User Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

Also known as: Biaxin XL

Clarithromycin has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 41 ratings for the treatment of Skin or Soft Tissue Infection. 24% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 51% reported a negative effect.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

4.2/10 average rating

Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Skin or Soft Tissue Infection.

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Shattered · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

“Two 500mg pills a day prescribed for groin pains. Started out with nausea, metallic taste, and stomach pains. Day 2 I had palpitations. The fifth pill took the side effects to another level. I went to bed with a song playing in my head that wouldn’t stop. It was hard to sleep. Eventually I slept. Then the first nightmare came. Then came intrusive and dark thoughts. I couldn’t reason myself out of it. I woke my wife up and told her that I’d gone mad and could no longer trust myself. Then more sleep, more nightmares. The next day I thought that I might have died in the night and was now in some kind of afterlife. By the evening my mental state had improved a great deal now. I have never suffered from any kind of mental illness before btw. I quit on the advice of a pharmacist.”

Jilly · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

“I've had cellulitis 3 times as I've had it once I know I'm prone to it. Yes I get the bad taste but the tablets work. As long as the infection clears I will put up with any side effects rather than a red painful leg. All antibiotics have side effects but if you don't want to be suffering an illness then you take them”

Bun · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2020

“This medication clarithromycin is the worst, the side effect of the metallic taste in your mouth lasts for hours and days. (Takes like hairspray or something toxic in your mouth) Comes and goes but very often. I get stomach pains, nausea, diarrhea and really bad indigestion when eating food. Makes it really difficult to finish a meal. Feeling extremely ill, run down. Had bouts of insomnia and anxiety. I’ve had to be on this medication twice in the last month and honestly I’m guttered to be on it again. It really is like taking poison the side effects are horrible but I’m trying to push through it. Good luck if you’re prescribed this, I just want to cry.”

GCM · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I have had a terrible reaction to this drug which has resulted in 2 hospital stays and lingering side effects. I took the tablets as prescribed for 5 days. First 2 days no side effects. Day 3-4 chills and the start of a rash. Day 5 rushed to ER due to rashes all over and swelling of the eyes. These symptoms have now gone away but deep tissue itchiness continues. These symptoms sent us back to the ER where I was admitted and monitored for 5 days and released. Post hospital experience now 12 days later include extreme fatigue, rapid dropping of blood pressure making it difficult to stand and walk, back pain, no stamina or strength. Seeing a blood specialist next week for further diagnosis.”

Az · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2018

“I’ve been on this antibiotic for nearly a week and within the first couple days it cleared up most of my infection. This antibiotic is amazing and I think I’m the only one who actually enjoys the taste of it lmao”

charmdddd February 17, 2014

“I found this medicine to be a mistake for me. I had severe inflammation of my upper eyelid, swollen, red, and very uncomfortable, so the Dr. prescribed this hoping it would solve the problem. First day I took it, within two to three hours, I was immediately running for the bathroom. It made me very ill regardless of what I ate, I took an antacid, probiotics, ate carefully, ate more than usual when I took it, drank only water, etc. It gave me the worst stomach cramps I have ever had, made me so nauseous I had to call out of work, and I stayed put on my bed writhing in pain.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2020

“Got prescribed clarithromycin for a cut on my hand so that it doesn’t get infected. Worst antibiotic I’ve ever taken. The dose is 500mg twice a day and every time I take it I feel sick and get the worst headache. My stomach feels so heavy like there are rocks weighing me down. The first day I took it, my heart started beating really fast and I got so paranoid I couldn’t even sleep. I have general anxiety and this just made it x10 worse. These antibiotics are also huge so would not recommend to people who can't swallow tablets. Not to mention this disgusting metallic taste in my mouth all day!! Would not recommend! Would rather my hand get infected than feeling like this.”

Caa · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“I was prescribed clarithromycin 500 for a skin infection. I took my first one on Monday & felt fine but had extreme hunger pains. The next morning, I ate breakfast & had another pill. Within 10 minutes I had diarrhoea & spiked a fever. I returned to my GP who believed I had a stomach virus. I requested a new antibiotic. The next 2 days I had more diarrhoea, nausea, continuing fever & my heart was racing. On Friday I went to the hospital with dehydration & fever. My blood pressure was very high & my heart rate was 150. The gastric specialist took bloods, which were normal. I stayed overnight for fluids. I was then able to provide a stool sample that proved that clarithromycin had caused all of my symptoms. I saw a dermatologist who said that my skin infection had never required antibiotics. Because of the need for GPs to overprescribe I took a drug I didn’t need that has totally messed up my digestive system. Always question a GP to see if you actually need them. They should be saved for serious infections only.”

