User Reviews for Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide to treat HIV Infection (Page 2)

Also known as: Biktarvy

Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 118 ratings for the treatment of HIV Infection. 57% of those users who reviewed Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 121 medications used in the treatment of HIV Infection.

Reviews for Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide

Stuart · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I have been HIV+ for 15 years, on Medicare for 10 years. I started with Truvada and Isentress. My doctor switched me to Descovy and Isentress because it was less harmful to liver and kidneys. My new doctor wanted me to switch to Biktarvy. My counts have stayed fine. I have been on it for 1 1/2 months. Nobody has mentioned this, but these two things are driving me crazy. I am experiencing terrible ear and sinus pressure. Caffeine seems to make it worse. Also my feet are either freezing or they are burning up. My doctor says it has nothing to do with the Biktarvy. I didn’t have it before. Plus, now my kidney functions seem to be declining. Up until now, I have done incredibly well. I guess I am an anomaly.... I would like to switch back to Descovy and Isentress to see if these things go away....My doctor is resistant. So frustrated....”

WDC · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Diagnosed HIV+ on 2016 and went on Stribild with zero side effects. I started to read on different forums Stribild was having long term negative effect on liver, kidney and bone health. I asked to go on Biktarvy. Currently undetectable, but CD4 dropped from 1077 to 920 (still good though). However, I'm ALWAYS tired now. If I'm not in bed by 11 I'm annoyed, really weird mood swings and the most ridiculous far fetched dreams that I've actually been able to control while I'm sleeping. I wake up and feel like I haven't slept because of the non stop hyperactive dreams. I've also woken up just crying. Once a week I feel like I have the flu too. Kinda want to go back to Stribild...dunno what to do...”

D1996 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 25, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I'm positive since February 2018, was just twenty one at the time. I have been taking Biktarrvy about a year and a half now. They changed me over from Stribild, I think it was for financial reasons they never explained why. The main thing with my experience with HIV is the fatigue. I used to be so much stronger and active. My wrists feel brittle. If I do a few push ups & my chest feels like it's going to cave in. I spend at least the first half hour if every morning blowing my nose and coughing up mucus. That being said I'm glad I'm still here thanks to big pharma. It's sad that HIV wasn't sorted out years ago, before I was even born. I just hope people with HIV use their heads and don't pass it on to others. And medical institutions use their heads to rid of it completely.”

Rob · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Biktarvy is great, I have been positive since 2013 and started on Stribild in April 2013. Stribild got me undetectable and I switched to Genvoya once it came on the market. I then switched to Biktarvy once that one came on the market and I have been undetectable ever since I started with my drug therapy. I haven't had any side effects except for loose stool but that is something I can deal with. Hope that helps.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “The first month on Biktarvy seemed ok but after a month it gave me severe spasms and pain on my calves. The pain was 24 hours a day. Then after 4 months it gave me neck pain and this is when my doc switched my Meds back. Biktarvy also raised my cholesterol. It also gave me lipodystrophy in my legs and arms which is depressing..”

Its my life · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I have noticed extreeme fatigue, mood swings, nightmares that have affected my day to day living. I was changed to this treatment because of the lower reported side effects shown in clinical trials in relation to Mental Health and Biktarvy. I have extreme mood swings, chronic fatigue, sweating, diarrhea, muscle pains, mental blocks, memory problems and stomach / acid reflux, urinating excessively, difficulties with libido involuntary body movements and night sweats/ mares. This is my 5th HAARRT regime since 2010 (diagnosed in 2002), I have been told this is the newest and best drug to treat the virus with less side effects (significantly less reported mental health problems with this drug). It has not been as problematic as previous regimes which included Atripla, Truvada, Nervirapine etc however, as with all HAARRT treatments side effects are expected. I have suffered extreme side effects from all HAARRT treatments which has been physically and mentally disabling.”

Rob January 23, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I’m Hiv+ since 2015 and I already changed 3 type of medications: first was Straibild, than Genvoya and now Biktarvy. The last one is literally the best for me, no side effects, sometimes nightmare but compared the past medications I really prefer this one. And really important is that you can take it also without food!! Amazing!!”

