User Reviews for Bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline

Also known as: Pylera

Helicobacter Pylori Infection
6.1

Summary of Bismuth subcitrate potassium/metronidazole/tetracycline reviews 6.1 136 reviews

Reviews for Bismuth subcitrate potassium/metronidazole/tetracycline

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I’ve had stomach pains off and on for a few years. Just recently I went to a new gastro which ran some tests that included blood work and stool sample along with a abdominal ultrasound. Everything came back fine except I tested positive for H pylori. I was prescribed 10 day pylera along with omeprazole. Besides having dark stool it was going smooth for the first couple of days but on day 6 is when all hell started braking loose. I began having sharp abdominal pains, dizziness, nausea and I was very tired. The only thing that helped was eating, as soon as I ate my pains and symptoms went away temporarily. Two and a half more days to go and I’m done. Hopefully I won’t have to go through this again."

Edm August 7, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I have been taking pylera for 3 days today I am not taking it anymore. The side effects are horrible I know the medicine is suppose to get rid of the H. Pylori but if I already feel bad throughout the day why would I want to take something that makes me feel worse. Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, black stools!!"

Dread (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "just started taking pylera today 7/6 hopefully I will go through without any side effects."

oak July 6, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am 28 and going to lap band procedure next month. I was tested positive for HPylori so I was prescribed Pylera and was terrified reading all the reviews. I am now on day 4 and I have to say I have none of the side effects I have read about on forums. I can say the only thing I have experienced is the metal taste in my mouth/dry mouth and slight acid reflux which is tolerable. My stool is fairly normal (just a bit darker), no headaches, no nausea ..etc. I still follow the nutritionists orders, take my protein shakes in the morning with it but have cut out my vitamins until I finish this medication. FYI: You will still pay a large amount for this med, even with insurance. I fortunately have a really good insurance holder (Oxford) and still had to come out of pocket $100 for these pills."

Nikki422013 June 22, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Last day on Pylera and I am happy for this to be over. Overall, not bad at all. Diarrhea the first few days followed by odd smelling black bowel movements 3 times a day, everyday. Weird taste in my mouth off and on. Today, I will say I am exhausted. I work a physically demanding job outdoors and of course the heat was high all week but I was able to push through it...not bad at all, honestly."

Earbuds (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "My experience with Pylera was bad. I took it for 10 days and I had all side effects, the worst was 8 day when I had tremor all night because I took pills at bedtime without any food, so I decided eat with it as it is very important. After 10 days when already finished my treatment I still have abdominal pain and understand l should take still omeprazole and see my doctor again because I can eat just baked pumpkin - only this one product doesn’t give me pain. By the way I started my treatment when I was in good condition I didn’t have any pain. Just 2 month earlier my doctor checked me as I had occasionally acid at stomach and he found H pylori. He gave me pills and said to do treatment when I when I can. I am a little upset because now I feel worse when before, hope it temporarily..."

Zoia (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Hi I am 34 and never had vision problems until taking Pylera for about 8 days. Please don't take this medication because it is causing me to go blind in both eyes. Now my vision is very blurry I can't see anything with clarity. At first I thought it was a temporary side effect until each and every day my vision got worse now it's even worse from then..I can't deal being with out my vision"

Phil hines May 12, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I can honestly say I was scared to start my regimen of Pylera and Omeprazole since I’m very sensitive to medication. The only side effects I had was dark stool, metallic taste and dizziness. I started out every morning taking Ginger capsules for the dizziness and probiotics for my gut, I also ate before each dose of Pylera and drank plenty of water. It was a little intimidating to see the box of antibiotics before I started, but I did it!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I'm on day 5 of pylera. I had dark loose stools for the first 2 days and a nasty headache the 3rd. All that is gone now I'm just extremely tired! Been napping 2 hrs a day and I couldn't stay awake to take my last dose so I had to wake up and take it. I've been taking a strong probiotic with it and drinking 4-5 cups of tea a day (green, black, peppermint, ginger) Staying away from gluten too. Good luck everyone! I've had this infection since 2008. Was on other meds then but I guess I've had it and it never went away. I was deathly sick for a month dropped under 100lbs and 6 emergency visits all because of this nasty infection. praying this finally makes it go away!"

