Generic Name: aztreonam (az-TREE-oh-nam)
Brand Name: Cayston
Cayston is used for:
Improving breathing symptoms in cystic fibrosis (CF) patients with lung infections caused by certain bacteria (Pseudomonas aeruginosa).
Cayston is a monobactam antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause infection.
Do NOT use Cayston if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cayston
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cayston:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cayston. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any penicillin, cephalosporin, or carbapenem antibiotic
- if you have a forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV-1) of less than 25% or more than 75% predicted
- if you are colonized with a certain bacteria (Burkholderia cepacia)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cayston. However, no specific interactions with Cayston are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cayston may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cayston:
Use Cayston as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Cayston. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- You should use a bronchodilator (eg, albuterol) before you use Cayston. Contact your doctor for instructions on how and when to use a bronchodilator before using Cayston.
- If you are taking several inhaled medicines, talk to your doctor about the best order for taking your medicines.
- Cayston should be used with a certain nebulizer (Altera Nebulizer System). Do not use other medicines with this nebulizer. Be sure you know which nebulizer to use Cayston with.
- Do not mix Cayston with other medicines before using it.
- Do not use Cayston if it is cloudy, contains particles, or if it has been stored at room temperature for more than 28 days.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Cayston for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Cayston must be mixed with the provided diluent that comes with it before you use it. Follow your doctor's instructions on how to mix Cayston.
- After you mix Cayston with the diluent, use it immediately. Do not mix more than one dose at a time.
- Cayston is usually used for 28 days on the medicine followed by at least 28 days off the medicine. Follow the dosing schedule given to you by your doctor carefully.
- If you miss a dose of Cayston, use it as soon as possible. If it is less than 4 hours until your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cayston.
Important safety information:
- Cayston only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use more often than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Cayston for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Cayston may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Decreases in lung function have occurred after patients have taken Cayston for 28 days. Your doctor may monitor your lung function while you use Cayston. Contact your doctor if you experience new or worsening lung or breathing problems.
- Lab tests, including lung function, may be performed while you use Cayston. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Cayston should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 7 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Cayston in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially fever.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cayston while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Cayston, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cayston:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cough; mild stomach pain; nasal congestion; sore throat; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest or throat; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest discomfort; fever; severe or persistent cough, sore throat, or stomach pain; severe or persistent vomiting; shortness of breath; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Cayston:
Store Cayston and the diluent in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Once removed from the refrigerator, Cayston and the diluent may be stored at room temperature, below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C), for up to 28 days. Always keep Cayston and the diluent together. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cayston out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cayston, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cayston is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Cayston or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Cayston. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Cayston. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Cayston.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Cayston (aztreonam)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous antibiotics
Other brands: Azactam