User Reviews for Contrave to treat Weight Loss

Contrave has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 593 ratings for the treatment of Weight Loss. 49% of those users who reviewed Contrave reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Contrave Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Contrave

Yorkie2010 · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2021

“Was prescribed by my doctor. On the 2nd day, I informed my doctor of severe vomiting and diarrhea. Told to discontinue use. Symptoms still continued and got worse. Couldn't keep anything down. Ended up in the ER. Would not take this ever again.”

Cash23 June 18, 2021

“I am 5”3 at 167 lbs I started on June 2, 2021 I kept stepping on the scale Now on my 2nd week taking 2 pills a day. Just stepped on the scale and I am 2lbs down. I have been feeling full on just eating smaller portions or snacks. Still want a few cookies though lol. Now I haven’t changed my diet either, I’ve slowed up on junk but no major changes. I will finish a full 6 weeks, consistency is key right? Hopefully I can drop another 18lbs Update 6/17/21.. I am now on 3 pills and my first day was super harsh. I did great in the morning but the evening pill came with side effects. I felt super weak, hot, jittery and I threw up. I have had a chest pains about a few times, which didn’t last long. This evening wasn’t as bad just a little nausea. Anyways, I am now 161lbs at the beginning of the 3rd week, 6lbs lost. I started working out and am on my 3rd week as of yesterday. At home workouts noting major. Will update again.”

tcinthemitten · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2021

“I am on day 11. Age 50, female, 5'3" 175 lb. I have done nothing but push around the same 3 lb. I run a minimum of 3 miles per day on the elliptical at least 5-7 days a week, plus work out. I am not a crazy eater, I eat healthy, no soda, no fast food, no sweets, minimal dairy and carbs, I think my entire issue is menopausal, I struggle with drinking water, I know I do not drink the recommended amount. I also have a desk job and sit 8-10 hours a day, which is the reason I work out almost everyday, trying to keep everything working! I was hoping that Contrave would help with the weight. My doctor has only prescribed it as take 1 pill every morning. No instructions for increase. My body feels so tired and muscles are sore, some headaches, some issues with insomnia. Trouble concentrating at work. No energy. Does this get better? Has it even kicked in yet in less than 2 weeks? Feeling frustrated. Any tips?”

mkkmal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2021

“I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I am a 51 year old female. My doctor has seen me yoyo with weight and struggle at times with my type 2 diabetes. She seemed excited to offer me this prescription. I read some reviews and had some doubts but I trust her implicitly, so started the process. Honestly , I wanted to quit within the first couple months. Horrible nausea, terrible vomiting, and I hate vomiting. I persevered and am ecstatic with my results so far. I have been on this medication for 7 months and I have lost 57lbs. I don't count calories I listen to my body. I don't drink coffee any more. And I used to drink a lot! I don't even like alcohol. Changed my tastes for foods. I don't crave anything. I know it may be rough the first few months, but I recommend sticking it out. I can't even remember the last time I was this weight and size. I'm so emotionally happy. I wish you all the best, what do you have to lose? Hopefully weight. Lol”

Yeahboi October 3, 2020

“I wanted to try Contrave not really to lose weight, but because I felt hopelessly addicted to alcohol and opioids, and read that the med. In Contrave also blocks opioids and is an antidepressant. I take one pill each morning for about 3 weeks now. I am overweight also. I had pretty bad leg/foot twitches (at night) for the first week or so also very thirsty. The twitches felt like mild electrical shocks to the bottom of my foot, and kept me from sleeping well. Also, I started walking 3 miles a day and going up and down my stairs 25 times fairly quickly. I limit my food intake to ~ 1200 calories. I never was a big eater, but alcohol was adding 600-900 cals per day. I’ve stopped drinking and opioids, with no problem. I have tried them again, but they are no fun, and just more calories. I've lost 12 pounds in 3.5 weeks and I’m done with alcohol and drugs. I have a better outlook on life now. I hope this helps others.”

Caroline February 25, 2020

“I can't believe all of the negative reviews for this drug. I have been on Contrave for 4 weeks now. My appetite and cravings have been drastically reduced over the last two weeks in particular. So far, I have lost 10 lbs and I am absolutely thrilled! I still have 60 lbs to go but this is the first time in 10 years that I am very confident that I will get down to my goal weight. I had absolutely lost all hope and thought I would have to grow old as an obese person. I've tried every diet under the sun including Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Keto, Non-Carb, I even had a gastric bubble placed in my stomach to make me feel full but had to have it removed after one week due to severe cramps and nausea. We all know what we need to do to lose weight, but when you are addicted to food and crave snacks all day, I always failed after 2 weeks on any program because I was just so hungry!”

JerseyGirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2020

“I started at 153 lbs I’m 5’2, 3 weeks later after starting Contrave I’m now 144. The side effect symptoms weren’t as severe as others describe but I do feel a little loopy, occasional headaches, I haven’t upped my dosage to more than 2 a day because I haven’t found it necessary. I used to drink almost every day, it wasn’t only bad but it was keeping me from losing weight. I felt like I was losing control of the drinking and Contrave has absolutely almost eliminated all my drinking cravings I’m so thankful to God, ive only drank 3 times in 3 weeks and I must say DO NOT DRINK WHILE ON THIS PILL, don’t take it for at least 2 days before drinking. My food cravings are very much diminished and staying under 1000 calories has been easy. It’s gotten easier as time goes. It does make me sleep through the night which I love, but it does make me feel slightly loopy during the day. I highly recommend Contrave for weight loss and to stop drinking.”

Shellers · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 26, 2021

“I’ve been on this over 3 yrs. I lost about 56 lbs my first year. Then a few more over time after that. I started at 224. My lowest was 158. I maintain at about 162-165 and I am happy with that. I have kept the weight off I exercise. It’s been the best thing for me.”

Smiles · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 14, 2021

“Love love love!!! I started at 223lb. I am now 150!lb! Thanks to contrave and the hard work I put in. This is not a magic pill u do need to help yourself as well. I do recommend that you take a stool softener while taking contrave one the side effects is constipation. I took contrave for almost a year and 2 years later still keeping the weight off!”

amblynn · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 6, 2020

“I lost almost 75 pounds since I started contrave. My doctor actually prescribed bupropion and naltrexone separately so my insurance covered most of it. I don't know if this was all because of the pill but 1.5 years later and the weight is off. I didn't really change my eating habits, I still eat unhealthy, not going to lie to you guys, and never work out, so I feel like it had to be the pill. My doctor just took me off of it so I am going to start better habits to make sure the weight does not come back.”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

“Hi! I have just started my second round of Contrave. I used it about 3 years ago in conjunction with my regular weight lift routine and absolutely love the results! Over the course of about 10 months, I went from a size 16 dress to a size 10, I was able to fit in my old college T-shirts again, and ‘that special pair’ of jeans fit again. (You know...those jeans that fit just right in all the right places and make you feel like the hottest thing on earth. In the beginning there was some sleepiness and a little nausea, but speaking for myself it was worth it. I dropped 86 pounds of fat, gained muscle, and started enjoying clothes shopping again. The reason I stopped taking it was because I had to have several surgeries following a car wreck, but now I’m back on my feet and really to make up the progress I’d made.”

Ali · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

“I was on contrave for about 4 weeks when all of a sudden I had a seizure. Never in my life did I have one before, I am not an epileptic nor is anyone in my family. It was very odd as the doctor who prescribed the contrave told me there are no side effects! Doctors don’t know everything I learned the hard way. My drivers license was suspended right away and now it is taking months to get a neurologist to see me. Be careful if you plan to take this pill!!!”

Anonymous February 3, 2020

“Contrave was prescribed specifically for weight loss, but I have also been a moderately heavy drinker for about 10 years (3-6 beers per night, more on weekends). Was already on Bupriopion, so the Dr. prescribed Naltrexone in addition. One month in, I've lost 5 lbs, stopped snacking at night, and have almost completely lost all interest in drinking. Was sleeping more than usual at first. Mild nausea here and there. Excited to see where I'm at after a few more months of this.”

Jimy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2021

“I had the Gastric bypass in December of 01, I was a KFC biscuit short of 400Lbs. The lowest I became was around 240 and my weight fluctuate between that and 260. I was asked by my VA dietitian if I would like to try something to take off some additional weight. I was placed on the Contrave Medication. When I started (Sep 2020) I was 255. I weighed in this morning (NO JOKE) 225. I am actually the same weight I was at when I was Playing college ball in the midwest, to be honest If we did not have the stupid restrictions about going to a Gym (CA) I feel I can get down to my army wrestling weight of 220 . Normally a person will consume food when the body says " Oh That Looks good" Contrave allows me to keep on a steady eating regiment. I noticed that I can eat the things I like to eat, yet not have that binge button go off in my head. So!!! It worked for me, if you are disciplined enough IT will work for you! One Side effect! it will plug you up, so drink lots of water!”

