User Reviews for Adapalene

Also known as: Differin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Adapalene.

Acne
7.2

Summary of Adapalene reviews 7.2 252 reviews

Reviews for Adapalene

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I've been using this product (Adapalene 0.1% gel) for 13 months now. I had a lot of small zits on my forehead and a good amount of acne on one of my cheeks. The first week or so is the worst, it dries your skin and is very painful. After a month, you start getting huge cysts and under the skin pimples, especially in the areas where there were little zits before. It's embarrassing, but push through. After about three months, my skin started clearing up. I still use this product daily, and my skin is better than before I started for sure. Around my period I get more acne, but it goes away quickly. This product is not a fun process, but it works decently in the long run. Make sure you invest in a good moisturizer to use daily."

madipetr (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "So I think people should be aware that there are two products and two percentages. There is a cream and a gel. There are also a 0.1% and 0.3%. The one sold in the store is 0.1%. BenzaClin was leaving me with little bumps on my head (I'm athletic and it started to create fungus on my head) while prescription retinol gel was just making me red and puffy. I tried the 0.1% gel from Walmart. I was aware it would take awhile so I gave it two months to work. My skin looks so much better now. I use Neutrogena anti-wrinkle moisturizing on top of it. I'm guessing if it's like any retinol product you have to build into using higher percentage, at this point I could probably ask my doctor for 0.3% but I figure why mess with a good thing."

alaskalady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "My acne was moderate, I went to the doctor and tried birth control to help & the first 3 months on birth control made it 100 times worse, I stuck with it though & then got on a prescription topical which I had an allergic reaction to. I tried so many different face washes, then finally a family friend recommended differin. I found it for $20-25 I think? My skin cleared up in a week. I still have some small under the skin spots around my chin / mouth but easily covered up by make up. No more cystic acne! I recommend everyone to try this. I have before and after pictures that I wish I could attached because the difference is insane."

Hayleygoltare November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I used this ONE TIME before sleeping. I put on moisturizer about 5 times the next day, and my face still hurt. Today is the second day after using this product, and my face still hurts, is red, and is puffy after applying moisturizer another five times today. I don't think its supposed to hurt this bad, even if there is a purging process. I would not recommend this product."

Em2222 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "This is definitely not the same Differin Gel that the doctor prescribed years ago. Don't expect the same results from the over-the-counter Differin Gel. The products are not the same!!!"

KamecoGirl November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "For a while I was struggling with the worst most painful acne of my life. I bought a tube of Differin for $15 and within a week inflammation was down and things were looking good. 2 months into it I don't have a single pimple on my face. I only wash my face once every 3 days to help prevent over drying and every night I remove my makeup, use a micellar water, apply a layer of Differin, and then an oil mixture to moisturize. I've found that facial oil rather than a moisturizer increases the effectiveness of Differin, it almost seals it close to the skin at night. Wouldn't recommend Differin to everyone, but it worked wonders for me. Its all about patience and dedication."

Dirgni451 November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I have been on this gel (1%) for 7 weeks now. I have had hormonal acne since 12, I am now 29. My doctor had me start with using it twice a week, then 3x a week, etc. Yes, there was a purge and yes, it does seem to be still purging. The fact is that I'm seeing improvement. I will not be stopping this treatment as nothing has worked like this before (you name it, I've tried it). I would say I'm seeing 65% improvement at this point. A huge plus is that I also have notice scars fading, wrinkles softened, and any wounds from picking definitely heal much faster. Lotion morning and night, and cerave foaming cleanser. My skin hasn't been this healthy in a long time."

ChelT November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "Follow the instructions and heed the words of the people who have used it before, and I feel like there's no reason Differin won't work for you. I've had problems with adult/hormonal acne for awhile now, and this is the first and only thing that has made a seriously noticeable improvement. My skin did do the "purge" before it got better, but I just gave it some time like the instructions and other users said, and in about 3-4 weeks I noticed serious improvements in my skin. It looks MUCH better than it has in years. If you're not a patient person and will give up when the purge happens, then don't waste your money."

