User Reviews for Differin

Acne
7.2

Summary of Differin reviews 7.2 186 reviews

Reviews for Differin

For Acne "I have to wonder if people leaving reviews are paid to do so or get some benefit out of it because differin is terrible for me. I've been using it for a few days shy of two months and it has not helped AT ALL. It creates NEW cystic acne in places I NEVER had it before. All over my forehead and the sides of my face. The stupid wash they tell you to use also burns while using differin and makes my skin oily as hell. I am so embarrassed to leave the house and all I can do is cry. Thanks for nothing!!!!!!!"

Kitty October 12, 2018

For Acne "I purchased this product after seeing the commercial for it several times. I had tried everything OTC and thought that this might actually work.. it didn’t. I’ve had moderate acne for about 5 years, and it always comes in spurts. I really didn’t notice anything the first week of using it. In the second week I noticed my acne getting worse, and by the third week my acne was unbearable. I had the worst acne of my life and so I finally did research because I hadn’t before I started. All the reviews I read said that it gets worse before it gets better, but usually starts really working after a month or so. I decided to stick with it and kept hoping it would get better. It didn’t. After 12 weeks of using it my acne was awful. I had developed more scars than I ever had before. I threw it away and went back to my old routine. My face started clearing up right away. Everyone has different reactions, but I wouldn’t recommend this product to any of my friends."

Car September 25, 2018

For Acne "Tried this for half a year. It has caused permanent scarring and leathery bumpy skin that won't heal. I've been off it for weeks and my skin is still ruined. "

Nobody5555 September 23, 2018

For Acne "I started using Differin at night before I went to bed. I would wash my face with mild facial aloe soap, rinse and pat dry before applying the Differin. In the morning I would rinse my face with warm water and pat dry. Things were okay for the first 1-2 weeks, but then I started to break out with multiple whiteheads on my cheeks and temple areas. They would come up in multiples overnight. It was causing me to have more acne that was painful so I quit using it after one more week. I waited for 2 weeks and applied it again but again the pimples started again so I quit it permanently. It causes some people to have more acne."

Jrome (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

For Acne "I had been breaking out like I NEVER had before this past summer. I had continuous acne on my chin and around my nose, which later spread to bumps all on my cheeks and forehead. I was later diagnosed with a severe case of folliculitis. After using the differin face wash, gel (once a day) and the moisturizer at night, I found that my face is clearer than it has been in a longgg time. I experienced some dryness in areas, but my skin looks better than I could have expected in such a short amount of time. I definitely recommend this product :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

For Acne "How embarrassing to have to even write how horrible this product is! I tried it for 3 months and it burned my skin"

Halley5ED (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

For Acne "This product is horrible! Please save your money. The commercial is not real and this is just another attempt to get you to buy a product that does not work! Very deceiving and disappointing! It actually makes your skin worse! The best thing to do for acne or wrinkles is see a dermatologist!"

Wontubmyneighbor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2018

For Acne "I foolishly purchased this without reading any reviews. By the fourth day of use I broke out, what they refer to as purging, all over my face. I have OCD and pick so you can imagine what I looked like! I threw it away."

Lucylou (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Acne "I had been suffering from acne for about 6 years. I didn’t have severe acne but I had it pretty bad. I tired a series of regimes, products and prescription medications. Things would work temporarily along with monthly facials and peels. Nothing cleared it fully! I’ve now been using Differin for about 3 months and my face has never looked clearer. I receive a lot of compliments on my face now. Even the acne scares that have are lighter or gone. This medication is the real deal!"

Al (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2018

For Acne "I started on Differin in hopes of clearing out my skin. My acne before differin was pretty moderate with relatively clear skin with moderate breakouts here and there. Week 0-2 nothing really happened until the end where I started to get multiple mini bumps on my forehead (but it didn't result in any whiteheads yet). As I progressed through week 2-12 my acne got worse each week and the places I would break out would differ week by week, but mainly concentrated around my cheeks and forehead and it would be mainly whiteheads. I'm currently on week 14 and I was really hoping that my skin would clear up but it hasn't. Just beware when using this since you might end up with way worse skin than what you started with."

