Generic name: Ketotifen (Ophthalmic) (kee toe TYE fen)
Brand name: Alaway Childrens Allergy, Alaway, Claritin Eye, Eye Itch Relief, GoodSense Itchy Eye, ...show all 7 brand names.TheraTears Allergy, Zaditor
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 15, 2020.
Uses of TheraTears Allergy:
- It is used to treat eye irritation.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take TheraTears Allergy?
- If you have an allergy to ketotifen or any other part of TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)).
- If you are allergic to TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)); any part of TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take TheraTears Allergy?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)) to treat contact lens irritation.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (TheraTears Allergy) best taken?
Use TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Wash hands before and after use.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Take out contact lenses before using TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)). Lenses may be put back in 10 minutes after TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)) is given. Do not put contacts back in if your eyes are irritated or infected.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Eye redness.
What are some other side effects of TheraTears Allergy?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out TheraTears Allergy?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about TheraTears Allergy (ketotifen (ophthalmic)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Thera Tears Allergy Eye Itch Relief (ketotifen ophthalmic)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.