Generic Name: collagenase (COL-a-geh-nase)
Brand Name: Santyl
Santyl ointment is used for:
Removing dead skin from wounds and burned areas.
Santyl ointment is an enzymatic debriding ointment. It works by breaking down dead skin.
Do NOT use Santyl ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Santyl ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Santyl ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Santyl ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are in very poor health
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Santyl ointment. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Products that contain mercury or silver (eg, certain antiseptics) because they may decrease Santyl ointment's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Santyl ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Santyl ointment:
Use Santyl ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cleanse the affected area as directed with normal saline or an appropriate cleanser before you apply Santyl ointment. Ask your doctor if you have questions about appropriate cleansers.
- If you are also using an antibiotic powder, apply it to the affected area before you apply Santyl ointment.
- Follow your doctor's instructions for using Santyl ointment. You may be instructed to apply it directly to the wound, or to a sterile gauze pad that will then be applied to the wound. Ask your doctor if you have questions about how to use Santyl ointment.
- Do not get Santyl ointment on the healthy skin around the affected area.
- If you miss a dose of Santyl ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Santyl ointment.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you use any other medicines on the affected area. This includes cleansers and soaking solutions. Some of these products may decrease Santyl ointments effectiveness.
- Santyl ointment should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Santyl ointment while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Santyl ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Santyl ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Santyl ointment. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); signs of infection (eg, fever, chills, or persistent sore throat).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Santyl ointment:
Store Santyl ointment below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep Santyl ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Santyl ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Santyl ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Santyl ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Santyl ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Santyl ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Santyl ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Santyl (collagenase topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating