Generic Name: Brentuximab Vedotin (bren TUX i mab ve DOE tin)
Brand Name: Adcetris
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 29, 2020.
- A very bad brain problem called progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) has happened with brentuximab vedotin. It may cause disability or can be deadly. Tell your doctor right away if you have signs like confusion, memory problems, low mood (depression), change in the way you act, change in strength on 1 side is greater than the other, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, or change in eyesight.
Uses of Brentuximab Vedotin:
- It is used to treat lymphoma.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Brentuximab Vedotin?
- If you have an allergy to brentuximab vedotin or any other part of brentuximab vedotin.
- If you are allergic to brentuximab vedotin; any part of brentuximab vedotin; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
- If you are taking bleomycin.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take brentuximab vedotin.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with brentuximab vedotin.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take brentuximab vedotin with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Brentuximab Vedotin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take brentuximab vedotin. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- High blood sugar has happened with brentuximab vedotin. This includes diabetes that is new or worse.
- An acidic blood problem caused by diabetes has happened. Sometimes, this has been deadly.
- You may have more of a chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu. Some infections have been very bad and even deadly.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Some people have unsafe allergic effects or bad side effects during the infusion or within 24 hours of the infusion. Talk with the doctor.
- Severe side effects and death happened more often in people with severe kidney or liver problems than in people without these problems. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly pancreas problems (pancreatitis) have happened with brentuximab vedotin. Call your doctor right away if you have very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with brentuximab vedotin. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly lung problems have happened with brentuximab vedotin. Call your doctor right away if you have lung or breathing problems that are new or worse like cough or shortness of breath.
- Patients with cancer who take brentuximab vedotin may be at a greater risk of getting a severe health problem called tumor lysis syndrome (TLS).This may lead to death. Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat; any passing out; trouble passing urine; muscle weakness or cramps; upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, or not able to eat; or feel sluggish.
- If you are 65 or older, use brentuximab vedotin with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to an unborn baby. A pregnancy test will be done before you start brentuximab vedotin to show that you are NOT pregnant.
- Women must use birth control while taking brentuximab vedotin and for some time after the last dose. Ask your doctor how long to use birth control. If you get pregnant, call your doctor right away.
- Men with a partner who may get pregnant must use birth control while taking brentuximab vedotin and for some time after the last dose. Use a condom and another form of birth control that you can trust. Ask your doctor how long to use birth control. If your partner gets pregnant, call the doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Brentuximab Vedotin) best taken?
Use brentuximab vedotin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
- Other drugs may be given to help with infusion side effects.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Swollen gland.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Coughing up blood.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Muscle weakness.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly stomach or bowel problems like bleeding, blockage, holes or tears, ulcers, and swelling have happened with brentuximab vedotin. Call your doctor right away if you have fever or chills; black, tarry, or bloody stools; very bad constipation, diarrhea, or stomach pain; swelling of the stomach; or throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
What are some other side effects of Brentuximab Vedotin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Hair loss.
- Feeling dizzy, tired, or weak.
- Constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, upset stomach, throwing up, or feeling less hungry.
- Back, bone, joint, or muscle pain.
- Dry skin.
- Muscle spasm.
- Weight loss.
- Night sweats.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Signs of a common cold.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Brentuximab Vedotin?
- If you need to store brentuximab vedotin at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about brentuximab vedotin, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about brentuximab
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: CD30 monoclonal antibodies
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Adcetris