Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Requip XL:
- It is used to treat Parkinson's disease.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Requip XL?
- If you have an allergy to ropinirole or any other part of Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Requip XL?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Do not stop taking Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- If you start or stop smoking, talk with your doctor. How much drug you take may need to be changed.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not switch between different forms of Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) without first talking with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- The chance of a type of skin cancer called melanoma may be raised in people with Parkinson's disease. It is not known if Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) may also raise the chance. Have skin exams while you take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). Talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Requip XL) best taken?
Use Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- If you have a health problem like diarrhea where Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) goes through the body too quickly, you may see something that looks like the tablet in your stool. If this happens, talk with your doctor.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- If you stop taking Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), talk with your doctor. You may need to be restarted at a lower dose and raise the dose slowly.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss a few days of Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), call your doctor to find out how to restart.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, change in eyesight.
- Signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI) like blood in the urine, burning or pain when passing urine, feeling the need to pass urine often or right away, fever, lower stomach pain, or pelvic pain.
- Feeling confused.
- Strong urges that are hard to control (such as eating, gambling, sex, or spending money).
- A skin lump or growth.
- Change in color or size of a mole.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- Change in eyesight.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Mood changes.
- Change in how you act.
- Shortness of breath.
- Trouble controlling body movements that is new or worse.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Not able to focus.
- Muscle stiffness.
- Some people have fallen asleep during activities like driving, eating, or talking. Some people did not feel sleepy and felt alert right before falling asleep. This has happened up to 1 year after Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) was started. If you fall asleep during activities, do not drive or do other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert while you take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). Call your doctor right away if this happens or you feel very sleepy.
What are some other side effects of Requip XL?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Feeling sleepy.
- Sweating a lot.
- Belly pain.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Dry mouth.
- Joint pain.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Back pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Requip XL?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Requip XL (ropinirole)
- Requip XL Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: dopaminergic antiparkinsonism agents
Other brands: Requip