User Reviews for Adapalene topical

Also known as: Differin, Plixda

Acne

Summary of Adapalene reviews 7.0 329 reviews

Reviews for Adapalene

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "This product is awful and has made my life hell for the last 11 weeks. I am a 30 year old with mild comedonal acne on my cheeks. Other products haven't worked for me so after a LOT of research I decided to give Differin a try. I knew I would experience redness, drying and a purging period where my acne would get worse and that its normal. I read hours of reviews where people told me to stick with it until the 12 week mark. I am 3 days away from that mark and my face has NEVER looked or felt this bad in my life. I have painful red pustules popping up every night and continued redness and drying despite constant moisturizing. It's bad enough I have adult acne and that I've been trying to stick it out with this product for 12 weeks but this product has made it SO MUCH WORSE!! I will be sure to tell everyone I know NEVER to use it. I am embarrassed and upset I wasted my time and money for the last 3 months to make my face look worse. Not only that but now I have SCARS all over as well."

Care2232 December 9, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I'm reporting back after not knowing whether to keep using this product or not...for 2.5 months I had acne for the first time in my life because of Differin! The skin "purging" never got better. The bleeding from just washing my face left spots that took forever to heal.My face hurt for weeks. Red flaky areas around my mouth, I'd itch and get tingles. I had a million bumps under my skin, uneven leathery burnt skin. I stopped using the differin and now it's been 2 weeks of washing with antibacterial soap/charcoal bar, applying hydrogen peroxide as a toner and then 2 drops tea tree oil mixed with salicylic acid clarifying moisturizer and my face is super soft, all my dry skin patches are gone, I have no pimples, no blackheads. Very upset I wasted my time thinking this product would work. ***THE ONLY THING I would recommend it for is fine lines and wrinkles (I'm 32) and it does wonders to apply to forehead and laugh lines with no irritation. Hope others find this useful."

WTF (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I had clear skin more or less until I was 18, then my skin broke out sooo bad and I had spots all over the lower sides of my face for so long. I tried literally everything. At 19 I tried differin, aware that my skin might get worse for a bit from the reviews I had read. The purge was pretty bad. By skin was red raw, flakey and so dry. It brought out all the spots from under my skin and didn’t seem like it was going to get better: the spots under my skin were still there but the surface of my skin was so fragile. I decided to squeeze all my spots on my face (risky I know). The scars lasted maybe like 4 months, but the spots stopped spreading after I did that and kept applying the differin. Now my skin is so much better. I maybe get 1 tiny spot every two weeks instead of waking up with about 3 new spots a day. Differin was definitely a long-term solution for me."

Luce December 3, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for : "Starting using Differin (suggestion from derm) to fade some hyperpigmentation and to reduce fine lines. My skin has never been so smooth and it also reduced pore size. I had been debating botox for my furrow lines between my eyes and they're gone after using differin. The hyperpigmentation is noticeably lighter too. I did go through a phase of slightly dry red skin but used Vit V & E with Clinique Dramatically Different gel. Worked perfectly . Truth be told, I tried differin 14yrs ago by prescription when I was 19/20yo with pretty bad hormonal acne and it didn't work but now in my mid 30's, its a dream!!"

Porter (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "My dermatologist told me I should try differin since it would work the same as the prescription gel that worked wonders for my skin. After a few weeks of use, my skin broke out SO bad. I had at least 3-4 painful, deep and red pimples on my face at all times along with many bumps on my forehead and cheeks. I knew though that both medications I went on had a purge stage where my skin got bad, so I kept using it. Finally, I have been using differin for almost 2 months and my skin is clear and smooth again. My scars are beginning to fade again and I'm praying it stays this way. My tips are to keep up with using differin, and only use a small amount. Like very small. Too much made my skin so itchy and red, and wasn't effective. Besides the 3 weeks of terrible skin, I think retinoids work very well for mild acne with a bit of patience and chugging tons of water each day."

