User Reviews for Acyclovir topical to treat Cold Sores

Also known as: Zovirax Cream, Zovirax Ointment

Acyclovir topical has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 47 ratings for the treatment of Cold Sores. 70% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Acyclovir topical Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Cold Sores.

Reviews for Acyclovir topical

John · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2021

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “I'm from the UK, and have had cold sores all my life (40s) Zovirax is a complete waste of money. For years I used it because I believed the marketing - and i thought that cold sores just got bigger, but about 5 years ago I tried just leaving well alone. Without Zovirax, they crust faster, don't spread and heal faster and more naturally. With Zovirax, I find it burns the skin, they spread (keep popping up outside the original zone) and scar for longer. I've also not really found that Zovirax prevents them if you get there during the original tingling either. Also - the tube size is a scandal.”

Kirsty123 May 9, 2016

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “I do suffer from cold sores, especially when I'm stressed. Unfortuently I don't get the tingling stage, I just wake up to a bump on my lip. For anyone that knows me, I absolutely hate cold sores! It makes me feel so crap about myself. I used to suffer really bad to the point it would spread, and it would have 3-4 coldsores on my lips very painful! Nothing would help. Until I found this cream! It is an angel from above, a God send. This cream clears my coldsores up within a day!! So next morning I wake up and it's gone, even when it's blistered, it's gone! It's expensive for a tiny tube but defiantly worth it!!”

Cold · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “I'm also from the UK and like most of the comments from the UK, the cream does not help. Again bought some and it seems to make it spread. I'm sure if I didn't use it it would not be as bad as it is this morning. Maybe there IS a difference between US and UK . I must remind myself not to bother with this again.... try something else... pity”

Deedee111 November 22, 2015

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “I have been suffering with cold sores for 20 years now, they usually happen once a year. I am so horrified when they happen, I take work off, and basically live in my house for 2 weeks. I came across a YouTube video after feeling a bump coming on and that's when I came across Zovirax. I thought what the heck I've tried everything else. I went to my doctor same day (thank god I got in). It cost me about 90$ but it was worth it. This stuff is a god send! My cold sore was already at the blister stage so it was day 2. Applied the cream all day for 2 days, you can't even tell I have a cold sore! There is nothing! I wish I knew about this stuff years ago. Would have saved me a lot of agony.”

Arjun · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2020

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “The worst stuff I have ever used. It burnt and scarred my skin. The cold sore was almost invisible, and Zovirax burnt it and thee surrounding skin. It made it look awful, and made it painful, and took three weeks to heal. NEVER AGAIN, Beware!”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Best cold sore cream I've used. Suffer from cold sores frequently and no other treatment has really worked. This, however, eases pain and stops spread and growth in just a few days. As well as this it's so cheap only a few quid. Would highly recommend it.”

Lynsay · Taken for 10 years or more March 20, 2017

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): “COLD SORE TREATMENTS AND PREVENTION THAT WORK: L-lysine: You can buy L-lysine over the counter in tablet form, one a day pretty much prevents cold sores from forming. If you run out of tablets make sure you buy more; it's like the virus sits inactive under the skin just waiting for a break from the L-lysine treatment so it can raise it's ugly head. ZOVIRAX: If you feel a cold sore coming on or you have a cold sore buy Zovirax from the chemist or supermarket ~$17 a tube; but you only need a little bit applied 5 or 6 times a day and the last application should be before you go to sleep (whenever you think of applying it really) Zovirax helps heal the blisters much faster than anything else l have tried. ICE OR COLD PACK: If you don't have Zovirax and the cold sore is really burning and itchy get a freezer bag or similar and put some ice in it or some frozen peas and apply that to the area until that nasty burning and itchy feeling eases. Avoid licking of playing with the blisters with your tongue, this tends to make them bigger. Pop the Blisters or Don't Pop the Blisters? This is a personal preference however, l have found that by not popping the blisters only allows the blisters to grow bigger to the point of them sometimes joining together and becoming one big blister which takes a lot longer to heal, hence, l pop the blister and apply Zovirax straight away and the majority are gone within a few days. SAFETY FIRST: DO NOT have oral sex and AVOID kissing anyone when you have an active cold sore; they do spread as quickly as a peck on the lips from someone with the active cold sore virus and wash your hands if you touch your mouth by accident, this helps prevent spreading the cold sore virus. PREVENTION: Take L-lysine 1 tablet daily and try to avoid sudden drops in temperature, excessive sun or wind. Changes in climate conditions and temperature drops can bring on the cold sore virus. Avoid rubbing your lips hard like we sometimes do to remove stubborn lipstick and avoid the hard bristles of a man's beard or regrowth, both of these things can irritate the sensitive skin on our lips. Just be mindful of the cold sore virus and it will become second nature to prevent it from occurring.”

