User Reviews for Acyclovir topical

Herpes Simplex
8.6

Reviews for Acyclovir topical

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Best cold sore cream I've used. Suffer from cold sores frequently and no other treatment has really worked. This, however, eases pain and stops spread and growth in just a few days. As well as this it's so cheap only a few quid. Would highly recommend it.”

Sunny · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2021

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Zovirax burnt my skin around the cold sore leaving a red mark 2-3 times larger than my cold sore! It also caused this skin to peel. My cold sore is essentially gone after approximately 6 days but now I am left with a very obvious and huge red mark. If you use this cream and it stings or burns at all when you apply it I would suggest stopping usage straight away. It says that this may be a “mild” symptom of using the cream. I wish I had stopped using it as soon as I felt the stinging sensation.”

John · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2021

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I'm from the UK, and have had cold sores all my life (40s) Zovirax is a complete waste of money. For years I used it because I believed the marketing - and i thought that cold sores just got bigger, but about 5 years ago I tried just leaving well alone. Without Zovirax, they crust faster, don't spread and heal faster and more naturally. With Zovirax, I find it burns the skin, they spread (keep popping up outside the original zone) and scar for longer. I've also not really found that Zovirax prevents them if you get there during the original tingling either. Also - the tube size is a scandal.”

Kirsty123 May 9, 2016

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I do suffer from cold sores, especially when I'm stressed. Unfortuently I don't get the tingling stage, I just wake up to a bump on my lip. For anyone that knows me, I absolutely hate cold sores! It makes me feel so crap about myself. I used to suffer really bad to the point it would spread, and it would have 3-4 coldsores on my lips very painful! Nothing would help. Until I found this cream! It is an angel from above, a God send. This cream clears my coldsores up within a day!! So next morning I wake up and it's gone, even when it's blistered, it's gone! It's expensive for a tiny tube but defiantly worth it!!”

Deedee111 November 22, 2015

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I have been suffering with cold sores for 20 years now, they usually happen once a year. I am so horrified when they happen, I take work off, and basically live in my house for 2 weeks. I came across a YouTube video after feeling a bump coming on and that's when I came across Zovirax. I thought what the heck I've tried everything else. I went to my doctor same day (thank god I got in). It cost me about 90$ but it was worth it. This stuff is a god send! My cold sore was already at the blister stage so it was day 2. Applied the cream all day for 2 days, you can't even tell I have a cold sore! There is nothing! I wish I knew about this stuff years ago. Would have saved me a lot of agony.”

Nick · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 12, 2020

For Herpes Simplex: “I have had cold sore outbreaks around my mouth since my childhood. I have tried absolutely everything (i.e. : Lipactin, Abreva and so on) and the only topical treatment I've found to be effective is acyclovir cream 5% (I buy generics). If applied early in the onset, sores typically remain small and will dry within a day or two. Before switching to acyclovir cream, an outbreak would last from 4 to 7 days. Now, 2 to 4 days is the usual. It feels like you are skipping the nasty and uncomfortable phase right after the outbreak to go straight to the "recovery" phase where the skin is healing under the dried scabs. I always carry some with me now.”

Nonie December 19, 2019

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: “There is some confusion about the cream vs. the ointment. Chemically, acyclovir is acyclovir. The only difference between the two is only the 'CARRIER' - cream vs ointment. The ointment (for genital herpes in U.S.) has polyethylene glycol, a very slippery compound used as in laxatives and for bowel prep. It has many other medical and industrial uses. Considering the small amount possibly ingested when applying to the mouth, the only reason not to use the cheaper ointment is if you are sensitive to polyethylene glycol. The cream (oral herpes/cold sores) contains mineral oil, (also a laxative) poloxamer 407, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, water, and white petrolatum. Proplylene glycol is supposedly good for skin, stops flaking, etc. Despite hours of research I can't find why cream is so expensive unless maker thinks we'll pay more for a treatment for our face vs genitals. The CREAM is the one that is SO OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!”

