User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 699 medications

Fibromyalgia 45 reviews 20 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 535 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I take Endep for depression. If I take it in the evening or at night I cannot sleep at all; just toss and turn all night. Therefore, I only take it in the morning."

rlltrash (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

For Pain: "Am taking Co codomol 30/500 and Ibrufren 400mg x2 for 10 years as doctor could not find the reason for my pain. Had many scans and therapies but nothing so they just told me to take the tablets. When we moved house I changed doctors and went to him for a repeat prescription. He asked why I had been taking them so long and what doses I was taking. I was taking 8 x co comodal and 4 x ibrufen a day. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and suggested I try Amitriptyline. He suggested 10mg at first raising to 20mg if I had not side effects. He said to carry on with the pain relief when I felt I needed it. I took some time off work and went ahead. It was amazing. I slept through for the first time in 10 years. So happy and reduced pain meds by half."

Proncess Jonsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "5 years ago, my gastro Dr put me on this med for nerve pain. I was not having to take it each night, usually 3 to 4 nights of as little as 12mg, sometimes even less at 6.5 mg did the trick. I found that the medication made it a bit harder to wake up in the morning but I was able to sleep thru the night. I am now having trouble sleeping due to increased stress and anxiety and the medication has been helpful in helping me sleep. Only issue for me has been the dry mouth in the morning which is manageable, I also try to eat right and exercise daily which has helped my anxiety. In reading the reviews, I can certainly relate to what many of you are going thru. Unless you've been thru it, people have no idea what its like."

TommyABC July 27, 2015

For Pain: "Been on amitriptyline for 3-1/2 weeks now i.e. 10mg for 1st 3 weeks and now 20mg for last few days, taken at night before sleeping. It has reduced my lower back and other arthritic pains all day, helped me get better sleep, and also reduced my depression/anxiety levels considerably. So far I am a definite fan. The only negative side effect so far is occasional moderate dry mouth which is tolerable, particularly considering all the benefits."

Noofie2 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Pudendal Neuralgia: "Side effects include sleepiness, dizziness, depression (oddly enough) blurred vision"

KDelphi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015

For Vulvodynia: "This was the first medication I was prescribed once I was finally diagnosed with vulvodynia. I have experienced a tremendous improvement after two weeks of taking this medication. I was originally started on 10 mg with no relief after 2 months of use. My doctor increased it to 50 mg last month which has really worked. My personal regimen includes 50 mg amitriptyline at bedtime, Estrace topical, B complex vitamin and alpha lipoic acid. My pain went from a 7 to 2 in a matter of two weeks. It makes me constipated, so use fiber supplements daily. I was very drowsy initially, but you will adjust in a few days. Exercise and a healthy diet has greatly decreased the side affects (sleepiness, weight gain, constipation) associated with this drug."

TS0824 July 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I suffer from chronic migraines, but I am only 15 years old. I had to be taken out of school for some time because of them. I was prescribed 10 mg of amitriptyline to take everyday it it has been great. I now get very few migraines and of lesser severity. I do though experience some dizziness wich made it harder to participate in sports, but over all my experience has been good."

Sadie.nahas July 21, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was getting 18 migraines a month and it was too much to handle. I was put on another antidepressant and that sent them down to 2/3 a week. After starting Elavil, I get around 4 a month!! What an improvement!"

Ky_m July 21, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "1st started taking for depression and PTSD and anxiety. Then I got in accident, now I take it for the above AS WELL AS headaches leg pain,nerve pain in legs. Great old school drug. Oh also helps insomnia"

rastonia (taken for 10 years or more) July 20, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from migraines/daily headaches that painkillers don't touch; symptoms include visual and auditory disturbances, and sometimes even partial loss of vision. Sumatriptan's the only thing that works but I need to take it daily, often twice daily. My GP was alarmed at sumatriptan use so prescribed me 10mg amitriptyline a night, and after a couple of weeks the migraines and headaches were gone. Worked so well I went months without using sumatriptan and eventually forgot about the headaches, and stopped the amitriptyline because of the sides (huge appetite, weight gain, next day drowsiness), and I've had a migraine from hell for a week and I'm back to taking sumatriptan daily. Restarted amitriptyline, and I won't be stopping again!"

Julz001 July 18, 2015

For Insomnia: "I am in my late 60's. I have been having awful nights for about a year now, waking frequently with vivid and disturbing dreams that stay with me all day. Doctor prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline and after just two nights the difference is unbelievable. Last night I slept dreamlessly (well I wasn't aware of any) for 10 hours, only waking once for the toilet. I feel fine today, although a bit "dopey" for the first hour. Only time will tell if this will last. Does anyone know if it is a drug that can develop dependency and increasing doses?"

captain slocum (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

For Insomnia: "This med has let me finally get a good nights sleep.I'm taking 50 mg every night.It's been a long road for me I've multi-fractured all 12 of my thoracic vertebrae and ripped out a plate in my left arm (from a previous car accident)and had a total left shoulder replacement because I had a seizure in my sleep.The pain meds I'm on know are the 100 mcg fentanyl patch,and dillauded along with Keppra ,vimpat,klonopin and celexa.With all those meds I had a hard time trying to sleep now I don't."

