User Reviews for Differin

Learn more about Differin.

Differin Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 438 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Differin to treat Acne

"I love seeing the 1 ⭐️ Ratings and reading about how the used the product incorrectly and blame the company for that. It says on the pamphlet to avoid UV's. You can't just blob it on and then go to the beach, it literally says not to do that. If it burns your face your using it more then once a day or your using it to much. Before you use a product as strong as this, please educate yourself on how to use it properly. This product will start to show results for most within a couple days if you just you a light coat once a day, at the same time, everyday. Be sure to read the box, it has a list of products that aren't compatible with this gel and make sure not to use those on your face or else it will burn worse then scolding water on your face."

Coleflesh March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff is AWESOME. Admittedly it itched like fire for three days until I slacked off and used a good moisturizing cream. But my face is CLEAR for the first time in YEARS. I recommend Carmex to heal the dry flakes and Aveeno after that. If you have another breakout, go back to Differin. I can't recommend this stuff enough. It's worth it to itch and burn for a day or two; it's WORKING. Just deal with it. Thank you, makers of Differin!!! Screw makeup. I'm FREE."

Soquilii (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was freaking horrible I have a mild case of acne used this horrible acne gel and it burned my entire face I don't even want to walk out my house! When I step into my car with the heat its an excruciating pain that won't go away I would never recommend this product to anyone! I'm a very beautiful woman and my self-esteem has dropped dramatically! I cry myself to sleep since using this, I can't believe they really sell this in stores!!!! "

Morena Coronado12 March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried several over the counter Acne medications and washes, home made applications and NOTHING seemed to work. I saw a commercial on Differin Gel and literally told myself, " sure, another acne med that claims to be effective " I figured, I might as well give it try considering I was beginning to accept my terrible acne. I saw results in a week or so and so did my family n friends. I am almost 2 months in and my face is practically clear, even the dark acne scars vanished. I highly recommend Differin Gel to Everyone that is suffering from mild to severe acne, I promise!! I always apply the gel after washing my face in the evening, applying the gel all over my face and jaw bone. Good luck!"

Jo04 March 14, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible product!!! Flesh eating in a tube!!! Thanks a lot for making a mild problem MAJOR!!! I can't even start to explain what this did to my face! Here take my money and ruin my self-esteem!!!!!!"

Sissy1968 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've always suffered with acne throughout my teenage years & adult life. I have PCOS & I had a full thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer last year. I'm now 38. My hormones went crazy after surgery. I was breaking out terribly. I've tried every over the counter & natural treatment you could imagine. Nothing worked. I saw the commercial & was of course skeptical. I picked it up at target & started using it during my usual breakout time (week before my period) within a week it was cleared up! My acne scars are lighter as well. People at work are actually saying how good my skin looks! I wish I would've tried sooner. I use a very thin layer in common breakout areas. I also moisturize with coconut oil. Fantastic product!"

Thyroidmadness (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I',ve been using all 3of the products for a little over 3weeks my jawline is worst than ever....they say it could take up to 8weeks or more....I am 49 never had acne like rhis even as a teen..I truly believe if after 1 month and I don't see it getting better then THE PRODUCT IS NOT FOR ME AND WILL NOT WORK.7 days and I am returning the product...don't waste money on the so called previously by rx only product...back to toothpaste and spot treatment.."

Jai malone March 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had acne when I was a teenager, it cleared up during my 20s then came back - with a vengeance - when I was 33. Differin gel and cream has been the BEST stuff I've used and I have used A LOT of different lotions and potions which have cost me a fortune over the years. I'm now 39 and still suffer breakouts but u keep a tube handy for them and it clears them up in a couple of days. I would say to ONLY put it on the papule or pustule and not on any clear skin around them. That's when it will make your skin flake and peel off! If you use on the spots ONLY it will work just fine. I'm also a beauty therapist and I recommend that some of my clients see their GP for it."

Grisabelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 28, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have only just started this product but I'm in love! I usually don't leave reviews but this felt necessary- DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE NORMAL SKIN OR LITTLE ACNE. This product is clearly meant for us more oily skin types, and I can honestly say it's worked like a dream. Yes, my skin has become a little more dry and sensitive, but that's to be expected. It cleared up my super bad breakout in about a week and now I'm working on getting rid of my blackheads and the scars. I definitely recommend this product, and be sure to moisturize when using!!"