Roxie · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“I have been on Contrave for 3 weeks. My first 2 days I was a little light headed but that did not last long. It has certainly curbed my appetite and slowed down my cravings. After 3 weeks on Contrave I have lost 20 pounds. I did cut out sugar and I am watching my carbs. I am getting my energy back. It is working great for me. I drink at least 4-5 bottles of water a day. No soda. No junk food. I am very pleased with my results.”

Lev January 9, 2020

“Had to beg my doctor into prescribing contrave. Had bad dry mouth at the beginning. It went away for a while, came back and then went away for good. I started at 170lbs and am down to 134lbs losing about 1 to 2 lbs a week. I have not craved carbs at all. My question for those taking this drug is has anyone experienced involuntary hand movement? I'm on my 3rd neurologist with no answers except stop the contrave. I've done research and haven't found this as a side effect. Can anyone share their experience and possible involuntary hand movement as a side effect of contrave.”

Lydia · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2020

“Started Contrave a week ago - 1 tablet in the morning. Only side affect was got a bit of a headache for the first two days, doubled my water consumption to approximately 4-5litres a day and no more headaches. Prior to Contrave I was addicted to all sweets, especially chocolate, drank sugary drinks, was a constant snacker and over eater. I do not crave these things anymore which feels amazing. Within a week I have more energy, feel better about myself and have gained the confidence to beat my food addictions. Week 2 starts tomorrow. My starting weight is 95kg with a BMI of 37. Haven’t weighed in yet, however, can feel a slight Duffy in the tightness of my clothes.”

Michelle January 5, 2021

“I have been struggling with weight loss since my hysterectomy. My starting weight was 168 and I am down to 160. I just started week 3 taking 2 pills in the Am and 1 pill in the pm. I really have not changed my diet. I do not crave sugar or carbs. I can just walk away from the donut. I can't report any side effects. I have not felt nausea or any of the listed side effects. I plan on adding more exercise. For me this pill works.”

Sony · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

“I started on Contrave about 2 weeks now. The first week on the one pill was fine and I was lucky because I had mild side effects like hot flashes. Now when I started on the 1:1 that night my heart felt like it wanted to come out of my chest. My heart was beating irregular and I started to panic. I have never suffered from High Blood Pressure and the one thing the online doctor mentioned to me before starting Contrave was to monitor my blood pressure. I immediately stopped taking the pills. The next day I went to CVS and my blood pressure was high, went back the following day and it was higher than the day before. So I am here about 4 days in and my blood pressure is still high. I pray that this medication is out of my system soon and I'll just have to work on my weight loss some other way.”

Edzy · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2020

“I started using Contrave 2 weeks ago , First day I was good , second day I felt a little suck third day I was googling the "best nausea pills " I was ready to give up, I had headaches felt very weak and didn't eat at all for the next 2 days I also was sleeping very light ( I'm a heavy sleeper) and woke up multiple times during the night. That was my first week. 2nd week I was afraid to take 2 pills but I must say 2nd week my body got use to the pills, I'm now coming into my third week. I feel fine. I lost 2 kgs already but it was mostly being sick and not eating. I do feel my appetite has lessened a lot. If you can get through the first week. Give it chance. Drink lots of water, exercise and eat a lot of small portion healthy meals and snacks our body still needs it's fuel:)”

JanaBell October 31, 2019

“Took Contrave and lost 30 pounds. Was nauseated at first but found that taking it with a non drowsy over the counter motion sick medication did the trick. I’m 5’9 and started at 180. Took 6 months to get down to 150. I would recommend it to anyone with sugar cravings.”

Jas · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 30, 2019

“I started Contrave back in February 2019. I have been taking it ever since. I did at first get bad headaches when I first started taking the full dose so I backed off and took the smaller dose a week longer which helped a ton. I eat smaller portions now since taking Contrave I do get full faster. My cravings are less but I do get them occasionally not bad though. I rarely snack. It's October now so I've been taking it over 8 months and I have lost 50lbs so far. I'm sure if I would stick to a strict diet and exercise it probably would have come off faster but my calorie intake is a lot less so it's coming off just fine for me. For me it's working great.”