KaraM81 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I have been using Differin for over 4 months now and at first my skin was okay. It got rid of most pimples but there was never not one time where my face was completely flawless but now my acne is worse than its ever been. I feel like this happens to me with most products. It works at first and then makes my skin horrible. I am going to give Benzoyl Peroxide a try."

userrr1945 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "This gel has been a life saver! I went off birth control last August. My acne was out of control. I tried differin and I noticed a change immediately. I've been on it since August 26th. It's now October 14th and my skin is clear and glowing. I even went off of it for a week to see if there would be a difference and all my acne did come back gradually... so I recommend this to anyone willing to try a new acne cream!! I'm Canadian and I go out of my way to pick it up in the US when I visit. My only complaint is that my skin is a little dry, just moisturize an hour after application to reduce sensitivity."

KARAROSE13 October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I tried a lot of things for my acne and none of them had worked before differin gel. It's irritating to have acne at 34 years old. I didn't think anything would help. Differin gel was affordable and I could get it at Walmart so I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. This is the first thing that worked for me. You only need a very small amount and you only need to apply it once a day. Any more than that and it will burn your skin. It's a small tube but but it lasts a long time. I would highly recommend it."

MomOf5K34 October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been using Adapalene since the beginning of August and my skin is terrible! I haven't had breakouts like this since high school (I'm 32). Blackheads and cysts everywhere. I've never had a problem with those in particular. This is month 3 and I'm just ready to give up on it. I'm also taking 100mg Minocycline. I'm not sure if it's the combination together or just one. I don't want to continue using this and would not recommend to anyone."

NurseBama October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "My face was actually looking pretty good for a while. I wanted to totally clear my face so I got on proactiv MD with adapalene gel 1%. So far it has only made my face break out more. I’ve been using it for about 3 weeks now. What should I do?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Its been almost a month and It's making my acne worse. Worst in my forehead area. I've been having acne for almost 4 years and didn't try any medication. I started using this as directed by the dermatologist. To say the truth I'm tired of answering the same question people ask me everyday. Whats wrong with your face!!! But Honestly I feel although my acne is getting worse my face is lightning up and it's much softer than before. So I know it's working out. I'm having new breakouts everyday but I clearly see a difference others fail to see. So I'm hoping to continue this as I think it will work out sooner as I have also seen reviews. Sweating will make your face itchy if this is applied causing more breakouts."

D.D.D October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I've only been using this gel for a few days and I can see a major difference. I have very sensitive skin so when I saw the reviews I got a little nervous, so when I tried it I was ready for red skin and rashes, but nothing happened. Within the next few days I saw a major improvement, which shocked me! I've used a lot of acne treatments and none of them worked, but within the first couple of days I could see my pimples going away! I don't think this is supposed to help with blackheads or whiteheads, but this is still totally worth it! And who knows maybe if I keep using it, it will help with them. I highly recommend this product to anyone with acne problems!"

Sabby C October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "It works magic!! The first two weeks, I had outbreaks and my skin was terribly dry. I even considered quitting it. However, my friend is a doctor and he advised me to stick to it. It's one month now and at the moment I don't have any more new pimples. My skin has never been so clear before. Depending your condition, I use it together with Clindamycine lotion 1% FNA, an antibiotic topical liquid, during the day to clear up any localized bacteria. I'm so happy now and but I hope I can stop using it after a few months. Anyone with post treatment experience to share is appreciated."

Tuan_tran (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "At first when I used it, it was really terrible. My skin got worse and I also got dry patches all over my face and it made me less confident seriously! But I have been using it for almost 2 months now, I can really see the difference on my face. I've already read a lot of reviews, some said that when you use it for about 6 months then you'll see the perfect results. And that's what I'm actually trying to do. My skin is not the best for now ,but I'm sure it will eventually be gone. Thanks to adapalene! And this was actually recommended by my dermatologist. My skin has a lot of whiteheads going on on my forehead and chin but it really lessen up."

