Gebauer's Spray and Stretch
Generic Name: Pentafluoropropane and Tetrafluoroethane (pen ta flure oh PRO pane & tet ra flure oh ETH ane)
Brand Name: Gebauer's Instant Ice, Gebauer's Pain Ease, Gebauer's Spray and Stretch
Uses of Gebauer's Spray and Stretch:
- It is used to ease pain from muscle and sports injuries.
- It is used to numb an area of the skin before care.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Gebauer's Spray and Stretch?
- If you have an allergy to pentafluoropropane, tetrafluoroethane, or any other part of Gebauer's Spray and Stretch (pentafluoropropane and tetrafluoroethane).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Gebauer's Spray and Stretch?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Gebauer's Spray and Stretch. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Gebauer's Spray and Stretch while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Gebauer's Spray and Stretch) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Gebauer's Spray and Stretch by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Spray over the hurt part only. Do not use more than 1 time if the skin gets irritated. White petroleum may be put on other parts of the skin to protect it.
- If using for sports injuries or care, spray hurt part for 4 to 10 seconds until skin begins to turn white. Do not frost the skin.
- If you are using this medicine for muscle tension or spasms, spray affected muscle at about 4 inches per second and stretch the muscle while spraying.
- Do not put on the face, underarms, or the groin area unless told to do so by the doctor.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Gebauer's Spray and Stretch?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Change in color of skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Gebauer's Spray and Stretch?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat or open flame. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Gebauer's Spray and Stretch, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Gebauer's Spray and Stretch. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Gebauer's Spray and Stretch.
Review Date: November 1, 2017