Dani (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2018

For Acne "I first started using the 0.1 gel with Aczone for the first 10 weeks of use. I had been using aczone for a few years prior and pretty sure it wasn’t working anymore, and all the differin did was make me constantly breakout throughout those 10 weeks (keep in mind I had mild acne when I first started) Finally at 10 weeks I switched to the 0.3 gel (night time) and clindamycin phosphate 1% gel (morning and night), and now I am starting to see improvement. I’ve been using that combination for the past 3 weeks and currently only have 1 active tiny little pimple as opposed to the multiple I had 3 weeks prior. My face is currently red, peeling, and burning from increasing the dosage as it gets use to it, but I didn’t have anymore of a purge then the active pimples I had before switching. If anything, my face is dramatically clearer since switching. I’ve also cleaned out all facial moisturizers/make up and have switched to silicone and oil free to help keep my pores unclogged."

LJA0324 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

For Acne "I’ve only been using this gel for a month now and I’ve noticed a big difference. I never had bad acne but I did get hormonal acne on my cheeks and jawline. After the first use I never got a pimple and still haven’t gotten a new pimple. I also never purged or peeled. I recommend using a mild fragrance free hydrating cleanser and using a deep moisturizer(Cerave is good). I think the reason people get so irritated by it is because their face cleanser is already too harsh with acne fighting ingredients and they don’t moisturize. I haven’t seen a noticeable improvement with my scars but I have no active acne."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

For Acne "I've suffered from acne off and on through my life. Usually brought on by poor diet and/or stress. I have been experiencing a breakout lately, so I decided to try Differin gel, since it was new. After just a few days, I have zero acne and I even noticed a few acne scars are unexpectedly fading away. I have tried numerous acne treatments, both natural and medications. They either dry out my skin too much or bleach my clothes and towels. I am very happy with Differin gel and I'm hoping my acne continues to be well controlled on this medication."

32amrak (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For Acne "Horrible I’ve been using it for about a week now and my skin has cleared up a bit but then I woke up one morning and had terrible burns on my nose, cheeks , and under my eyes. It has been burning badly and hard for me to sleep. I wouldn’t recommend it. NOT GOOD FOR MY SKIN."

Aries (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For Acne "Pleasantly surprised by how well this worked! I had been experiencing serious congestion and clogged pores mainly around the mouth and jaw, so I initially went the route of trying to fix my hormones. I switched birth control and went on Spironolactone which helped but my pores were still continually getting clogged. This stuff really returned my skin and pores to their normal state. I still get issues here and there but I can genuinely say this made the biggest difference in my skin."

S (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2018

For Acne "I have been using Differing for about two months. I use the face wash and the moisturizer at night. Using the moisturizer, I did not experience the dry, flakey skin others have. My acne is definitely better. I am able to use less makeup and less concealer now."

Jules August 12, 2018

For Acne "I’ve only been on this for about a week and a half and it started working immediately for me. It made me purge within the first few days but I can definitely tell that it’s working. My skin now looks clearer and less congested. I am still getting spots (I get moderate whiteheads on my forehead and around my nose and I get nodules on my chin. I am a teenager btw) but I'm hoping that this will continue to make my skin improve. I am squeezing my spots which I know u shouldn't do but I'm pretty sure this gel makes it heal super quick and it makes marks fade quite quickly. Apart from the marks and few spots I am still getting, my face looks a lot clearer already. I would say that my acne was moderate before I started the treatment and it got a lot worse within the first few days but things are now looking up"

Anonymous August 8, 2018

For Acne "I had good teenage skin, mild acne in my 20s (controlled with occasional benzoyl peroxide), dull skin @age 35 (so began Elizabeth Arden's 8-hour ointment - not meant for face, but what a glow it gave me!) and painful noticeable nodular-cystic acne affecting T-zone face area @age 36. I stopped 8-hour cream, needled the nodules (leaving skin unevenness), used Oxy-10, Lenovate & Isotrex gel. Age 37: all failed, so I changed to: - Differin: acne continued in initial "purge". After 6 wks, significant reduction in number + size + pain of nodules & cysts. After 7 mnths, dryness & some white flaking (despite cetomacrogyl emollient) but fewer, infrequent + mild breakouts - not painful nodules/cysts. - Zinplex - milk reduction. Instead eat yoghurt + cheese. Observational studies support this. - bread & caffeine reduction. I stopped eating store bread and instead make my own with wholegrains. I eat bread less! I drink water/ herbal infusions. Not an evidence-based approach."

