Derma-Smoothe FS Scalp Oil (Fluocinolone Oil)
Generic name: Fluocinolone Oil (Scalp Oil) [ floo-oh-SIN-oh-lone ]
Brand name: Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil
Drug class: Topical steroids
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 23, 2023.
Uses of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil:
- It is used to treat scalp psoriasis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil?
- If you have an allergy to fluocinolone or any other part of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)).
- If you are allergic to Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)); any part of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Some brands of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)) have peanut oil in them. If you are allergic to peanuts, check with your pharmacist to see if your brand has peanut oil in it.
- Do not use to treat diaper rash.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told by the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil) best taken?
Use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Wet hair and scalp.
- Put a thin layer on the affected part of the scalp and rub in gently.
- Cover scalp with the shower cap that comes with Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)).
- Leave on overnight or for at least 4 hours before you wash it off the scalp.
- Wash and rinse hair with shampoo.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Signs of a weak adrenal gland like a very bad upset stomach or throwing up, very bad dizziness or passing out, muscle weakness, feeling very tired, mood changes, not hungry, or weight loss.
- Signs of Cushing's disease like weight gain in the upper back or belly, moon face, very bad headache, or slow healing.
- Skin changes (pimples, stretch marks, slow healing, hair growth).
- Skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil (fluocinolone oil (scalp oil)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about fluocinolone topical
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (9)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: topical steroids
- Fluocinolone Topical drug information
- Fluocinolone topical oil
- Fluocinolone (Topical application) (Advanced Reading)
- Fluocinolone Oil
- Fluocinolone Oil (Body Oil)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.