower · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

“It actually took me 2 days to start taking Clarithromycin, I read the reviews and become terrified. I went back to the pharmacy to ask if they had capsule form or if I could break it up. I was advised no. They told that they have l'tiquid form but I had to contact the GP again. I just thought I can wait I need to psych myself. I bought some apple juice and psyched my self and did it. I felt so proud as I find it difficult swallowing big tablets. 1st day good I could breath, second day no side effects as such, third day sleeping problems, 4th day insomnia and anxiety, 5 day insomnia, extreme anxiety, vivid dreams, uncontrollable thoughts of soon, extreme sore throat that left me awake all night I'm now on 6th day, I was going to stop, as I don’t want a secondary infection, pharmacist told me to continue so on day 6. It has not been easy but the sore throat, insomnia and excessive anxiety are horrendous.”

jojoberry February 25, 2016

“This drug is really as toxic as they come! Not sure I would like to take them again. I had diarrhoea for the 1st 2 days and an awful taste in my mouth like shampoo with metal filings in it. I started to take acidophilus lactobacilus on day 2 and that sorted my stomach problem. The taste however was very difficult to mask. I found that chocolate of all things helped to keep it at bay for a good few hours. But feeling ill I didn't really feel like eating chocolate. On the whole is it now day 4 and I am starting to feel an improvement in my health. So something positive has come out of taking them. I had tried a course of regular Amoxcilin previously which didn't touch my illness.”

corsakay · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2014

“After the first set of antibiotics didn't work, I was given this type...3 days in, my cough has definitely improved but the metallic taste I constantly have is just horrible. Will continue with treatment just eating mints lots, but they don't really hide the taste.”

HaveNoNickname.ie December 24, 2016

“Prescribed this antibiotic 2 days ago and all its done is made me cough, vomit , phlem/mucus , mild diarrhea. I am sick of it already!!! I still have 5 days to go and I'm seriously considering throwing them is the bin! Horrible taste in my mouth too. I feel like it's making me worse not better! Horrible antibiotic!,”

Judy · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

“I was prescribed clarithromycin for a chest infection post COVID. Within hours of taking the first tablet I had extreme stomach pain, heartburn and diarrhoea. I figured I need to line my stomach next time and this helped a bit. Chest infection felt better by day 3 and while stomach side effects subsided a little they still continued every days I was taking the pills (7 days). These antibiotics made me feel worse than the chest infection! On day 4 I started getting an unpleasant taste in my mouth which 3 weeks later is still there.”

Julie Dickinson October 15, 2016

“This has to be one of the worst weeks of my life. Had a mild infection that wasn't too bad, but this drug is horrific. Taste in mouth and reflux so bad you don't want to sleep. Makes up stay awake until the early hours drinking sweet drinks to get rid of the taste and acid burning. I have every symptom going on the most common side affects. Vile taste on day one, day two severe acid reflux I have a hiatus hernia anyway), day 3 headache, day four dioreah. What's going to happen tomorrow. I can't sleep and I'm exhausted. Taste is appalling. Sad thing is I tried to explain it to my husband, and he kindly said, "just go to sleep, rest". I can't sleep!!!!!! I can't bear this and I have 2.5 days to go.”

backdown September 10, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “Every side effect listed was experienced by me to the point that I could not sleep. The horrid taste in my mouth, joint pain, backache, nausea, severe headache and urinary hesitation. Avoid this medication.”

Learn more about Upper Respiratory Tract Infection