User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Zovirax Cream, Zovirax Ointment

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Acyclovir Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Cold Sores.

Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Cold Sores

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "Zovirax cream has 50mg of acyclovir in it -doesn't it? It was in the contents ingredients information list. Zovirax cream is a MIRACLE CURE!! Coldsores -dab it on asap a small tiny bit -Bumps on skin like welts or hives (Shingles?) +very painful +scary looking like chicken pox -connect the bumps/dots. It's stress+anxiety like someone else said...lack of sleep+you haven't been eating since the ?other? day+working extra daysTHENnights+ little catnap sleeps+ you find junk sugar loaded snacks +even the fruit+applesauce cups+granola =huge sugar/salt +sugar drinks+ creamy sugar coffee day+night to just get through those sudden double shifts =Reactions- cold sores +hive like sores+ACNE! Omg! ZOVIRAX by prescription will save YOUR day!!! : )"

NotSpankysGirlAnymore (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "I am 21 years old and just suffered from my first major breakout of cold sores in my life. It was pretty bad and I was frustrated from the unsightly sores appearing on my lips and mouth. I also had an outbreak just below my eye in the sensitive skin. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me with the Zovirax cream and I saw a lessened appearance in worst of the cold sores on my lip in less than 24 hours. While it takes time for them to heal, I definitely think this is a worthwhile drug. It cost me $45 so its not super cheap, but it really alleviated some of my symptoms. I had another cold sore forming on my lip just below the bad one and it stopped that one dead in its tracks and I already see it healing and not blistering. Worth it!"

Izz (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"You are going to love this, my small tube of aciclovir ointment costs $900. Welcome to 'Merica. Luckily my insurance covered it or I would have lots of cold sores. The stuff is marginally effective if you catch the cold sores at the right moment. I am switching over to oral hoping for better results. "

Rumple Stiltskin April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): "COLD SORE TREATMENTS AND PREVENTION THAT WORK: L-lysine: You can buy L-lysine over the counter in tablet form, one a day pretty much prevents cold sores from forming. If you run out of tablets make sure you buy more; it's like the virus sits inactive under the skin just waiting for a break from the L-lysine treatment so it can raise it's ugly head. ZOVIRAX: If you feel a cold sore coming on or you have a cold sore buy Zovirax from the chemist or supermarket ~$17 a tube; but you only need a little bit applied 5 or 6 times a day and the last application should be before you go to sleep (whenever you think of applying it really) Zovirax helps heal the blisters much faster than anything else l have tried. ICE OR COLD PACK: If you don't have Zovirax and the cold sore is really burning and itchy get a freezer bag or similar and put some ice in it or some frozen peas and apply that to the area until that nasty burning and itchy feeling eases. Avoid licking of playing with the blisters with your tongue, this tends to make them bigger. Pop the Blisters or Don't Pop the Blisters? This is a personal preference however, l have found that by not popping the blisters only allows the blisters to grow bigger to the point of them sometimes joining together and becoming one big blister which takes a lot longer to heal, hence, l pop the blister and apply Zovirax straight away and the majority are gone within a few days. SAFETY FIRST: DO NOT have oral sex and AVOID kissing anyone when you have an active cold sore; they do spread as quickly as a peck on the lips from someone with the active cold sore virus and wash your hands if you touch your mouth by accident, this helps prevent spreading the cold sore virus. PREVENTION: Take L-lysine 1 tablet daily and try to avoid sudden drops in temperature, excessive sun or wind. Changes in climate conditions and temperature drops can bring on the cold sore virus. Avoid rubbing your lips hard like we sometimes do to remove stubborn lipstick and avoid the hard bristles of a man's beard or regrowth, both of these things can irritate the sensitive skin on our lips. Just be mindful of the cold sore virus and it will become second nature to prevent it from occurring."

Lynsay (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I find that Zirvirax doesn't prevent the coldsore from appearing (even if applied at the tingly stage). But what I do find is that once the coldsore appears it's very small compared to not using it. I supplement the treatment with Lysine tablets and it keeps the blister/scab very small (about 2mm in diameter as opposed to 5-6mm) and is usually gone within two to three days rather than 1-1.5 weeks."

DB123 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "Had to immediately clean it off my lips. The burning from this cream was far too intense for me. I'm 35 weeks pregnant so my immune system is already compromised. This is the worst cold sore outbreak I've had, where pills, supplements, home remedies, and Abreva hasn't helped. I pray that it clears up soon."

GSmith19 December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "It doesn't stop a cold sore forming and doesn't stop the pain and tingling. It may however reduce the size of the cold sores"

Everlast October 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had cores as a kid and adult, in 2010 Shingles popped out on the side of my face.....bad news times 10. Acyclovir is the best, without it, well I do not want to think about that!"

