Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection
Generic name: Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection [ in-ter-FEER-on-AL-fa-too-bee ]
Brand name: Intron-A
Drug class: Antineoplastic interferons
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 17, 2023.
- Alpha interferons may cause mental health problems or make them worse. Suicide or suicidal thoughts, thoughts of hurting others, depression, forceful actions, hallucinations, and other mood or behavior problems have happened during treatment and within 6 months after the last dose. Relapse of drug addiction has also happened. Alpha interferons may also cause or make infections, blood flow problems, or autoimmune diseases worse. Sometimes, these may be deadly. If you think you have any of these health problems, call your doctor right away. Side effects such as high or low blood pressure, a fast or abnormal heartbeat, chest pain or pressure, trouble breathing, heart attacks, and strokes have happened. Closely read the part in this leaflet which lists when to call your doctor. Many times, but not every time, these side effects get better after stopping interferon alfa-2b powder for injection.
Uses of Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection:
- It is used to treat cancer.
- It is used to treat genital warts.
- It is used to treat perianal warts.
- It is used to treat hepatitis B and C infections.
- It is used to treat skin wounds in patients with AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection?
- If you are allergic to interferon alfa-2b powder for injection; any part of interferon alfa-2b powder for injection; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have ever had any of these health problems: Autoimmune disease or liver disease.
- If you have any of these health problems: Diabetes or thyroid problems.
- If you have had a transplant.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with interferon alfa-2b powder for injection.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take interferon alfa-2b powder for injection with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection?
For all uses of interferon alfa-2b powder for injection:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take interferon alfa-2b powder for injection. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how interferon alfa-2b powder for injection affects you.
- High blood sugar has happened with interferon alfa-2b powder for injection. This includes diabetes that is new or worse.
- Check your blood sugar as you have been told by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Have an eye exam as you have been told by your doctor.
- High triglyceride levels have happened with interferon alfa-2b powder for injection. Tell your doctor if you have ever had high triglyceride levels.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with interferon alfa-2b powder for injection. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Some people have had lung problems with interferon alfa-2b powder for injection. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of lung problems like shortness of breath or other trouble breathing, cough that is new or worse, or fever.
- This medicine may cause eye problems that may lead to loss of eyesight or blindness. Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have any changes in eyesight.
- This medicine is made from human plasma (part of the blood) and may have viruses that may cause disease. This medicine is screened, tested, and treated to lower the chance that it carries an infection. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use interferon alfa-2b powder for injection with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking interferon alfa-2b powder for injection.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
- It is not known if interferon alfa-2b powder for injection will prevent liver failure or other liver problems like cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors.
- This medicine may be used with ribavirin. If you are also taking ribavirin, talk with the doctor about the risks and side effects that may happen.
How is this medicine (Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection) best taken?
Use interferon alfa-2b powder for injection as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot.
- If you will be giving yourself the shot, your doctor or nurse will teach you how to give the shot.
- Keep using interferon alfa-2b powder for injection as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Before giving the shot, let it come to room temperature. Do not heat interferon alfa-2b powder for injection.
- Move the site where you give the shot with each shot.
- Do not give into skin that is irritated, bruised, red, infected, or scarred.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Throw away needles in a needle/sharp disposal box. Do not reuse needles or other items. When the box is full, follow all local rules for getting rid of it. Talk with a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist often.
- If you throw up, rinse your mouth out well.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid alcohol or other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- This medicine must be mixed with sterile water before using. The sterile water that comes with interferon alfa-2b powder for injection is meant for one use only. Throw away any part of the sterile water that is not used after one use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss taking interferon alfa-2b powder for injection for a few days in a row, call your doctor before you start taking it again.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of thyroid problems like change in weight; feeling nervous, excitable, restless, or weak; hair thinning; depression; neck swelling; not able to focus; trouble with heat or cold; menstrual changes; shakiness; or sweating.
- Mental, mood, or behavior changes that are new or worse.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Very bad headache.
- Very bad belly pain.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Feeling confused.
- Trouble walking.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Change in look of teeth or gums.
What are some other side effects of Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Irritation where the shot is given.
- Dry mouth.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Not hungry.
- Hair thinning.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Change in taste.
- Weight loss.
- Flu-like signs. These include headache, weakness, fever, shakes, aches, pains, and sweating. Mild pain drugs may help.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Interferon Alfa-2b Powder for Injection?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- After mixing, be sure you know how long the product is good for and how to store it. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Throw away any part of opened vial not used after use.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time interferon alfa-2b powder for injection is refilled. If you have any questions about interferon alfa-2b powder for injection, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about interferon alfa-2b
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (9)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: antineoplastic interferons
- En español
- Interferon alfa-2b drug information
- Interferon alfa-2b (Advanced Reading)
- Interferon Alfa-2b Injection Solution
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.