Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 2, 2022.
Uses of Floranex:
- It is used to keep the normal balance of bacteria in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Floranex?
- If you have an allergy to Lactobacillus or any other part of Floranex (lactobacillus granules).
- If you are allergic to Floranex (lactobacillus granules); any part of Floranex (lactobacillus granules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Floranex (lactobacillus granules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Floranex?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Floranex (lactobacillus granules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are on a lactose-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some products have lactose.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), check labels closely. Some products have sugar.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Floranex) best taken?
Use Floranex (lactobacillus granules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Mix with cereal, food, or milk.
- Do not mix Floranex (lactobacillus granules) with warm or hot food or drinks.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling dizzy, tired, or weak.
- More thirst.
- Change in how much urine is passed.
- Muscle pain.
- Bone pain.
- Weight loss.
What are some other side effects of Floranex?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Floranex?
- Follow how to store closely.
- Some brands of Floranex (lactobacillus granules) need to be stored in a refrigerator. Some brands of Floranex (lactobacillus granules) need to be stored at room temperature. If you have questions about how to store Floranex (lactobacillus granules), talk with your pharmacist.
- Be sure you know how long you can store Floranex (lactobacillus granules) before you need to throw it away.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Floranex (lactobacillus granules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Floranex (lactobacillus acidophilus / lactobacillus bulgaricus)
- Other brands
- BD Lactinex
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.