Generic Name: ibutilide (eye-BYOO-tih-lide)
Brand Name: Corvert
Ibutilide can cause potentially deadly irregular heart rhythms, which can be reversed if treated promptly.
Ibutilide is used for:
Treating irregular heart rhythms. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ibutilide is an antiarrhythmic. It works by slowing the conduction of the irregular heartbeat throughout the heart, which allows an opportunity for the regular heart rhythm to take over.
Do NOT use ibutilide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ibutilide
- you have prolonged QT interval in electrocardiogram
- you are taking itraconazole
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ibutilide:
Some medical conditions may interact with ibutilide. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an irregular or slow heartbeat, congestive heart failure, other heart problems, or low levels of magnesium or potassium
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ibutilide. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Arsenic, cisapride, itraconazole, ketolides (eg, telithromycin), macrolides (eg, erythromycin), phenothiazines (eg, promethazine), and other medications that prolong the QT interval because they may increase the risk abnormal heart rhythms, including fatal heart rhythms, such as torsades de pointes
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ibutilide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ibutilide:
Use ibutilide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ibutilide is administered as an infusion at the hospital.
- If ibutilide contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of ibutilide, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ibutilide.
Important safety information:
- Ibutilide may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to ibutilide. Using ibutilide alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Ibutilide is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using ibutilide during pregnancy. It is unknown if ibutilide is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking ibutilide.
Possible side effects of ibutilide:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; headache; nausea; rapid heartbeat.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or slow heartbeat; heart block; heart failure; shortness of breath; swelling of feet or ankles; worsening of heart rhythm problems.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include abnormal heart rhythms; heart block.Proper storage of ibutilide:
Ibutilide is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using ibutilide at home, store ibutilide as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider.
- If you have any questions about ibutilide, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ibutilide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ibutilide or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ibutilide. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ibutilide. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ibutilide.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ibutilide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: group III antiarrhythmics
Other brands: Corvert