Drew · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I started Biktarvy in 2018, and a few weeks later I developed alopecia areata which has continued to worsen since. I have a childhood history of alopecia areata (coin-sized areas of hair loss) which would only last about 3-4 months and then hair would grow back. However, since starting Biktarvy alopecia has actually spread and I’d say I’ve lost 40% of my hair. I saw a few past reviews about hair loss, and I was told it was not the medication but I believe it triggered it because I keep losing hair and it’s been more than 2 years. No other side effects.”

janieblack · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I had a really bad adverse reaction that saw my typically normal blood pressure shoot through the roof (180/120!!!). Went back to the Atripla and blood pressure is normal again. It is a rare reaction and my doctor was skeptical but I really felt like there was a drug-related issue involved in the spike (not just stress, etc.) so I am glad I was firm on wanting to see if changing meds would change things.”

Andrew · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 8, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I was diagnosed in mid March. My viral load was a little over 1 million. My cd4 was 42. In one month viral load went down to 1700 and cd 4 to 214. Huge drop. I’m undetectable for the last 6 weeks . Dr looks at cd4 this week. Fingers crossed. I’ve had no side effects. Feel great. It’s a miracle drug for me”

PhilWil April 8, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I was recently placed onto Biktarvy moving off Truvada for liver & kidney safety reason. I have maintained a healthy medical & no low viral copies in blood test. I started noting immediately lipodystrophy fat redistribution around abdomen, Brow (Neanderthal Brow). Shortly after began getting severe pain of the right quadrant abdomen, quite unbearable. The Dr indicates he does not believe it Biktarvy related. I did what I do "Not" suggest other's to do, but stopped and restarted previous regimen and side effects subsided. There are side effects with any medications, & in trial study's subjects present with various ones. However, the more pertinent SF'S are what doctors consider, & not nominal less frequent ones. Some are less common doesn't mean don't exist or are less relevant. Advocate for youself, insist your doctor listen, they are there for you as a patient and should treat patient with respect of being heard.”

TD · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I had problems with Bikarvy from the moment I took it, instantly my stomach felt like an acid pit and then the headaches started. I tried taking it with food, taking omeprazole for the acid, popping ginger capsules to sooth my stomach, but nothing helped. I also woke up two nights covered in sweat. After a week I gave up and went back to good old Genvoya. Based on other comments here my reaction to Biktarvy is clearly not common, so I hope it works better for others who are thinking about starting treatment with it.”

N/A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 21, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I was diagnosed with HIV infection on May 23 2019 with a viral load of 97k and a CD4 count of about 500-600. With Biktarvy, I have had no noticeable side effects. I have been very tired but that may have something to do with the time of year or with the actual HIV infection. Within 3 weeks my viral load went from 97,000 to 144 and within 3 weeks more, I was undetectable.”

Big April 9, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Hey Team Mates Big here. I’ve been diagnosed Since 2007 A total of 14 years Strong! Started with Atriplet ( Craziest dreams) then stribil , then doctors recommend a change so then switch to genvoya (the best). Now with all these meds I never really had side effects honestly too the point I was so healthy, I would forget I’m HIV+ until I had to take a pill. Man But now with this Biktarvy my side effects are off the charts. My side effects include skin rash on my lips, arms and stomach. Very restless during the day, can’t stay sleep at night, extreme stomach pains in the liver & kidney area, all of a sudden I have a bad knee (major pain). Rash on my penis that I got checked out by 2 different doctors they both said I was perfectly fine, there was no activity (sex) going on so it ruled out STD’s and STI’s. And I’ve noticed how I Recover from things a bit slower.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2021

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “02/13/2021 is the date of my diagnosis. My CD4 count at the time of my diagnosis had been 700 but my VL 1,750,000. My body didn’t develop antibodies because the HIV infection had been just a days to few weeks in. I started Biktarvy on 02/17/2021 and have had zero side effects. I work in a maximum security prison and had the Doctor at my job write me a script for the CD4 count and VL the CD4 came back at 1.030 which is a drastic increase and we are awaiting for the VL count. My Infectious Disease doctor doesn’t want to do labs until a few months. Hopefully when the VL results come back I am close to being undetectable or very near to it.”

