User Reviews for Adapalene topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Differin, Plixda

Adapalene Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 389 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Adapalene

Lilu June 23, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "DO NOT TAKE THIS. The reviews are all true. I was using tazorac on my skin for years, then my insurance wouldn’t cover it. Without the tazorac I started breaking out here and there, with maybe one pimple every couple of weeks on my cheeks or low alongside my jaw. I decided to try differing because the tazorac costs around $500 (or more) without insurance when it used to cost around $20, so I figured I’d try something new. I started using differin about 4-5 weeks ago. For a couple days, my skin did start to clear up a bit. And then... I started getting pimples - and I mean large, very noticeable red ones - literally all over my face in random places where I have NEVER gotten pimples before IN MY LIFE. right now there are 3-4 total at the top of my forehead, 4-5 on each cheek - it’s the worst my skin has ever looked. It’s the large cystic kind that leave scabs, too, and I’ve never ever gotten those. I’ve always just had “one here or there.”"

Nina · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2019

"I am in my 40s and have had bad acne since I was 12. This adapalene actually works! I had some skin flaking around my mouth and nose which was annoying but it went away after 3 weeks. I just used an ultra moisturizing lotion to help get through that process. Now my skin is beautiful. I have never had clear skin like this before."

nick June 11, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "I have mixed feelings about whether I would recommend this to other people. I am on week 13 & my skin is totally clear and has been for 10 days. However, my skin was extremely bad throughout the entire first 3 months using Differin. The purging was worse than anything I have ever experienced & particularly gruesome-looking. I actually felt like I couldn't leave the house. Also, this would happen very seriously in concentrated areas. As soon as one had begun to heal another would appear directly next to it, 5 times over. I now have substantial pigmentation and scarring. It's emotionally distressing not see any progress for 3 months! Throughout that time it would often suddenly look better, only to look much worse a few days later. I often mistakenly thought the purging had ended. I think Differin *works* if you persevere for 12 weeks but if I had been aware of how traumatic the purging process would be I probably would have tried alternatives."

bgurule_m · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "I used Differin Gel hoping it would help with my minor acne as well as my cystic acne. I used it on my chin and around my nose. I only used the product for 6 days before it started to dry my skin out to the point where it would peel off in several layers and then scab over. It made my skin inflamed and even lightly touching it was painful."

Sgmez · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "I've suffered from acne a lot but it went away for a while and then came back but it was very little like 4 or 5 pimples here and there I decided to start Differin because I was tired of every face cleanser not working, I knew going into this I wouldn’t see an immediate change I did my research and knew I wouldn’t see results until after about 12 weeks and I was willing to go through it. My acne became horribly bad, this is probably the worst it has ever gotten. It was very tempting to quit but I decided to just continue because maybe it will get better. By the end of the 12 weeks my acne has cleared up, BUT there is still the occasional pimples and scars but definitely not as bad as before I will continue to use it but it definitely did leave some damage that I’m hoping will clear up."

Anonymous May 28, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "So I originally started using Differin when I thought my skin care routine wasn’t working any longer. I used this product for over 4 months before finally calling it quits because I feel like it just made my face worse and never got any better. It left my face with really bad discoloration and scaring and the texture of my skin became worse as well. I have since switched back to my previous more natural and more general routine and my face has started clearing up. I was originally advised to try this from my doctor and I was hesitant because I never use products this harsh, and for my skin personally I regret it. I understand you have to go through a purging process with this product but 1. It is not worth the scaring and hyperpigmentation and 2. I don’t think you should have to push through with a product for over 4 months and still not see results. Not only did I not see results but it made my skin significantly worse than when I started the process."

VHKS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2019

"I’m 18 years old and I’ve had acne for over a year. I don’t have very bad acne, but enough for me to go to my doctor. I have used benzoylperoxide for over 12 weeks but that didn’t work for me. So my physician prescribed me Differin at night and erythromycin during the day. The first 2 weeks it seemed to help, then I went through the so called “purge” phase. My skin got better after that phase, I was at 5 weeks or so. Now I’m nearly at my 8th week and I got a mayor breakout. My skin looks just as bad as it did when I started. I’ll update when I have reached the 12 week mark to see if Differin/erythromycin will have done anything."

