User Reviews for Adapalene topical (Page 2)

Also known as: Differin, Plixda

Acne 6.5

Reviews for Adapalene topical

gg · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “Differin doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me. The purging phase lasted about 2 months, but now my cheeks and chin are smooth and the scars are healing. To get the best results: 1. Wash you face once at night with a mild, non-acne treatment wash. I use Glossier Milk Jelly. 2. Dry your face with a paper towel. If you research how much bacteria lives in your towel, this will make sense.. 3. Put Differin on your face (don't over do it.. Use a small pea-size amount for the whole surface). Let it sit on your face without moisturizer for a few mins. 4. YOU MUST USE A STRONG MOISTURIZER, right after you use Differin and the morning after as well. This made all the difference. I wasn't doing this at first and it changed everything and allowed my skin to heal. I used Weleda Skin Food. It's a little pricey so sometimes I rotated it with Clinique Dramatically Different Lotion. They did the job! 5. Once a week I'd use a gentle exfoliater to get rid of the skin coming off.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I tried everything especially pills to get rid of acne but nothing worked . If you start using the wash and gel , you see results quickly . Also, a good foundation for your skin if you wear makeup like Clinique! But differin actually works good”

sis · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 16, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I’ve been using the differin adapalene gel for a year now, along with the differin moisturizer. I have also been using the new cleanser, since it came out. Differin for me started out horribly. My skin burned, peeled, then purged and it was awful but afterwards it got better. However, the gel is NOT a miracle product. It does work to heal breakouts faster, however it does not prevent them. I struggle with acne on the face, chest, shoulders, and back. I would recommend the cleanser 100% for the face, and I would recommend the gel to people with mild acne on the face. I think if benzoyl peroxide could be sold higher than 10% and they had that, it would be better for the body, as it does make breakouts smaller and helps them heal faster, but for me it feels like a waste of time and product for the body. The moisturizer is great. **If you have dry and/or sensitive skin, I do not recommend the gel for you!!**”

ahboycat January 14, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I had mild to moderate acne. By that I mean 3-4 active blemishes at any one time. But the marks they leave behind had accumulated since they take so much longer to disappear so I decided to do something about it. I have been using adapelene 0.1% for about 6 weeks now. But for the first 3 weeks I only used it twice a week. My skin cleared up completely. For the past 3 weeks I have increased the frequency to every other night. For the first two weeks my skin wasn't showing much changes. Now it is the third week into this new routine and I am experiencing dryness and irritation around the eyes and mouth. These dry patches would burn slightly when I apply moisturiser or sunscreen. Not the best feeling in the world but bearable. 5 new blemishes have also started popping up. 3 of these were actually small comedones that never really surfaced until now. I suspect the other two were microcomedones deep within. This is a difficult stage but I am determined to power through.”

Bowdie January 12, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “In November 2019, I noticed a couple of breakouts (one or two per week) on my left cheek and decided to use this product. It’s week 7 and my acne is SO bad. I started out with one big papule on my left cheek and one pustule. Clear everywhere else. At the moment everything is inflamed (7 weeks in) and I have 3 big papules, 1 pastule and 1 cystic pimple on my left cheek, 2 papules on my right cheek, 1 papule on my forehead, and 3 cystic pimples on my chin. Plus I’m left with deep red marks from all of these pimples. I haven’t changed my skincare routine, same birth control, etc. so I know differin has had a bad effect on my skin. I do however have no blackheads on my nose and chin which I used to have a lot of. Still hoping that it might get better. Pretty much given up as you should start seeing improvement by week 8 and my skin won’t be looking like week 1 or better any time soon. However, it may work for you! Just beware as the “purge” ruined my skin!”

Ash · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “Starting from age 15 till now age 33 I’ve fought the good fight against acne. Nothing worked. I saw a dermatologist and was prescribed differin gel. The first four applications or so, all good. After that, peeling and pain. I thought about pushing on but I decided clear skin wasn’t worth that much pain. I stopped using it after 6 applications, but it took a few weeks for the pain and peeling to stop. After that, I suddenly had terrible acne. I had it in places I had never had it before. My face was covered. After a couple of months, my face returned to semi-normal acne levels. I decided to try to treat the acne at its source, so I got a small tube of benzoyl peroxide and applied it. It was like a miracle cure. Overnight I had clear skin for the first time in years. I use it every few days. I recommend it to anyone suffering like I was!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “No effect whatsoever after 2+ months. I had irritated & dry skin for the first month, which I expected and afterwards it stabilized.”

Sam f · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “Been using for months works so well to get rid of acne!! Love!!”

