User Reviews for Differin

Acne
7.4

Summary of Differin reviews 7.4 165 reviews

Reviews for Differin

For Acne "This medication is okay. When I first started, I had maybe 3-4 active cystic zits. It got better after the week, and then all my acne broke loose. I had probably 10-12 painful, raging zits. It was horrible. I pushed through because I knew it was going to get worse before it got better. It did get better, but not in the way I like. I am back to having 3-4 cystic pimples, but now I have a bunch of scars, hyperpigmentation, and leftover cysts. Differin really only made my initial breakout better, rather than fix my acne overall. It may work for you, but it did NOT work for me."

Emma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2018

For Acne "So I have been using differin for the past few weeks and I see somewhat an improvement but I also see a lot of more pimples and i don’t know what to do , do I keep using Differin on it or not . These pimples are making me so insecure about my self and I don’t like it ."

Keilolz June 21, 2018

For Acne "I've dealt with acne since my early teens. Tried many prescriptions and OTC remedies to no avail. Now that I am in my 30s and taking skin care much more seriously I decided to try Differin again since it's available OTC along with the face wash. I use the face wash every morning and night and the gel every night. I got the normal side effects in the beginning dryness and some peeling and redness but I didn't let that deter me. Now I am going into week 7 and am beginning to see the difference. I still get little breakouts but it's nowhere near as bad as before. Persistence with this medication is key. Give it time to work. I can tell that my skin tone is becoming much more even. My old scars are starting to fade. For the first time since my early teens I am confident in my skin."

Britt (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

For Acne "January 2017 through to June of 2017 I used Differin gel (that was still on a prescription at that time) and it pretty much cleared up my acne and faded my scars in those 6 months of use. I stopped using it until November 2017 when my skin started getting bad again and by that time Differin had switched to over-the-counter. I used it November 2017 through the end of May 2018 and saw no results in those 7 months AT ALL. I wondered why Differin had worked before on my skin and not this time. I went to the dermatologist the beginning of June 2018 was prescribed Veltin gel along with minocycline and it has worked like magic on my skin!!"

Brooklyn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 15, 2018

For Acne "I’m so sad. Today marks 12 weeks for me and my acne has steadily grown worse each week. It’s as though I’m using no medication at all. Painful new cysts form every day, still. I really regret trying this. I have PCOS and have had acne for about 25 years now. It was fairly well controlled for years after I started using salicylic acid 2% and benzoyl peroxide 10% twice a day. Still, I had red marks that took a long time to heal, and I’m getting older with sun damage etc, so I tried a retinoid. It’s not working for me and I could cry, my hopes were so high."

DH (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

For Acne "I’ve been struggling with adult hormonal acne for awhile now, I would always break out on my jaw line and have tried everything. I saw a post about Differin gel and some good experiences with it so I decided to give it a try. I started using the product in lasts December. By mid January my face was clear. And it has continued to work. I use it faithfully every night. I did experience very dry skin in the beginning but I found a great face lotion to help with that. I recommend this product to anyone struggling with acne"

Marie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2018

For Acne "I've always suffered from acne and couldn't find anything that worked well. I saw Differin online and decided to give it a try--after all, this hormonal acne has been with me since I was a teen and I am now in my 50s. The first and second week of use was awful. Whiteheads were all over my face! I was so ashamed to go out. Now I am in week 3 of using Differin and I am glad to say my skin is clearing up! It's smooth and glowy and the break outs are clearing up. Dead skin rolls off my face, revealing new improved skin! My complexion is starting to smooth out and the dark spots are fading. I purchased the full line of Differin products and I like how everything works together. Please stick with the routine: Cleanse and use gel at night, apply moisturizer as necessary, and be determined and patient with the process. It really does work! For me, I had nothing loose since nothing worked anyway. It was best to give it a try!"

ShellyB (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

For Acne "I used prescription Retin-A in high school for acne so I’m familiar with retinoids and how to use them. I stopped using them a few years ago but still get mild acne (I’m 22 now). Went to CVS for acne wash and discovered Differin. Been using it for about a month and noticed full benefits. I still use antibacterial facewash so that helps too, but my acne is totally gone and skin is slightly more even and lighter. Pretty much experienced all the same things I did with Retin-A, but my skin adjusted to Differin super quickly and I had very little irritation. I doubt everyones experience would be like this and it’ll suck for the first few weeks. For me Differin has become a staple for my basic skincare routine. & to the makers of it, THANK YOU for getting a retinoid approved to be OTC! Great product."

