Generic Name: Imipenem and Cilastatin (i mi PEN em & sye la STAT in)
Brand Name: Primaxin I.V.
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 5, 2020.
Uses of Primaxin I.V.:
- It is used to treat bacterial infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Primaxin I.V.?
- If you have an allergy to imipenem, cilastatin, or any other part of Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin).
- If you are allergic to Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin); any part of Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have kidney problems.
- If you have an infection in the brain or spine (central nervous system or CNS).
- If you have meningitis. This medicine is not used to treat meningitis.
- If you are taking probenecid.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Divalproex or valproic acid.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Primaxin I.V.?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have your blood work checked if you are on Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin) for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Severe and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened with drugs like this one.
- This medicine may raise the chance of seizures in some people, including people who have had seizures in the past. Talk to your doctor to see if you have a greater chance of seizures while taking Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Primaxin I.V.) best taken?
Use Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling confused.
- Irritation where Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin) is given.
- Diarrhea is common with antibiotics. Rarely, a severe form called C diff–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen during or a few months after taking antibiotics. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, cramps, or very loose, watery, or bloody stools. Check with your doctor before treating diarrhea.
What are some other side effects of Primaxin I.V.?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Primaxin I.V.?
- If you need to store Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Primaxin I.V. (imipenem and cilastatin), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Primaxin IV (cilastatin / imipenem)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: carbapenems
Other brands: Primaxin IM