User Reviews for Differin

Learn more about Differin.

Differin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 431 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Differin to treat Acne

"I've had a great experience with Differin gel. I was prescribed Differin for acne that got worse as an adult. When I was 31, the acne was so severe that I felt like a teenager. The first week was hard. My skin was very dry to the point where flakes would fall off when I touched my face. I used moisturizer in the morning, and would still flake all day. After about a week, the dryness completely went away. I've been using this product for a few weeks now and have seen a HUGE difference in my skin. My acne is clearing up, and my skin has a smoothness that it has never had before. My skin is combination/oily, and it feels a little oilier now. I'm okay with that - with the smoothness of my skin, it looks dewy and clear."

Kittymeowxcore (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2016

"This has worked wonders! A little rough for the first couple months, but even then my cystic acne lessened and the pimples I did have were raised and easy to get rid of. Stick it out for 3-4 months and you'll see!"

Kristin0823 August 12, 2016

"great product no acne or wrinkles"

.....;/:33):2);3)(:!!?!$6 July 13, 2016

"I've had acne problems since the 4th grade and have since tried tretinoin, benzaclin and dalacin T which did not help me very much. I gave up prescriptions for the last 5 years using OTC benzoyl peroxide when I suddenly had the WORST breakout of my life (I think from stress) with cystic acne. Family doctor gave me Differin XP gel. I've been using it for 1 month and my acne has dramatically cleared up. I did not purge at all (maybe got 3-5 small pimples) and I peeled once while swimming outside. I was also prescribed 333mg erythromycin tab by a dermatologist but did not take it yet as it seems differin has already cleared me up. I did skip a few days and used 4 dot sized amounts instead of the recommended "pea-size.""

Roooo June 28, 2016

"I've always had acne, ever since puberty started!! I broke out really badly at the start of this year probably because I went on a "TRY EVERYTHING" rampage and destroyed my own skin:( but yea it was one of the lowest points for me in terms of my self-esteem and confidence. I really hated looking at myself and I was so depressed. Anyway I was prescribed Differin by my dermatologist. Alas, after many painful months of breaking out, my skin slowly but surely cleared up. I would say, the initial months were VERY TOUGH but don't give up! BE PATIENT and you will see your skin transform! Give if at least 3 months"

megsie June 24, 2016

"I've had moderate acne for about 6 months, and upon being persrcibed this my skin has improved dramatically in just 2 and a half weeks! Spots are drying up within a couple of days - I am so impressed by this! My sister had the same experience - I dont know if our skin type just works with this cream but it has been AMAZING"

MeganF98 June 19, 2016

"I'm on week 2 almost week three. My face didn't dry up like my doctor said it would. But I did however get easily sunburnt and I have THE worst break out I think I've ever had since starting on it. I want to hide my face in a brown paper bag. My chin is literally swollen from the amount of breakouts this stupid cream has given me. I'm not impressed one bit."

Unhappy 101 April 22, 2016

"I have suffered from mild to moderate acne for almost the past 10 years and for the past few years it has been quite moderate and under control- not perfect but not terrible by any means. However, I went on Yasmin BC and within 4 days I was experiencing the worst breakout of my life. My right cheek, whole chin and jaw line was just awful. I got prescribed differin ASAP and for the past week I have been combining with coconut oil when I apply at night to 'water it down' so to speak. My blemishes are fading SO quick! Ive had a few new ones, an IB I imagine, but they are going as quick as they come. I am really happy and can't recommend enough. This is differin cream and not gel. I have tried duac in the past and it wasnt even close!!!"

alice7789 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

"acne has been a problem for me since 8th grade & I started using Differin my first day of senior year (major mistake due to it making your skin "purge" the first couple of days//weeks" by the end of October my skin was mostly clear & by the beginning of December my face was completely clear except for the occasional pimple every once in a blue moon. At the beginning it would make my skin burn especially during sports. It's sensitive to sun to defenitely use sunscreen when you're out. All around miracle medicine."

k:)) March 5, 2016

"I've struggled with acne for YEARS and my doctor prescribed Differin to help with my face. I've been using it for maybe 2 and a half weeks at this point so I know it's really early to post a review. Everything I've read about the product has been that it changes nothing for the first couple months but I've been using a Tea Tree Facial cleanser before the Differin cream & it has made a WORLD of difference ! So if you don't see much of a chance try a tea tree product. I got mine from the body shop."

Cassietitan (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"2 weeks into the treatment, first week was awful, burning redness peeling more pimples. Slowly improved I'm feeling a lot better still a little bit of peeling and dry skin and a pimple here and there but it doesn't burn anymore. They say 8 weeks others 3 months to see results so although it's too early to say that differin won the battle I have to say that I'm satisfied. Also I use Clinique bar soap in the morning, Clinique acne cream, and tonic. And at night just st Ives scrub and differin. I wear my regular make up revlon but I want to switch to Clinique. It doesn't hold all day my skin starts to get itchy in the evening. Just be patient!"

Barbarapsi26 February 26, 2016

"I've been using Differin 0.1 for years now (over 10 years) and swear by it. It keeps big cytic acne from breakout too badly / clears up blemishes and marks fast and most importantly prevents from them occuring in the first place. I have also read its anti-aging... I'm 33 now and people think I'm 26."