OverIt · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Newly diagnosed around 07/23/2020... VL-14,000, CD4-24 The doctor prescribed me bktarvy, based on my kidney problems. The first week, I felt GREAT no side effects, I felt stronger, happier, gained some weight, and all of the previous symptoms were gone. THE 2ND WEEK, ALTHOUGH I STILL FELT STRONG, I WAS EXPERIENCING VERY EXCRUCIATING CHRONIC MIGRAINES, EVERY SINGLE DAY(SOMETIMES 2X A DAY). The migraines were so intense and unpredictable, that it felt like I was having a stroke, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I could be feeling fine, then all of a sudden, BAM, the migraine hits out of the blue, my eyes starts fluttering, I get dizzy and confused and can't do anything but lay down in front of a fan, because heat is emitting from head and I can't think at all. It is week 3, the nurse recommended that I find another doctor to help with the migraines but she don't recommend me switching meds, and I should continue taking it or I wont get better... THIS IS HORRIBLE”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Got assaulted in June of 2019 and didn’t think about it again until December when I got tested positive for HIV. Sucked that I was 18 and had to deal with this. Started medication in January and in February, my viral load was undetectable with my cd4 already at 530. Biktarvy is amazing and I finally feel like my life is back to normal. I can still workout and live healthy for a long time”

30Somthing+ · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Diagnosed with HIV in June 2019 by my family doctor, Followed up with a specialist in August. My blood work came back a with a VL of 306,000 and my CD4 count was 79. Started Biktarvy August 15, today will be my fourth dose and I already feel better. The swollen lymph node on the back of my neck has reduced in size and I feel more awake and energized in the morning, compared to being sluggish and all around exhausted even though I had gotten 8+ hours of sleep. Over all it seems to be working with no side effects so far, I go back in September for follow up blood work, I will updated my progress then!”

happyman2019 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I was recently diagnosed with HIV. My VL was: 330.000 and CD4: 312, just to be clear, I started my treatment on June 12th, now my recent lab test shows my VL is 70 and my CD4 396, only what? 5 weeks?... Which means I’m about to be undetectable, and my CD4 go up higher. Thanks God, thanks Biktarvy. No side effects btw.”

Tbone8 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I have been HIV+ for ages (2000 officially, with no idea when or how I became +). I started out circling the drain (118 CD4). Started on a multi pill regimen that saved my life. Then went to Atripla, which kept me healthy and gave me awesomely weird dreams. :) Now I've been switched to Biktarvy. No additional side effects, but I miss my Atripla dreams!!! My Kaiser plan somehow works with big pharma to get me this for free. I don't know how. And I don't care.”

Broseph · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Amazing! Switched over from Truvada & Tivicay after being on those for 3 years. As expected, 0 side effects and 0 complications with the Biktarvy. Couldn’t be happier. Also, taking 1 pill a day vs 2 is nice.”

Cherokee · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I was diagnosed right before my 20th birthday in 1994 that I was HIV + I was pregnant and my VL has been less than 10 and CD4 has gotten no lower than 800 and have been undetectable for years. I was on 3 pills for the longest time and then 4 pills twice a day before I was put on Biktarvy and I haven't had any side effects and I started taking it 3/25/19. I just turned 45 in February. So I have been positive for 24 yrs now and still going strong . I'll go in May for blood work to see where I'm at because my VL has been less than 10 still and my CD4 is passed 1300 as of the last time they've checked it.”

Iman · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I was diagnosed with HIV on the 25th of August 2019. My CD4 was 208 Cells and my VL was over 10 million. I started using Biktarvy on the 3rd of September and on the 25th of September so only 22 days after my results came back. My CD4 went up to 697 Cells and my VL went down to only 3600! This is just amazing. When I started using Biktarvy I had side effects like foggy head, had muscle pain usually on the legs and a lot of sweating at night while sleeping. This went all away after appx. 2 weeks. Time to time I still feel tired and have a foggy head but apparently it is normal.”

Babygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “Was diagnosed in Oct 2018. CD4 was 0 viral load unknown. One month after taking it viral load was 67,700 CD4 was 50. Two months after starting it viral load 25 (undetectable) and CD4 283. No side effects at all. I haven't felt this well in years.”

Steve September 15, 2019

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): “I've been taking this medication for ten days now. On day four, I started struggling with insomnia. On day six, I started to notice tingly and itchy skin (all over) and would struggle with night sweats. On day eight, I started to break into hives in my upper torso. My doctor has insisted that I continue to take this medication along with an antihistimine, which has brought on its own side effects, namely headache and nausea. Stribild, by contrast, had no side effects.”