User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 701 medications

Fibromyalgia 46 reviews 20 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 544 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "Started Amitriptyline less then six months ago for lingering on going headaches, 25 mg at night. I see a immunologist for Lupus and fibromyalgia. He sent me to a neurologist, who gave me Amitriptyline. Helped me tolerate them but they never went away. They made me cranky, irritable, and down right mean. I have muscle weakness, and can not concentrate. Dr. for Fibro wants to increase dose to 100mg. I don't see that helping my side effects since the side effects started with this med. I'm going to see GP for a third opinion and referral to a Psychiatrist. This drug is not for everyone. Be careful."

D.J.S. August 30, 2015

For Pain: "Low dose 25mg at bedtime for back pain/buldging discs-It works great!! No more daily motrin 800 which means no more daily nexium!!!"

sebic12 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Doctors could not figure out why I had pain and sleepless nights. I finally told the docs lets pretend its fibromyalgia and treat it. Doctor prescribed amitriptyline and I am 90% better. I still have occasional difficult nights but my life is much better."

hoggywood August 23, 2015

For Depression: "I have been suffering from depression almost all my life. Ive been on several different medications though out the last 10 years. I ended up with peripheral neuropathy last year and was sent to a neurologist, he put me on amitriptyline for the burning and he also said it will help with insomnia and my depression. I absolutely am happy with this drug!!! Better then Prozac, I still have feelings.(lol). Anyhow if you r debating on this medication, I recommend it 100 percent. I take 100mg a couple hours before bed, unless I get upset during the day,(then ill take 25mg just to take the edge off.) Then I'll just take 75 mgs before bed,"

wonder drug! (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 and a half years since I was 12 (now 15), due to sleeping problems. I started on 10mg doses every night for the first couple of months but that didn't work so the doctors gradually increased me up to 50 mg (current dosage). They started working for a couple of months however they no longer work but I have never had any side affects. Now I get little sleep and am often feeling sick due to lack of sleep and often can no longer concentrate at school. Hope this doesn't happen to you at work."

Liberty H August 19, 2015

For Interstitial Cystitis: "The side effects were limiting especially tiredness and not sufficient pain relief."

Susi0103 August 17, 2015

For Pain: "I'm 20 years old and have both fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I also use amitriptyline to treat my depression and my sleep. Before my rheumatologist prescribed this, I went through numerous other things which all caused me to get horrible headaches, stomach problems, and did nothing for my depression. I sleep well pretty much every night and I dont wake up feeling groggy, I dont have as many 'bad body days' anymore, and I feel way better emotionally."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking this medication to help with my bad migraines and nausea. It helped for awhile but in the past 6 months has stopped working almost completely. The major side effects I noticed were increased emotions (I cry at everything now, and I'm not a sensitive person) and I've developed serious anxiety and stress. I'm currently weaning off this medication to try something else, but it did help for awhile."

psk134psk August 15, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "A number of doctors told me there was no cure for IBS and that I just needed to watch what I ate. My misery continued for years, until I went to a gastro specialist who put me on this - it nearly cured me. I need to be a little careful with rich and spicy food but otherwise I am effectively cured using a 10mg dose."

grateful-fred August 2, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I take Endep for depression. If I take it in the evening or at night I cannot sleep at all; just toss and turn all night. Therefore, I only take it in the morning."

rlltrash (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

For Pain: "Am taking Co codomol 30/500 and Ibrufren 400mg x2 for 10 years as doctor could not find the reason for my pain. Had many scans and therapies but nothing so they just told me to take the tablets. When we moved house I changed doctors and went to him for a repeat prescription. He asked why I had been taking them so long and what doses I was taking. I was taking 8 x co comodal and 4 x ibrufen a day. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and suggested I try Amitriptyline. He suggested 10mg at first raising to 20mg if I had not side effects. He said to carry on with the pain relief when I felt I needed it. I took some time off work and went ahead. It was amazing. I slept through for the first time in 10 years. So happy and reduced pain meds by half."

Proncess Jonsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "5 years ago, my gastro Dr put me on this med for nerve pain. I was not having to take it each night, usually 3 to 4 nights of as little as 12mg, sometimes even less at 6.5 mg did the trick. I found that the medication made it a bit harder to wake up in the morning but I was able to sleep thru the night. I am now having trouble sleeping due to increased stress and anxiety and the medication has been helpful in helping me sleep. Only issue for me has been the dry mouth in the morning which is manageable, I also try to eat right and exercise daily which has helped my anxiety. In reading the reviews, I can certainly relate to what many of you are going thru. Unless you've been thru it, people have no idea what its like."