Jena · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I personally used differin by the recommendation of my dermatologist but it didn’t help and it caused to my skin redness.”

howell December 21, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I’m 20 years years old and have had break outs since I was about 16. I don’t necessarily have acne, but very bad break outs, mostly hormonal. I started doing research and found differin gel. Now, the reviews were extremely scattered. I saw plenty of good and bad reviews. I went out and got this gel at my local walmart. The first 1-2 weeks were completely fine,no difference in my skin at all. The 3-4 week mark hit, I was breaking out BAD. PAINFUL HUGE PIMPLES and my skin was dry too. I kept pushing and continued to use it, even though my confidence was out the window, I even struggled with wanting to leave my house. I’m on the 8 week mark right now, and my skin looks pretty damn good. Scarring, a few active spots. I like this product A LOT. I’m not even at the full 12 weeks yet and things are looking up for sure. If you have the patience to go through the terrible purging phase, then get this product. KEEP GOING, DO NOT STOP. IT WILL BE WORTH IT.”

Channie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I had started using it about a year ago. Used for six weeks before my skin started to clear up a bit. That’s where it went downhill... I started to break out even worse and it was almost as if my skin started to become immune to it so I stop using it. Just recently started using it again, and as I suspected my skin started to clear up a bit but I can already feel the effects reversing. I hope others have better luck than I did”

Racergrl15 December 17, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I've been using differin for 3 months. I'm 40 yrs old and have had acne my whole life. I also ND help with pigmentation and oiliness ,this is suppose to help. I started using it at night and morning. I never had any dryness or irritation. It has not helped my pigmentation at all. I think it has helped my current acne slightly and has definitely helped the oiliness on my cheek area decreasing my pore size. Didn't help oil and any other area. I notice that when I am using this I do not get any new breakouts. If I miss days I will feel a pimple coming under the skin and it may be a little red but as long as I put this on it as soon as I feel it, it disappears and never makes it to the surface. Differin is the only medication that has ever done that. I must say this is the best product I've used.”

Kristine · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “If you have sensitive skin don't use this it made me break out in cystic painful acne I think it's the paraben in the medication”

Skye December 15, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “Do not use this especially if your acne isn’t very bad. I would get a few spots around my mouth nothing much and when I used Differin it make huge red ones come up all over my face. I continued to use it for another 2 months as it’s supposed to get worse first but it never did get better and never worked and put me through lots of pain. Now I am stuck with dark scarring and texture all over my cheeks. I was using a recommended moisturiser so I don’t blame the products I put with it. Differin ruined my face completely I do not recommend”

Jen · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 13, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I used Differin for about 1.5 years. The reason I started it was I had entered my 40's I wanted something that would help with skin texture and some painful cystic acne. I never had a retinization period or experienced any purge, but now after more than a year into it I am calling it quits on the advice of my aesthetician and dermatologist, both whom never recommend adapalene to their patients (I think that says something). It has dried out my skin to the point where my skin is over compensating for the oil that is being stripped away (and I have naturally oily skin), thus, making my pores look HUGE and oily. If you are over 30, I suggest not to use this, as it will dry out aging skin, even with moisturizer. This stuff pretty much destroyed my moisture barrier over time and now I'm left with trying to repair it and all the effects from it.”

Christine · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “The purge I experienced lasted in two different waves from end of week 2 to week 6. Yikes. However, the acne from it was no worse than what I had been dealing with already on some of my worse breakouts. I seemed to be able to combat inflammation by using a benzoyl peroxide face wash and aloe vera gel as part of my routine. For me personally, dryness and skin flaking was far worse than the purge. It took about 7 weeks for my skin to adjust to adapalene, and even with two moisturizers layered on, I had the worst dryness and slight irritation. That said, once I hit 8 weeks, noticeable improvements started happening. About half of my comedones are gone, dryness is now manageable, and hyperpigmentation scars are starting to fade a little bit. I expect all of these areas to keep improving now that I'm getting closer to the 12 week mark. This was a process that had growing pains, but I am so glad to have stuck with it. Be patient, it will reward you!”

