User Reviews for Contrave to treat Weight Loss

Contrave Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Contrave

"Absolute waste of time and money! $300.00 a month and zero weight loss and unpleasant side effects, insomnia, constipation and flat line emotions. I am shocked that this is on the market as a weight loss drug, other friends who have taken it have had very short lived modest success."

Loopie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2019

"Summary: this medication does work, but the side effects are absolutely brutal. There is nothing I want to do less than eat. 5 hours after taking the medicine for the first time, I'm feeling extremely ill. I've gone from a healthy and productive individual to experiencing the worst lightheadedness of my life along with nausea, headaches, dizziness, and stomach aches. This is the first and last day I'll be taking this medication. I can barely stand for more than a minute before everything gets fuzzy and I feel lightheaded. I am confident that if I was at work, where I have to stand, I would have passed out within the first 10 minutes of my shift. Right now, I feel fully incapacitated and confined to bed until I can get this medication out of my system. I'll update here how long it takes to get the medication out of my system for anyone in the same boat. I'm 5'5 and 180lbs for reference."

Grace June 1, 2019

"I lost weight of 55 pounds (25kg) between May-October last year with the help of Contrave. I used 4 pills/day and had no notable side effects. After that, I moved down to 2 pills/day until end of December. But when moving to 2 pills, I immediately noticed the appetite suppressing effect wasn't as good and I gained weight of 10 pounds back by the end of the year. From January, I stopped the drug completely and what happened to me when I stopped Contrave completely - I have now gained back weight of 45 pounds of the 55 I lost. I started Contrave (4 pills/day) again in March but this time I don't feel the effect as good as earlier which is disappointing. As an advice to all of you, don't stop the full dose too early and make sure you know how to eat without gaining weight. And stick hard to the new eating habits after stopping Contrave, you don't want to start the same weight loss process over again..."

nico (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2019

"I am on my third week of Contrave. I started with one pill in the morning the first week, then added a 2nd pill in the evening the second week and now, in the 3rd week, I am taking 2 in the morning and 1 at night. The first two weeks I had some anxiety, but that went away in the 3rd week. Now I only have nausea, but its to the point where I really don’t want to eat. I started at 165 lbs and I am already down to 156 lbs. My goal is 130 lbs, which is what I weighted before I starting taking Zoloft which push my wight up, I gained 35 lbs in a year while I was on Zoloft. I couldn’t get enough food especially carbs. I tapered off my Zoloft so I could start taking this medication instead. My anxiety, other than a little at first, has not been a problem. I am hoping I can stay on Contrave until I reach my goal weight. It is expensive but the coupon helps."

Sunshinemom (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2019

"I started on Contrave in May 2018. I started out weighing 215 lbs. One year later, May 2019, I weigh 168 lbs. I have 13 more lbs to go to reach my goal. I play doubles tennis or bike ride 5 days a week. I am 72 years old and I now have so much more energy since losing the weight. I had no side effects and will take 4 tablets a day until I reach my goal. Once I get there, I will cut down the tablets to three a day, then 2 a day and then 1 a day to maintain. I know Contrave is quite expensive but since I was never successful with any other programs to lose weight I will pay the price. Once I get down to 1 a day, I will be happy and save lots of money."

Bo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2019

"I started taking Contrave December 2018. I went from 170lb to 150lb as of April 18th . I never feel hungry. The only time I know I need to eat is when my stomach is cramping. Only side effect was dry mouth and that has went away after 3rd month. I walked some during this time but if I would have followed the recommendation to walk more I'm sure I would have lost more."

Jen (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2019

"This medication Contrave has helped me shed the pounds and keep them off. Some side effects at first, but those went away after a few weeks. I was so desperate to stop overeating, and this finally helped me do it. No matter how hard I tried to "be good" before, I just couldn't seem to stop myself. Contrave was great for me."