Shirty June 2, 2019

“OMG what a terrible antibiotic. I was prescribed clarithromycin five days ago for leg ulcer that is not healing right from the first tablet had a horrible metallic taste in my mouth which lasts 24/7 tried eating mints etc works at the time but doesn't last. I feel nauseous, cannot sleep, lost my appetite stomach upset. I have one more day to go and thank goodness I'm off them. I have persevered with this drug because I am desperate for this very painful leg ulcer to heal going to get some Actimel or probiotic yogurt to try to replace the good bacteria in my stomach I shall never take this antibiotic again nice to know that I am not the only one .”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2018

“I've already posted my foul experience on this brutal anti biotic..but want to add I drank fresh lemon juice in hot water and it helped the bad bitter taste that took 3 days after I'd stopped the clarythromycin to subside...hope it helps.. worth a try..”

Tasha · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2020

“So glad I found this site. Been on this drug for a couple days for an infected cyst. The headaches and nausea I can actually handle, but this horrible metallic taste in my mouth actually wakes me up from sleep and never goes away during the day. Someone above said it perfectly...it’s like someone sprayed hairspray in my mouth. Coming off it today and will never take it again.”

Simon · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

“Taking 250mg clarithromycin twice a day after 3 days I feel so ill like I have terrible flu I'm taking it for an infected toe felt fine before taking this, constant nausea and stomach pain, unable to eat food, can't sleep feel so weak and tired all the time this is horrible stuff!”

Gilly · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“Went to my Dr with heart rate of 160 and temp of 38.5.diagnosed with cellulitis.started take 500 mg for 7 days.days one and two heartbeat was going low normal and high throughout the day.im on day 3 now and heart rate is slowly calming down.had some dark urine but my skin is incredibly dry so I'm drinking.taste has not been bad.feel a bit woozy when I take 1 but it started clearing the leg on day 1.only have them till Sunday.i read reports and scared me to death but tbh will tolerate the side effects as the infection is clearing.everyone reacts differently to tablets but I'm a believer if it's working the side effects are worth it”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month July 20, 2019

“England. I was ill for a week or so. 2 days in I was prescribed clarithromycin. Never again will I take those tablets. They made my heart race, my chest hurt, I called 999 and a ambulance came and I was kept in overnight. I had many tests and follow up blood tests, I was told never to take them again. A piece of advice I will certainly take.”

Bon · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2018

“I was prescribed these for a false widow spider bite on my knee! I have a bad reaction to penicillin!! I’m on my last day. I do have that distinct taste in my mouth but that tells me it’s working. I’ve not had an upset stomach. I’m hoping it clears the infection on my knee. Still a bit itchy so unsure. What it also cleared though is my skin. It looks healthier and fresher and I’ve had these 3 little lumps on my cheek for must be over 2 years now and all the squeezing in the world was not moving them, they have now finally given in and disappeared so I’m buzzing. Lots came out for the size of them as they were tiny but they must have been deep in the tissue. Hope this helps.”

Wheels22 · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2015

“Was prescribed a weeks course to clear a skin abscess, have a penicillin allergy, and worked well, but side effects very noticeable - metallic taste in my mouth from day 2 and very painful stiff neck making it difficult to move my head while sleeping or turn my head while awake and up and about. Also had vivid disturbing dreams. No stomach upsets though...”

