User Reviews for Eltrombopag

Also known as: Promacta

Eltrombopag has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
6.7
Aplastic Anemia
Thrombocytopenia
Summary of Eltrombopag reviews 7.0 12 reviews

Reviews for Eltrombopag

Rushbuzz September 19, 2011

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “My platelet count was dangerously low. After taking 50mg Promacta daily, my count was 275 after one month. I have not had any side effects whatsoever. However, I am curious as to why dairy is prohibited for four hours before and after taking medication. The only other negative is the cost. Thank God for insurance help.”

Davidwa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2015

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “I have ITP and my platelet count was below 10 before I was given Eltrombopag. I have now been taking 50mg daily for 10 months and my platelet count is in the 70 to 90 range. I have no side affects, my doctor expects me to be on Eltrombopag long term”

Pr · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2019

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “I have lupus and ITP, my platelets are at the range of 0-10 k Promacta was the only drug that raised the platelets to 100k Then after one month I had renal failure and lesions in my brain. It didn’t work for lupus I guess. :(”

AplasticAnemiaMom May 8, 2019

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Aplastic Anemia: “Promacta and Eltrombopag are the same drug. One name is the scientific name Eltrombopag and the retail (brand) name is Promacta. There is no difference in the two names they are the same medicine. Our son did very well with ATG Horse, Cyclosporine and Promacta (Eltrombopag). Four years in he has not received a bone marrow transplant and has only received three blood transfusions ever. He lives a pretty normal life but does monitor his labs often and is still on meds. He did have a slow relapse and we found that him going back on high dose cyclosporine twice a day and taking the Promacta (Eltrombopag) helped his labs go back up again (near normal) again avoiding a BMT. If insurance doesn't pay for it have your doctor advocate first and if still no, call Novartis or visit their website as they have options to send this very expensive medicine to you for free.”

AplasticAnemiaMOM November 22, 2016

For Aplastic Anemia: “My child was on Eltrombopag for a few months in combination with ATG Horse and standard immunosuppresent therapy using cyclosporine and had a rapid response. Eltrombopag is a miracle drug. Our child did have slight elevations in liver levels (LDH, AST, ALT) but as soon s the drug was removed all levels went to normal again and my child held labs at near normal levels. Very grateful. It is expensive but insurance will pay, but you may have to fight for it. I would fight for it.”

no nickname December 27, 2017

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Aplastic Anemia: “I have been taking Promacta for two months for Aplastic Anemia and have seen no increase in my hemoglobin count. I have had no significant side effects, but do not think the drug is effective in my case, too bad it's probably chemo for me. The drug is easy to take if you can find the proper time. I take it around 4 am when I first wake up then try to get some more sleep. Hope it works for you.”

Bhargavi · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 20, 2020

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “My mother has ITP since her teens. She has been on steroids for long and then splenectomy. It was under remission but the condition keeps coming back now and then. Now she is on eltrombopag. It comes with considerable side effects, obvious ones like finger tip tingling and pain, nausea, severe headache, loss of appetite. It costs a lot and she is using it on a regular basis. I am not aware of the insurance support in India for the tabs. That would have helped us a lot.”

Moi · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2021

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “Bloating of stomach, serious thinning and hair loss, blur vision with dry eyes and dry mouth. The co-pay got too expensive and told doctor I need to switch to another medication for my low platelets.”

NY · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 7, 2020

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “Have been on Elthrombopag for 2.5 years. Platelet raised between 100-150 but last 2 months, it's severely declining to reach 24000. No reason recognized. Food precautions are restrictive and annoying. Cost is too much.”

I take 50MG once a day at night · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2013

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Thrombocytopenia: “I have been on eltrombpag for two years. I have had no side effects but my platelet count says about 20 to 30,000. I get treatment through the VA.”

TheMeerkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2017

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Aplastic Anemia: “It didn’t cause any side effects, and, more important, I’m not dead. That’s pretty good.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2020

Promacta (eltrombopag) for Thrombocytopenia: “I have the same side effects from Promacta as the first reviewer: Lesions in the brain, double vision, and dizziness that I lose my balance.”