Generic Name: isosorbide dinitrate/hydralazine (eye-soe-SOR-bide dye-NYE-trate/hye-DRAL-a-zeen)
Brand Name: BiDil
BiDil is used for:
Treating heart failure in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
BiDil is a vasodilator combination. It works by relaxing and dilating (opening) the blood vessels in the body, allowing blood to flow through the vessels easier and at a lower pressure.
Do NOT use BiDil if:
- you are allergic to nitrates or to any ingredient in BiDil
- you are taking avanafil, riociguat, sildenafil, tadalafil, or vardenafil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using BiDil:
Some medical conditions may interact with BiDil. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have blood problems (eg, anemia), dehydration problems, heart problems, low blood pressure, liver problems, lupus, or an overactive thyroid, or you have had a recent head injury or recent heart attack
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with BiDil. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Avanafil, riociguat, sildenafil , tadalafil, or vardenafil because the risk of severe low blood pressure may be increased
- Medicines that affect your blood vessels, medicines that treat high blood pressure, or other vasodilators because they may increase the risk of BiDil's side effects
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, furazolidone, isocarboxazid, linezolid, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, selegiline, tranylcypromine) because the risk of severe low blood pressure may be increased or because serious side effects may occur
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) or lisinopril because the risk of their side effects may be increased by BiDil
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if BiDil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use BiDil:
Use BiDil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take BiDil by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking BiDil is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take BiDil on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking BiDil at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take BiDil even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of BiDil, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use BiDil.
Important safety information:
- BiDil may cause dizziness or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use BiDil with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using BiDil; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- BiDil may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, fever, low fluid intake, excessive sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea can increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, light-headedness, or weakness. If fainting occurs, notify your doctor as soon as possible.
- BiDil may cause a vitamin B6 deficiency. Talk with your doctor for more information.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take BiDil before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure checks, may be performed while you use BiDil. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use BiDil with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using BiDil while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use BiDil, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of BiDil:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; headache; light-headedness; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; difficult urination; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint pain; numbness or tingling of the skin; persistent fatigue or weakness; runny nose; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of BiDil:
Store BiDil at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep BiDil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about BiDil, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- BiDil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take BiDil or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about BiDil. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to BiDil. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using BiDil.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about BiDil (hydralazine / isosorbide dinitrate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating