Generic Name: Propranolol Sustained-Release Bead Capsules (proe PRAN oh lole)
Brand Name: Inderal XL, InnoPran XL
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 8, 2020.
- Do not stop taking InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) all of a sudden. If you do, chest pain that is worse and in some cases heart attack may occur. The risk may be greater if you have certain types of heart disease. To avoid side effects, you will want to slowly stop InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Call your doctor right away if you have new or worse chest pain or if other heart problems occur.
Uses of InnoPran XL:
- It is used to treat high blood pressure.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take InnoPran XL?
- If you have an allergy to propranolol or any other part of InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules).
- If you are allergic to InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules); any part of InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Certain types of abnormal heartbeats called heart block or sick-sinus syndrome, heart failure (weak heart), low blood pressure, poor blood flow to the arms or legs, shock caused by heart problems, or a slow heartbeat.
- If you have any of these health problems: Asthma or other breathing problems like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take InnoPran XL?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules).
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- If you smoke, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may hide the signs of low blood sugar. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- This medicine may make it harder to tell if you have signs of an overactive thyroid like fast heartbeat. If you have an overactive thyroid and stop taking InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) all of a sudden, it may get worse and could be life-threatening. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are taking InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) and have high blood pressure, talk with your doctor before using OTC products that may raise blood pressure. These include cough or cold drugs, diet pills, stimulants, ibuprofen or like products, and some natural products or aids.
- If you have had a very bad allergic reaction, talk with your doctor. You may have a chance of an even worse reaction if you come into contact with what caused your allergy. If you use epinephrine to treat very bad allergic reactions, talk with your doctor. Epinephrine may not work as well while you are taking InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (InnoPran XL) best taken?
Use InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food but take the same way each time. Always take with food or always take on an empty stomach.
- Take at bedtime if taking once a day.
- Swallow capsule whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Keep taking InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low blood sugar like dizziness, headache, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, shaking, a fast heartbeat, confusion, hunger, or sweating.
- Signs of lupus like a rash on the cheeks or other body parts, sunburn easy, muscle or joint pain, chest pain or shortness of breath, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Chest pain that is new or worse.
- Slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Feeling confused.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Memory problems or loss.
- Depression or other mood changes.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Feeling cold in the arms or legs.
- Change in eyesight.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Fever, chills, or sore throat.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of InnoPran XL?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain or cramps.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Strange or odd dreams.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out InnoPran XL?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat, cold, and light.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about InnoPran XL (propranolol sustained-release bead capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about InnoPran XL (propranolol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: group II antiarrhythmics