Beakmaster July 13, 2015

For Pain: ""Been on amitriptyline for 2 weeks for nerve pain following MRI scan, which revealed a soft disc touching main nerve. It has reduced discomfort from an 9 to a 3 most days. I take 2x10 mg at night and other than some grogginess the first 3-4 days, . I sleep well on it too.""

Bowsie - Somerset , UK (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline) for Pain: "My dr prescribed this as my pain from arthritis was constantly waking me up every night from day 1 it has enabled me to get a full nights sleep I will keep taking it as nothing else has worked it does not in any way interfere with daily work, a god send"

Zubie (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2015

For Pain: "I was out on a very low dose for unexplained right upper quadrant pain. I can not believe the difference this has made. Not only for the pain, but I was also starting to go into depression because they can't figure out what is causing my pain. After being hospitalized my gastro recommended I try it along with getting into pain management. I very rarely have to take a pain pill. I actually went 2 weeks without a pain pill. I'm very pleased with my results."

amazin' (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2015

For Insomnia: "My family has a history of sleeping issues, (insomnia, hyper insomnia, narcolepsy) so it was no surprise when I started to see the signs, we went to the doctors and they gave me this and my words it was AMAZING. I loved, and still love getting sleep ."

Tired Teenager (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015

For Insomnia: "I had a very hard time sleeping. Most of the time I would stay up till 5 or 6 in the morning. I tried this pill and oh boy did it work. I love the feeling of being sleepy when I take these because I don't really know what that feels like anymore since I can never sleep. I am only on 20mg but I vary from 20mg to 40mg. I do not feel like they are addictive but I do enjoy how they put me right to sleep. They are great pills if you have trouble sleeping."

Renee205 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

For Insomnia: "For years I couldn't sleep properly, i could get to sleep most nights but woke every 2-3hours or to any slight noise. It all caught up with me & I was an anxious sleep deprived freak who was on prozac. I went to a new Dr about constant migraines & he started me on amitriptyline 75mg, the first few days I felt so weird but after a week or so it kicked in. My migraines stopped, my anxiety was so much better & a strange side effect was that I could finally sleep through a whole night! I am so grateful this drug is around, I am no longer a sleep deprived freak :D good for my depression too mixed with 40mg prozac. YaY Endep"

wilsal June 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication literally is a life saver. I've had chronic migraines for 10 years. I was on 10mg for 6 months then my migraines came back. My doctor upped my dosage to 20 and now it's back to normal. But one side effect I can't seem to shake off is sleepiness. I'm sleeping close to 16 hours+ a day."

Chelseajeansm (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2015

For Insomnia: "I'm on 200mg and it has completely cured my insomnia and helped my chronic back pain. Non addictive and regardless of other posts, you do not build tolerance to this drug. I can't understand doctors who prescribe addictive, dangerous sleeping drugs over this!"

never sleeps (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2015

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I started at 10 mg on this, but quickly went to 25 mg, as the pain was too much. Now I´ve levelled it to 20 mg per day, in the evening, and it has been wonderful, This, along with a careful diet, have helped and almost put in remission my IC symptoms. Side effects for me include grogginess, but that´s wearing away the more I take it and, for sure, a huge spike in my apetite, which I´ve had to be careful about as I don´t want to gain weight on it. It´s not a miracle drug, but it worked for me, and I think anyone suffering from this condition should give it a try."

anagum June 18, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been experiencing severe migraines 2 times per month over last 3-4 years, that include terrible vertigo and would last about a week. The vertigo was more debilitating than the migraine. Couldn't work or drive. In between migraines I experienced regular daily headaches. Started seeing a neurologist who initially prescribed beta blockers (propranolol) with little result. Then changed tact to Amitriptyline which I am on 10mg per day taken at night. Started about a month ago and am yet to have a migraine and headaches have also significantly improved to maybe 2 light headaches (more tension headaches really) per week. I am more than satisfied with the result and couldn't believe how quickly it had an impact. Early days yet though."

Nessie.7 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi I have been on 25mg since a year and half ego. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I refuse to take any mess but it got so bad I had to do something. My pcp put me on zoloft ..that pill gave me such bad side effects I though was going to die..so I went to a psychiatrist and she put me on elavil I wad so nervousabout starting new medication but I knew I had to try it she prescribe 25 milligrams 3 times a day I know my body and I knew that was a high dose for an so I started with 25mg..and yes it made me really really tired so I took it at night and within 2 weeks I felt so much better.I still get tired but it helps me sleep I love this medication"

Missy83 June 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have stress for 5 years since I had car accident. Every day I feel very uncomfortable and wish I could have a normal life. I went to this page and decided to take this drug. I got my life back."

Anonymous June 12, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Had really bad migraines for years got worse with age I'm 48 now and a femail doctor has prescribed them 10 milg at first nothing changed but 3 months in I've had no migraine for nearly a month and half or even headaches and I'm not craving either feel great ."

Vivienne12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015