Garrett (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2018

For Acne "Differin is revolutionary. I'm 30 years old with nearly 20 years of hard acne. I spent my teens caking my face in make-up and buying anything with a promise. Anyone who got close to me would keep it a secret due to my skin condition. In the end, I believed that no one would ever know my “real face” (or they would surely turn to stone!) Then everything changed. I have been using Differin for 3 years, once before bed. I needed patience and persistence for 1 year until my skin achieved the glowing complexion stage. Every-side effect possible hit me hard. But now my confidence is booming! If you really have had acne be the bane of your existence, then you will know that life has no quick fixes and that any product yielding great powers comes with responsibilities (avoid UV; be flexible--adapt dosage to need; splash sweat and tears away with plenty of cool water; chose sateen pillow cases and a good fragrance-free face balm). I think Differin will always work for those who really need it!"

Mireille Badara-LaCavaliere (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2018

For Acne "I've always had hormonal acne--started when I was in my teens. I'm now in my 50s and it hasn't stopped! I tried so many products and I wash my face morning and night, but by the middle of a month, the big cystic acne and whiteheads return. I just began my Differin regimen-- face wash, gel(0.1%), moisturizer, and sunscreen. My skin is in the "irritation" phase--feels irritated and slightly burns when heat or sunlight hit it. I noticed the cystic acne quickly turned into whiteheads (looks really ugly) but I see it works fast! I'm going to keep up the routine..face wash morning + sunscreen-- which reduces the irritating feeling I experience-- then face wash and moisturizer at night, which is soothing for me. I'll get better skin yet!"

Shelly (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

For Acne "I never thought I’d be leaving a review about a product that helped clear my acne but here I am doing exactly that. I’ve had oily acne prone skin for as long as I can remember and at 42 it was still going strong! I mostly get deep blocked pores on the back of my neck that become really inflamed and turn into massive red lumps that rarely come to a head and linger for ages and my back was a similar story. After many trips to the doctors over the years proved fruitless and after my latest breakout I’d almost given up but after another search through google I decided to give Differin a go. Well I’m not gonna lie it’s been a bumpy road, no pun intended, but after around 10 weeks things are really starting to clear up! The purge at the start nearly got me to quit several times but I thought what the hell you’ll get spots whether you stick with it or not so give it a chance. I’m glad I did, this isn’t a quick fix it’s more of a long haul type of gig but I’m now seeing very good results!"

Adiosacne May 11, 2018

For Acne "I developed "adult" acne and nothing else was working anymore until this. I spent about 40$ for the first purchase (I bought the bigger size and still have half left after 2 months) and have been using it for 2 months consistently. Quit all your other products except for wipes to remove makeup. Trust the process, it can get worse before it gets better because it draws all the junk out. Just push through because it's so worth it. My skin is nice and clear and I can finally wear lighter foundation instead of laying it on to hide my breakouts."

Ash (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

For Acne "I’ve been using this product for about 4 months now, and it really does help your skin and I recommend you use it at night before you go bed. For me the only side-effect I’ve had was SUPER dry and flakey skin, that’s the only downside to this product I try to mosturize my face right after I get out of the shower in the morning, and then I put on my makeup. Somedays in the morning even though I do mosturize, I put on my makeup and when I’m done I realize it looks like I have a bread because that’s how dry your skin gets. But if you do remember to moisturize it won’t be as bad."

Rachel (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

For Acne "I’ve been using Differin for 5 weeks almost and it’s made me break out horribly. This is the worse my skin has ever been"

B (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

For Acne "I recommend this product to anyone. The result are amazing, for better results used it at night time. Works better if you avoid exposure to the sun, if you used it during the day and you have exposure to the sun will cause black spots. You don't need to use too much otherwise using more than need it will cause you dryness, you can apply moisturizer on top to avoid dry skin but it really works"

NINA (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2018

For Acne "100% clear one day after using it, nothing has ever worked this good and I’ve tried EVERYTHING, organic, diy, face masks, healing Aztec clay, rose hip oil, tee tree oil, proactive and acne free, this is by far the best."

Amy, 22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Acne "So I wanted to try this because it was once a prescription medicine and I wasn’t having any luck with other OTC brands. I read reviews and thought “oh it can’t be THAT bad” (with the side effects) but let me tell you I was WRONG. Day one isn’t bad, day 2 a breeze but by day 4/5 my face was raw and super dry as anything. My skin has never flaked in my life & I looked like a man with a beard. Anything including extremely sensitive lotion BURNED my face. Even tears burned the hell out of my face. The drug works quickly and It does work getting rid of blemishes. In my opinion the side effects isn’t worth it to me. I stopped applying the drug to me face and I’m unsure whether I’ll start up again in a few days. My face needs a rest!"