Myrna M (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2019

"It was terrible. The doctor I received the medication from was completely unhelpful in assisting my needs. The medication wasn't helping my cravings and gave me severe headaches, diarrhea, nausea, and I began having really dark thoughts"

Tea (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

"I started taking Contrave on December 4, 2018 and by January 29, 2019. I was down 23 pounds. Since January 29th I have not lost any weight. Sadly, the medication only worked for the first 8 weeks. I am at week 18 and have lost nothing since week 8. I followed a 1200 calorie a day diet (yes...I went over calories periodically) and tracked everything using the Fitnesspal app on my phone. The medication basically helped me with cravings and aided in me staying within my 1200 calorie daily intake. But, after 8 weeks, the cravings came back and the weight loss came to a halt. I plan on discontinuing the medication at week 20. I was sticking with the medication because I read that it's normal to hit a plateau and then resume losing weight. Sadly, that hasn't happened for me. I'm happy with the 23 pounds that I lost. I'm hoping I can maintain the weight loss once I discontinue the medication."

Dee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

"I had to try Contrave after a very effective weight loss drug that I took previously but had to stop because of the price and I'm quite disappointed in the change to Contrave. Day 42 and I have not lost 1lb. Diarrhea was only a problem occasionally but once I increased to 2 tablets twice daily, the medicine completely messed with me emotionally and mentally. My husband said I was erratic, confused, shaky and a totally different person. After contacting my doctor and her learning that it's harming me more than helping, I'm on my last week of tapering off. I do not recommend this expensive drug for weight loss because the "success stories" that even their website discusses is laughable... 12lbs in 56 weeks?? No thanks. I'll stick with water, exercise and eating right."

No Results (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

"I have been on for 8 months - first 6 months were good - headache, dry mouth and ringing in my ears that never EVER goes away. As far as weight I’m down to 169lb from 185 lb so my weight is much lower, I still eat stuff I know I shouldn’t. Then I suffer stomach pain - it like teaching you a lesson on what not to eat. You will lose weight on it , you don’t have to exercise to lose weight it’s what goes in your mouth . Calories in calories out , makes sense you would lose if your eating less . Doubt anyone would be in it over a year with results like when you started"

Lasthope (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2019

"It works. Started taking on Feb 20. This morning I’m down 10 pounds. I followed instructions exactly, slowly working up to the 4 pills/day. No side effects other than constipation. This first ten pounds came off without any real effort. I’ve just stopped the emotional eating. I kept a log and I didn’t notice a difference until getting up to the full dose. Then, it really started working for me. My advice - a. Try it, b. Follow instructions exactly as prescribed, c. Be a little patient. I’m really happy and hopeful."

BigLoser (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

"I started taking this four days before Thanksgiving. By Thanksgiving day I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I was so sick I don't even know how to describe it. I guess if I was drained of all of my blood that would be it. This medication needs to have more research done on it. I feel like it's very dangerous. Anyone thinking of trying it, be sure to know there's gonna to be side effects."

Miggy March 29, 2019

"I started Contrave recommended by my specialist as I am 48 and have high blood pressure and after all the tests it is most likely from being over weight. My specialist is quite confident that my BP will lower if I loose weight. I have now been on Contrave for 6 weeks and I have lost 23 lbs. I have changed my eating habits to more healthy choices and portions and healthy snacks if I want one. I find that I do not need as much food and I do not miss the junk food and have no cravings. I did have some nausea when I went up to the 4 pills a day for about a week and took a childrens gravol to get me through. I also still have the constipation which I am taking a stool softener for help. It is a little pricey even with the discount from Contrave and wish it was more affordable but it is working and to me it is worth it not only to feel better about myself but to help with my health as well."

Losing lbs (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2019

"Don’t do it! I’ve got permanent damage from this drug! Horrible experience, I was nauseous and had bad headaches. I called my doctor and the pharmacist, they both said the symptoms would go away. After about 5 weeks I had enough and called my doctor in tears, he told me to wean off of the medicine. I felt like I lost a couple of months of my life while on it. I had swollen taste buds and gradually got tinnitus. That was almost 2 years ago, the tinnitus seems to be worsening and my sense of taste is not the same. It sucks!!! I’ve lost a lot more weight on Weight Watchers."

