Benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical: topical gel/jelly
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
Major Side Effects
You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical:Less common or rare:
- Burning, blistering, crusting, itching, severe redness, or swelling of the skin
- dryness or peeling of the skin
- eye irritation
- feeling of warmth, mild stinging, or redness of the skin
- increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- oiliness or tenderness of the skin
- painful irritation of the skin
- redness or other discoloration of the skin
- redness, swelling, or itching of the eyelid
- severe sunburn
- skin rash
- swelling of the eyes, face, and nose
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical: topical gel
Local effects are the most commonly reported adverse effects of benzoyl peroxide-erythromycin topical. Transient drying occurs most often, followed by erythema, pruritus, burning, tenderness, and desquamation. A single case of generalized urticarial reaction to erythromycin topical has been reported.[Ref]
Allergic sensitization to benzoyl peroxide has been reported to occur in 1% to 5% of patients.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Benzamycin Topical Gel (benzoyl peroxide-erythromycin topical)" Dermik Laboratories, Collegeville, PA.
Not all side effects for benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical
- Benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin gel
- Benzoyl peroxide and erythromycin topical
- Erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide Topical (Advanced Reading)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.