Cyclocort (Cream and Ointment)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 9, 2020.
Uses of Cyclocort:
- It is used to treat skin irritation.
- It is used to treat skin rashes.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cyclocort?
- If you have an allergy to amcinonide or any other part of Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment).
- If you are allergic to Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment); any part of Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cyclocort?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told by the doctor.
- Do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants if treated part is in the diaper area. This may cause more drug to get into the body.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Cyclocort) best taken?
Use Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Do not put on the face, underarms, or the groin area unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Signs of Cushing's disease like weight gain in the upper back or belly, moon face, very bad headache, or slow healing.
- Signs of a weak adrenal gland like a very bad upset stomach or throwing up, very bad dizziness or passing out, muscle weakness, feeling very tired, mood changes, not hungry, or weight loss.
- Change in color of skin.
- Skin changes (pimples, stretch marks, slow healing, hair growth).
- Skin irritation.
- Thinning of the skin.
What are some other side effects of Cyclocort?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cyclocort?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Cyclocort (amcinonide cream and ointment), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Cyclocort (amcinonide topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: topical steroids
- Drug Information
- Cyclocort (Advanced Reading)
- Cyclocort Cream (Advanced Reading)
- Cyclocort Lotion (Advanced Reading)
- Cyclocort Ointment (Advanced Reading)
- Cyclocort (Amcinonide Lotion)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.