Maddyoll (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used differen when it first arrived on the market. I'm a black woman btw. stopped cause it was making my face peel. Maybe five years later the derm told me use it again along with doxy pills and it cleared my skin up without flaking this time. Every time I stop using it for a while I get acne again I'm 25 and I still get breakouts depending on what I'm eating( I love junk). I think I will stick with It and not go long without using it even for tiny pimples. Only had the flaking and burning the very first time using so my advice to newbies is to not use as much when U r just starting it. And take care of your Insides. Stay hydrated Your skin must get used to it for it to work. No more doxy only this gel. Skin is supple again!"

Buzzie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"(A little background on my skin, I get a pimple here and there and overall have pretty normal skin) I saw a commercial for Differin and immediately went online to buy it, I thought that the product sounded great for the price! After I purchased it I started looking into side effects and reviews on the product. They were pretty mixed with some people saying they loved it and others saying they hated it but the main thoughts were that it might make your breakouts worse for a few months then get better, and it can make your skin dry and sensitive. Well let me tell you I used this product as directed for 3 nights in a row and it gave me a chemical type burn on my face, my skin is flaking off and I am using a TON on moisturizer to try to keep it as hydrated as I can, and it hurts to even touch my face. And I don't mean like when your skin is dry type of flaking off, I mean like worse sun burn in your life type of flaking off. I also have a pretty high pain tolerance and anytime I touched my face, took my makeup off, put makeup on, or used my moisturizer it felt like 10,000 needles stabbing me in my face while getting burned by a hot iron. I have now stopped using the product and two days later my skin is still the same; flaking, red, and hurting like no other. Do NOT use this product unless you are ready for some serious pain and skin damage."

cmf979 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started getting acne in my early 20's and by 27 I was suffering from cystic acne.. In total I'd say I've tried 20 or more treatments without improving. I did two courses of accutane without improvement... about a year later I went to a new dermatologist and was prescribed differin gel. After three months my face was perfect.. no acne, no scars. Don't even judge it for two months... waiting isn't fun but discouragement can lead to quitting... don't quit you won't regret it... my skin did get dry and sensitive but got better within a month or so... don't scrub, use excessive products and use moisturizer... seriously perfect skin!!"

Sharing247 February 12, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"FP prescribed this to me while I was on waitlist for dermatologist... I've used this for 7 months now. I still have a lot of acne, although less. The dermatologist prescribed me Alysena (BCP) to use with differin xp. Three months later, I had little improvement so she also prescribed a topical antibiotic (aczone gel) which she told me to apply with Differin. *** I still use differin because it has completely removed my blackheads (they used to be HUGE and very noticeable) *** . My skin is also much drier now."

torororororo February 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Its been over a month using the over the counter. I posted previously. I had started out using once every three days and then went to every two days to make sure no issues. Skin got very dry at first. Apply each evening about two hours before going to bed. In the AM I apply Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with Sunscreen SPF 35 and re-apply as needed. Had several blackheads mature during the month. Some were under the skin surface. All gone. A few whiteheads. Skin has calmed down considerable. Skin seems healthier. No longer use Benzoyl Peroxide."

JoePot February 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started using Differin last January in 2016. It was prescribed by my dermatologist together with antibiotics, and I have to say - it's the best ever! I don't know if it was because of the antibiotics, but my acne healed in less than three months and the only thing I had to worry about was the scars. The only (common) side effect I had was dry, scaly skin. Doctor told me it was fine during our second checkup, so he gave me moisturiser. (Side note: I've been moisturising my face since young but I didn't dare to aggravate my skin so I stopped) And I love the fact that Differin does not discolour clothings and bedsheets. Before this I was using Duac, it was also beneficial to my acne but it discoloured my favourite bedsheet horribly!"

Pei Yan (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been battling acne ever since I was a teenager, and now I'm 23, still battling acne until here recently. I had heard about Differin, and how adapalene can help stubborn acne. I purchased the gel about 2 weeks ago, and I must say my breakouts are almost gone. I dealt with dryness and a burning sensation the first few days, but my skin got used to it after that. What helps is washing your face, applying moisturizer, and THEN applying the differin. This makes it less harsh for the skin. I can't wait to see how my skin will look in 2 months. Don't give up on this stuff, it's a work in progress."

Foreveryoung22 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After benzoyl peroxide made my skin worse, I was prescribed differin cream 0.1%. Results were slow at first but with maintaining a good skincare routine and healthy diet my skin showed huge improvements after about 2-3 months of use. Little side effects, some dryness but as to be expected with any acne product and easily resolved with moisturiser. Felt a lot less harsh on my skin than benzoyl peroxide. I am left with some spots and scarring but the effects have been overall brilliant. Would reccommend sticking with it for a few months to see best results!"