Biff (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I just finished my 10 day treatment last Thursday 4/12/18. I was very skeptical after reading all the bad reviews on this medication but I do have to say that for me the only side effect I had was a headache from the day I started until the day after I stopped, other than that nothing. I have a high tolerance to meds so I hope this works for me so I can go ahead with surgery. I go back the 3rd week of May for my breath test."

Jazzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "After day 7 my shoulder and leg joints hurt. I can handle bad taste but this exhaustion is bad. I want to stop taking it - it so frustrated. Calling dr in morning"

Tired (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Today is my last day taking 14 pills a day (WooHoo!!) and I wish I would have found this post sooner, it's calming to see I'm not alone in all of these side effects. End of Day 1-10: dark/brownish colored urine (really freaked me out!) Day 2-10: metallic taste Day 3: slight headache Day 4: slight headache, decreased appetite Day 5: decreased appetite Day 6: decreased appetite, dark stool Day 7: fatigue, dark stool Day 8: Intense headache, fatigue, black stool Day 9: Peripheral neuropathy left leg and foot (again freaked out!), extreme fatigue, black stool Day 10: Numb toes left foot, EXTREME fatigue, black stool Mucusy off and on throughout (running nose, phlegm, light vaginal discharge)"

CeCe (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Am on day 5 of the 10 day regimen. I've had H Pylori for over 3 yrs now. Tried prev pack and other therapies, didn't work. On the meds, some of the symptoms others were having, though no throwing up. Mainly feeling very tired and nauseated. Am a gym rat, so I just haven't been able to lift and use the Stairmaster as in prior to the treatment. But still manage 1.5hrs of gym time daily at reduced intensity. Bloating has significantly reduced since I started the meds. sleepiness, though I manage like 5.5 to 6.5hrs per night. No issues of insomnia. I think the key is eating each time b4 the med, then drinking lots of water. My side effects reduced with drinking lots of water after each dose. I really pray this works. I was asking the doctor for back to back 10-day regimen, but he said not advisable. Good luck y'all!!"

PC (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Took Pylera for 10 days and the only side effect I had was dark stools. Finished it yesterday and feel 100% better. I drank nothing but water, and ate a lot of fruits and veggies and avoided anything with saturated fat. I ate good and took the 3 pills 4 times a day with food. I think the key for me was prayer, trusting the Lord, lots of healthy food, nothing but water, and some carrot juice. Did feel like I was mentally in a bit of a fog the 1st 3 days, and legs felt a little unsteady, but those went away. I too was hesitant to take it based on a lot of reviews where folks had a bunch of bad side effects but am so thankful I did. It worked and I know it will for you too. Pray away side effects and hang in there folks. You’ll be glad you did!"

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I was given Pylera after being diagnosed with H Pylori. I am a very active and healthy 41 yr old male. I'm 5'7" and 150lbs. I will tell everyone that this medicine is TOUGH! All the way around. I'm on Day 6 of a 14 day regiment. I constantly have a metallic taste in my mouth, a slight headache and severe nausea. I started the Pylera Saturday and have thrown up most every day and sometimes multiple times a day. I tried working on the meds but I find it VERY difficult. I've had to use vacation days while on this medicine. I just physically cannot do it with the extreme fatigue and nausea/vomiting that I'm experiencing. I also have dark stools and diarrhea at times. My urine is also dark. My Dr did call in Zofran 4mg for nausea on Day 4. The Zofran has helped. But I will say that my girlfriend says that I'm acting more like myself despite the severe side effects. It's like I'm being poisoned is the best way I personally can describe Pylera. Good luck to all."

Steward2920 (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Day 5 I am exhausted, lots of dark lose stools, dark urine dizziness, nauseated and headaches. Starting getting the chills this morning. I'm contemplating whether to stop this medication all together. This is my second treatment (different course of antibiotic') treatment . Omg.. Help..."

