This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Scar revision is surgery to improve the look of one or more scars. Scar revision may also help correct or fix a painful or disfiguring scar. You will still have a scar, but it will look smoother and less visible.
Seek care immediately if:
- You feel lightheaded, short of breath, and have chest pain.
- You cough up blood.
- You notice a change in your heartbeat.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You will need to return to have your stitches removed. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
- Limit activity as directed. Your healthcare provider may recommend that you avoid putting force, tension, or pressure on your surgery area. He may recommend that you limit certain activities while your incisions heal.
- Care for your wound as directed. Follow your healthcare provider's directions on how to clean and care for your wounds.
- If you had scar revision surgery on your face, keep your head elevated when you lie down. This helps to decrease swelling.
- Use cold compresses as directed to decrease swelling.
- Do not expose your scar to sunlight because it can darken your scar.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2018 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.