Generic Name: exemestane (EX-e-MES-tane)
Brand Name: Aromasin
Aromasin is used for:
Treating advanced breast cancer in women who are past menopause and whose disease has progressed after treatment with other medicines. It is also used in the treatment of early breast cancer in certain women who are past menopause and after treatment with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Aromasin is an aromatase inhibitor. It works by stopping the production of estrogen, which may decrease the size and growth of the tumor.
Do NOT use Aromasin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Aromasin
- you have not undergone menopause
- you are pregnant, may become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- you are taking any medicines that contain estrogen (eg, certain birth control pills, certain hormone replacement therapies)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Aromasin:
Some medical conditions may interact with Aromasin. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of liver or kidney problems, osteoporosis (weak bones), heart problems, blood vessel problems, or a stroke
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Aromasin. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, medicines that contain estrogen (eg, certain birth control pills, certain hormone replacement therapies), phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifampin, or St. John's wort because they may decrease Aromasin's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Aromasin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Aromasin:
Use Aromasin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Aromasin. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Aromasin by mouth after a meal at the same time every day.
- Continue to take Aromasin even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Aromasin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aromasin.
Important safety information:
- Aromasin may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Aromasin with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- It may take several weeks for Aromasin to work. Do not stop taking Aromasin or take Aromasin for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts, liver and kidney function, or bone density, may be performed while you take Aromasin. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Aromasin should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not take Aromasin if you are pregnant. It has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you may become pregnant, you must use effective birth control while you take Aromasin. Talk with your doctor about the use of effective birth control while you take Aromasin. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Aromasin.
Possible side effects of Aromasin:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Anxiety; back, joint, muscle, or limb pain; constipation; coughing; diarrhea; dizziness; flu-like symptoms; hair loss; headache; hot flashes; increased or decreased appetite; increased sweating; nausea; stomach pain or upset; tiredness; trouble sleeping; weight gain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; confusion; depression; fainting; general feeling of being unwell; numbness, burning, or tingling in the skin, hands, or feet; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; severe or sudden bone pain; severe stomach pain; shortness of breath; sudden, severe dizziness, headache, or vomiting; sudden, unusual weight gain; swelling of the hands, legs, or feet; vision or speech changes; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Aromasin:
Store Aromasin at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aromasin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Aromasin, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aromasin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Aromasin or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Aromasin. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Aromasin. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Aromasin.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Aromasin (exemestane)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 13 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: aromatase inhibitors