User Reviews for Benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Benzamycin, Aktipak, Benzamycin Pak

Benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical

Isopale · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2020

“I am currently using this once a day at night. It does have a drying effect but not too dry. After using it for two days, I could see a big difference in my skin. It not only cleared my acne, it also evened my skin tone. My skin has never looked so good. I promise this is worth a try for anyone fighting adult acne.”

Mace · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

Benzamycin (benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin): “Great product and the only topical treatment that worked for me. I have hormonal acne on the face and upper back as well as oily skin. This product is applied 2x per day. It eliminates acne very quickly, and promotes new skin growth to avoid long term scarring. It has a drying/face mask effect when applied, but does not over dry the skin. As the day and night go by, the oils on your face naturally break down the topical gel, making it most effective if applied twice a day. Only downside, it has to be refrigerated which can be pain when traveling. I was told this product is safe for pregnancy by itself. I had the best outcome when I used Benzamycin (topical) paired with Spironolactone (oral).”

Shay · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2020

“When I was younger my acne was terrible and my mom got this for me. Omg this was the best thing for me. It worked very well, I just used it at night because I would apply a good amount and it would leave white stuff on my face. I have not used this meds in 5 year plus. Almost forgot about it, plus its super expensive but worth every penny.”

Gery · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2020

“I used this medication for 2 months and it didn’t do anthing to my acne, it made my skin irritated and red. I was really unhappy with the results”

Margaritae · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2020

“So upset!!! Was prescribed this benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin after having severe reaction to an acne pill. I didn’t have any problems the first two weeks of using this and seemed to be at least doing something. A month later and my face looks like it has sunburns all over and itch. The burns hurt so bad I can’t even wash my face now. I just want to cry. This stuff is causing me to have severe anxiety attacks thanks to what it did to me, I’m already dealing with multiple chronic illnesses. I should have never tried this and just kept the acne.”

anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Benzamycin (benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin): “Benzamycin is not for rosacea prone / sensitive skins. My derm put me on it ignoring that irritation is no good for sensitive skin. Although it seemed to work for my acne whenever I used it, it made my rosacea & skin sensitivity worse in a very short amount of time & I only used it at night. Applied over skin for 1-2 hours & then rinsed it off because the burning & irritation was too much for my skin. However I give it 4 stars bc even just 1 hour exposure to it was able to shrink forming & existing pimples. I couldn't use it as long-term acne treatment tho bc skin became so inflamed after using it intermittently over several weeks, my cheeks turned purple & the texture was what i can only describe as raw. Just kept it as spot treatment which was effective.”

L1321 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2019

“When I first started using the benzoyl peroxide and erythromycin combination it changed my skin type basically and made it feel weird kind of oily. My skins texture has become normal now but overall I have had very minimal to no improvements for my acne. I've been using this for a WHILE now and I was hoping that I would possibly see some good things, but no.”

Alassa · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 25, 2019

“I was prescribed this generic benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin by chemist after they ran out of the med my dermatologist had prescribed me. Yes it burns like heck until your skin gets used to it but it worked for me. I put it on fairly thickly morning and evening and rub in well. It becomes very sticky at first but as you keep rubbing it in the white disappears and skin feels smooth. It doesn’t dry my skin but I do also use factor 30 tinted moisturizer (uriage). I’m very happy with this and will keep using. You must keep refrigerated and my tub lasts about 5-6 weeks”

Amanda · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2019

Aktipak (benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin): “I’m 31 and I’ve used Aktipak once a day for four days and my skin immediately cleared up and scarring had gone down significantly! Any new pimple I had went away almost immediately after putting it on. I was told to use it in the morning and use another medication I got at night but because of the side effects (white residue, redness) I switched and use this at night and I’ve had no problems. I didn’t give it a 10 because the burning is somewhat intolerable and it really hurts. I push through because it doesn’t last too long (an hour or two) and the results are immediate. I don’t have flaking as some have described but I also put a really strong moisturizer on after the medicine and put vasaline around my eyes and lips. I would not recommend stopping any medication flat as some have described as you will have acne come back. You have to slowly wean yourself off. Great product if you can handle the stinging and irritation. I’d take it over the acne any day.”