Kale November 27, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I've been using differin for a little over 2 months now. I was struggling with hormonal breakouts and closed comedones for a long time, and decided to go for it, because nothing else was really helping. I got rid of everything in my skincare routine with SA or glycolic acid in it and simplified it just to double cleansing with mild cleanser, a moisturizing gel and differin. I definitely had a purging phase, my skin looked the worse I ever remember it looking, I had acne all over my cheeks. I had a breakout of literally 8-9 cysts clustered on my chin. It made me feel really self conscious! However, I'm starting to see some real improvement, I'm not getting as many comedones, and the ones I did have mostly vanished. The acne I do get though, is kinda painful and appears on places I normally would never breakout in, like my temples. I realize it's a little early to be making judgements on it, but I feel confident that I'll continue to see more improvements with time”

T · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “Words cannot describe how much this has changed my life. I’m now 40 years old and my skins looks the best it’s ever looked. I’ve tried every product under the sun from prescriptions to over the counter for 20 years. Nothing ever worked. Finally I realized that Differin was available OTC, so I had nothing to lose. After about 6 weeks I noticed my acne slowly started subsiding. After about 12 weeks, I noticed my hyperpigmentation was starting to fade. And now, after about 6 months, I’ve noticed my old acne scars are starting to smooth out. Is this some sort of miracle gel? For me it is. Because it gave me my confidence back. I can now look in the mirror every morning and not be ashamed of my skin. So thank you Differin for a wonderful product.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I have suffered with cystic acne on and off for years. In the past benzoyl peroxide and lymcacycle tablets have helped but following a recent terrible period of cysts on my chin I was recommended Differin. I have been using Differin for 6 weeks and can honestly say, even with the Purge in mind, my acne is the worst it has been in 20 years. My chin is a mess of scars, bumps, new cysts every week. I get that over a longer period it may help but like other reviewers on this site I'm simply not prepared to put up with this any longer and will return to Benzoyl peroxide. I just hope I can get back to where I was which was the odd cyst. Be careful what you wish for!”

Hilbean · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “UPDATE: I had to quit. Just a quick reiteration of my back story: I had been benzoyl peroxide for a long while with ok results. I still would have 2-3 zits on my face sometimes (mostly around my time of the month) but looking back it wasn't too bad. I just started to notice my skin was looking dull and congested so thought I needed to change up. My dermatologist suggested Differin last time I saw her, so after much research I decided to give it a try. I knew there was going to be a purge phase so I thought I was prepared. I was not. TODAY: I look like I have a disease on my face. After week 8 and seeing no improvement and suddenly developing itchiness that was driving me crazy, I made an emergency appointment with my dermatologist. I am now on 3 medications to counteract the effects of differin. It may work for some but unfortunately I was not one of those people. I regret it so much. Please be cautious, because I now have months of recovery ahead of me.”

jurbs · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 20, 2019

For Acne: “I'm in the middle. I had already been using a steady face care routine when I started adapalene. I mainly bought it to try to keep the big cystic bumps away and to improve texture. I didn't have any retinization period and my skin tolerated it very well. However, I would say it didn't work any better than the benzoyl peroxide I had been using already. I am now battling some rosacea and my skin looks ruddy, so it certainly doesn't help to smooth the skin texture at all. In all, I think it works for helping acne on a moderate level, but it really has zero anti-aging abilities and doesn't do anything for the texture of skin.”

Li · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “My face was so clear and suddenly I got acne all over my forehead, very small bumps. My dermatologist prescribed this to me and its amazing it's week 3 and the bumps are almost gone and my face is glowing and old acne marks are lighter. Everything is great, I think I'll continue using this for a while ”

Courtb6 November 17, 2019

For Acne: “I purchased Differin gel at walmart in addition to the equate version of a proactive kit (facial cleanser, toner, moisturizer). Before buying these I've had terrible acne on my cheeks, especially my right cheek, and my face is super oily and it's amplified due to stress. I started following the Equate cleaning kit instructions and added the Differin gel after the toner step in the morning. I will say that the first week my acne seemed to get worse. I'm now in the third week of using the gel with the cleaning kit and I will say that my face has shown a huge amount of progress. My face is not nearly as oily as it was before. EVERY DAY and hydrate with water.”

CS_mom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “I have used Retinol for years, recently switched and gave Differin a try. I purged, and then waited, and waited. My skin was a mess for months. I couldn’t ever get it happy or calm, even after the purge period. Deep cystic acne combined with these weird superficial blemishes that I’ve never had. This is honestly one of the worst products I’ve ever used for my occasional hormonal acne and fine lines. I’ll stick with glycolic acid and retinol from now on.”

notrealname · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2019

Differin (adapalene) for Acne: “A bit of a backstory- earlier this year I started breaking out quite badly with cystic acne all over my forehead and chin. I was prescribed benzoyl peroxide, which cleared my face completely in a matter of months. However, everything came back when I stopped treatment. This time, however, benzoyl peroxide did not help, so I was prescribed Differin cream, about 8 weeks ago. I introduced it gradually, trying to avoid the dreaded "purge". My forehead and chin did clear up, mostly; however, I noticed that with the cream, the marks that are left after the inflammation take significantly longer to fade, and I have been getting acne in places where I haven't before. Overall, its effect is evident, and it does keep (most of) the violent cysts at bay, but my face is still far from clear.”