User Reviews for Biaxin

Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

1 review 85 medications
Summary of Biaxin reviews 6.4 75 reviews

Reviews for Biaxin

For Bronchitis "After suffering what seemed like a never ending flu, I was put on Biaxin. I have always been sensitive to medications and suffered severe allergic reactions that put me in ER. So I have never been a fan of antibiotics and avoid them unless on the verge of death...which I definitely was this time around. Biaxin gave me a horrible, bitter taste that was constant and could Not be eliminated or masked by any food. I did religiously eat yogurt while taking it so I did not have any stomach upset. I noticed a steady improvement within 48 hours. The horrible, bitter taste lasted the entire 10 days, but nothing I couldn't put up with knowing I was improving and death was no longer imminent. My Specialist said I had a bacteria related to Legionnaires, so I pretty much owe my life to this antibiotic. It is now my "go- to" antibiotic if it is determined I need treatment for any bacterial infection. Biaxin pulled me thru and I am so thankful they made this medicine!"

Allergic to Everything (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2018

For Otitis Media "I did not have any problems taking Biaxin ! It worked really fast !"

Darla (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2018

For Sinusitis "I have had sinus surgery due to chronic sinus infections that would not relent. (turns out I had an abscess) After three different antibiotics the ENT finally cultured my sinuses and Biaxin was the big winner! It works for me every time and I can tell a difference within 12 hours of taking first dose. If you have chronic sinus infections, get an ENT."

Michelle May 4, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "The best antibiotic ever! Saved my life! Been sick with fever on & off , night sweating, nightmares, sore throat, headaches, green phlegm, etc for 3 months until I got Biaxin Bid 2x 500mg/ day. It saved my life! After 1st pill I was like new! I m on my 4th day I sleep soo good at night..like a baby..no symptoms at all..I feel like new! Thank you whoever invented these antibiotics! ❤️"

Mitza (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I have been sick with bronchitis for 2 months and previously have taken Amoxicillin & Levaqua. Both of those medications did not work. Within 3 days of being on Biaxin my infection has started to clear up"

Sadiemolly February 19, 2018

For Sinusitis "Since taking clarithromycin, I have lost 3 pounds in a single week and I struggle to regain weight. I'm already thin and this stuff has lasting effects which are undesired."

streible (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Bronchitis "Prescribed this drug several years ago. Shortly after taking it I went 5 nights without sleep and was subsequently hospitalized for a manic episode with delusions. It took months to recover from the depression that followed. I was on mood stabilizers for a year and a half post episode before gaining enough courage to ween off entirely. It has been a few years now that I am clean and clear of all medications. Mentally stable and back to working in emergency medicine. I have since stayed far away from the entire "myocin" family of antibiotics for fear that I am hypersensitive. Highly recommend staying away from this drug."

JRutabaga September 14, 2017

For Sinusitis "I used this twice and worked each time. However I used clav recently for swelling in my chin and while it the clav is bringing down the swelling. The sinusitis is coming back! I think I will need to go on a dose of biaxin after this clav."

Sinusitis King (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

For Bronchitis "I only have negative reviews for this drug. Avoid !!!! I started with a milder antibiotic finished the course but it relapsed with sinus & chest infection and so I was put on biaxin. My sinus took a month to go but the side effects I could not tolerate were - loss of sleep (NO SLEEP) , no appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling depressed and emotional outbursts. I'm a very happy person & always around people but this medicine made me go into a shell. It took a lot of effort of my friends & family to get me back to my normal state of mind."

Kox May 11, 2017

For Bronchitis "I had to leave a review for this medicine because I consider it to be a wonder drug. I am prone to bronchitis and I've tried everything: amoxicillin, augmentin, ampicillin, z-pack, omnicef, etc. Biaxin is the only--and I mean ONLY--drug that will work on my bronchitis. The worst side effect for me is hunger to the point where I feel like my stomach is eating itself, but I'll gladly temporarily put up with that rather than cough myself to death! This is an amazing medication--it gets the job done when nothing else will."

Liz2222 February 12, 2017

For Sinusitis "After being sick for a month and a half, after a useless round of Amoxclav, my doctor finally prescribed Biaxin and Prednidone for my sinus infection. Within a day I was able to breathe through my nose. My only complaint is the absolutely disgusting aftertaste...and the occasional upset stomach. I think the side effects are worth it as I finally feel good for the first time in weeks."

ElleMichelle999 February 5, 2017

For Strep Throat "Whenever I got sick from season flu or cold, I always had sore throat and cough, my Doctor will usually gave me this medicine (Biaxin) and I was told this a good medicine. It worked fast to clear your strep throat (Sore throat). A few hours after taking this medicine it made me feel better. I love Biaxin instead Amoxin or other medicines."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "Every side effect listed was experienced by me to the point that I could not sleep. The horrid taste in my mouth, joint pain, backache, nausea, severe headache and urinary hesitation. Avoid this medication."

backdown September 10, 2016

For Sinusitis "i always get sinusitis on a yearly basis. on my worst occasion, i tried 'em all from Zythromax to Ammoxicillian, etc. none worked for me. ONLY Biaxin works!! MD says its not the most recommended antibiotic for sinusitis but does work and is the only one that works for me. Yes ~ it does leave a metallic taste in my mouth, but i like knowing its in my system and attacking my problem so i don't mind the taste at all... i was also told it is a very old antibiotic, but its an "Oldie but Goodie"!! Some insurance will cover it while others will not."