Aki · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2018

“I’ve had acne since I was about 13 (I’m almost 30 now). I’ve tried antibiotics, proactive, crazy skin care regimes, birth control.. you name it. Nothing was ever able to completely get rid of my acne.. until my doctor prescribed this. I only use it once a day, at night, shortly before I go to bed.. but it certainly delivers. It’s been just over a month and my skin is the clearest it’s been since I was a little kid. My skin is a bit drier, for sure, but that’s a small price to pay to be pimple-free and confident enough to go makeup free 24/7 and not feel awful about it. This stuff has changed my life and I’m so grateful my doctor prescribed it to me!”

25 and sensitive · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2018

“I used this for about two months for acne as directed by my derm (once every evening). It was definitely effective but left my face bright pink and made pigmentation issues worse. If you have fair or sensitive skin, I would be very careful.”

Lizzoliz · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2018

“I started breaking out when I started college, little by little it started with very small bumps thought it was a heat rash, but nooo it wasn’t a heat rash...they started getting bigger everyday, Turned out to be cystic acne. Went to my primary doctor, he prescribed me a few topical gels/cream thought they were working but they weren’t, last topical gel my primary doctor prescribed was tretinion 0.01% that was working, but it was burning my face so bad, my face was very irritated, (great for acne scars) I know it’s suppose to make your face red, but I couldn’t take it anymore...finally they referred me to a DERM. The derm doctor prescribed me AKTIPAK oh my gosh,I’m only on my 2nd day and I can’t believe the result already! I’m also taking Sulfameth/ Trimeth twice daily! I am so thankful and I hope this gets rid of my cystic acne soon!! Good luck to all of us that suffer with anytime of acne :)”

Smith · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2018

“Prescribed this by my derma. Moderate to severe acne and sometimes get a little bit of cystic acne mixed in. Yes, it does severely dry out your skin and cause it to peel. But that means its working. The benzoyl peroxide peels the top layer of skin so a new layer can form, while the erythromycin helps kill bacteria. My suggestion: only apply at night before bed every night or every second night. In the morning wash your face with a very soothing and moisturizing wash. Then put on a moisturizer with SPF (and then your makeup). Works pretty well if you stick to it. If you're just starting to use it for the first time use it every 3 days, then every 2, then every other, and then daily (if you want) so you don't aggravate your skin too badly.”

person · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2018

“I hate this product. I'm not sure if the instructions were clear, but it was not effective. In fact, I got a allergic reaction to it. I read over the labels and instructions but it didn't help. I used that product and it gave me burns and dry skin, and on top of it, my face was swollen and puffy. I personally disliked this, my face looks disgusting. I was extremely insecure so I wore a mask the whole day. I was felt repulsive and hid myself from the public. I understand that this product might've work for some people, but unfortunately, it didn't cope with me.”

irritated · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2018

“Moderate but constant acne since age 9. Currently 18. Only been using benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical for 8 days. Severely drying out my skin. Couldn't sleep some nights because my skin burned/itched so bad. Struggling even with moisturizer applied before applying this. Tried putting face sunscreen on but I don't think the medication works as well on top of it. Kind of stuck and don't know what to do or think. Just gonna try to be patient and stick it out.”

Mel July 6, 2018

“The combination of medications are great and helps clear blemishes/pimples away. The only complaint is that it sometimes dries up white and looks bad, esp if your going outside. I like to wear makeup when I'm going out and Im not sure how the combination of foundation and these medications will pair. :(”

rlcourtney · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2018

“Used this medicine for acne, it wasn't for me. Too extreme for my face. Spironolactone helped degrease my skin and clean and clear each day is a better fit.”

