User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 783 medications

Fibromyalgia 59 reviews 20 medications

6.3
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 687 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Anxiety and Stress: "I got put on these and it took a long time before they got the dosage right. And with endep I haven't felt clearer. If it wasn't for them I could not function."

dosn't matter May 2, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Before starting this most mornings I always felt sick to my stomach and whenever I went out always had to make sure a bathroom was nearby. My doctor prescribed this to me at 5 MG a day to start slowly I got up to 10 MG a day and that is what I take now the only downside I've had with this pill is it makes me very tired for this reason I take it at night. We experimented with taking 10 MG one night then 5 MG the next it helped the tiredness but I was willing to deal with the tiredness in exchange for less pain I still have to stay away from foods that make me sick and it doesn't take away all pain but has helped tremendously and I'm very grateful for it."

Jnaomn April 26, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have been on Ambien for many years and it stopped working for me. My dr. has tried some other meds, but so far nothing seems to work. I've been on Elavil for about a week now and it seems as if I'm taking a sugar pill. It's just not working for me I wish it did work as well for as it has for others."

Mikesntx (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking this for 27 years, 50 mg a night and except for a few flare-ups, I've been virtually pain free. I find that it really depends what manufacturer the druggest purchases it from. Strange but true. I highly recommend this medicine."

SJ7 April 17, 2016

For Pain: "I'm into my third week with amitript. It was prescribed as a possible helper for what likely is a squashed sciatic nerve in the base of the spine that does the worst kinds of pain things%u20147.5ish%u2014to my butt, left leg and foot. I've had three shots of cortisone into my lower spine. Nothing. I live in hope that amitript will be effective and surgery might be avoided."

UncleDunc (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been very against any kind of mental health medication, and was very reluctant to try amitryptaline, but my anxiety and insomnia were eroding my quality of life. This has literally been a wonder drug for me, and on such a low dosage. 20mg at night and 10mg each morning. My anxiety is greatly reduced, and intrusive nagging thoughts have vanished. I don't know if this is because I am now sleeping well for the first time ever, or because of the mild sedating effects. But whatever, it certainly works, and I was so sure it wouldn't. Only side effect is a dry mouth, but that's easily remedied with a sip of water. A very positive experience. It really has changed my life for the better."

LindaAlison April 16, 2016

For Pain: "Was diagnosed with plasmacytoma in the left mandible and went through radiation therapy 5 days a week for 5 weeks. The radiation did a lot of damage to the inside of my mouth and tongue. I now have an exposed bone in my gum by the molars. I was healing nicely then out of the blue I started having severe pain in my jaw. It only lasted less than 10 minutes x 10 per day, but it would come on suddenly and was severe. My oncologist said it was probably nerve regeneration causing the nerves to spasm. He prescribed amitriptyline 10mg and said to increase every 3-4 days until I start feeling relief. I am on 30 mg now and no pain at all and yes I have been sleeping great. My mouth was already dry from the radiation so no problem."

Tjf13150 April 15, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Incredible! I've been diagnosed with IBS since I was about 12. 12-18 it was stomach ache here and there, few bad nights etc. As I entered my 20s in got a lot worse. I'd have bad days and sometimes bad weeks. If affected my work and social life, I got anxiety when going out and just worried useless I was home and close to the bathroom. Tried different medication, some made me worse and some did nothing. After changing GPs I was put on Amitriptyline, I didn't hold out much hope but after 1 month I noticed the difference. It took me a while to adjust and after 4 years of using the drug I am 98% better. On and off have bad days, but due to me eating badly as I am intolerant to Dairy and Wheat. Give it ago for at least 6 months!"

Adam A (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was given this medication for migraines, worst mistake ever, I had bad thoughts about myself, had panic attacks, lost control of myself. Only took it for two nights. Please read the paper because I didn't, only after. Never again. Good luck to everyone else x"

Palacio April 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was suffering from sever migraines for 4 years before I was put on this life saving medication. My migraines had gotten to the point where I had to quit my job of 6 years where I held the position of supervisor. I tried so many different drugs, but none of them gave me any form of relief. Even perception pain killers didn't helped during the more severe. Finally my doctor put me on 50mgs of Amitriptyline and oh my god, I have NEVER felt better!! I noticed a difference within a week of being on it! It has even helped my insomnia. I have been migraine and headache free since January 1016. The only time I get them is during my menstrual cycle but I have pain killers for during that time. I have no side effects from it at all."

C_Anderson13 April 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "My migraines have been cut in half by using 10mg elavil daily. I used to get severe headaches 2 times per month lasting at least 3 days each. Now I get about 1 every 4-6 weeks and for the most part they last a day or 2 and are Much less severe. I used to be bed ridden for days and it's happened only once or twice since starting elavil 6 months ag. I pray that this continues and that I don't build a tolerance and have to up my dosage because I don't like taking meds"

Ingipg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After years of messing around with various diets, pills, etc - and getting down to 125 lbs (I'm a 51 year old male, 5'9") - Elavil has apparently cured my IBS-D. I still avoid dairy and spicy food (also have GERD) - but basically, I'm cured. I've also gained 25 lbs - which is actually too much. It does seem to increase your appetite. But - that's a trade-off I'm willing to make. I have no idea why I wasn't given this med by my GI guy. I was actually given it by my PCP for Anxiety, and I wanted something that wouldn't make my IBS-D worse."