E.N February 14, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "This is day 10 for me and I made it. Based on bad reviews I was refusing to take this medication for nearly a month, I was terrified to start taking them. But my doctor said I have to take them. Well the only side effect I had was dark stools and that's it. No dizziness, no stomach pains, no black tongue, no dark urine a bit of tiredness in the evenings but nothing dramatic. I was strict with the times of taking them. 6 30am 11 30am 17 00pm 21 30pm. Always with meals. Well rice. pasta. bread. avocado. bananas. egg. Any other fruits. No sauces at all. 3 to 4 L of water every day. I believe food and water made the difference on not having side effects."

E.f January 26, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Talk about a medicine with side effects. I tried prevpac which failed to eradicate h pylori so here I am. Before I start, remember not everyone's body reacts the same to medicine. Some are sensitive to these medicines while others are not. First day of medicine no side effects. Second day I started with a really bad headache. Third day headache, fourth day nausea and very tired. 5th day, aches, pains, nausea and weak. Rest of the days very nauseated, my blood pressure dropped and was very light headed, and shaky. Tried to sleep as much as I could. I am on day 8, and CANNOT wait for this to be over. Praying it works because I don't think I can go through it again"

Morgmorg January 22, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "This is a very dangerous drug. I now have weakness in my arms and legs and it's been five days since I finished my last dose. I felt a slight weakening in the legs on the last day but still completed the course. It then progressed to heaviness, so bad that I can't barely lift my arms or go up the stairs. Now I realized that peripheral neuropathy is a side effect. I just hope and pray that this is reversible. I am writing this to warn others. The sad part is I didn't feel any side effect until after the last dose. Wish I had been more diligent. Please be careful."

Vee0620 January 17, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I'm currently on day 4 of a 20 day regime. Drinking plenty of water and getting plenty of rest has helped counter the side effects of this medicine. By day 2, I was exhausted. I slept majority of the day and night and did not understand that it was because of the medicine until I began reading reviews. Day 3 I experienced headaches through out the day. I have also experienced extreme moodiness, dark stools, & an after taste in my mouth since beginning the medicine. This is my 2nd treatment and I'm optimistic because I would not want to go thru this again. I'm not sure how my next couple of weeks at work will be. I have stopped taking my multivitamins so that the antibiotic won't have any interference so my energy levels are low."

Rashonda January 15, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am a 58 year old female that was VERY SCARED after reading the reviews, I was just afraid of taking 140 pills in 10 days, once I read the package again and it said blister capsules I became more comfortable however, I waited until I came back from Christmas vacation to start my pill taking because of the reviews, I didn't have any side effects except my stool was very black, I drank plenty of water. But I am finish I had a "FINISHED UP TAKING PLYERA PARTY." Next follow up appointment is Feb. Hope this help someone out."

Cornbread245 January 9, 2018

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I was expecting the worse when I read the reviews here , I even threw away my original prescription due to the reviews here. But symptoms (fatigue for the last 4-5 years years, lack of appetite, and occasional nausea ) were getting to severe to ignore so I had to bite the bullet and just go for it. As it turns out, this experience wasn’t nearly as bad as reviews here. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest level of discomfort, I’d give this drug a 4. I had some diarhea, weakness, and moments of nausea. But I never came close to throwing up. I’m not going to say it was easy, but it wasn’t all that bad either. It wasn't anything remotely close to the nightmare scenarios I saw written here. Maybe I’m just lucky?"

Arrowstar55 December 26, 2017

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I can’t believe I made it, 10 days under that horrible antibiotic. I hope it really works, after 7 days of taking those bunch of pills, everything got better, most of the symptoms were gone. After that I am taking vitamins, B complex and probiotics. Be strong "

Laurita5 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2017

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "This is a horrible drug. On day two I experienced severe nausea, dizziness, mood swings and random bursts of crying, abdominal pain, heart palpitations, dark urine and dark stool, and felt so weak I could barely stand. This medication has pretty severe side effects. Not everyone will have them, but I did, and couldn't tolerate it. had to stop immediately"

1nat101 December 23, 2017

Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Doctor prescribed 14 days, I stopped at 10 days because I hate what this medication did to me. You treat one thing and 10 other things pop up. Mood swings, unusual stools, constant pressure in head, abdominal pain, liver pain (I have liver damage), weight gain."

HatesMedicine (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017