TommyABC July 27, 2015

For Pain: "Been on amitriptyline for 3-1/2 weeks now i.e. 10mg for 1st 3 weeks and now 20mg for last few days, taken at night before sleeping. It has reduced my lower back and other arthritic pains all day, helped me get better sleep, and also reduced my depression/anxiety levels considerably. So far I am a definite fan. The only negative side effect so far is occasional moderate dry mouth which is tolerable, particularly considering all the benefits."

Noofie2 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Pudendal Neuralgia: "Side effects include sleepiness, dizziness, depression (oddly enough) blurred vision"

KDelphi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015

For Vulvodynia: "This was the first medication I was prescribed once I was finally diagnosed with vulvodynia. I have experienced a tremendous improvement after two weeks of taking this medication. I was originally started on 10 mg with no relief after 2 months of use. My doctor increased it to 50 mg last month which has really worked. My personal regimen includes 50 mg amitriptyline at bedtime, Estrace topical, B complex vitamin and alpha lipoic acid. My pain went from a 7 to 2 in a matter of two weeks. It makes me constipated, so use fiber supplements daily. I was very drowsy initially, but you will adjust in a few days. Exercise and a healthy diet has greatly decreased the side affects (sleepiness, weight gain, constipation) associated with this drug."

TS0824 July 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I suffer from chronic migraines, but I am only 15 years old. I had to be taken out of school for some time because of them. I was prescribed 10 mg of amitriptyline to take everyday it it has been great. I now get very few migraines and of lesser severity. I do though experience some dizziness wich made it harder to participate in sports, but over all my experience has been good."

Sadie.nahas July 21, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was getting 18 migraines a month and it was too much to handle. I was put on another antidepressant and that sent them down to 2/3 a week. After starting Elavil, I get around 4 a month!! What an improvement!"

Ky_m July 21, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "1st started taking for depression and PTSD and anxiety. Then I got in accident, now I take it for the above AS WELL AS headaches leg pain,nerve pain in legs. Great old school drug. Oh also helps insomnia"

rastonia (taken for 10 years or more) July 20, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from migraines/daily headaches that painkillers don't touch; symptoms include visual and auditory disturbances, and sometimes even partial loss of vision. Sumatriptan's the only thing that works but I need to take it daily, often twice daily. My GP was alarmed at sumatriptan use so prescribed me 10mg amitriptyline a night, and after a couple of weeks the migraines and headaches were gone. Worked so well I went months without using sumatriptan and eventually forgot about the headaches, and stopped the amitriptyline because of the sides (huge appetite, weight gain, next day drowsiness), and I've had a migraine from hell for a week and I'm back to taking sumatriptan daily. Restarted amitriptyline, and I won't be stopping again!"

Julz001 July 18, 2015

For Insomnia: "I am in my late 60's. I have been having awful nights for about a year now, waking frequently with vivid and disturbing dreams that stay with me all day. Doctor prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline and after just two nights the difference is unbelievable. Last night I slept dreamlessly (well I wasn't aware of any) for 10 hours, only waking once for the toilet. I feel fine today, although a bit "dopey" for the first hour. Only time will tell if this will last. Does anyone know if it is a drug that can develop dependency and increasing doses?"

captain slocum (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

For Insomnia: "This med has let me finally get a good nights sleep.I'm taking 50 mg every night.It's been a long road for me I've multi-fractured all 12 of my thoracic vertebrae and ripped out a plate in my left arm (from a previous car accident)and had a total left shoulder replacement because I had a seizure in my sleep.The pain meds I'm on know are the 100 mcg fentanyl patch,and dillauded along with Keppra ,vimpat,klonopin and celexa.With all those meds I had a hard time trying to sleep now I don't."

Beakmaster July 13, 2015

For Pain: ""Been on amitriptyline for 2 weeks for nerve pain following MRI scan, which revealed a soft disc touching main nerve. It has reduced discomfort from an 9 to a 3 most days. I take 2x10 mg at night and other than some grogginess the first 3-4 days, . I sleep well on it too.""

Bowsie - Somerset , UK (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline) for Pain: "My dr prescribed this as my pain from arthritis was constantly waking me up every night from day 1 it has enabled me to get a full nights sleep I will keep taking it as nothing else has worked it does not in any way interfere with daily work, a god send"

Zubie (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2015

For Pain: "I was out on a very low dose for unexplained right upper quadrant pain. I can not believe the difference this has made. Not only for the pain, but I was also starting to go into depression because they can't figure out what is causing my pain. After being hospitalized my gastro recommended I try it along with getting into pain management. I very rarely have to take a pain pill. I actually went 2 weeks without a pain pill. I'm very pleased with my results."

amazin' (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2015

For Insomnia: "My family has a history of sleeping issues, (insomnia, hyper insomnia, narcolepsy) so it was no surprise when I started to see the signs, we went to the doctors and they gave me this and my words it was AMAZING. I loved, and still love getting sleep ."

Tired Teenager (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015