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "Before I started using Differin, I had a few pimples here and there. After using Differin, my entire face broke out. I went from 2 pimples to about 30 on my face. 8 weeks to see improvement is too long. Having to see your face breakout to such an extent. Not worth it!"

Paris May 4, 2019

"I been using Differin gel and Adapalene 0.3% for nearly 5 months now to treat my back acne. The Differin gel 0.1 OTC didn't do much for my acne. Since taking Adapalen 0.3 I can really see a difference. It is very pricey though as my insurance didn't want to cover it. Go to CVS and get it for $80. I tried Walmart and they wanted to make me pay $350. It should last you a few months too. Good luck all!"

anon · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "The first 2 weeks whilst using Differin my skin seemed to clear up and didn't break out as much. However, when the 3rd week of me using this treatment commenced, I woke up with leathery skin and flaky skin on my upper lip area below my lip and on the side of my lip (basically my mouth area). I'm in so much pain and I look horrible and feel horrible. I've never cried so much in my life. DO NOT buy this!"

noname · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "Never again. After a week of use, one morning I woke up and my skin was burning. I couldn't even wash it with water, it hurt me so bad. I got burn, dryness and WAY MORE acne than I have ever had. My pores were all clogged and my skin hated me. I followed all of the instructions: used very mild soothing cleanser and moisturizer, didn't use salicylic acid or anything like that, used sunscreen, only applied once a day, etc. It's awful. I thought it will improve my skin condition and acne scars but it made me look even worse. What a waste of money."

Cris · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "YOU HAVE TO STICK WITH IT FOR AT LEAST 4 MONTHS AND YOUR SKIN WILL GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. But Differin is very worth it! I see all of these bad reviews where people give a bad review and wonder if they used the product right and read how it works. It works by pushing everything in your pores out and strip your skin making your face worse for a while, but then it will clear right up. You may peel until your skin gets used to it (only took me a week) Stick with it! Not only does it get rid of the acne, I makes all of your skin better. My dark spots and redness in general gone away. My face is so much healthier. Don't leave reviews until you have given it at least 4 months, that's very important. It WILL take a while to clear up. That's how it works. I've been dealing with acne for 20 years and absolutely nothing else worked. This is the first thing that has ever worked."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "This triggered one of the worst breakouts of my life. I was using it to clear up blackheads and some minor congestion (my skin still looked pretty clear) and it broke my entire face out horrifically. I've stopped using and am now trying to clear up the breakout. :("

Donna · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "Worst decision ever!!! Made my skin so bad!!!! I was so embarrassed to leave the house! My skin never turned out so bad as when I was on differin. Even when I went to get a facial, the lady said " what are you using on your skin? I could work on you for hours!" How humiliating!"

Kenjie · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2019

"The Retinization period is bananas! I started this treatment Friday March 15 and stopped using March 17! The side effects, and I have everyone of them is painful!!!! The one time I didn't google the medication before I used it! My chest is on fire and it looks horrible! I only pray these side effects go away quickly! I read to continue using this medication even with the side effects! My chest burns just thinking about that! This is so embarrassing! I love my chest and to see it all broken out, red, and burning is so discouraging! Good luck to whomever use this medication! Just believe the side effects are real!!!!!!!"

Bear · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 20, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "My dermatologist prescribed this before it was OTC and it may have been a higher dose then, but it still works with the 1%. I do not have severe acne, but it is cystic especially around my menstrual cycle. What I have learned to use and what my doctor recommended was to only use dove sensitive soap with the product. I wash my face with it before I apply it. You want to be sure to use it on your entire face, not just particular spots here and there. Sometimes I could even wear it under my makeup, but at night is easiest for me, once a day. Anyways, when my skin did get really dry my solution is always Vaseline, all over your face for one night maybe two. It's messy and feels very gross but worth it. I always have baby soft skin without dryness and my wrinkles are less present after a night of this. Lastly, although I do still get cystic acne still on differin it's less often and they come out more easily if and when I do pop them. Hope this is helpful."