Madalyn B. · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2018

“I used this medication for a week and it severely dried out my face and made my face very red. You might think oh if she would have used it for longer it would've worked, no I put a very very thin amount on my face and it looked like I had put my face into a boiling grease pan. Will never use this again, not for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2018

“I Love, Love, Love this stuff! I’m 33 years old. I was diagnosed with cystic acne 2 years ago. Cystic acne started for me when I turned 30. For 3 years now my life has dramatically changed for the worse. Cystic acne is a lot different than the basic acne. I’ve seen so many doctors trying to find a “cure” it was a nightmare that I cannot wake up from. It caused me to go into a deep depression, I stopped going out in public. A friend I had known at the time for 9 months introduced me to Benzoyl gel 3%.! The first few times using it I saw immediate results. I couldn’t believe there was something out there ALL THIS TIME. You don’t have to feel like your life is over that there’s no hope for you because there is hope....it’s called Benzoyl ”

60 year old woman September 21, 2017

Benzamycin (benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin): “I had acne all of my and I am 60 years old. I came across this stuff 30 years ago and it's wonderful. Like the comments before me.......it does leave a white film on your face, but I apply it at night. When I do have a break out and dab a thicker amount on that area and in a two days it's dried up and gone. If you use this properly it's the best out there. Plus I feel it keeps my skin from aging. Since it does dry out your skin the aging spots pretty much fade out. I would seriously give this product a try since I can tell you that I did true everything out there. I hope this helps one person if not a lot more. Why have unwanted acne on your face and go thru life like that. A little pricy but it's your face where talking about.”

BeautifulAgain · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2017

“My boyfriend took this and swears by it. I always beautiful skin like his, but in my early 30s (36 this month, ugh) I started having Break Outs!! Never had them in my life! Tried antibiotics once and it worked. Again, been on antibiotics for my kidneys and skin is clear for once. But, asked Dr anyway and she gave me this. In one day, by night now, skin is tight and feeling different. No cystic break out tonight. I can always feel it. I'm excited. I know what it did for him. Between us, have to give it ten stars regardless. It's so good he used to mix water in the empty container for one or two more uses. Good luck to me and you all. I know how frustrating and depressing bad skin can be. Never thought I would suffer this way. Def worth a try”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2017

“I was prescribed this gel for a reaction to an antibiotic called Cirpoflaxacin that caused severe redness in my skin. I used it three times a day for five months and now have almost completely restored my skin back to its original clarity. I was taken off the gel after it was discovered I had psoriasis versus what doctors had initially diagnosed. Persistent usage of this antibotic is imperative for skin clarity. I noticed no improvement in my skin color/inflamatory symptoms until after a month of usage. My only complaint is that the gel was painful to apply. It stung like a bee sting every time I applied it, often times worse if my skin was really inflamed.”

Kylah · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2017

“I've been using this gel for about a month, along with Minocycline prescribed pills, and it works pretty good for me. I've had mild acne for about 4 years and nothing ever worked for my skin. This stuff really works for my skin, although it does make it dry because I already have dry skin. Very good progress in little time.”

Anonymousetoo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 19, 2017

Benzamycin (benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin): “I have used this medicine two separate times for severe cystic acne. I never had a problem with acne until I was a nursing school student. This cleared up all my cystic pimples at that time. A few years later they returned when I stopped taking birth control. I got a prescription for Benzamycin again and they all cleared up once more. This product makes your skin somewhat dry but works wonderfully.”

cystic acne user · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2017

“Was prescribed it for my diagnosed cystic acne that started out on the sides of my face. I used it for about 3 months and saw fantastic results and my face was so clear. Unfortunately I stopped using it because my prescription ran out, and not even 2 weeks after (now) it came back with a vengeance on my forehead/nose/everywhere else that isn't where my cystic acne first started (the sides of my face) now I am at a loss. I don't know if it's due to me stopping it abruptly, but that is my experience.”

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)