Generic Name: famotidine/calcium carbonate/magnesium hydroxide (fa-MOE-tih-deen/KAL-see-um KAR-boh-nate/mag-NEE-zee-um hye-DROX-ide)
Brand Name: Pepcid Complete
Pepcid Complete is used for:
Treating heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach.
Pepcid Complete is an H2 (histamine) blocker and antacid combination. It works by neutralizing stomach acid and reducing stomach acid production.
Do NOT use Pepcid Complete if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pepcid Complete or other H2 blockers (eg, ranitidine)
- you are taking calcium acetate or dasatinib
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pepcid Complete:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pepcid Complete. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver disease
- if you have trouble swallowing, pain swallowing food, vomiting with blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, or bloody or black stools
- if you have frequent chest pain, unexplained weight loss, nausea or vomiting, or stomach pain
- if you have had heartburn for longer than 3 months; heartburn associated with light-headedness, sweating, or dizziness; or frequent wheezing, especially with heartburn
- if you have chest, arm, neck, or shoulder pain, especially with shortness of breath; sweating; or light-headedness
- if you have appendicitis, bowel blockage, stomach or bowel bleeding, high blood calcium levels, parathyroid hormone (PTH) deficiency, kidney stones, phenylketonuria (PKU), or sarcoidosis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pepcid Complete. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Calcium acetate because the risk of high blood calcium levels may be increased
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) because serious side effects may occur
- Dasatinib because its effectiveness may be decreased by Pepcid Complete
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Pepcid Complete may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pepcid Complete:
Use Pepcid Complete as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Pepcid Complete by mouth with or without food.
- To relieve symptoms of heartburn, chew 1 tablet. Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- To prevent symptoms, chew 1 tablet with a glass of water at any time from 15 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that cause heartburn.
- Do not use more than 2 chewable tablets in a 24-hour period unless directed by your health care provider.
- If you take a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), take it at least 2 hours before taking Pepcid Complete. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you take atazanavir, certain cephalosporin antibiotics (eg, cefdinir), eltrombopag, erlotinib, estramustine, iron products, itraconazole, ketoconazole, mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), rilpivirine, tetracycline antibiotics (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Pepcid Complete.
- Ask your doctor before taking antacids or other acid reducers with Pepcid Complete.
- If you miss a dose of Pepcid Complete and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pepcid Complete.
Important safety information:
- Pepcid Complete may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pepcid Complete with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- If your heartburn continues or becomes worse, or if you need to take this product for more than 14 days for heartburn symptoms, stop use and contact your doctor.
- You may need to make significant diet and lifestyle changes to help treat and prevent heartburn, including stress-reduction programs, exercise, and diet changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Use Pepcid Complete with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use of Pepcid Complete is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without first talking with the child's doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pepcid Complete while you are pregnant. Pepcid Complete is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking his medicine.
Possible side effects of Pepcid Complete:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); irregular heartbeat; seizures.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Pepcid Complete:
Store Pepcid Complete at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pepcid Complete out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pepcid Complete, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pepcid Complete is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Pepcid Complete or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Pepcid Complete. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Pepcid Complete. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Pepcid Complete.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Pepcid Complete (calcium carbonate / famotidine / magnesium hydroxide)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: H2 antagonists
Other brands: Dual Action Complete