User Reviews for Bupivacaine liposome to treat Pain

Also known as: Exparel

Bupivacaine liposome has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 41 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 51% of those users who reviewed Bupivacaine liposome reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Bupivacaine liposome Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1312 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

51% 21
7% 3
5% 2
2% 1
34% 14

Reviews for Bupivacaine liposome

Mo February 24, 2021

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Had a tooth extracted, it didn’t do anything not a lick I was immediately in excruciating pain . So I basically just threw that money out the window.”

AsheMama · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I’m 27 years old with a high pain tolerance. I had a total robotic hysterectomy. Exparel was given prior to my surgery while I was still awake. The administration was *extremely* painful, I wanted to scream but I couldn’t because I was so doped out on fentanyl while they were injecting/ stapling my abdomen over and over! It was a nightmare. I woke up from surgery in awful pain. They knocked me out with some kind of medication several times because I was crying out. I still don’t have any feeling at all in my upper abdomen and it’s been 4 days. I would not say this medication is worth it.. it didn’t help at all.”

Rosie · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Given as a nerve block for breast reconstruction. Administration was very painful. After surgery it caused insomnia. I haven’t slept in 2 days! I have severe constipation. So far MOM, Miralax, Colace and suppository have not worked. No BM over 2 days! Arms and legs are shaky. I have had 5 previous surgeries and never was nauseous post op. I’ve been nauseous for 2 days. I am retaining water. I weigh 8 lbs more than normal. My pulse is 20 bpm faster than normal, it takes a long time for me to urinate, itching and crying for no reason. This med did not help with the pain at all. I’ve had to take hydrocodone for the pain. I’m angry that the anesthesiologist did not tell me the side effects first. This med has only made my post-op experience miserable. I would have been better off without it and it’s nasty side effects. I should have just taken hydrocodone post-op as I had in the past.”

Laura · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I was given Exparel as a nerve block for a Bunionectomy. This was a miracle drug for me. I could not feel my foot at all for 3 days and it didn’t fully wear off for a full 7 days. This is a very painful surgery and this medicine was a god send to get me over the worst days. I only had to take a few narcotic pills and was able to toss the rest. I highly recommend this medicine for this particular surgery!”

Matt November 3, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Was given post hemorrhoidectomy. Wore off within 2 hours. Not worth it. I understand not all cases are the same but this was ridiculous!”

Rosie · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

“Exparel given with dental implant. Nearly pain-free 2 immediate nights/days postoperative. Merely discomfort and numbness. Highly recommend, especially if it will decrease opioid use. Highly recommend.”

Kelly · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I was given 266 mg injection during foot surgery to provide up to 96 hrs of pain relief. I was unprepared for it to only last 18 hrs. To say it was a disappointment is an understatement. I woke at 4 am in terrible pain that took hours to control using opioids that I’d hoped to delay, if not avoid. I will say it worked well for the initial 18 hrs though.”

PLC · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I was told Exparel last 72 hours, I have aid $450 for “a big bottle” and found it worn off after 12 hours. I was in excruciating pain after.”

Alice · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I had Exparel following laparoscopic surgery and had a lot of anxiety about post surgical pain. I have had no pain and it is almost 24 hours! Amazing! I have to have another surgery in 4 weeks and will definitely ask for it for pain relief. Now I will be more confident going into surgery knowing that I won’t be in so much pain.”

Danny · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “This Exparel was given as a post tooth extraction pain injection, in upper region. It has caused permanent burning and stinging skin, pins and needles and a horrendous rash...all permanent. This drug should be banned!”

Andrew July 21, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Had rotator cuff surgery 4 days ago, was given Exparel. Almost no post-surgical pain. Amazing. Given a small prescription of opiate that I not needed at all. Very pleased.”

Pilonidal Cyst · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I was given Exparel after a Pilonidal cyst removal and lift procedure. It has worked great. I only took one opioid pain pill just in case the first night of sleep. I did not even need it. I never took another and had absolutely no pain. Although it’s 7 days since surgery I am still numb. It has worn off some but still think I’m about 50 percent numb. Hope it eventually wears off.”

Flygirlzw · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I was told the Exparel nerve block would last between 3 & 5 days after major left shoulder surgery to fix multiple issues. I got 12 hours of relief. I’ve had sympathetically mediated pain of my upper left side for over 13 years & it’s well known that failed blocks are a part of the confirmation of sympathetically mediated pain. I’ve had multiple nerve blocks over the years, all have failed, some before I even got home, so why a doctor would think Exparel would be any different is beyond me. So if you’ve already had several failed nerve blocks don’t waste your time or money trying this one. I didn’t like the “dead” arm side effect. Literally my arm just hung there, dead, no feeling except extreme tingling in my fingers for the first few hours. Frankly I think it’s potentially incredibly dangerous to have NO feeling or the ability to move my arm. I was quite happy it wore off so quickly.”