Cruncher Block (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "helps prevent my migraines most of of the time/"

tam2 April 5, 2016

For Pain: "Use to sleep through night time back pain. When I wake up at night it is easy to get back to sleep. I use 10 mg. Initially woke in morning with headaches but learned to take 3 hours before bedtime and no more headaches. Sometimes slightly groggy in morning but short lived. Sometimes wake in morning really stiff but had good sleep. Couple stretching exercises and good to go."

THERDP (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was given this pill for pain relief. It only worked for 3 nights, becuz I would fall asleep as soon as I went to bed. The fourth night the pain in my jaw and ear were back. I have a dry mouth constantly and am drowsy. I had a back tooth filled, becuz I had a cavity. It hurt last night a little but my jaw and ear was worse. I told dentist to pull it, but he thought he could save it and just fill it. Wrong. Now I have to call him back and get off this pill. I am sure it is my tooth."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Not only did it not help with migraines, it made me gain 40 pounds."

Ket1108 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "Been on endep 10mg for 4 weeks .for insomnia. Although it helps me sleep the longer I take it the dopier I get during day. Feel like I am permanently sedated. Like my brain is shrinking and my head is full of cotton wool all day. No motivation to do anything.."

Theg (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "This medicine has really helped me to sleep. My pain has gone down including migraines. I am still very stiff in the morning and sometimes I have weak legs. Only two side affects I've noticed, dry mouth and sleepy in the morning if I take the meds too late. But still pretty happy with the meds."

Motherofbestkids March 28, 2016

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I'm am 35 years old. My CVS showed its ugly head when I turned 21. Now I look back at my childhood and I see some signs. Took me a long time to get diagnosed but was pretty much confirmed when 10mg of Amitriptyline compleatly stopped my cycle. I had been on and off it for years. Recently after moving to a new state it seems I am now always on it. In 7 years I went from 25mg to starting today 100mg. This drug really is a life saver but I'm getting concerned I'm going to get to the max dose and have to find something else. I also take 5mg lexapro for irritability. My side effects have been dry mouth and weight gain. Which I don't mind for getting my life back."

Peanutsmom05 (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2016

For Vulvodynia: "On Dec 2015 I had excruciating cutting burning vaginal pain. Along with frequent urgency to go urinate , all the test under the sun was done but all came back negative and after 2 months of tests my urogynocologist said its volvodaneia. He prescribed Amitriptyline . I was very skeptical about this. .then finally I started with 5 mg for my body to get used it.Then 1 week after I did 10 mg...and after 10 days I went to 15 mg...that did the trick no more paib but then I amped it to 20 mg. I never thought I will be able to have normal life again but this med saved my life.In this 6 weeks of taking Amitriptyline I had few days of pain of level 2 .but rest days so far ok.no pain !! I have been told to take this med for3months."

minx10 March 18, 2016

For Pudendal Neuralgia: "Searing, burning and gnawing pain in the groin, vagina and rectum. Add at times feeling like you have a golf ball lodge in the vagina/rectum and that is pudendal neuralgia. Strong opiate pain killers did nothing, ditto that with another anti depressant and anti epileptic medication. But this, 20mg in the evening did, ending 5 months of hell."

Jay222 March 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "I been taking this for over 2 years for insomnia, anxiety and mild depression and it changed my life. For the first time in 20 years i sleep like a baby."

kcladyz (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Oops! I had put my review under the wrong category. Long story short- I got a concussion and was unexpectedly bed-ridden and in the dark both metaphorically and literally for almost 3 months. Migraines wracked me every day among other symptoms- it was basically hell on earth. My doctor prescribed me 25 mg of amitriptyline, said most of his concussion patients had a lot of success with it. Anyway, it gave me my life back. I've been on it for 4 mnths now... I don't get aura migraines anymore, head aches now are duller and infrequent :) Dry mouth, a little more constipation, had some depressed feelings when I first started but my body adjusted. I really do recommend this! Give yourself enough hours to sleep at first."

Violetrose1130 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

For Pain: "This can be a life-changer. I'm 22 and had gotten a concussion back in Nov. I was in bed every day for over 2 months, told to avoid ALL stimulation, lost a few lbs, hit with multiple migraines per day. My doc prescribed amitriptyline & within a few days of starting, I was easing back out of the dark and into the light (metaphorically and literally).This med gave me my life back and now I'm able to graduate on-time which was threatened then. Sympt: little more constipation than my usual, dry mouth, a dampened libido... they're all not bad sacrifices for me. Also, I've been aura-migraine-free since this medicine too! My aunt has been on it for almost 30 yrs and it's helped her chronic migraines as well. She's about 55 I think. Consider it!!!"

Violetrose1130 March 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed 50mg and the first time I took it this way WAY too high of a dosage. I felt drowsy for the entire day the next day like I was on drugs. I was prescribed this a few months go and I still have a many pills left because I only take it when I feel like I won't be able to sleep and I cut the pill in half so that it's only 25mg. I usually sleep like a baby but it is really hard to wake up. If I take it on the weekend I end up sleeping about 10 hours. I still feel pretty drowsy with 25mg but it wears off by the middle of the day."

Gabs747 March 9, 2016