User Reviews for Differin

Differin Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 402 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Differin to treat Acne

"Differin is revolutionary. I'm 30 years old with nearly 20 years of hard acne. I spent my teens caking my face in make-up and buying anything with a promise. Anyone who got close to me would keep it a secret due to my skin condition. In the end, I believed that no one would ever know my “real face” (or they would surely turn to stone!) Then everything changed. I have been using Differin for 3 years, once before bed. I needed patience and persistence for 1 year until my skin achieved the glowing complexion stage. Every-side effect possible hit me hard. But now my confidence is booming! If you really have had acne be the bane of your existence, then you will know that life has no quick fixes and that any product yielding great powers comes with responsibilities (avoid UV; be flexible--adapt dosage to need; splash sweat and tears away with plenty of cool water; chose sateen pillow cases and a good fragrance-free face balm). I think Differin will always work for those who really need it!"

Mireille Badara-LaCavaliere (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2018

"I've always had hormonal acne--started when I was in my teens. I'm now in my 50s and it hasn't stopped! I tried so many products and I wash my face morning and night, but by the middle of a month, the big cystic acne and whiteheads return. I just began my Differin regimen-- face wash, gel(0.1%), moisturizer, and sunscreen. My skin is in the "irritation" phase--feels irritated and slightly burns when heat or sunlight hit it. I noticed the cystic acne quickly turned into whiteheads (looks really ugly) but I see it works fast! I'm going to keep up the routine..face wash morning + sunscreen-- which reduces the irritating feeling I experience-- then face wash and moisturizer at night, which is soothing for me. I'll get better skin yet!"

Shelly (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

"I never thought I’d be leaving a review about a product that helped clear my acne but here I am doing exactly that. I’ve had oily acne prone skin for as long as I can remember and at 42 it was still going strong! I mostly get deep blocked pores on the back of my neck that become really inflamed and turn into massive red lumps that rarely come to a head and linger for ages and my back was a similar story. After many trips to the doctors over the years proved fruitless and after my latest breakout I’d almost given up but after another search through google I decided to give Differin a go. Well I’m not gonna lie it’s been a bumpy road, no pun intended, but after around 10 weeks things are really starting to clear up! The purge at the start nearly got me to quit several times but I thought what the hell you’ll get spots whether you stick with it or not so give it a chance. I’m glad I did, this isn’t a quick fix it’s more of a long haul type of gig but I’m now seeing very good results!"

Adiosacne May 11, 2018

"I developed "adult" acne and nothing else was working anymore until this. I spent about 40$ for the first purchase (I bought the bigger size and still have half left after 2 months) and have been using it for 2 months consistently. Quit all your other products except for wipes to remove makeup. Trust the process, it can get worse before it gets better because it draws all the junk out. Just push through because it's so worth it. My skin is nice and clear and I can finally wear lighter foundation instead of laying it on to hide my breakouts."

Ash (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

"I’ve been using this product for about 4 months now, and it really does help your skin and I recommend you use it at night before you go bed. For me the only side-effect I’ve had was SUPER dry and flakey skin, that’s the only downside to this product I try to mosturize my face right after I get out of the shower in the morning, and then I put on my makeup. Somedays in the morning even though I do mosturize, I put on my makeup and when I’m done I realize it looks like I have a bread because that’s how dry your skin gets. But if you do remember to moisturize it won’t be as bad."

Rachel (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

"I’ve been using Differin for 5 weeks almost and it’s made me break out horribly. This is the worse my skin has ever been"

B (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

"I recommend this product to anyone. The result are amazing, for better results used it at night time. Works better if you avoid exposure to the sun, if you used it during the day and you have exposure to the sun will cause black spots. You don't need to use too much otherwise using more than need it will cause you dryness, you can apply moisturizer on top to avoid dry skin but it really works"

NINA (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2018

"100% clear one day after using it, nothing has ever worked this good and I’ve tried EVERYTHING, organic, diy, face masks, healing Aztec clay, rose hip oil, tee tree oil, proactive and acne free, this is by far the best."