Cold · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I'm also from the UK and like most of the comments from the UK, the cream does not help. Again bought some and it seems to make it spread. I'm sure if I didn't use it it would not be as bad as it is this morning. Maybe there IS a difference between US and UK . I must remind myself not to bother with this again.... try something else... pity”

Lynsay · Taken for 10 years or more March 20, 2017

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “COLD SORE TREATMENTS AND PREVENTION THAT WORK: L-lysine: You can buy L-lysine over the counter in tablet form, one a day pretty much prevents cold sores from forming. If you run out of tablets make sure you buy more; it's like the virus sits inactive under the skin just waiting for a break from the L-lysine treatment so it can raise it's ugly head. ZOVIRAX: If you feel a cold sore coming on or you have a cold sore buy Zovirax from the chemist or supermarket ~$17 a tube; but you only need a little bit applied 5 or 6 times a day and the last application should be before you go to sleep (whenever you think of applying it really) Zovirax helps heal the blisters much faster than anything else l have tried. ICE OR COLD PACK: If you don't have Zovirax and the cold sore is really burning and itchy get a freezer bag or similar and put some ice in it or some frozen peas and apply that to the area until that nasty burning and itchy feeling eases. Avoid licking of playing with the blisters with your tongue, this tends to make them bigger. Pop the Blisters or Don't Pop the Blisters? This is a personal preference however, l have found that by not popping the blisters only allows the blisters to grow bigger to the point of them sometimes joining together and becoming one big blister which takes a lot longer to heal, hence, l pop the blister and apply Zovirax straight away and the majority are gone within a few days. SAFETY FIRST: DO NOT have oral sex and AVOID kissing anyone when you have an active cold sore; they do spread as quickly as a peck on the lips from someone with the active cold sore virus and wash your hands if you touch your mouth by accident, this helps prevent spreading the cold sore virus. PREVENTION: Take L-lysine 1 tablet daily and try to avoid sudden drops in temperature, excessive sun or wind. Changes in climate conditions and temperature drops can bring on the cold sore virus. Avoid rubbing your lips hard like we sometimes do to remove stubborn lipstick and avoid the hard bristles of a man's beard or regrowth, both of these things can irritate the sensitive skin on our lips. Just be mindful of the cold sore virus and it will become second nature to prevent it from occurring.”

Jemsgirl February 21, 2012

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I have been dealing with cold sores for the past 10 years. I usually would only get 2 per year during an extreme weather change. I've tried Abreva, Releev, Campho, etc.... Nothing really worked at all accept drying the area. Well this Fall and Winter season, I had 3 outbreaks and at the 3rd, I said enough is enough. I read all the reviews online and decided to go with the Zovirax ointment. I got a prescription from my dentist 1st day I noticed the tingling (prodromal stage). The meds indicate this is the best time to start applying. I applied several times the first day and the next day I woke up and hardly saw a thing on my lip. I applied the ointment about 5 times that day even tho it seemed to be gone. 3rd day GONE!!! Miracle!!”

iamasurvivoraol March 30, 2010

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: “I've been using this product for years. It's the best thing to not having an outbreak. You must catch it on the first sign though, when the tingling begins if possible. After that it will run its full course in pain at the site. I have outbreaks frequently so I should know. I have trouble controlling when I have an OUTBREAK. I control how I can deal with it when it comes.”

Jamers · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2021

For Herpes Simplex: “I 100% recommend this acyclovir prescription/treatment to anyone suffering from herpes! I was diagnosed we with herpes simplex 1, and have used abreva, valtrex, and have tried random sworn by home remedies. Abreva after by maybe day 7 started to work, valtrex after close to a week began to work, the home remedies did not work at all!!! All in all, the effectiveness of what I've tried prior to acyclovir did not impress me as much as this prescription has. I was a day into my outbreak, my lip was already swollen and bubbled. That one day in I started the cream and the next day , it had gone down 80%. It was already scabbed over and no longer pulsating! This has definitely been a blessing to me, as I am very skeptical at times when it comes to medications that says to be close to 100% effective!”

Arjun · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2020

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “The worst stuff I have ever used. It burnt and scarred my skin. The cold sore was almost invisible, and Zovirax burnt it and thee surrounding skin. It made it look awful, and made it painful, and took three weeks to heal. NEVER AGAIN, Beware!”

jpewtherer January 12, 2011

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I find this the only treatment which can nip a cold sore before it develops. If one does develop, it also eliminates the pain faster (2-3 days) than any other creams I've tried. I also discovered after more than five years of annoying outbreaks that cold sores in the summer actually came from sunburned lips. Once I started to completely cover my lips before spending time in the sun, they did not come back. Here, prevention is the key.”

Ramboo2015928 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2015

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I have tried everything, from home remedies to over the counter cold sore treatments. Well, my doctor prescribed Zovirax and since then I have been nothing but thankful. The first sign, apply the ointment. It wont make the cold sore go away immediately but by the 2nd day its dried up and within 4 days its gone. I love Zovirax.”

Very satisfied! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 8, 2015

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: “I have lived 14 years with cold sores from HSV 1, spending $20/tube on Abreva and suffering from annual break outs, some worse than others, but all embarrassing and painful! I never thought to ask for an prescfription, but coincidentally had a cold sore on my lip when I went to see my OBGYN last year. She noticed it and wrote me an Rx for Zovirax cream, and I let it sit in my wallet for a couple months until I felt the tell-tale "tingling". This stuff really works, and if you apply it early enough, the sore won't even really form or blister and will completely disappear within 3-5 days. It's amazing, and totally worth it. Do yourself a favor and get it! It was only $30, and the tube is bigger than a tube of Abreva.”

Shannon110992 February 4, 2016

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “living in UK i doubt if the ingredients are changed in zovirax here but I've been getting cold sores (mayby 10-15 a year..) since I was little and have always been using zovirax and now more commonly the compeed patches. The stuff is useless if anything it spreads it around even though I keep immaculate hygene with them, only using cotton but to apply etc. The only thing the cream seems to do is hold it at the stage its at and as soon as the cream is off for more than half a day it erupts again... I can have the cream on for ten days at a time. NOT CHEAP AND NOT EFFECTIVE. HELP”

Jzee · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Zorvirax duo honestly works wonders! As soon as I feel the tingling I lather it on and it’s gone the next day! There are also tablets that you can take but they only work if the cold sore hasn’t appeared yet and you’re only getting the tingling sensation. Just ask for them at your chemist. They’re 3 pills and you take them all at once and the cold sore doesn’t even come up. I got my lips done and I got a cold sore the next day used the cream and it was gone. I went to get them done a second time and took the tablets as a precaution and no cold sore even appeared! Love love love the cream!”

K-Pop · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2015

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Honestly one of the best treatments for HSV or coldsores around! I start feeling a cold sore coming on (a tingling, burning sensation) and on goes the Zovirax. Instant relief from the pain and the sore stops in it's tracks! Definitely worth every penny of that ”

Justmakingendsmeet1 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 30, 2017

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: “I first contracted G. Herpes and where the semen contacted my skin and I've had eruptions of horrible painful blistering sores. It's first a tingle and I immediately know... I have Valtrex but it takes longer to work even if I take it at first tingle. For my cold sores I used to get sores on my chin, but no longer. I get them on my ear... uh huh that's right. My ear and the small of my back, right where my jeans hit. Once my ear swelled up so much and my neck too, nothing helped but this cream. It stopped my chin sores (underneath where a second neck would be if I had one) altogether. My back sores happen at severe stress, ugh, abreva doesn't help. This cream does 100% for me.”

