Generic Name: Interferon Alfacon-1 (in ter FEER on AL fa con one)
- Alpha interferons may cause or make diseases of the mind worse. Taking one's own life, ideas of killing yourself or murder, low mood (depression), forceful actions, hallucinations, psychoses, and relapse of drug addiction have happened during treatment and within 6 months after the last dose. Alpha interferons may also cause or make infections, blood flow problems, or autoimmune diseases worse. Some of these may be deadly. If you think you have any of these health problems, call your doctor right away. Side effects such as high or low blood pressure, a fast heartbeat, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, chest pain or pressure, trouble breathing, and heart attacks have happened while taking alpha interferons. If you have very bad signs or if signs of these health problems get worse, talk with your doctor about stopping interferon alfacon-1. Problems are most often fixed after you stop the drug.
- This medicine may be used with ribavirin. If you are also taking ribavirin, talk with the doctor about the risks and side effects that may happen.
Uses of Interferon Alfacon-1:
- It is used to treat long-term hepatitis C infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Interferon Alfacon-1?
- If you have an allergy to interferon alfacon-1 or any part of interferon alfacon-1.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with interferon alfacon-1.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take interferon alfacon-1 with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Interferon Alfacon-1?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take interferon alfacon-1. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you have signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have an eye exam as you have been told by your doctor.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- It is not known if interferon alfacon-1 will prevent liver failure or other liver problems like cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors. Talk with your doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly lung problems have happened with interferon alfacon-1. Call your doctor right away if you have lung or breathing problems like trouble breathing, shortness of breath, or a cough that is new or worse.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with interferon alfacon-1. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly bowel problems (colitis) have happened within 12 weeks of treatment with alpha interferons like interferon alfacon-1. Call your doctor right away if you have very bad belly pain, bloody loose stools, throwing up blood, or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly pancreas problems (pancreatitis) have happened with interferon alfacon-1. Call your doctor right away if you have very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very upset stomach or throwing up.
- If you are 65 or older, use interferon alfacon-1 with care. You could have more side effects.
- Do not give to a child younger than 18 years of age.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using interferon alfacon-1 while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Interferon Alfacon-1) best taken?
Use interferon alfacon-1 as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep using interferon alfacon-1 as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take interferon alfacon-1 at the same time of day.
- It is given as a shot into the fatty part of the skin.
- Your doctor may teach you how to give the shot.
- Before giving the shot, let it come to room temperature. Do not heat interferon alfacon-1.
- Do not shake.
- Follow how to give closely if you or a family member is giving the shot at home.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Throw syringe away after use. Do not use the same syringe more than one time.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Throw away needles in a needle/sharp disposal box. Do not reuse needles or other items. When the box is full, follow all local rules for getting rid of it. Talk with a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it. Then call your doctor to find out when to take your next dose.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Not able to focus.
- Not able to handle heat or cold.
- A change in weight without trying.
- Skin irritation.
- This medicine may cause eye problems that may lead to loss of eyesight or blindness. Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have any changes in eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Interferon Alfacon-1?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hair loss.
- Not able to sleep.
- Not hungry.
- Hot flashes.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Weight loss.
- Irritation where the shot is given.
- Flu-like signs. These include headache, weakness, fever, shakes, aches, pains, and sweating.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Interferon Alfacon-1?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time interferon alfacon-1 is refilled. If you have any questions about interferon alfacon-1, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.