Generic Name: Dimethyl Sulfoxide (dye meth il sul FOKS ide)
Brand Name: Rimso-50
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 6, 2020.
Uses of Rimso-50:
- It is used to ease pain, swelling, and irritation of the bladder.
- This medicine may be used on your skin for some problems caused by other drugs.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Rimso-50?
- If you have an allergy to dimethyl sulfoxide or any other part of Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide).
- If you are allergic to Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide); any part of Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Rimso-50?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have an eye exam as you have been told by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Rimso-50) best taken?
Use Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) by mouth. It is for use as a bladder rinse only.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Do not take Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) by mouth. Use on your skin only.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
For all uses of Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide):
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) is used.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Rimso-50?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
For all uses of Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide):
- Irritation where Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) is used.
- Skin odor and breath odor like a garlic-like taste has happened with Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide). This may last for up to 72 hours after you get Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Rimso-50?
- If you need to store Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Rimso-50 (dimethyl sulfoxide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: miscellaneous genitourinary tract agents
Other brands: Cryoserv