Jemsgirl February 21, 2012

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): “I have been dealing with cold sores for the past 10 years. I usually would only get 2 per year during an extreme weather change. I've tried Abreva, Releev, Campho, etc.... Nothing really worked at all accept drying the area. Well this Fall and Winter season, I had 3 outbreaks and at the 3rd, I said enough is enough. I read all the reviews online and decided to go with the Zovirax ointment. I got a prescription from my dentist 1st day I noticed the tingling (prodromal stage). The meds indicate this is the best time to start applying. I applied several times the first day and the next day I woke up and hardly saw a thing on my lip. I applied the ointment about 5 times that day even tho it seemed to be gone. 3rd day GONE!!! Miracle!!”

jpewtherer January 12, 2011

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): “I find this the only treatment which can nip a cold sore before it develops. If one does develop, it also eliminates the pain faster (2-3 days) than any other creams I've tried. I also discovered after more than five years of annoying outbreaks that cold sores in the summer actually came from sunburned lips. Once I started to completely cover my lips before spending time in the sun, they did not come back. Here, prevention is the key.”

Sunny · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2021

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Zovirax burnt my skin around the cold sore leaving a red mark 2-3 times larger than my cold sore! It also caused this skin to peel. My cold sore is essentially gone after approximately 6 days but now I am left with a very obvious and huge red mark. If you use this cream and it stings or burns at all when you apply it I would suggest stopping usage straight away. It says that this may be a “mild” symptom of using the cream. I wish I had stopped using it as soon as I felt the stinging sensation.”

Ramboo2015928 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2015

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): “I have tried everything, from home remedies to over the counter cold sore treatments. Well, my doctor prescribed Zovirax and since then I have been nothing but thankful. The first sign, apply the ointment. It wont make the cold sore go away immediately but by the 2nd day its dried up and within 4 days its gone. I love Zovirax.”

Shannon110992 February 4, 2016

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “living in UK i doubt if the ingredients are changed in zovirax here but I've been getting cold sores (mayby 10-15 a year..) since I was little and have always been using zovirax and now more commonly the compeed patches. The stuff is useless if anything it spreads it around even though I keep immaculate hygene with them, only using cotton but to apply etc. The only thing the cream seems to do is hold it at the stage its at and as soon as the cream is off for more than half a day it erupts again... I can have the cream on for ten days at a time. NOT CHEAP AND NOT EFFECTIVE. HELP”

Jzee · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Zorvirax duo honestly works wonders! As soon as I feel the tingling I lather it on and it’s gone the next day! There are also tablets that you can take but they only work if the cold sore hasn’t appeared yet and you’re only getting the tingling sensation. Just ask for them at your chemist. They’re 3 pills and you take them all at once and the cold sore doesn’t even come up. I got my lips done and I got a cold sore the next day used the cream and it was gone. I went to get them done a second time and took the tablets as a precaution and no cold sore even appeared! Love love love the cream!”

