Generic Name: Brentuximab Vedotin (bren TUX i mab ve DOE tin)
Brand Name: Adcetris
- A very bad brain problem called progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) has happened with brentuximab vedotin. It may cause disability or can be deadly. Tell your doctor right away if you have signs like confusion, memory problems, low mood (depression), change in the way you act, change in strength on 1 side is greater than the other, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, or change in eyesight.
Uses of Brentuximab Vedotin:
- It is used to treat lymphoma.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Brentuximab Vedotin?
- If you have an allergy to brentuximab vedotin or any other part of this medicine.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
- If you are taking bleomycin.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take brentuximab vedotin.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take brentuximab vedotin with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Brentuximab Vedotin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly infections can happen with brentuximab vedotin. Talk with the doctor.
- Some people have unsafe allergic effects or bad side effects during the infusion or within 24 hours of the infusion. Talk with the doctor.
- Side effects and death happened with this medicine more often in people with very bad kidney problems than in people without kidney problems. Side effects and death also happened with brentuximab vedotin more often in people with moderate or very bad liver problems than in people without liver problems. Talk with the doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly pancreas problems (pancreatitis) have happened with this medicine. Call your doctor right away if you have very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with brentuximab vedotin. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly lung problems have happened with this medicine. Call your doctor right away if you have lung or breathing problems that are new or worse like cough or shortness of breath.
- Patients with cancer who take brentuximab vedotin may be at a greater risk of getting a bad health problem called tumor lysis syndrome (TLS). Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have a fast heartbeat or a heartbeat that does not feel normal; any passing out; trouble passing urine; muscle weakness or cramps; upset stomach, throwing up, loose stools, or not able to eat; or feel sluggish.
- This medicine may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are a man and have sex with a female who could get pregnant, protect her from pregnancy during care and for 6 months after care ends. Use birth control that you can trust.
- If you are a man and your sex partner gets pregnant while you take this medicine or within 6 months after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- If you are able to get pregnant, a pregnancy test will be done to show that you are NOT pregnant before starting brentuximab vedotin. Talk with your doctor.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine and for 6 months after stopping brentuximab vedotin.
- If you get pregnant while taking this medicine or within 6 months after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Brentuximab Vedotin) best taken?
Use brentuximab vedotin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
- Other drugs may be given to help with infusion side effects.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Swollen gland.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Coughing up blood.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly stomach or bowel problems like bleeding, blockage, holes or tears, ulcers, and swelling have happened with this medicine. Call your doctor right away if you have fever or chills; black, tarry, or bloody stools; very bad constipation, diarrhea, or stomach pain; swelling of the stomach; or throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
What are some other side effects of Brentuximab Vedotin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Joint pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Back pain.
- Dry skin.
- Hair loss.
- Muscle spasm.
- Not hungry.
- Weight loss.
- Night sweats.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Brentuximab Vedotin?
- If you need to store brentuximab vedotin at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take brentuximab vedotin or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to brentuximab vedotin. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: November 1, 2017
More about brentuximab
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: CD30 monoclonal antibodies
Other brands: Adcetris