User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 784 medications

Fibromyalgia 61 reviews 20 medications

6.3
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 705 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "Have been taking for over 1 week now fibromyalgia pain, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 2 weeks but I felt better after one day of using it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been dealing with IBS for about 2 years now, NOTHING was working. The doctors tried everything to see if they could help my pain and stomach problems. About 1 month ago my doctor prescribed this medication and my stomach pains are 99% gone. I take a 10 mg pill every night and it not only helps with my IBS, it also helps with my anxiety. I would recommend this medication to anyone! I can start living the life that I had before IBS, its amazing!"

Vron07 May 25, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline) for Depression: "I have only been on this drug for two weeks and as yet not noticed any difference with my depression. My anxiety levels are up, I have swooshing, buzzing noises in my ears, I even feel dizzy while seated and even just turning my head from side to side. I have noticed tingling in my fingers. My balance is affected, feeling like a drunk person. My head throbs."

poey May 23, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been battling Gastrointestinal problems from day one, but for the last two years, I've been suffering intolerable pain. two GP's and two gastroenerologists later I was still having problems with no clear diagnosis. Finally, I saw a new GP last week, that seemed to chalk my symptoms up to IBS, and she prescribed me this medication. I've only been on 1/2 a 25mg pill each evening for five days, and already my symptoms have vastly improved. There's brief pain for about 10 minutes occasionally, but it passes quickly now and is far less severe, and I'm not kept up all night by the pain anymore like before. No ill effects, as I take it in the evening about an hour before bedtime. This medication is a godsend for me!"

Big-E73 May 21, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was given elavil for my migraine. .I've been taking 10 my for 1 week N now week 2 up to 20mg..I also have dealt with ibs-c..the migraine/headaches hav subsided a little..but my bloating N cramping N nausea r all still there..it did help my sleep the first week but I've had trouble sleeping on week 2..from the other testimonials on here I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks to see if more improvement occurs.."

Nana tonya (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was on Acutane for acne. However, it caused my IBS. I was in severe pain. I tried diet changes and that seemed to help. My doctor gave me this wonderful pill! If i take it every night, I have almost no pain. I would recommend this to anyone! The only side effect that I have is a dry mouth, but I can handle that any day!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I have had insomia for months. Dr started me on Elavil 10mg for sleep, within a half hour I'm a sleep. I have not slept this good in a long time. I am not a zombie either in the mornings. I feel very good when I awake. Best thing."

Feefee40215 May 18, 2016

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have had interstitial cystitis for 2 months. Had it 10 yrs ago but it came back. Tried an herb marshmallow root helped a little. I kept reading that anti inflammatories help so I took naproxen for 4 days the pain stopped. Took it for a total of a week I have been pain free for a week now I know why so many websites suggested it"

A H May 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given amitriptyline 50mg for migraine. I also take serzone. I was taking 250 MG when amitriptyline was prescribed. I now take 150mg but am still taking 50mg of amitriptyline. I have had seratonin syndrome in the past. Is the ratio of Serzone and amitriptyline safe or will it cause me to have seratonin syndrome again."

Chris. May 16, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "It gave more energy"

pidgion (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This has worked very well for me.I Still have bouts now and then, but nothing like before the medication. I take 25 mg per day. If I am having cramps and/or frequent loose stools, I'll take an additional 12.5 mg (split a 25mg tab) during the day. I take the 25 at night, which also aids in sleep. Only negative side affect is some mild to moderate urine retention. This is in part due to also having BPH. But the goods outweigh the negatives."

Redmustang96 May 13, 2016

For Pain: "Was depressed with Psychologie and pains. Amitriptyline was prescribt. It is very good. Side effect are dry mouth and dizziness but works really"

Mosesking (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was given 10mg a night of amitriptyline for insomnia. I slept all night but was very dopey the next day so now take half (5mg). I'm still a bit slow in the morning but am sleeping well. I just have a dry mouth next morning. Not much of a price to pay."

Mon Somnifère May 10, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have fibromyalgia and suffered with anxiety and migraines also menopause is setting in. More recently I had an mri and they also found a syrinx ( cyst like in my spinal cord) in the neck area. I have taken anti depessants before and have reacted badly too them. Amitryptiline 10mg at night was offered to me to help with sleep and pain. It's great, I sleep through no more toilet trips or lying awake all night. I have an interest in life again I had become quite house bound but I'm up and about even walked round town which I haven't done in years. It's only a small dose and it's worked brilliantly."

Ally800 May 8, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "well, i have fibromyalgia. my doc gave me gabapentin or something like that, which made my pain lower, but then again, i was asleep, because it made me sooo sleepy, and angry, very very very angry, and crying spells, ugh!, I did not want any more pills, but my doc gave me amitriptyline hcl 10, but after reading the reviews i am honestly afraid to drink it... i feel lost...but i was told to go Paleo diet, which i researched and heard good things about. I may go Paleo and pill, and see what helps me more."

njm1 May 8, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I hate this medicine I think I ruined me I lost a year of my life on this pill I didn't do anything for my migraines at all, I slept for up to 16 hours a day on it and it made me stupid. I became a d average student my jr year of high school if I accidentally missed a days dose I would have to skip school because I would be puking all day because of it. I absolutely hate the medicine if you can't tell."

August19 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day."

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "Been taking it for 4 months and while it does give me a full nights sleep 8 to 10 hrs finally ☺ I am super stupid the next day until 3 or 4 and have very little motivation or energy so have decided to stop taking it."

Toosleepy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I got put on these and it took a long time before they got the dosage right. And with endep I haven't felt clearer. If it wasn't for them I could not function."

dosn't matter May 2, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Before starting this most mornings I always felt sick to my stomach and whenever I went out always had to make sure a bathroom was nearby. My doctor prescribed this to me at 5 MG a day to start slowly I got up to 10 MG a day and that is what I take now the only downside I've had with this pill is it makes me very tired for this reason I take it at night. We experimented with taking 10 MG one night then 5 MG the next it helped the tiredness but I was willing to deal with the tiredness in exchange for less pain I still have to stay away from foods that make me sick and it doesn't take away all pain but has helped tremendously and I'm very grateful for it."

Jnaomn April 26, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have been on Ambien for many years and it stopped working for me. My dr. has tried some other meds, but so far nothing seems to work. I've been on Elavil for about a week now and it seems as if I'm taking a sugar pill. It's just not working for me I wish it did work as well for as it has for others."

Mikesntx (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking this for 27 years, 50 mg a night and except for a few flare-ups, I've been virtually pain free. I find that it really depends what manufacturer the druggest purchases it from. Strange but true. I highly recommend this medicine."

SJ7 April 17, 2016

For Pain: "I'm into my third week with amitript. It was prescribed as a possible helper for what likely is a squashed sciatic nerve in the base of the spine that does the worst kinds of pain things%u20147.5ish%u2014to my butt, left leg and foot. I've had three shots of cortisone into my lower spine. Nothing. I live in hope that amitript will be effective and surgery might be avoided."

UncleDunc (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been very against any kind of mental health medication, and was very reluctant to try amitryptaline, but my anxiety and insomnia were eroding my quality of life. This has literally been a wonder drug for me, and on such a low dosage. 20mg at night and 10mg each morning. My anxiety is greatly reduced, and intrusive nagging thoughts have vanished. I don't know if this is because I am now sleeping well for the first time ever, or because of the mild sedating effects. But whatever, it certainly works, and I was so sure it wouldn't. Only side effect is a dry mouth, but that's easily remedied with a sip of water. A very positive experience. It really has changed my life for the better."

LindaAlison April 16, 2016

For Pain: "Was diagnosed with plasmacytoma in the left mandible and went through radiation therapy 5 days a week for 5 weeks. The radiation did a lot of damage to the inside of my mouth and tongue. I now have an exposed bone in my gum by the molars. I was healing nicely then out of the blue I started having severe pain in my jaw. It only lasted less than 10 minutes x 10 per day, but it would come on suddenly and was severe. My oncologist said it was probably nerve regeneration causing the nerves to spasm. He prescribed amitriptyline 10mg and said to increase every 3-4 days until I start feeling relief. I am on 30 mg now and no pain at all and yes I have been sleeping great. My mouth was already dry from the radiation so no problem."

Tjf13150 April 15, 2016