Uses of Requip XL:
- It is used to treat Parkinson's disease.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Requip XL?
- If you have an allergy to ropinirole or any other part of Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Requip XL?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Do not stop taking Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- If you start or stop smoking, talk with your doctor. How much drug you take may need to be changed.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not switch between different forms of Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) without first talking with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- The chance of a type of skin cancer called melanoma may be raised in people with Parkinson's disease. It is not known if Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) may also raise the chance. Have skin exams while you take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). Talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Requip XL) best taken?
Use Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- If you stop taking Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), talk with your doctor. You may need to be restarted at a lower dose and raise the dose slowly.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss a few days of Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), call your doctor to find out how to restart.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Feeling confused.
- Strong urges that are hard to control (such as eating, gambling, sex, or spending money).
- A skin lump or growth.
- Change in color or size of a mole.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- Pain when passing urine or blood in urine.
- Change in eyesight.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Mood changes.
- Change in how you act.
- Shortness of breath.
- Trouble controlling body movements that is new or worse.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Not able to focus.
- Some people have fallen asleep during activities like driving, eating, or talking. Some people did not feel sleepy and felt alert right before falling asleep. This has happened up to 1 year after Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) was started. If you fall asleep during activities, do not drive or do other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert while you take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). Call your doctor right away if this happens or you feel very sleepy.
What are some other side effects of Requip XL?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Feeling sleepy.
- Sweating a lot.
- Sore throat.
- Belly pain.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Dry mouth.
- Joint pain.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Back pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Requip XL?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Requip XL (ropinirole extended-release tablets).
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about Requip XL (ropinirole)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: dopaminergic antiparkinsonism agents
Other brands: Requip