Jess12345 January 26, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started using differin 0.1% in November 2016, fast forward to January 2017 and I couldn't be happier! I'm 26 and have been battling with acne since I was around 13. I have tried all sorts of products and regimes and sometimes had success but it never lasted long. I had tried differin before but never stuck it out long enough to see its full benefits, this time I did and my skin is thanking me for it. I've kept my skin care regiment very simple. I use a very gentle cleanser in the morning then a benzyl peroxide 5% gel then a moisturiser on top. In the evening I use the same cleanser then the differin cream, I always allow it to soak in for at least an hour then follow up with my moisturiser. This cream takes time to work but be patient."

Mizy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Using the over the counter product for just a few weeks. Oily skin has always been a major problem. Seems to have knocked down excess skin oil big time. I apply early evening. I use it with Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with Sunscreen SPF 35. Been in the sun and no burning or dryness noted. Did the beach yesterday for about an hour, no problem. I first started using every third day after reading a number of postings. Thought I ease into it as some reported issues using daily right off the bat. No issues. Did notice dryness of the skin before using my moisturizer. Just went to every other day. The skin has calmed down and a few flare ups that were just not going away are clearing. End of the week I plan on daily use."

JoePot January 3, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Differin 3 weeks ago. Two days after getting the prescription I finally purchased the item and started treatment that night. Worst mistake ever. My skin is not sensitive at all, and I mean at all. I have literally put bleach on it and nothing has happened. Not only has using this item every other day (at bedtime) made my skin breakout, it has also: - made it extremely sensitive - caused chemical-like burns - blistered - made my oily/combo skin dry in some patches - caused my eyes (while I didn't even apply it here) get wrinkles and burn 24/7. I can't even apply creams/face masks that usually soothed my skin when it was irritated. Horrible product, should be made illegal."

Angered Abigail December 4, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"DO NOT use differin. As a result of using this lotion I developed a horrible red rash on my neck and face. 2.5 months later I am still have to apply hydrocortisone cream twice a day to keep it at bay and can't use any nice foundation or makeup. I have read several other reviews where it has happened to people and spoken to other GP's who have said they wouldn't prescribe it. IT IS NOT WORTH IT! Try anything else, but don't use this product."

Laura DB (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went on this the beginning of September. My skin had always been generally clear except for one or two pimples that would be in between my eyebrows and a small pimple that'd be on my nose or forehead. It was the same recurring pimples in the same places, and so the doctor prescribed me this. For the first week, I didn't see any improvement. Th e second week, the in between pimples came back and I could see forehead acne growing. I knew it gets worse before better, so I waited. By the end of October, I saw no improvement. I don't know what I did wrong, but my forehead was filled with pimples(whiteheads). Now, nearing December, not only have those pimples not gone away, but they are spreading and my in between eyebrow acne is back."

Sarah Wacom November 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had a horrible experience with this cream. my face is so painfully dry even in the spots I didn't put the cream. my eyes, the crease under my lip, my nose and the corners of my lips are so dry there is now even blisters developing. It hurts to put anything on besides coconut oil but that's not helping and I am at a loss."

kathrynmacd November 8, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had too many pimples all over my face. They were little ones, and black heads as well. I live in one of the hottest countries in the world where the sun is available throughout the year. Sandstorms occur often which made dirts stick to my face and produce more pimples. I went to the dermatologist he prescribed Differin 0.1 and Bepantene (whatever how it spells). I've been using differin since August nightly before I sleep. Now in November I literally have zero pimples in my face and the redness is gone. I'm really satisfied. Literally all you need in patience for results. Bepantene was prescribed for me for the scars and as a moisturiser, since differin drys the face (just a little). Even tho I don't have ac I highly recommend it."

Kabdalaziz (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started differin almost 2 months ago. I had some cystic on the chin and some pimples on the cheeks before starting differin (i.e, mild acne). 3 weeks after starting differin, I started to get a bunch of whiteheads on one side of my cheek. It wasn't that noticeable until 1-2 weeks (4-5 weeks in) that the whiteheads became incredibly noticeable - very raised, incredibly itchy. The whiteheads eventually became pimples, meaning that I had 5-6 pimples in this little patch. Worst acne I have ever had (I am assuming this is the initial breakout period). 8 weeks on differin now, and that one side and spot of my cheek that had all those whiteheads has cleared up >50%. Can't wait to see what happens in the next 2 weeks! Hopefully acne free!"

Tee2346 October 22, 2016