WayneInIndy · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I have had two back surgeries. The 1st one (for a left leg issue) I did not get Exparel and the after pain was terrible. I could barely get my clothes on and off for almost 4 weeks. The 2nd operation (for the right leg issue) was virtually an identical procedure on the right side, but I was given an Exparel injection (only one). It was a night and day difference. I had very little pain and felt pretty normal after just one week. Great stuff.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Exparel was a huge blessing for me when I had hemorrhoidectomy and also helped with the pain of my spinal cord stimulator explant. For the explant they used it in the outer areas of the surgery not in the spinal cord area but for the outer parts of the incisions. Pain control was so much better with Exparel vs. without it. I never want to ever have any surgery without having Exparel. I did require some opioid pain relief but thoroughly believe that if I had not had the Exparel the pain from both surgeries would have been much worse requiring much more opioid medication. I think the healing actually went quicker for me because I didn't come out of surgery in extreme pain and felt like moving other parts of my body sooner which I think brought better blood circulation to the surgical sites.”

KJSA · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “My teenage twins had their deeply impacted wisdom teeth removed 3 days ago and today is the first day one of them felt pain. Their mouths were extremely numb for about 8 hours after surgery and they had a hard time drinking because they couldn’t feel their lips or tongue. Exparel definitely worked and kept them out of pain so I recommend it for wisdom teeth removal.(They also are taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. They’re big boys)”

Sfix · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “We decided to pay the extra $200 for Exparel for my son's wisdom teeth removal. He had 4 teeth removed. We are on day two and he does not have any pain. My husband and I both had terrible pain with our wisdom teeth removals so we took the chance on Exparel. Not sure if he is in no pain because of the Exparel but it makes us feel better that maybe the $200 was worth it.”

Jesse · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Was given an injection of Exparel 3 weeks ago to put a drain in my mouth after oral surgery. That area of my mouth is still numb along with 3 teeth. I hope it wears off at some point.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2019

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Was given Exparel during implant oral surgery. NEVER had any pain. For Oral Surgery would recommend always.”

Melissa · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “I was given this drug Exparel for post-surgical pain for a pelvic reconstruction. It did not work. At all. I woke up in so much pain I couldn't breathe and thought I would have a heart attack waiting for the morphine to kick in. Please don't let them talk you into this, it is a useless drug that won't help you.”

Concerned Dad · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “My son received an injection of this product after 4 wisdom teeth were removed. It did very little for the pain after about 4 hours and he needed to take the narcotics that we were trying to avoid in the first place as his pain suddenly became very severe. I wish we had just toughed it out with ibuprofen and Tylenol. Exparel is a waste of money and not very useful after tooth extractions. Don't waste your time if it is offered.”

Ken · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2019

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “i was in the post op recovery room after having olecranon fracture reconstructive surgery and was having trouble managing the pain. They recommended the Exparel one time injection which under the circumstances I readily agreed to. It was administered in the upper pectoral/left shoulder region. I was told that the pain relief would last two days. It relieved the pain, but for only 6 hours.”

DelilahH · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

“What a nightmare! I was injected this drug (without being instructed before hand on the horrendous possible side-effects). My mouth was completely numb for 3 days, but 2 weeks later, there is a numbness through my entire body; especially my face and neck. This is a money maker drug for doctors. But they don’t tell you that the side effects can be permanent. This should not be on the market! They should have a black box warning! Do not take this drug!”

mdb1968 · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

“I just had ankle surgery: to remove bone spurs and fix tears in my Achilles tendon. My surgery was on Wednesday and now it is Monday and I'm still feeling some of the effects of the Exparel block. Granted, I had a total of 3 different nerve block sites. Wonderful medicine. All I'm having to take is Tylenol. I highly recommend the nerve block medicine.”

Minina · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

Exparel (bupivacaine liposome): “Exparel is complete joke for pain! I threw away $370 which is out of pocket for an injection that didn't work at all. I went through a complex hemorrhoidectomy, perhaps the most painful post surgery that exist and was sold on this miracle med that would provide 48-72 hrs of no pain. As someone who has horrible side effects to opioids, didn't think twice about going with it. Frankly, this practice should not be allowed if not enough studies have been done on specific surgeries. I really think its a big business between Pacira, the pharmaceutical company, and the hospital/doctors. I feel cheated and regret not having enough time to do more research. 48-72 hrs no pain? Really? The post surgery relief was the same as when anesthesia wears off. In summary I do not recommend Exparel please do not fall for false advertisement.”