User Reviews for Alvesco

Alvesco has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings on Drugs.com. 58% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Asthma, Maintenance
7.7
Asthma
6.9
Summary of Alvesco reviews 7.4 26 reviews

Reviews for Alvesco

Elise · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2019

For Asthma: “After using Seretide for approx 20 years and gradually getting more severe symptoms, I have to say Alvesco has been amazing. I haven't had an attack since I commenced using it approx 6 months ago, and I haven't had a chest infection either. I have mild bronchiectasis and was taking antibiotics for an infection once per month. I haven't needed the meds either. Cannot rate this highly enough! 1 puffer seems to last 4 months so I think the extra cost is worth it.”

Chef Z November 20, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Got a sample from my doctor when diagnosed with asthma. Side note: I have depression and take Lexapro. Day one...felt depressed. Day two...more depressed. Day three...super depressed. Immediately stopped taking Alvesco but it took a couple of days to shake it off. In my opinion, be careful with this one if you have depression!!!”

Ms J · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

For Asthma: “I am a 77 yr old female and I personally wouldn't use this medication inhaler. It has a corticosteroid in it and over time my fear is it may contribute to bone fractures. Over time the corticosteroid puts holes in bones thus weakening the bones and increasing potential fractures.”

CherylG March 12, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Although my insurance does not consider this a "preferred" medication and therefore, I need to take on more of the cost, it is well worth the money. You cannot put a price on feeling healthy and being able to breath on a daily basis. This medication is a God send. If you are not satisfied with your breathing, I would definitely recommend you speak with your doctor about this inhaler. The bonus is you only have to remember to take it two times a day, morning and evening.”

Shellyscorner · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 25, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I've been on Alvesco longer than any of the many other steroid inhalers that I've used. In all the YEARS that I've been using it, I've never developed a thrush infection. ALL the others that I've ever used I would develop thrush fairly regularly. Even at the dose of 2 puffs twice daily, I've only developed thrush once with Alvesco. And as a maintenance med, it's worked great for me!”

MVE · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 12, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I’ve been using a different steroid inhaler for several years. My doctor changed my prescription to Alvesco. Even after the first use I noticed a difference in my asthma. I’ve had zero side effects and I’ve been using it for approximately a year.”

SunnyC · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Effective medication, but has terrible side effects. Despite rinsing my mouth out, I’ve had the most awful sore throat and jaw pain (hard to open mouth). Also, I’ve felt so lethargic and depressed. Very strange given my perky nature. It’s an okay medication to take short term, but I will not be taking it for months at a time like my doctor suggested.”

the_chemist June 25, 2011

For Asthma: “The best asthma medicine I have ever used (and I've used literally every one available). The side effects (slight light-headedness, mouth irritation) just went away within the first few days, apart from some sore muscles in the chest. All the dizziness, general muscle pain and slight fever I had on Pulmicort simply vanished, which is very nice. Moreover, my cough and mucus production has clearly gone down compared to Pulmicort.”

Betinafabel · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I'm 50 years old, female, live in Brazil and I' ve been using alvesco since the asthma diagnosis, in March 2014. It's controlled now, but I can't stop using it. I use 160mg every morning and since I don't stop alvesco, I'm asthma free. The only side effect I notice is my voice, a little lower than it used to be. But I want to learn to live without medication!”

Anonymous January 10, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance: “My 3-yr old had severe, rare behavioral side effects to all the other asthma controller meds; they changed him from a shy, sweet boy into an angry and aggressive one. With Alvesco he is a LOT more himself and only slightly angrier and energetic. I recommend trying this medicine to see if it works better for you, too. It has kept our child out of the hospital and we are thankful for that.”

Decomm18 August 26, 2015

For Asthma: “This is the best preventer I've taken in thirty years of suffering from asthma - I've had no attacks at all since starting it three months ago, and minimal side-effects. Hoarseness was always a huge problem for me with other inhaled steroids, so much so that I frequently stopped taking them, and instead relied on relievers to treat my allergic and exercise-induced asthma, until my attacks became so frequent that I had no choice but to go back onto steroid inhalers. However, Alvesco produces only minimal hoarseness, and despite being expensive (apparently. Living in Scotland, I get free prescriptions :-)) I'd recommend strongly to other sufferers who've had problems with steroid-induced hoarseness”

Asthmamummy October 18, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: “My son started this at 20 months old It kept his asthma completely under control all winter (virus induced) He has grown over half a foot in the past 9 months so it does not stop growth. I think that other lady's kid just hadn't hit puberty”

jim w · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 13, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: “My son began this drug at 13 and stopped growing around the same time. His endocrinologist wanted to give him growth hormone. I took him off this crap and his levels went to normal. do not take as a kid.”

Myopinion · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been having hives since I started taking Alvesco a few months ago. I was on a different inhaled corticosteroid for many years but it is no longer being made. I think I may be allergic to something in this medication. I will try to stop taking it to see if the hives and rashes stop. It seemed to help my asthma but I have had a slight cough also.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have exercise induced asthma. And if I used Alvesco a couple hours before a workout I never had to use my rescue inhaler. I have no unusual symptoms or side effects from Alvesco. Only down fall is it isn't covered by my insurance. Was able to swindle a 6 month supply of samples. But can afford the $300 a month price tag.”

cclifford01 January 28, 2010

For Asthma: “I say thank you 2 the company of Alvesco inhaler. Since using this my asthma attacks have become less frequent from getting admitted to hospital once a month, now only going in once every 5 months. My asthma is very chronic so I recommend Alvesco. THANK YOU. ”

wolflew May 29, 2010

For Asthma: “Did NOT work for me. Used it for 30 days. I was hoarse the whole time, and during the 25-30th day had developed thrush (which I got rid of by using salt water gargles). I've had asthma reaction to the historic pollen levels in Atlanta (2010) all through the pollen season (March through to the end of May).”

Gary · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Alvesco does reduce asthma, but this drug is not amazing. After a few months only side effects were headaches and vivid dreams of explosive sounds in my head like glass shattering while sleeping very odd. Other than that I’d recommend it.”

OLOPC · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2021

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been on Alvesco, 80mg, for a little over 2 years. I was forced to leave Qvar due to insurance coverage and a limited formulary. I loved Qvar except the thrush. Now, no thrush and great treatment for my moderate asthma. I am 60 years old and started on steroids way back with Azmacort (as a kid, they gave us Prednisone - with many side effects). I'd recommend Alvesco above other oral steroids, although I'm sure everyone's bodies will react differently. I've had no side effects that I know of. Currently, due to spring allergies, I am going to try the 160mg version of Alvesco.”

BJM · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 26, 2021

For Asthma: “Works well for asthma but sore throat is really aggravating. And it’s not refillable so every month, I have to purchase a plastic inhaler that goes straight to landfill. Where is the maker’s sense of environmental responsibility?”

musicgang October 30, 2011

For Asthma, Maintenance: “My Pulmonary Function Tests were the best they have been in 12 years since I switched from Advair Diskus to Alvesco. I feel SO much better.”

Little Light November 23, 2008

For Asthma, Maintenance: “This medication is wonderful! I can't use the other brands for my asthma because I'm lactose intolerant and Alvesco does not use lactose!”

Cyd1456 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 21, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance: “This medication worked for me with no insomnia or side effects, but unfortunately it is not considered one of the preferred inhalers by my insurance company anymore.”

Melalucci · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 6, 2016

For Asthma: “Works well but can't afford it.”

Alec · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 19, 2021

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I’ve tried all the steroid inhaler brands. This is the only one that controls my asthma without ruining my voice. So glad I persuaded my doctor to let me try it.”