CD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2019

"I started Contrave on January 1st and after 3 weeks I wasn't sure it was working. I am now on week 7 taking the full dosage of 2 pills in the morning and 2 pills in the evening and I am glad to say I am down 11 pounds. At first I had every side effect listed until the 2nd week of the full dosage and everything just went away. I do have hungry pangs but don't feel I have to eat something, I will feel myself get sick so then I will eat but if I start to eat a lot I get nauseous and quickly push the plate away...Contrave is not a miracle pill, it will work just give it some time but it is up to you to have the will to lose the weight. ."

Mydaddy4eva February 23, 2019

"It has been almost 5 months . At first I was sick with headache and cotton mouth. I did not have a stamach ache unless I ate too much. Started at 184lb now 171lb I still eat and crave sugar which has been my downfall but meals are down for sure . Still have the headaches that can be brutal and memory fog , this I know is meds and one of the side effects listed. I found the 2 pills in am and 2 pills pm was too much so to alleviate side effects I take one at around 7 am - another around 10 am and one in evening about 6 . Helps a lot I get weird dreams but doesn’t bother me actually curious on what it will be next. I don’t think this is a good long term drug. If you go off it I think the weight will creep back and my insurance has paid for first 6 months then must be approved again - so expensive!! Good luck everyone"

My journey (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2019

"Week 3 heart racing, dry mouth, nervous. I decided to stop the meds."

AJ February 14, 2019

"DANGEROUS!!! ENDED UP IN EMERGENCY ON THE THIRD WEEK THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A STROKE!!! Although I do have to say I was less hungry.. "

J (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2019

"I've been on Contrave for 6 weeks and I'm down 17 pounds. The only side effect I'm still having is constipation. If you are looking for a medication to reduce "cravings" I highly recommend Contrave. You still have to put the work in. I'm a yogi so I still do my daily yoga practice, but I've also cut my calories down to 1200 a day and I'm able to stay within that range without being hungry - I attribute that to the Contrave because without the Contrave there's no way I would be able to just handle 1200 calories. I've tried it to eat this amount before and it never worked for me, but the Contrave is keeping me within my calories range. I love hearing success stories, so please do share."

Dee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

"CONTRAVE IS A MIRACLE! I am 18 years old and not obese nor have I ever been. I have always been overweight due to my PCOS and despite everything I’ve tried, always got stuck at about 190 (I’m 5’7). In December I decided I want to join the Air Force. In order to be accepted, I need to meet the weight requirement which for my height is between 121 and 159 pounds. My gynecologist prescribed contrave to hopefully help me reach my standard. I have just finished my first bottle of contrave and I am weighing in at 173lbs. I have till August of this year to reach my goal and with the help of contrave, I am confident that I will pass with flying colors!"

AFgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

"I just started Contrave on Friday 1/11. Still doing the one a day in the morning. So far I've lost 3 pounds. Slight nausea and headache. My appetite has decreased and nothing sounds good to eat. I am optimistic about this and looking forward to seeing where it goes."

jessmessin (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2019

"I was rushed to the emergency room after taking Contrave. I experienced heart palpitations, anxiousness, nervousness, mild stomach cramps, and nausea I was so sick I had to crawl to the door to have a neighbor take me to the hospital. This was not for me and hope that others don’t experience this reaction. I have never been this ill. I was administered medicine for nausea and given a shot that made me sleep drowsy."

BB (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

"I have been taking Contrave for 4 weeks and have lost 7 lbs. It has taken my cravings away. I take 2 pills at 6 am and I am not hungry until noon and when I do eat I eat 1/2 of what I use to eat because I feel so full. I eat healthy snacks but rarely want a snack. I eat a light dinner and take the other 2 pills at 6 pm. I cut out soda. I am drinking 80 oz of water daily. I do cardio 3 days a week and I walk a lot daily with my job. The only side effect I had as the first 2 weeks and I had insomnia. I had no other side effects."

Jean (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2019

"I am in the emergency room right now from taking this medicine. I had a reaction to it. I am experienced naseau, stomach ache, jittters, feeling of anxiousness. I regurgitated and my hands were shaking. Think twice before taking."

Demi (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2019