Amy, 22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

"So I wanted to try this because it was once a prescription medicine and I wasn’t having any luck with other OTC brands. I read reviews and thought “oh it can’t be THAT bad” (with the side effects) but let me tell you I was WRONG. Day one isn’t bad, day 2 a breeze but by day 4/5 my face was raw and super dry as anything. My skin has never flaked in my life & I looked like a man with a beard. Anything including extremely sensitive lotion BURNED my face. Even tears burned the hell out of my face. The drug works quickly and It does work getting rid of blemishes. In my opinion the side effects isn’t worth it to me. I stopped applying the drug to me face and I’m unsure whether I’ll start up again in a few days. My face needs a rest!"

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

"I am passing my second full week of using Differin. I am 64 years old and have always had some type of breakout issue, clogged pores and some enlarged pores for as long as I can remember. My skin was relatively wrinkle free prior to using. Anyway, the clogged pores on my chin are much improved as are the bumps on my forehead. The pores on my nose are greatly diminished. The slight wrinkles I had are just about gone as the retinoid also provides a gradual skin peel. I am anxious to see final results after 12 weeks of use. I think I will probably use it 3 days per week thereafter. Just remember to moisturize and use sunscreen! I’m also curious if this product can be used on the under eye area. Anyone have an answer on that one?"

cottagekat February 13, 2018

"STICK TO IT!!!! I did and my skin looks amazing. At first I saw more acne, especially white heads. I also got really dry skin but I moisturized all the time and it relieved it. You can also get burning irritating skin but don't give up. Eventually you seen your skin clear, even toned and tighter. I also noticed some of my fine lines gone. I know you might want to give up but DON'T. I'm 50 years old and I never had pimples until the past two years. Nothing worked. I went to the dermatologist, got prescription meds but the only thing that worked was this product."

Pinkapplelace December 15, 2017

"I've been using this product (Adapalene 0.1% gel) for 13 months now. I had a lot of small zits on my forehead and a good amount of acne on one of my cheeks. The first week or so is the worst, it dries your skin and is very painful. After a month, you start getting huge cysts and under the skin pimples, especially in the areas where there were little zits before. It's embarrassing, but push through. After about three months, my skin started clearing up. I still use this product daily, and my skin is better than before I started for sure. Around my period I get more acne, but it goes away quickly. This product is not a fun process, but it works decently in the long run. Make sure you invest in a good moisturizer to use daily."

madipetr (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 26, 2017

"So I think people should be aware that there are two products and two percentages. There is a cream and a gel. There are also a 0.1% and 0.3%. The one sold in the store is 0.1%. BenzaClin was leaving me with little bumps on my head (I'm athletic and it started to create fungus on my head) while prescription retinol gel was just making me red and puffy. I tried the 0.1% gel from Walmart. I was aware it would take awhile so I gave it two months to work. My skin looks so much better now. I use Neutrogena anti-wrinkle moisturizing on top of it. I'm guessing if it's like any retinol product you have to build into using higher percentage, at this point I could probably ask my doctor for 0.3% but I figure why mess with a good thing."

alaskalady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2017

"My acne was moderate, I went to the doctor and tried birth control to help & the first 3 months on birth control made it 100 times worse, I stuck with it though & then got on a prescription topical which I had an allergic reaction to. I tried so many different face washes, then finally a family friend recommended differin. I found it for $20-25 I think? My skin cleared up in a week. I still have some small under the skin spots around my chin / mouth but easily covered up by make up. No more cystic acne! I recommend everyone to try this. I have before and after pictures that I wish I could attached because the difference is insane."

Hayleygoltare November 24, 2017

"I used this ONE TIME before sleeping. I put on moisturizer about 5 times the next day, and my face still hurt. Today is the second day after using this product, and my face still hurts, is red, and is puffy after applying moisturizer another five times today. I don't think its supposed to hurt this bad, even if there is a purging process. I would not recommend this product."

Em2222 November 10, 2017

"This is definitely not the same Differin Gel that the doctor prescribed years ago. Don't expect the same results from the over-the-counter Differin Gel. The products are not the same!!!"