Z · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "This was terrible. The acne keeps coming back and you can never escape it. Honestly one of the worst products for acne. I am sure they designed it to make you spend more and more money."

Ashley February 28, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "My experience with Differin was horrible, I know they said you may get purging but believe me it’s not worth the pain and scarring caused by the purging process. Research for more natural remedies that are soothing for your skin, this product is designed to keep you buying more since you think it will get better over time. I have read reviews were some said it got better after months and then purging starting happening again so this sounds like a never ending cycle. Please beware, this is not the only acne product on the market and believe me all products don’t cause purging like this. My skin has never look this bad, I’m in the medical field and feel so embarrassed going to work with my face like this. I figured makeup will irritate my skin more so I’m trying to stick it out, I have stopped using Differin and wish I never started..."

Unsatisfied · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2019

"Started using this rubbish about 5 months ago.When I started using it, it was every 2 days due to the fact that it would burn my skin especially any area around my orbitals. After I noticed my acne progressively getting worse, I started to use it every other day as I felt that the issue was just my hormonal acne. This eventually turned to everyday. I regret it now. My face is full of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentated acne scars and the acne became worse. Moreover, I developed tiny little bumbs all over my face and millia around my nostrils and the area around my chin. My skin felt so sensitive to touch and wash and the acne hurt so bad. I consciously decided to stop using differin completely last week and go back to Duac Once Daily. I was really hoping I had found the holy grail given the effects of retinol but my skin as never looked worse and I am 29!"

Akriti · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2019

"Hello, I want to share something very important which my doctor told me to take care of while applying this gel. 1. Always use this at night time just before going to bed and within 5 mins of its application light should be turned off as this medicine makes skin light-sensitive. People who complaint about scars caused by this drug just recall if you followed it while applying the medicine or not. If not then it can cause scars. 2. The quantity of the gel to be used is only peanut size if you are applying on your full face. Don't ever make the mistake over layer you skin with this drug or you might face the severity of it. 3. After the application of the gel don't touch you face again and again in order to avoid the adverse effects. 4. Never apply it near eyes and lips area as it can cause extreme dryness."

Dru2011 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "The has been the best for my acne. I have skin issues all my life and finally at 57 l used Differ in Gel and it works great. It take about three months but please hang in there. I have used Retin-A and so many other products. I have gone to many Dermatologist, chemical peels l can't remember them all. Walmart has it for $13 or $14.00."

Momma bear · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "My 15 year old tried this after antibiotics, all natural products, diet changes, increased water intake, etc. It has only made her skin worse and looks like it is leaving scars. The first two weeks there was some improvement and then at least 10 weeks in , the acne became angrier and more frequent breakouts. Would not recommend use for hormonal cystic acne."

TicTac · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "Nope nope nope... I’m getting married soon and thought it would be a great idea to use this product and clear my minor adult acne so my skin would look nice for photos and I’ve never had my face break out so bad! My chin, cheeks, nose, and forehead are all breaking out with painful cystic acne. I know it says “wait it out” but there’s no way I’m continuing like this. Shame."

L · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2019

Differin (adapalene): "I used it over a year and then developed an extremely itchy rash on my neck. It only went away when I stopped using it. I never used it on my neck but did on my jawline. Months later tried it again and of course the rash came back. So not worth it!"

Maximus · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2019

"I’ve been using Differin (Adapalene) for about 2 and half weeks and I have began the purging stages but it is just a couple spots appearing around my face so nothing I can’t handle I can really see my pigmentation fading and my skin tone is a lot more even and healthy I think another few weeks my skin will look even better !! Stick to it "

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)