Generic Name: ibutilide (eye BUE til ide)
Brand Name: Corvert
What is Corvert (ibutilide)?
Ibutilide is an anti-arrhythmic heart medication that corrects certain conditions of irregular heart rhythm.
Ibutilide is used to help keep the heart beating normally in people with certain heart rhythm disorders of the atrium (the upper chambers of the heart that allow blood to flow into the heart). Ibutilide is used in people with atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter.
Ibutilide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Corvert (ibutilide)?
Ibutilide can cause life-threatening irregular heart rhythms. Your heart rate will be constantly monitored using an electrocardiograph or ECG (sometimes called an EKG) so that any further problems can be treated quickly.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving Corvert (ibutilide)?
You should not receive this medication if you are allergic to ibutilide.
If possible, tell your doctor if you have taken a heart rhythm medication within the past 4 hours before receiving ibutilide.
To make sure ibutilide is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have congestive heart failure.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether ibutilide will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether ibutilide passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
In an emergency situation it may not be possible to tell your caregivers about your health conditions, or if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Make sure any doctor caring for you afterward knows you have received this medicine.
How is Corvert (ibutilide)given?
Ibutilide is injected into a vein through an IV. A healthcare provider will give you this injection.
Ibutilide can cause life-threatening irregular heart rhythms. Your heart rate will be constantly monitored using an electrocardiograph or ECG (sometimes called an EKG) so that any further problems can be treated quickly. Cardiac emergency equipment will also be kept nearby in case it is needed to treat you.
Heart monitoring may continue for several hours after you have stopped receiving ibutilide.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Because you will receive ibutilide in a clinical setting, you are not likely to miss a dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Since this medication is given by a healthcare professional in a medical setting, an overdose is unlikely to occur.
What should I avoid after receiving Corvert (ibutilide)?
Follow your doctor's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
Corvert (ibutilide) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have:
headache with chest pain and severe dizziness;
shortness of breath; or
a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out.
Common side effects may include:
mild headache; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Corvert (ibutilide)?
Tell your doctor if you have taken a heart rhythm medication within the past 4 hours. This includes:
Tell your doctor about all medicines you use, and those you start or stop using during your treatment with ibutilide, especially:
citalopram, fingolimod, lumefantrine, mifepristone, saquinavir; or
an antibiotic--azithromycin, clarithromycin, erythromycin; cancer medicine--arsenic trioxide, degarelix, nilotinib, toremifene, vandetanib, vemurafenib; medicine to treat mental illness--iloperidone, pimozide, thioridazine, ziprasidone.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with ibutilide, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible interactions are listed in this medication guide.
More about Corvert (ibutilide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: group III antiarrhythmics
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your doctor or pharmacist can provide more information about ibutilide.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.01.
Date modified: December 03, 2017
Last reviewed: October 14, 2013