K-Pop · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2015

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Honestly one of the best treatments for HSV or coldsores around! I start feeling a cold sore coming on (a tingling, burning sensation) and on goes the Zovirax. Instant relief from the pain and the sore stops in it's tracks! Definitely worth every penny of that ”

AmazedinCanada · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 2, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Zovirax cream is amazing. I hardly ever get an actual cold sore anymore, because I apply the cream as soon as I feel any tingle and it prevents the outbreak. Well, 3 days ago, I missed the tingle because I had a huge pimple forming on my chin, just under my lip, and it was so painful that it masked the tingle on my lip. By the time I woke up & realized what was happening, my lip had already swollen quite badly. I was horrified & thought the battle was already lost, but I immediately started applying Zovirax. My lip still swelled up to 3 times its size over the next 36 hours, but then it started to recede and never even blistered! It is now 3 days after it started & my lip is almost back to normal. I cannot believe it worked when the cold sore had already taken hold, and stopped the blisters from erupting. I love this stuff so much! It cost about $80 for a 5g tube the last time I bought it, but it lasts a long time for me. I always carry it in my purse so I am armed for battle.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Zovirax does work. The trick is to apply small amounts as soon as possible and as often as possible. The more times you apply the more chances you have of healing quicker. Applying 3 x a day just aint going to cut it. (Every hour or less if you have to)”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “The cold sores usually don't even appear if I apply the cream at the first signs of tingling. Once, I failed to catch the tingly symptoms at the start, and only realised when my lips began to harden and split. I rushed to the pharmacy to purchase Zovirax, and I managed to dodge the embarrassing process of allowing the cold sore to fully blister and crust. I bet no one even suspected I had cold sores. I don't know why everyone is comparing prices here, but it costs approximately USD $15 for a 2g tube where I come from. Just apply a little will do, I'm not sure why someone mentioned finishing the 2g tube within 3 days. It can last me two years, before it expires. Read the directions that it comes with.”

HF · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2020

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Would highly recommend giving this a go. Was diagnosed with HSV1 cold sores last year and this has by far been my best experience. Had a cold sore first appear yesterday and has pretty much already cleared up after using this Zovirax Duo a few times over the course of 24 hours. Love this stuff!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 16, 2017

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “OMG LOL extremely ridiculous how Zovirax cream expensive in USA $700 plus! Zovirax cream It costs in other countries less than $20.00 It's very sad how they take advantage of people here in USA. Less than $20. Lol same Zovirax cream. Have mercy on people and stop using them like this!”

NotSpankysGirlAnymore · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2017

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Zovirax cream has 50mg of acyclovir in it -doesn't it? It was in the contents ingredients information list. Zovirax cream is a MIRACLE CURE!! Coldsores -dab it on asap a small tiny bit -Bumps on skin like welts or hives (Shingles?) +very painful +scary looking like chicken pox -connect the bumps/dots. It's stress+anxiety like someone else said...lack of sleep+you haven't been eating since the ?other? day+working extra daysTHENnights+ little catnap sleeps+ you find junk sugar loaded snacks +even the fruit+applesauce cups+granola =huge sugar/salt +sugar drinks+ creamy sugar coffee day+night to just get through those sudden double shifts =Reactions- cold sores +hive like sores+ACNE! Omg! ZOVIRAX by prescription will save YOUR day!!! : )”

Anon5463 February 22, 2018

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Zovirax works great on cold sores. I use at first sign for a few days and it doesn't even blister. If I get a blister it doesn't get big and dries up 2 to 3 days. Abreva never worked for me. This stuff is great”

GSmith19 December 10, 2016

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Had to immediately clean it off my lips. The burning from this cream was far too intense for me. I'm 35 weeks pregnant so my immune system is already compromised. This is the worst cold sore outbreak I've had, where pills, supplements, home remedies, and Abreva hasn't helped. I pray that it clears up soon.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Okay so I always had cold sores all my life, one advise, don't use zovirex. It spreads and it leaves a nasty scar which takes ages to heal. Use ordinary Vaseline to keep it moist but only apply small amount, too much moisture can also create the cold sore to worsen. Aqueous worked for me.”

Shocked customer!!! January 22, 2021

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): “Not so much the effect but the affect of opening this packaging? I could not believe my eyes the size of 2g tube? Absolutely shocking to say the least & for £5. Once I pierced it open I could then turn the tube at least 3 times before the cream appeared. I'm sure this is a great product? But will there be enough to get rid of my problem?”

Emm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2019

“This is by far the best cold sore ingredient. The ointment+pills have worked wonders for me. I am never the person to leave reviews, but needed too for someone like you out there who's looking for a cure to Cold Sores. *ACYCLOVIR IS THE BEST*”