Madi November 29, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I get occasional zits and "breakouts" but not acne...not until I started using Differin!!! I have been washing my face with charcoal face wash/antibacterial soap then applying Differin once a day at the same time each night for 2 months waiting for my skin to stop "purging". My entire face minus my forehead area is covered with small bumps. And my face never seems to clear up. My skin hurts and looks uneven. It's just horrible. It says it could take 8 weeks to work so I don't know whether to give it more time or just stop using this product altogether!"

WTF (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I decided to give differin a try after seeing the commercials. BIG MISTAKE! I have been using this product once a day for a week and have broke out! I have an incredibly large zit right above my lip and my skin is so dry. I bought mosturizer thinking that would help but it didn't. I have flaky skin all around my nose and even around my lips. Do not buy this product I promise you'll regret it!"

Cici (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I don’t know why, but for whatever reason, I’m the only person who became an oil factory after using the gel cleanser. Everyone is talking about how harsh and drying it is, causing burns and flakes and what not. I experienced none of that. It made my face feel soft, and seemed to really help speed up the healing of a few popped zits that I had when I began using it. But within 3 days I realized my skin was literally greasy to the touch, which is something I’ve never experienced ever. I’ve never really understood what oily skin even meant until now. I’ve always been boarderline dry but mostly normal, but after a week of use I could take my fingers and swipe them under my eyes and around my nose, and instantly my hand would be shiny, greasy, and most disturbing of all, really smelly. The oil created literally smelled like a perm!! I tried to push through, but I started getting black heads everywhere, which is also something I’ve never dealt with. No thank you Differin!"

Zoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "Sadly, I am here to report back after posting a 10 star rating months ago. After using this product (first 1%, then Rx) for 6 months, my skin was AMAZING. I had never felt confidence like that in decades. 2 months of glory... and things sloooowly started falling apart. I have changed nothing in my skin care routine, and now I'm a year into it and I'm calling it quits. Yes, I do find it fades scars super quickly and softens wrinkles, but my acne is back and I can visually see all the congested bumps of each pore (they WERE empty!). The disappointment is paramount. Also, as it does thin the skin, if I so much as scratch at an itch on my face I then have a wound that then must heal, scar, and fade. My soul is tired."

ChT (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2018

For Acne: "If you hate someone badly and that person is having acne then please suggest him this gel.. I bet you nothing could be better revenge than this.. but you have to do it secretly otherwise you may be charged with criminal penal offences"

Anonymous November 4, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I have religiously been applying Differin to my face for 12 weeks now hoping every week that my acne will finally diminish. Instead, Differin has left me in the same position I was 12 weeks ago. My acne is still inflamed and doesn't seem to be going away. All that I got out of this gel was a 3 week phase that only made my acne 'worse before it gets better' when in fact, it never got better. I know that this gel works on some people, but for me and a lot of others, it did nothing."

G (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I am almost 32. Don't have acne but I get occasional breakouts. Proactive was the ONLY treatment that worked to clear and even out my skin but it's so expensive, I'm always running out of the toner before I'm finished with the 3 steps, and it's not readily available in all stores. Tried antibacterial washes, benzoyl peroxide products, acne kits...still had the occasional pimple. Tried baking soda and apple cider vinegar which is what led me to differin. ACV purges your pores so my entire face was covered in tiny pimples under my skin. After the first day of using Differin I saw results ,it had only been one day but I could tell the breakout from the ACV wasn't worsening. Day 4 I have no pimples but I noticed my face by the sides of my mouth was dry and red. Day 6 the peeling. Almost like using retin A but not even close to severe dryness. Says side effects should subside but in all honesty this product is not complicated to use, results are fast."

NBP November 2, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "Dermatologist recommended Differin (for anti aging) when I ran out of Retin-A, since my insurance doesn’t cover Retin-A. My skin has never been perfect, but I had not had cystic acne in over years. Within 2 days of starting Differin I had 2 cystic acne spots. Stopped using it for 2.5 weeks, and my spots finally cleared up. Started it again, and within 2 days, I have another new cystic spot. Will not try a third time."