MissMalice · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

“I am allergic to penicillin so I always have to take Clarithromycin or Erthromycin or Doxycycline. I am on day 4 of 7 Clarithromycin and my infected insect bite has massively improved but the awful metallic taste keeps waking me up and stays all day every day that I take it. I am also nauseous and bloated, I have severe mental issues as it is and it’s making me more anxious. I’m also more exhausted than usual which considering I have Fibromyalgia is an achievement. I hate the side effects but I can’t argue that it works.”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2021

“I was recently prescribed Clarithromycin (500 mg) once a day and the first days taking it were alright. Then after a week of treatment, started intense migraines and back pain. I also felt like fainting and was sweating a lot. Last night, I was panicked as I could not sleep (was awake until 6 am), my heart started beating out of control and followed a panic attack with chills. I could barely breathe and was about to go to the A and E to get it checked out but I thankfully read the other reviews on this medication. Please think twice before taking this!! Moreover it didn't help my skin infection, so did more damage than repair.”

Jennijenre54 March 15, 2017

“Had this for a skin/ wound infection. Took 3 into the course and felt so awful had to ask for different ones. Dizzy, out of it/ woolly headed, nauseous, bad taste in mouth, everything tastes awful, farty and generally a horrible experience. It makes sense about feeling terrible due to it killing bacteria in the body but I never want to take it again.”

KayB · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2020

“I was prescribed Clarithromycin 12 weeks ago for cellulitis. Although it initially started to clear it soon came back with a vengeance. I am still taking the meds and have had 4 further flare ups where Dr has giving me metronidazole as well. As soon as I stop taking metronidazole, even though I am still on clarithromycin, the infection flares again. Back to Dr tomorrow with yet another flare up so I'm going to ask for a different antibiotic. The metallic taste is vile but would happily put up with that if the tablets worked.”

Lalons October 8, 2016

“I recently had surgery to remove pilonidal sinus and was prescribed Clarithromycin as my stitches opened and it became infected. I thought I was going crazy! First two days weren't too bad just the horrid taste and sick feeling then after 4 I had heart palpitations and stomach cramps. I have two days left I feel like I'm being poisoned it won't let me sleep my heart beats too fast and I'm short of breath! Also before I found this thread I spent a day crying and depressed I thought I'd gone mad and developed depression anxiety an eating disorder and insomnia over night thank god I'm not the only one! Also I've suffered from insomnia on and off for years so cheers give someone who struggles to sleep pills that keep you awake! never again!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2017

“I was put on clarithromycin for an infected abscess on my chin after not responding to minocycline or bactrim. I am officially off of it after 1 week. In the past week I developed severe acute anxiety that caused me to have a four hour panic attack (my first ever). Additionally, I have a history of bad acid reflux as a symptom of celiac, and this medication made it so that my reflux was so severe I literally could not eat. My throat felt like it was closing and I had trouble swallowing anything. All foods, even basics like bananas and chicken made me feel like I was going to die. Constant belching, pressure on chest, heartburn made me concerned of heart attack, then panic attack. Also had severe headaches. Did not work for me”

Caveman August 17, 2020

“I had a recurrence of stomach abscess a few weeks ago. Prescribed clarithromycin 500mg twice a day after first antibiotics didn’t work. Had a weeks course that certainly helped the abscess. Requested another weeks course as still felt slightly sore. Second course (different manufacturer) gave me the metallic taste and diarrhoea within a day or so. Also bloating/gas with chest pains so bad that I ended up getting an ECG to rule out heart attack. Had palpitations too. Stopped taking on day 6 as felt too rough. That was 3 days ago and still upset tummy. No diarrhoea but very gassy and some chest/back pain along with it. Feels like slowly getting better. Because of the stomach pains it’s hard to know if my abscess has gone as it’s the same area. This has caused me a lot of anxiety. If drug actually worked and the side effects are just temporary (and not serious) then I might take again but right now I don't this antibiotic. I might post another review in a weeks time and see how I am then.”

PaigeAlice January 13, 2018

“Although this medication did start clearing away the infection after my 3rd tablet I felt awful. Had to stop taking it as being sick and stomach cramps were awful. The taste in your mouth is unbearable to say the least and it just won’t budge, which isn’t helping with the sickness. My urine also smelt strange when on these. Will be going to the doctors for something else.”

Sunshine · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“On my 3rd clarithromycin tablet up to now for a very painful infected cyst in my mouth. After the first tablet I began to notice improvement just hours after. Seems to be working really well. Bad metallic taste in mouth and very unusual dreams and thought as I'm going to sleep. As somebody who loves dreaming though this is a bonus in a way, lol”

Learn more about Skin or Soft Tissue Infection