This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Thrombocytopenia occurs when your body does not have enough platelets. Platelets are cells that help your blood clot. Your body may not be making enough platelets, or it may be destroying too many platelets. When platelets become low, your risk for bleeding increases. Severe bleeding may become life-threatening.
WHILE YOU ARE HERE:
is a legal document that explains the tests, treatments, or procedures that you may need. Informed consent means you understand what will be done and can make decisions about what you want. You give your permission when you sign the consent form. You can have someone sign this form for you if you are not able to sign it. You have the right to understand your medical care in words you know. Before you sign the consent form, understand the risks and benefits of what will be done. Make sure all your questions are answered.
- Steroids help increase platelet production.
- Antibodies help stop the destruction or removal of platelets.
- Antifibrinolytics help prevent bleeding.
- Blood tests are done to count your platelets and time how long it takes your blood to clot. Blood tests will also show infection, kidney and liver function, and information about your overall health.
- A bone marrow biopsy will show if your bone marrow is making platelets normally.
- Platelet transfusions may be used to decrease the risk for bleeding or to stop severe bleeding.
- Surgery to remove your spleen may be needed to stop platelet destruction.
Thrombocytopenia can cause life-threatening bleeding, blood clots, heart attack, or stroke.
CARE AGREEMENT:You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.