Generic Name: fluocinolone (FLOO-oh-SIN-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Synalar
Fluocinolone Solution is used for:
Relieving itching and inflammation caused by certain skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fluocinolone Solution is a topical corticosteroid. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation).
Do NOT use Fluocinolone Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fluocinolone Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fluocinolone Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fluocinolone Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have measles, chickenpox, or tuberculosis (TB), or you have had a positive TB skin test
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have hardening or thinning of the skin or any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have recently had or are scheduled to receive a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fluocinolone Solution. Because little, if any, of Fluocinolone Solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Fluocinolone Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fluocinolone Solution:
Use Fluocinolone Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before applying Fluocinolone Solution.
- Apply a thin film of Fluocinolone Solution to the affected area. Gently rub it in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Fluocinolone Solution, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or wrap the treated skin area unless directed otherwise by your doctor. If Fluocinolone Solution was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- If Fluocinolone Solution is applied to a hairy site, the hair should be parted to allow the medicine direct contact with the skin.
- If you miss a dose of Fluocinolone Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fluocinolone Solution.
Important safety information:
- Fluocinolone Solution is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Fluocinolone Solution has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Fluocinolone Solution for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Fluocinolone Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Fluocinolone Solution is absorbed through the skin. This may be more likely to occur if you use Fluocinolone Solution over a large area of the body. It may also be more likely if you wrap or bandage the area after you apply Fluocinolone Solution. The risk is greater in children. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Fluocinolone Solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fluocinolone Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Fluocinolone Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Fluocinolone Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness; mild burning or itching at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; irritation, burning, redness, or swelling not present before using Fluocinolone Solution; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Fluocinolone Solution:
Store Fluocinolone Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze. Avoid excessive heat above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Keep Fluocinolone Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fluocinolone Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fluocinolone Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Fluocinolone Solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Fluocinolone Solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Fluocinolone Solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Fluocinolone Solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about fluocinolone topical
- Fluocinolone cream
- Fluocinolone cream and ointment kit
- Fluocinolone oil
- Fluocinolone oil (body oil)
- Fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)
- More (4) »