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

For Acne "I am passing my second full week of using Differin. I am 64 years old and have always had some type of breakout issue, clogged pores and some enlarged pores for as long as I can remember. My skin was relatively wrinkle free prior to using. Anyway, the clogged pores on my chin are much improved as are the bumps on my forehead. The pores on my nose are greatly diminished. The slight wrinkles I had are just about gone as the retinoid also provides a gradual skin peel. I am anxious to see final results after 12 weeks of use. I think I will probably use it 3 days per week thereafter. Just remember to moisturize and use sunscreen! I’m also curious if this product can be used on the under eye area. Anyone have an answer on that one?"

cottagekat February 13, 2018

For Acne "STICK TO IT!!!! I did and my skin looks amazing. At first I saw more acne, especially white heads. I also got really dry skin but I moisturized all the time and it relieved it. You can also get burning irritating skin but don't give up. Eventually you seen your skin clear, even toned and tighter. I also noticed some of my fine lines gone. I know you might want to give up but DON'T. I'm 50 years old and I never had pimples until the past two years. Nothing worked. I went to the dermatologist, got prescription meds but the only thing that worked was this product."

Pinkapplelace December 15, 2017

For Acne "I've been using this product (Adapalene 0.1% gel) for 13 months now. I had a lot of small zits on my forehead and a good amount of acne on one of my cheeks. The first week or so is the worst, it dries your skin and is very painful. After a month, you start getting huge cysts and under the skin pimples, especially in the areas where there were little zits before. It's embarrassing, but push through. After about three months, my skin started clearing up. I still use this product daily, and my skin is better than before I started for sure. Around my period I get more acne, but it goes away quickly. This product is not a fun process, but it works decently in the long run. Make sure you invest in a good moisturizer to use daily."

madipetr (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 26, 2017

For Acne "So I think people should be aware that there are two products and two percentages. There is a cream and a gel. There are also a 0.1% and 0.3%. The one sold in the store is 0.1%. BenzaClin was leaving me with little bumps on my head (I'm athletic and it started to create fungus on my head) while prescription retinol gel was just making me red and puffy. I tried the 0.1% gel from Walmart. I was aware it would take awhile so I gave it two months to work. My skin looks so much better now. I use Neutrogena anti-wrinkle moisturizing on top of it. I'm guessing if it's like any retinol product you have to build into using higher percentage, at this point I could probably ask my doctor for 0.3% but I figure why mess with a good thing."

alaskalady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2017

For Acne "My acne was moderate, I went to the doctor and tried birth control to help & the first 3 months on birth control made it 100 times worse, I stuck with it though & then got on a prescription topical which I had an allergic reaction to. I tried so many different face washes, then finally a family friend recommended differin. I found it for $20-25 I think? My skin cleared up in a week. I still have some small under the skin spots around my chin / mouth but easily covered up by make up. No more cystic acne! I recommend everyone to try this. I have before and after pictures that I wish I could attached because the difference is insane."

Hayleygoltare November 24, 2017

For Acne "I used this ONE TIME before sleeping. I put on moisturizer about 5 times the next day, and my face still hurt. Today is the second day after using this product, and my face still hurts, is red, and is puffy after applying moisturizer another five times today. I don't think its supposed to hurt this bad, even if there is a purging process. I would not recommend this product."

Em2222 November 10, 2017

For Acne "This is definitely not the same Differin Gel that the doctor prescribed years ago. Don't expect the same results from the over-the-counter Differin Gel. The products are not the same!!!"

KamecoGirl November 8, 2017

For Acne "For a while I was struggling with the worst most painful acne of my life. I bought a tube of Differin for $15 and within a week inflammation was down and things were looking good. 2 months into it I don't have a single pimple on my face. I only wash my face once every 3 days to help prevent over drying and every night I remove my makeup, use a micellar water, apply a layer of Differin, and then an oil mixture to moisturize. I've found that facial oil rather than a moisturizer increases the effectiveness of Differin, it almost seals it close to the skin at night. Wouldn't recommend Differin to everyone, but it worked wonders for me. Its all about patience and dedication."

Dirgni451 November 8, 2017