Generic Name: Exemestane (ex e MES tane)
Brand Name: Aromasin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 29, 2020.
Uses of Aromasin:
- It is used to treat breast cancer in women after menopause (change of life).
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Aromasin?
- If you have an allergy to exemestane or any other part of Aromasin (exemestane).
- If you are allergic to Aromasin (exemestane); any part of Aromasin (exemestane); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have not been through menopause or you are still able to have a baby.
- If you are taking estrogen products.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Aromasin (exemestane) or for 1 month after you stop Aromasin (exemestane).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Aromasin (exemestane).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Aromasin (exemestane) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Aromasin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Aromasin (exemestane). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- High blood pressure has happened with Aromasin (exemestane). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Have a bone density test as you have been told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- Take calcium and vitamin D as you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine may affect fertility. Fertility problems may lead to not being able to get pregnant or father a child.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- If you are able to get pregnant, a pregnancy test will be done to show that you are NOT pregnant before starting Aromasin (exemestane). Talk with your doctor.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking Aromasin (exemestane) and for 1 month after stopping Aromasin (exemestane).
- If you get pregnant while taking Aromasin (exemestane) or within 1 month after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Aromasin) best taken?
Use Aromasin (exemestane) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take after a meal.
- Take Aromasin (exemestane) at the same time of day.
- Keep taking Aromasin (exemestane) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Change in eyesight.
- Low mood (depression).
- This medicine may cause weak bones. This may happen more often if used for a long time. This may raise the chance of broken bones. Call your doctor right away if you have bone pain.
What are some other side effects of Aromasin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Hot flashes.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- More hungry.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Hair loss.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not able to sleep.
- Sweating a lot.
- Back pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Aromasin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Aromasin (exemestane), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- Aromasin vs Femara - how do they compare?
- Which is better - Aromasin or Femara?
- How long do you need to take Aromasin?
- Should you take Aromasin with food?
More about Aromasin (exemestane)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 15 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: aromatase inhibitors