Perseverance (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2018

For Acne "I believe it was a combination of IUD, stress and hormone changes (pregnancy almost 4 yrs ago) that ruined my face over a period of 3 years. My forehead, cheeks and chin had lots of pimples. I turned 30 six months ago. 10 months ago I got a spot on my face that was the worst in my life that it wouldn't even surface for me to pop. It wouldn't go away after 2 months, so I decided to see a dermatologist. She put me on oral doxycycline for a month, with topical clindamycin for nighttime, and Differin gel for daytime. On top of the meds, cold weather and dry heat inside buildings at the time was making my skin burned so badly. Then, I figured out that putting lots of good gentle, plain lotion right after washing my face really helped. Sunscreen was super important. Now I continue to use Differin to help with hyperpigmentation since I couldn't help picking on my face when I wasn't supposed to! No more pimples. My skin keeps getting better day by day. Remember to apply lotion after washing your face!"

itworks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2018

For Acne "This was an absolutely awful product for me. It made my face burn, cannot use the skin products you’re used to using. It will make you get HUGE red marks all over your face because of how inflamed it makes your face. It does not assist in fading scars, your face will look AWFUL even if you do go through with the full product for the 6 month MINIMUM span. Absolutely ridiculous! It will cause cystic acne all over & will lower your self esteem rather than fix the acne! My recommendation? Go to your local doctor & get a prescription for pills that will help your acne! 3 months in, my friends face is very clear,I will take her recommendation! Awful product"

thiccboy5666 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2018

For Acne "I am SO happy I took a chance on Differin. I'm 26 almost 27. I didn't have acne growing up, but as an adult fighting PCOS, I often find myself dealing with breakouts. It's embarrassing, to say the least. I also have eczema which makes finding a solution nearly impossible. I can't even wear makeup without an eczema attack! The first 24 hours: I bought the Differin gel and the soothing rapid hydration moisturizer. Based on other reviews I opted to put a thin layer over my entire face rather than as a spot treatment. A part of me expected to wake up with swollen eyes and a very red face. To my amazement Differin not only reduced my acne by half overnight, it didn't irritate my skin AT ALL! I applied the moisturizer 30 minutes after applying the gel as suggested by previous users. My face is always dry with red patches, but this product truly brought it back to life. I am thoroughly excited to see the results over the next few weeks. I highly suggest this product!"

Andi July 21, 2018

For Acne "This medication is okay. When I first started, I had maybe 3-4 active cystic zits. It got better after the week, and then all my acne broke loose. I had probably 10-12 painful, raging zits. It was horrible. I pushed through because I knew it was going to get worse before it got better. It did get better, but not in the way I like. I am back to having 3-4 cystic pimples, but now I have a bunch of scars, hyperpigmentation, and leftover cysts. Differin really only made my initial breakout better, rather than fix my acne overall. It may work for you, but it did NOT work for me."

Emma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2018

For Acne "So I have been using differin for the past few weeks and I see somewhat an improvement but I also see a lot of more pimples and i don’t know what to do , do I keep using Differin on it or not . These pimples are making me so insecure about my self and I don’t like it ."

Keilolz June 21, 2018

For Acne "I've dealt with acne since my early teens. Tried many prescriptions and OTC remedies to no avail. Now that I am in my 30s and taking skin care much more seriously I decided to try Differin again since it's available OTC along with the face wash. I use the face wash every morning and night and the gel every night. I got the normal side effects in the beginning dryness and some peeling and redness but I didn't let that deter me. Now I am going into week 7 and am beginning to see the difference. I still get little breakouts but it's nowhere near as bad as before. Persistence with this medication is key. Give it time to work. I can tell that my skin tone is becoming much more even. My old scars are starting to fade. For the first time since my early teens I am confident in my skin."

Britt (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

For Acne "January 2017 through to June of 2017 I used Differin gel (that was still on a prescription at that time) and it pretty much cleared up my acne and faded my scars in those 6 months of use. I stopped using it until November 2017 when my skin started getting bad again and by that time Differin had switched to over-the-counter. I used it November 2017 through the end of May 2018 and saw no results in those 7 months AT ALL. I wondered why Differin had worked before on my skin and not this time. I went to the dermatologist the beginning of June 2018 was prescribed Veltin gel along with minocycline and it has worked like magic on my skin!!"

Brooklyn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 15, 2018