Hey Jude May 29, 2020

“Day 1. 9am I took my first tablet with breakfast ( poached egg on toast) Felt great & went for a 6 k walk. At 1pm I was feeling very nauseous & also very spaced out. Spent 2 hours in bed . At 3.30 I got up & had some soup & felt fine . Day 2. I was very nervous about taking the tablet again so I contacted Doctor & she prescribed anti nausea meds . Took my tablet with beans & toast, drank plenty of water. It is now 2.3pm and I feel fine .. didn’t need to take anti nausea medication”

JL · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2021

“6 weeks into my Contrave journey and I am loving it. I have lost 10.2kg (22.4 lbs) so far and I feel amazing. I had mild side effects for the first 4 weeks - some dizziness and headaches (usually worse the day after increasing the dose) and constipation. All side effects ceased after week 4 but I do continue to take a stool softener every few days as precaution. Food cravings disappeared within a few hours of the first tablet and I am able to stick to a 1000 calorie diet eating 3 meals and a small snack each day. I have been exercising every day (cardio 4 times / week, yoga 3 - 4 times / week and walking 8000 - 10000 steps / day). Haven't drunk coffee since week 2 and barely drink alcohol as I don't feel like it and was worried about seizures. I think Contrave is amazing, I feel for the first time ever that losing 28kg will actually be achievable, and whats more I am already 10kg down... only 18kg more to go to put me from obese to a healthy weight range for my height.”

Shar · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2020

“So I’ve been on contrave for one week so far. I’m starting on two pills today. Since I started contrave I have noticed more energy. Sometimes I have a slight headache, but I don’t know if that’s because of allergy season or not. I have not had any nausea. I have noticed in the last three days that my appetite has decreased. My sugar cravings are also decreased and I’ve lost 3 lbs this week. I did paid cash for the first prescription. But I found out from Aetna, my medical insurance. That if I get a pre-op form filled out from my doctor then sent to my insurance company. A person with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or any heart condition. Then it would only end up costing me about $65. (Depending on the diagnosis.) Instead of $330. I called my insurance company to find out whether it was covered or not. The Dr was unaware and thought it was only a cash pay med. So my advice is to check with your insurance company. ”

Renee_J July 2, 2019

“I am in my mid-40s and am 5'5", 3.5 months ago I was 182 lbs (size 14). Today, I am 153 and still losing (size 10). That is a loss of 29 lbs in 3.5 months, thanks to Contrave. Long story short my Doc suggested I try it. Some annoying occasional symptoms came and passed (headaches, stomach aches, not getting into deep sleep) but the main ones are this weird stretching/shaking symptom and clenching my jaw while I sleep. Once I was on week 3 I think is when I really began to realize this was going to work. I had TOTALLY lost the desire to snack between meals. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still hungry for meals, I have not lost my appetite, BUT my craving for food outside my planned meals was GONE. And it still is. Fortunately I haven't had any emotional or psychological side effects like some have. I no longer snore or hide behind baggy clothes or run out of breath climbing stairs. Best of luck to you if you decide to try Contrave. I hope it works for you as well as it has for me!”

Panda71 · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2021

“I've just finished week 1 of this medication, and it works. It seems to of turned off the obsessive side of my brain. The 'I need MORE' feelings. I haven't wanted to binge, or overspend. I haven't had any side effects at all? I'll report back on the weight loss after 4 weeks, but at the moment the only negative is the $240 a box cost.”

LDLMom January 6, 2017

“I am a 34 year old mother of 3, and I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I've been on Contrave for 4 months and lost 29lbs. I started at 194 (I'm 5'7) and down to 165. This is nothing short of a miracle for me. It works completely differently than typical diet pills. It does not make me jittery or give me a rapid heart rate. It *somehow* allows me to say no to, or greatly limit my intake of, the foods I love. In general, my appetite is decreased by at least 70% and sweets (my kryptonite) are not something I have a compulsive need for anymore. It gives me slight headaches and nausea if I drink alcohol. I've heard it makes some very sick, but I haven't experienced this. I am SO glad took a chance on it. Life changing for me.”