Whispering Echo July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "I'm from the uk and Zovirax cost £6 which is probably $9 for a small little tube, it's rubbish, felt tingle so went straight to the shop and bought Zovirax, been applying it every 4-5 hours, 3 days later and the cold sore has blistered at side of my mouth, would of been better using tcp, it burns a bit but it does the job"

Danny boy2508 May 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "I do suffer from cold sores, especially when I'm stressed. Unfortuently I don't get the tingling stage, I just wake up to a bump on my lip. For anyone that knows me, I absolutely hate cold sores! It makes me feel so crap about myself. I used to suffer really bad to the point it would spread, and it would have 3-4 coldsores on my lips very painful! Nothing would help. Until I found this cream! It is an angel from above, a God send. This cream clears my coldsores up within a day!! So next morning I wake up and it's gone, even when it's blistered, it's gone! It's expensive for a tiny tube but defiantly worth it!!"

Kirsty123 May 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "living in UK i doubt if the ingredients are changed in zovirax here but I've been getting cold sores (mayby 10-15 a year..) since I was little and have always been using zovirax and now more commonly the compeed patches. The stuff is useless if anything it spreads it around even though I keep immaculate hygene with them, only using cotton but to apply etc. The only thing the cream seems to do is hold it at the stage its at and as soon as the cream is off for more than half a day it erupts again... I can have the cream on for ten days at a time. NOT CHEAP AND NOT EFFECTIVE. HELP"

Shannon110992 February 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "Honestly one of the best treatments for HSV or coldsores around! I start feeling a cold sore coming on (a tingling, burning sensation) and on goes the Zovirax. Instant relief from the pain and the sore stops in it's tracks! Definitely worth every penny of that "

K-Pop (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"From 6 yrs to 25 yrs I had a lot of cold sores, 25 yrs to 60 yrs hardly any, 60 yrs to 79 yrs they are more frequent, I wouldn't have suffered so much if I had Acyclovir Ointment. Applied when first noticed and the cold sores just went away."

Mr H. November 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "I have been suffering with cold sores for 20 years now, they usually happen once a year. I am so horrified when they happen, I take work off, and basically live in my house for 2 weeks. I came across a YouTube video after feeling a bump coming on and that's when I came across Zovirax. I thought what the heck I've tried everything else. I went to my doctor same day (thank god I got in). It cost me about 90$ but it was worth it. This stuff is a god send! My cold sore was already at the blister stage so it was day 2. Applied the cream all day for 2 days, you can't even tell I have a cold sore! There is nothing! I wish I knew about this stuff years ago. Would have saved me a lot of agony."

Deedee111 November 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I all ways get cold sores. I tried everything and nothing worked better then this. And the cold sores don't come as frequent after using zovirax. Gone within 2-3days if you catch while it's tingling it wouldn't show at all"

Endyia Danea (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): "I have tried everything, from home remedies to over the counter cold sore treatments. Well, my doctor prescribed Zovirax and since then I have been nothing but thankful. The first sign, apply the ointment. It wont make the cold sore go away immediately but by the 2nd day its dried up and within 4 days its gone. I love Zovirax."

Ramboo2015928 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): "I have been dealing with cold sores for the past 10 years. I usually would only get 2 per year during an extreme weather change. I've tried Abreva, Releev, Campho, etc.... Nothing really worked at all accept drying the area. Well this Fall and Winter season, I had 3 outbreaks and at the 3rd, I said enough is enough. I read all the reviews online and decided to go with the Zovirax ointment. I got a prescription from my dentist 1st day I noticed the tingling (prodromal stage). The meds indicate this is the best time to start applying. I applied several times the first day and the next day I woke up and hardly saw a thing on my lip. I applied the ointment about 5 times that day even tho it seemed to be gone. 3rd day GONE!!! Miracle!!"

Jemsgirl February 21, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Ointment (acyclovir): "I find this the only treatment which can nip a cold sore before it develops. If one does develop, it also eliminates the pain faster (2-3 days) than any other creams I've tried. I also discovered after more than five years of annoying outbreaks that cold sores in the summer actually came from sunburned lips. Once I started to completely cover my lips before spending time in the sun, they did not come back. Here, prevention is the key."

jpewtherer January 12, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "it is very effective!"

Anonymous March 18, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "Great treatment!"

Anonymous November 22, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is well worth the cost, decreases out break time and reduces pain and embarrassment."

12JULIE October 14, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax Cream (acyclovir): "When I feel a cold sore coming on (tingle) I rub it on and it stops the outbreak. Only thing is it tastes horrible; sometimes it's hard not to rub your lips around the mouth without getting some in."

Anonymous December 10, 2008