KamecoGirl November 8, 2017

"For a while I was struggling with the worst most painful acne of my life. I bought a tube of Differin for $15 and within a week inflammation was down and things were looking good. 2 months into it I don't have a single pimple on my face. I only wash my face once every 3 days to help prevent over drying and every night I remove my makeup, use a micellar water, apply a layer of Differin, and then an oil mixture to moisturize. I've found that facial oil rather than a moisturizer increases the effectiveness of Differin, it almost seals it close to the skin at night. Wouldn't recommend Differin to everyone, but it worked wonders for me. Its all about patience and dedication."

Dirgni451 November 8, 2017

"I have been on this gel (1%) for 7 weeks now. I have had hormonal acne since 12, I am now 29. My doctor had me start with using it twice a week, then 3x a week, etc. Yes, there was a purge and yes, it does seem to be still purging. The fact is that I'm seeing improvement. I will not be stopping this treatment as nothing has worked like this before (you name it, I've tried it). I would say I'm seeing 65% improvement at this point. A huge plus is that I also have notice scars fading, wrinkles softened, and any wounds from picking definitely heal much faster. Lotion morning and night, and cerave foaming cleanser. My skin hasn't been this healthy in a long time."

ChelT November 6, 2017

"Follow the instructions and heed the words of the people who have used it before, and I feel like there's no reason Differin won't work for you. I've had problems with adult/hormonal acne for awhile now, and this is the first and only thing that has made a seriously noticeable improvement. My skin did do the "purge" before it got better, but I just gave it some time like the instructions and other users said, and in about 3-4 weeks I noticed serious improvements in my skin. It looks MUCH better than it has in years. If you're not a patient person and will give up when the purge happens, then don't waste your money."

KaraM81 October 17, 2017

"I have been using Differin for over 4 months now and at first my skin was okay. It got rid of most pimples but there was never not one time where my face was completely flawless but now my acne is worse than its ever been. I feel like this happens to me with most products. It works at first and then makes my skin horrible. I am going to give Benzoyl Peroxide a try."

userrr1945 October 17, 2017

"This gel has been a life saver! I went off birth control last August. My acne was out of control. I tried differin and I noticed a change immediately. I've been on it since August 26th. It's now October 14th and my skin is clear and glowing. I even went off of it for a week to see if there would be a difference and all my acne did come back gradually... so I recommend this to anyone willing to try a new acne cream!! I'm Canadian and I go out of my way to pick it up in the US when I visit. My only complaint is that my skin is a little dry, just moisturize an hour after application to reduce sensitivity."

KARAROSE13 October 14, 2017

"I tried a lot of things for my acne and none of them had worked before differin gel. It's irritating to have acne at 34 years old. I didn't think anything would help. Differin gel was affordable and I could get it at Walmart so I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. This is the first thing that worked for me. You only need a very small amount and you only need to apply it once a day. Any more than that and it will burn your skin. It's a small tube but but it lasts a long time. I would highly recommend it."

MomOf5K34 October 10, 2017

"I've only been using this gel for a few days and I can see a major difference. I have very sensitive skin so when I saw the reviews I got a little nervous, so when I tried it I was ready for red skin and rashes, but nothing happened. Within the next few days I saw a major improvement, which shocked me! I've used a lot of acne treatments and none of them worked, but within the first couple of days I could see my pimples going away! I don't think this is supposed to help with blackheads or whiteheads, but this is still totally worth it! And who knows maybe if I keep using it, it will help with them. I highly recommend this product to anyone with acne problems!"

Sabby C October 6, 2017

"Excellent product. Cleared my acne in 1 week. You have to follow the instructions to avoid skin irritation and limit Sun exposure."

LeeGood1 August 29, 2017

"I needed to share an honest review. I got differin to get rid of these stubborn invisible pimples around my chin. Basically they're clogged pores. They appeared even though I wash my face daily and nightly and exfoliate regularly with expensive products. Then I found differin. I've been on it about 3 weeks now. Although I have gotten breakouts all over, my forehead is it's clearest it's been. The pores on my cheeks are getting smaller and clearer. My nose has practically no problem areas anymore. The invisible pimples/clogged pores are subsiding dramatically. I am getting breakouts in those areas but my face looks radiant anyway."

Cheetos August 16, 2017