This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Urethral Stent Placement
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Urethral stent placement is a procedure to open a blockage or stricture (narrowing) of your urethra. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from your bladder out of your body. A stent is a small plastic or metal tube used to open your narrowed urethra. A urethral stent may stay in for a short or long period of time.
- Antibiotics: This medicine is given to help treat or prevent an infection caused by bacteria.
- Pain medicine: You may be given a prescription medicine to decrease pain. Do not wait until the pain is severe before you take this medicine.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider or urologist as directed:
You may need more tests or procedures. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Ask when it is okay for you to return to work or school, have sex, or do your usual activities.
Contact your healthcare provider or urologist if:
- You have pain in your lower abdomen.
- You feel like you need to urinate more often than usual.
- You have pain in the area between your anus and your genitals.
- You have pain with an erection.
- You have pain during or after sex.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- You have a fever and chills.
- You have blood or discharge in your urine.
- You have severe pain between your ribs and hips or in your lower back.
- You have trouble urinating, or pain when you urinate.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.