golden years, phooey July 30, 2016

For Strep Throat "Obviously no antibiotic is going to be easy but this is tolerable. I am allergic to penicillin so I always get prescribed biaxin. It always clears up my infections, the only down side is the horrible bitter taste. My best advice besides chewing gum / mints in between is eat dark chocolate before & after - it actually does help subside the bitter taste! Also take the probiotic pearls with each dosage, it should help your stomach and prevent diarrhea. Eat as much yogurt as possible or drink Kefir milk -- kefir milk is the best probiotic you can take. It works wonders! You may get some minor headaches / stomach discomfort the first couple days, but let your body adjust and you should be fine. Its definitely tolerable, compared to other meds."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

"I have a very sensitive stomach, most antibiotics get me extremely sick. Biaxin is the only one I can take that doesn't completely destroy my stomach. The only side effect I get from this is a bad bitter taste in my mouth (usually about a half hour or so after taking it) and its obviously worse at night & in the morning. However, I rather have that taste then have the runs, nausea or vomiting. I also take probiotics with this - the best ones I can recommend are the "Integrative Probiotic Pearls" yeah they are a little pricey but they work well when taking antibiotics. (I got at pharmacy, and my pharmacist recommended these specific ones). *BEST ADVICE* Chew a lot of gum/mints in between dosages, you'll get used to the taste after a few days"

Anonymous June 1, 2016

For Bronchitis "I have been taking Biaxin for 3 days now and I dont know if my bronchitis is just completely horrible and its taking longer to work or if this just isnt for me? The taste it leaves in your mouth after taking it is horrendeous for about 12 hours. My stomach has been doing summer salts the entire 3 days so far and I think Im goin back to the Dr in the morning for another alternative. I cant sleep at all. Hate this stuff"

Anonymous May 26, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis "I was put on biaxin a couple days ago and though my tonsillitis has cleared up quite a bit I'm still noticeably sick, I get extreme headaches, dark urine, upset stomach, I've been able to get little to no sleep and I have no appetite. I can't walk without feeling like I have no centre of gravity, I constantly shake, and just today I started throwing up. It also leaves a bad metal taste is your mouth. I'm going to go see my doctor and try to get him to put me on another anti biotic cause this one has a lot of side affects, I was previously on biaxin xl and had no side affects with that."

Pl1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Strep Throat "Started taking this medication 3 days ago for strep, didn't even know I could still get strep after getting my tonsils out 15 years ago. I've been sick for just over a month and wasn't getting any better. I take absolutely no medications but I just couldn't take being sick anymore. The fever, chills, aches, are gone. Throat is still scratching if I talk to much, sinuses are still completely plugged and runny nose is still present. My Dr prescribed Biaxin for 10 days so fingers crossed this continues to work!"

capegirl86 April 10, 2016

For Sinusitis "I read a bunch of reviews from people who have mentioned having upset stomachs and yeast infections. I used to have those issues on antiobiotics, but then I learned that taking a very strong probiotic (I take the refrigerated ones from Jarro) and a feminine probiotic with lactobaccilus eliminates or at least greatly reduces those issues. I strongly recommend taking both whenever you take antiobiotics. For this one, I agree that you definitely need to take it with a reasonable amount of food. The metallic taste comes and goes but is generally tolerable. I do feel loopy, but I am guessing that has more to do with how sick I am than anything else. Hope this helps."

erky (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

For Bronchitis "I was prescribed Biaxin for bronchitis. I've taken three pills. I have an horrible taste in my mouth all the time along with severe dry mouth. My stomach is tossing and turning, making the loudest noises I've ever heard a stomach make! I haven't had problems with nausea/vomiting but the diarrhea from this is horrendous! On the second day of taking this I got this huge burst of energy and wanted to clean every inch of my house and rearrange each room! (sort of strange as I'm still coughing constantly and having a very hard time breathing) I'm also having trouble sleeping. I'm not sure that I will be taking anymore of these."

Amandafromtheblock April 6, 2016

For Otitis Media "I was put on Biaxin because of an inner ear infection. I'm on my fourth day of taking this medication. Sure there were some side effects but it worked. I couldn't hear out of my left ear for almost 3 weeks and on day four of taking this med I'm seeing results. The results outweigh the side effects that's for sure. I didn't think anything would work so I'm very pleased that Biaxin did!"

Harley1225 March 24, 2016

For Strep Throat "After taking one 500 mg. clarithromycin in about three hours became dizzy, uncomfortable in the head and short of breath. Am afraid to take another although it was prescribed one every 12 hours. Have spent most of the day with head reclined and eyes closed. Had same reaction to 500 mg.. of Azithromycin but could take 250 mg. with no problem. Shall I ask the doctor to prescribe a smaller dose. Am very fearful of another like this."

Mary Maxine December 17, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection "I have terrible anxiety and was very afraid to take biaxin because I'd never taken it before. I worry about crazy things like having an anaphylactic reaction to medications, throat swelling shut, not being able to breathe, hives ect. I was on a triple antibiotic treatment of Biaxin, Flagyl, and Prilosec twice a day with Protonix taken alone every morning. I always ate yogurt twice a day with the medication as well as a meal so I my stomach wouldn't hurt or be upset. I never took the medication without food as instructed so I never had any stomach problems at all. The only side effect I had was an odd taste in my mouth but it wasn't overwhelming or bothersome."

TrisKal July 11, 2015

For Sinusitis "the only medication cleared my sinus infection. i have been on it for a month and my dr wants me to continue for another 4 weeks. I have not experienced any of side effects so far."

noname1000 June 9, 2015