Generic name: Lanthanum Powder [ LAN-tha-num ]
Brand name: Fosrenol
Drug class: Phosphate binders
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 8, 2022.
Uses of Lanthanum Powder:
- It is used to lower high phosphate levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Lanthanum Powder?
For all patients taking lanthanum powder:
- If you have an allergy to lanthanum or any other part of lanthanum powder.
- If you are allergic to lanthanum powder; any part of lanthanum powder; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block, constipation, or problems having a bowel movement.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give lanthanum powder to a child.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with lanthanum powder.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take lanthanum powder with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Lanthanum Powder?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take lanthanum powder. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor that you use lanthanum powder if you are getting x-rays near the belly.
- Very bad stomach or bowel blockage has happened with lanthanum powder. A hole in the bowel has also happened. Sometimes, this has led to the need for surgery or treatment in a hospital. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using lanthanum powder while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Lanthanum Powder) best taken?
Use lanthanum powder as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take during or after meals.
- Do not take antacids within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking lanthanum powder.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than lanthanum powder.
- Keep taking lanthanum powder as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Do not open until you are ready to use.
- Sprinkle powder on a small amount of applesauce or other soft food. Do not try to dissolve in liquid.
- After mixing, take your dose right away. Do not store for future use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very bad constipation.
What are some other side effects of Lanthanum Powder?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Lanthanum Powder?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time lanthanum powder is refilled. If you have any questions about lanthanum powder, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about lanthanum carbonate
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (7)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: phosphate binders
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.