Fed Up (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I decided to give Differin a try. I started with the occasional cystic bump, mostly hormonal. As stated in disclaimer after two weeks my face broke out. Then as the weeks progressed it was clearer and smoother. By week 8 to 10 it never looked better. Now it has started to break out all over again, bad. Worse then it's ever been. I'm at week 12 and I don't know whether to continue or give up. Help!"

Sharon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I have to wonder if people leaving reviews are paid to do so or get some benefit out of it because differin is terrible for me. I've been using it for a few days shy of two months and it has not helped AT ALL. It creates NEW cystic acne in places I NEVER had it before. All over my forehead and the sides of my face. The stupid wash they tell you to use also burns while using differin and makes my skin oily as hell. I am so embarrassed to leave the house and all I can do is cry. Thanks for nothing!!!!!!!"

Kitty October 12, 2018

For Acne: "Tried using Differin gel 2 different times. The first time, I broke out in bad , cystic acne after 2 weeks. Assuming this was a "purge period", I kept using the gel a few more weeks. I had to stop due to painful, unsightly cysts on my face. Yes, I followed the directions and tried to be patient. When I stopped using the gel my skin began to clear a bit. I attempted using the gel again and experienced the same painful cysts on my face. For me, Differin does not work."

Texas girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

For Acne: "This is really good for skin."

Tatay (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018

For Acne: "Treating bacterial and hormonal acne I decided to try Differin. Went through the purge process and it continued for 5 months .,. With no progress. Works wonderful for some but for me not so much. I came off it and went on Acnecide with 5 % peroxide using in combination with Salicylic acid toner and face wash . Been on it 3 days and my skins really clearing up . Couldn’t be happier"

Meg October 7, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I purchased this product after seeing the commercial for it several times. I had tried everything OTC and thought that this might actually work.. it didn’t. I’ve had moderate acne for about 5 years, and it always comes in spurts. I really didn’t notice anything the first week of using it. In the second week I noticed my acne getting worse, and by the third week my acne was unbearable. I had the worst acne of my life and so I finally did research because I hadn’t before I started. All the reviews I read said that it gets worse before it gets better, but usually starts really working after a month or so. I decided to stick with it and kept hoping it would get better. It didn’t. After 12 weeks of using it my acne was awful. I had developed more scars than I ever had before. I threw it away and went back to my old routine. My face started clearing up right away. Everyone has different reactions, but I wouldn’t recommend this product to any of my friends."

Car September 25, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "Tried this for half a year. It has caused permanent scarring and leathery bumpy skin that won't heal. I've been off it for weeks and my skin is still ruined. "

Nobody5555 September 23, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I started using Differin at night before I went to bed. I would wash my face with mild facial aloe soap, rinse and pat dry before applying the Differin. In the morning I would rinse my face with warm water and pat dry. Things were okay for the first 1-2 weeks, but then I started to break out with multiple whiteheads on my cheeks and temple areas. They would come up in multiples overnight. It was causing me to have more acne that was painful so I quit using it after one more week. I waited for 2 weeks and applied it again but again the pimples started again so I quit it permanently. It causes some people to have more acne."

Jrome (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I had been breaking out like I NEVER had before this past summer. I had continuous acne on my chin and around my nose, which later spread to bumps all on my cheeks and forehead. I was later diagnosed with a severe case of folliculitis. After using the differin face wash, gel (once a day) and the moisturizer at night, I found that my face is clearer than it has been in a longgg time. I experienced some dryness in areas, but my skin looks better than I could have expected in such a short amount of time. I definitely recommend this product :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "How embarrassing to have to even write how horrible this product is! I tried it for 3 months and it burned my skin"

Halley5ED (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "This product is horrible! Please save your money. The commercial is not real and this is just another attempt to get you to buy a product that does not work! Very deceiving and disappointing! It actually makes your skin worse! The best thing to do for acne or wrinkles is see a dermatologist!"

Wontubmyneighbor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2018

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I foolishly purchased this without reading any reviews. By the fourth day of use I broke out, what they refer to as purging, all over my face. I have OCD and pick so you can imagine what I looked like! I threw it away."

Lucylou (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018