Sejal82 February 21, 2016

"This stuff is horrible Doctor prescribed it because I was getting eczema next to my chin and a few break outs And now my face is on fire is burning, itching, peeling, scabbing and all and it's made my face 100 times worse Worst experience ever I don't want to leave the house this is ridiculous Don't buy it."

Kp1345 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

"I went to the dermatologist for the first time in my life a few weeks ago (January) to try and get gorgeous skin for my wedding in September. I was prescribed this drug and chose if over the two others because it was the least expensive (still $125 for me, though). After using it for a few days (without seeing too much of a difference, but no deep pimples) I developed a rash on both arms and my upper side below my armpit. I didn't think it could be the product because I had applied it to my face, but after seeing that hives are a common reaction I am sure that's what it is. The rash still itches occasionally and is unsightly on my arms even after 2 weeks. What a disappointment--and now I have to figure out how to get rid of this rash."

Vivacedragon February 10, 2016

"I'm currently on my 5th week of Differin. Things aren't looking up. I'm in college and I'm currently interning before I get into med school - this means everyday practical exams and everyday patient evaluation. I've lost all my self esteem - I wish I never went on Differin in the first place. Should I stop it? I was said it took 6-12 weeks to see results, and improvement right after the first month. That never happened and honestly, I no longer want to return to my dermatologist. It was an absolute waste of money and time. My face is exploding with cysts, especially on my nose. And I hate seeing my patients like this. What should I do?"

Miss Intern January 29, 2016

"I have been using the gel for the last few weeks. My skin has become more oily and sensitive. I hope that it would heel. I have used this product before. And it completely cleared my face. But I didn't stick to it. So it came back."

melony harison January 22, 2016

"This , dried my eyes out very bad and made them sore it also made my acne worse"

luciejww (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"Absolutely amazing! Since I have used this medicine my face has cleared up in less than a month! I had a lot of bumps on my forehead and pimples and my face including cheeks. I also feel that it is helping with my acne scars. I really hoped this helped and that more people can live with clear skin:)"

Anonymous January 14, 2016

"I have PCOS and for the last two years have struggled with hormonal acne. I went from rarely wearing makeup to feeling embarrassed without it. I noticed changes when I stressed less but over the counter products were not working. My skin was very dry and had even started peeling. Also, I had huge cystic acne clustered on my cheeks and after a few days if using differin they were gone. I didn't have the initial stage of my acne getting worst. My face is pimple free after a week and a half. It actually has started clearing up my dark spots. (Note: I also take spironolactone daily for acne as well as medroxyprogesterone 10 days a month for pcos)"

Very Happy (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

"I've always had really mild breakouts ever since college started, but I gradually lost them through Clearasil and St. Ives. But now that I'm in my junior year, I'm breaking out twice as much. My dermatologist prescribed me Differin (0.01 cream adapalene), and it was quite pricey because I was taking it alongside clindamycin, which I only put on my pimples whereas I used a pea-sized amount of Differin on my entire face. I'm currently on my third day of Differin and Clindamycin, and I have been experiencing skin peelings on my nose and a little bit of redness and tenderness. There have been more breakouts (I now have 6 pimples), and I hope it gets worse before it gets better now that it's still holiday break."

Mia ❤️ (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

"After retin A seemingly stopped working, my doctor put me on differin. I had high hopes but it didn't work out. This gel didn't cause the dry irritation in my skin but instead caused my skin to become excessively oily which then cause blackheads to pop up all over my face, which I've never had a problem with them, except maybe a few on my nose and in the creases of my nose. I started getting blackheads on my forehead (and I'm not talking about them being barely noticeable, they were large and made noticeable bumps on my skin) on my chin, between my eyebrows - everywhere. I also started developing acne on my cheeks which I've never had before so I stopped taking the mediation after that completely."

Emilyci December 23, 2015

"I've only used this product once (Last night) after it was prescribed by my doctor and I woke up looking like I was wearing foundation. I've had acne for about a year and the just started off as sweat pimples. They got much worse in the following 6 months, I got teased for them when I went up a grade. My worst problem is the redness my acne causes and this really helped, even in the first night! Someone actually commented that I looked like I was wearing makeup."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

"I had mild acne on my face, upper arms, chest, and back and after using this for 2 months I still have acne on my face but it is very small and not very many pimples left. However I have also been using this on the my arms, chest, and back but this has not worked at all in thoes areas. I also used to have acne on my shoulder but it is completely gone thansk to this product. For me it works in some areas but not others weird."

My name is... October 19, 2015

"I've used this product for 12 weeks now my comedone acne completely cleared after 8 weeks of use. Broke out a lot in the first 8 weeks but once I reached 8 weeks and onwards my skin has drastically changed. Would definitely recommend this for comedone acne and do try and persevere as it take at least 8 weeks to work."

Anonymous October 17, 2015

"Differin XP has been a miracle product for me. As a girl who's had moderate breakouts since the age of 13, (am now 23!) I have to say sticking to this product has been very well-worth it! For the first 2 months, yes, my skin was very dry and even flaky, and yes it did turn me off a bit - but I was warned of this side-effect and decided to just keep going with it. I was able to battle the flakiness with use of exfoliants, and even in the first few months, I felt my breakouts were happening less often and were less severe. Now, 8 months later, the flakiness is no longer an issue and find using this product has boosted my quality of life, although I still do get the occasional few tiny pimples - it does its job."

C_____N October 6, 2015