Hi hehe (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am a guy with a moderate acne case and oily skin. Since 2nd year high school, I'm already suffering from acne. Now that I am 24 and working, these pimples are making me less confident. Sometimes, I don't want to go to work anymore. I have tried a lot of OTC products to eliminate pimples but none of them worked. It is already my 1 month and 5 days using adapalene 0.3 gel and to be honest, it's making my acne even worse. I'm having a lot of acne in my cheeks especially on my forehead which never happened to me before. However, I am still using it. Am gonna give time for it to work on me since I am reading a lot of reviews advising to just wait. Btw, I am using cetaphil gentle skin cleanser as my facial wash. Will keep you guys posted!"

LettuceBoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "Excellent product. Cleared my acne in 1 week. You have to follow the instructions to avoid skin irritation and limit Sun exposure."

LeeGood1 August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had been using products that contained benzoyl peroxide to control my acne. When I heard that the FDA had approved adapalene for over-the-counter sales I said that I should give it a try - it used to be a prescription drug so it must be good. WRONG! I used Differin for over two weeks and all of the while my acne got continuously worse. So, I went back to benzoyl peroxide."

DAP37 (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I needed to share an honest review. I got differin to get rid of these stubborn invisible pimples around my chin. Basically they're clogged pores. They appeared even though I wash my face daily and nightly and exfoliate regularly with expensive products. Then I found differin. I've been on it about 3 weeks now. Although I have gotten breakouts all over, my forehead is it's clearest it's been. The pores on my cheeks are getting smaller and clearer. My nose has practically no problem areas anymore. The invisible pimples/clogged pores are subsiding dramatically. I am getting breakouts in those areas but my face looks radiant anyway."

Cheetos August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "My doctor prescribed this to me for my cystic acne that I've been having for years now and it has given me low self-esteem and low confidence, but after being on this for 3 months there is a CLEAR difference in my skin. I don't really break out anymore unless its that time of the month and I did not go through a purge face personally, but my acne remained in the same condition for about a month and a half of using the medicine. So my advice is just to be patient, stick to ONE facial routine and do your research on the products you are using. The results are definitely worth the wait. You can do it! And try to stay off antibiotics because they are internally harmful over long periods of time and they will break you out once you come off them."

Bryton August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I began to have breakouts after the mastectomies...had to take hormonal pills. I tried so many things, went to dermotologist and tried stuff. What really worked was a skin regimen and taking a low does antibiotic (doxycycline) Then my daughter told me about Differin. I have been on this for almost 3 months. There has been some good clearing up, dry patches where the blemishes were. My face is very oily and so this didn't bother me. I never moisturize because of the oil..all of them make my skin break out even more. Expect to have some breakouts as you get used to this. I am almost down to the wire, things are clearing up slowly but surely. Medicare doesn't not cover lots of meds like this so OTC"

wirewizard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "Love this stuff!! I have been using it for a month and my skin is less oily and definitely starting to look clear. I am still in the purging phase. Keep sticking it out though. I still get breakouts during that time of the month, but they are not too bad. I occasionally get cycstic acne, I believe I only get them when I accidentally have gluten. Differin helps the breakouts for sure!"

Aq25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: "I used this acne gel before. First time by itself. It irritated my skin. My skin was red, dry and patchy. I stopped, thinking maybe this was like a reaction. To later find out, it takes a little while to get used to. But as for the second time, I used the whole range. The cleanser, the gel, and the moisturizer. Then I started to see the difference everyone has been raving about. It has been only 3 weeks, but my skin is softer and less patchier. My forehead acne has completely gone away. But my chin cystic acne is apparent. But it had definitely gotten smaller. However, this product made me break out like never before. Basically my whole face, became a white head central. But it is working. My acne marks, scars, acne are less apparent."

SorryNotSorry August 5, 2017