The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Aqua Glycolic HC lotion
Generic Name: hydrocortisone (HYE-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Aqua Glycolic HC
Aqua Glycolic HC lotion is used for:
Reducing itching, redness, and swelling associated with many skin conditions. The cleanser is used to clean the scalp and the body as directed by your doctor.
Aqua Glycolic HC lotion is a topical corticosteroid and cleanser combination. The corticosteroid works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation).
Do NOT use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Aqua Glycolic HC lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Aqua Glycolic HC lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Aqua Glycolic HC lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chickenpox, shingles, measles, or tuberculosis (TB), or have had a positive TB skin test or a recent vaccination
- if you have had a skin infection, thinning of the skin (atrophy), or a certain type of severe acne (rosacea)
- if you are taking an oral corticosteroid (eg, prednisone)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Aqua Glycolic HC lotion. Because little, if any, of Aqua Glycolic HC lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Aqua Glycolic HC lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion:
Use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake the lotion well before each use.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub it in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Aqua Glycolic HC lotion, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Use the cleanser on the scalp or body as directed by your doctor. If applying to the scalp, massage a moderate amount into the wet scalp. Leave on for 2 to 3 minutes, then rinse well. Do not repeat. If using on the body, apply a generous amount, lather, and rinse well.
- If you miss a dose of Aqua Glycolic HC lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion.
Important safety information:
- Aqua Glycolic HC lotion is for external use only. Do not get Aqua Glycolic HC lotion in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Do not use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose, use for longer than prescribed, or use over a large area of the body without checking with your doctor.
- If Aqua Glycolic HC lotion was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Aqua Glycolic HC lotion.
- The cleanser may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Aqua Glycolic HC lotion. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing while you are using the cleanser and for 1 week after you stop using it if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Aqua Glycolic HC lotion is absorbed through the skin. This may be more likely to occur if you use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion over a large area of the body. It may also be more likely if you wrap or bandage the area after you apply Aqua Glycolic HC lotion. The risk is greater in children. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Corticosteroids may affect the growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Aqua Glycolic HC lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Aqua Glycolic HC lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Aqua Glycolic HC lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild skin burning, irritation, or dryness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, itching, pain, peeling, redness, or swelling not present before using Aqua Glycolic HC lotion; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; numbness of the fingers; severe or persistent skin irritation; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include muscle weakness; symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, confusion; flushing; increased hunger, thirst, or urination; rapid breathing; unusual drowsiness); or unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Aqua Glycolic HC lotion:
Store Aqua Glycolic HC lotion at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aqua Glycolic HC lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Aqua Glycolic HC lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aqua Glycolic HC lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Aqua Glycolic HC lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Aqua Glycolic HC lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Aqua Glycolic HC lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Aqua Glycolic HC lotion.