Girl December 14, 2019

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: “I have had a spot come up twice in 14 years on my index finger. Index finger on right hand, infected when worked as a dental assistant on patients. This time they prescribed this cream and I noticed a great change. You never know what you're exposed to in the medical/ dental field. Gloves still tear. But luckily they are Meds to help. This product has lessened the swelling and throbbing.”

sickgirl168 October 31, 2015

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: “I have genital herpes as well as SLE and related complications. I mention the other health issues only because the treatment for the Lupus is to suppress the immune system, which can allow the herpes virus to become more active than it would be if my immune system was not compromised. I take valacyclovir daily for suppressive treatment, but when I do have an outbreak, I always add the acyclovir ointment. I find that it eases the discomfort and helps the sores heal a little bit faster.”

ouchieee · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2017

For Herpes Simplex: “I was diagnosed with genital herpes earlier today, though the symptoms began a month ago and I mistaken it for a yeast infection. The sores started last Monday (5 days ago). The burning was so bad to the point where I had trouble walking. After applying acyclovir earlier I experienced moderate burning for a short amount of time but after sitting down for awhile I felt relief. let's hope that tomorrow the sores aren't as painful”

AmazedinCanada · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 2, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Zovirax cream is amazing. I hardly ever get an actual cold sore anymore, because I apply the cream as soon as I feel any tingle and it prevents the outbreak. Well, 3 days ago, I missed the tingle because I had a huge pimple forming on my chin, just under my lip, and it was so painful that it masked the tingle on my lip. By the time I woke up & realized what was happening, my lip had already swollen quite badly. I was horrified & thought the battle was already lost, but I immediately started applying Zovirax. My lip still swelled up to 3 times its size over the next 36 hours, but then it started to recede and never even blistered! It is now 3 days after it started & my lip is almost back to normal. I cannot believe it worked when the cold sore had already taken hold, and stopped the blisters from erupting. I love this stuff so much! It cost about $80 for a 5g tube the last time I bought it, but it lasts a long time for me. I always carry it in my purse so I am armed for battle.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Zovirax does work. The trick is to apply small amounts as soon as possible and as often as possible. The more times you apply the more chances you have of healing quicker. Applying 3 x a day just aint going to cut it. (Every hour or less if you have to)”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: “The cold sores usually don't even appear if I apply the cream at the first signs of tingling. Once, I failed to catch the tingly symptoms at the start, and only realised when my lips began to harden and split. I rushed to the pharmacy to purchase Zovirax, and I managed to dodge the embarrassing process of allowing the cold sore to fully blister and crust. I bet no one even suspected I had cold sores. I don't know why everyone is comparing prices here, but it costs approximately USD $15 for a 2g tube where I come from. Just apply a little will do, I'm not sure why someone mentioned finishing the 2g tube within 3 days. It can last me two years, before it expires. Read the directions that it comes with.”

betterdays39 November 17, 2011

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: “I got HSV-1 in 2008 from my cheating on my now ex-wife. It was never a problem until a breakout in 2010. I never went on antivirals until this breakout and I now know why this was so bad. In summer of 2010 I had neck surgery and had 4 fusions from c4-c7 and after reviewing this, the virus lies dormant in the base of the neck in nerve are called the ganglion. If you have HSV-2 (genital) herpes it lies in the lower back dormant. So, my first breakout 6 months ago in June 2011 gave me the worst ever making not only a cold sore but fever blister clusters on top and middle lip. Been on acyclovir since July 400mg twice daily. Still barely helped. 3 days ago got Zovirax cream and after 6 months its finally gone. This works awesome.”

0326 January 23, 2017

For Herpes Simplex: “I have suffered from genital herpes for 6 years and tried all herbal prevention treantments as I suffer approximately 8 outbreaks a year. For the last 6 months I have tried the acyclovir suppressive treatment and in 6 months I have had 1 very mild outbreak. After the first 4 months I went from taking the recommended 2 tablets a day to just 1 a day. I am so glad I tried acyclovir, I feel I have my life back!”