Corvert Side Effects
Generic name: ibutilide
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 5, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about ibutilide. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Corvert.
For the Consumer
Applies to ibutilide: parenteral solution for injection
- May cause potentially fatal arrhythmias.1 7 Should be administered only by skilled personnel in a setting in which proper equipment (e.g., cardiac monitors, intracardiac pacing, cardioverter/defibrillator) and therapy for sustained VT are available during and after drug administration.1 (See Arrhythmogenic Effects under Cautions.)
- Adequate anticoagulation recommended for patients with atrial fibrillation of more than 2–3 days’ duration.1
- Select patients carefully such that the expected benefits of conversion to sinus rhythm outweigh the immediate risks of ibutilide therapy.1 Use ibutilide when it is likely to offer an advantage compared with alternative management methods for atrial flutter or fibrillation.1 (See Supraventricular Tachyarrhythmias under Uses.)
Side effects include:
Generally well tolerated. Adverse events affecting the cardiovascular system (e.g., arrhythmogenic affects, affects on cardiac conduction, palpitation, hypotension, hypertension), nausea, and headache reported in ≤5.1% of patients.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ibutilide: intravenous solution
Common (1% to 10%): Sustained polymorphic ventricular tachycardia, non-sustained polymorphic ventricular tachycardia, non-sustained monomorphic ventricular tachycardia, atrioventricular block, bundle branch block, ventricular extrasystoles, hypotension/postural hypotension, bradycardia/sinus bradycardia, tachycardia/sinus tachycardia/supraventricular tachycardia, hypertension, QT segment prolonged, palpitation, tachycardia
Common (1% to 10%): Headache
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Renal failure[Ref]
More about Corvert (ibutilide)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Pricing & coupons
- Generic availability
- En español
- Drug class: group III antiarrhythmics
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Corvert (ibutilide)." Pharmacia and Upjohn (2001):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.