User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 776 medications

6.1
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 499 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Insomnia: "After trying many different anti-depressants and sleep aids with little to no results, my doctor put me on 75mg of Amitriptyline for severe postpartum depression and anxiety with insomnia. This was the miracle I needed. I sleep really well now am back to my happy,healthy self. I have dry mouth as a side effect, but I have learned to chew gum and use biotene at bed time. This regimen has made that one side effect tolerable and I don't mind it, considering what this medicine has done for me. I workout regularly and watch what I eat so I have not experienced any weight gain."

Trisha V. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

For Pain: "I was put on Amitriptyline 25mg. at Mayo Clinic in 1983. After a through work up they thought I had MS, but then gave the diagnosis of Neuropathy pain. At this time I'm taking 50mg. @ bed time, which has been the only thing that works. I'm able to sleep w/o pain. Now I just tried to refill the prescription and the cost is $219.00 for 180 pills. The last time filled 12/2014 $16.00/180 pills. Even tho this is a Generic why the higher cost?? Just can't afford it anymore. Don't know what I'm going to do. Have tried Tegratol, Cymbalta and many others, NOTHING ELSE WORKS."

Glitzylady May 8, 2015

For Depression: "I feel way better on Elavil than cymbalta. I'm back to being Me ,not a grumpy stressed monster. I'm going to call my Dr to personally thank him for switching me."

kurt H May 5, 2015

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I started amitriptyline about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a miracle drug. But it has stopped working in the last 2 months. I've been in the ER 5 times in 2 months. 2 episodes fell on a day I had wakes to go to, and missed them due to CVS. Has anyone had success with any other medications? I am desperate for a new med before I loose my job!!!!"

Sharon Downs April 28, 2015

For Pain: "Dr. started me on Endep 2 months ago for chronic pain in the long bones caused by side effects from Chronic Myaloid Leukaemia medication. It's the first time in nine years that I have felt "almost" normal! It makes me tired so I take it at night. The only drawback is dry mouth and loss of taste. The taste thing is driving me up the wall, and I don't know that I can live with it. So now I have to weigh up the pros & cons of living without tasting my food, or living without pain."

qcathy April 26, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on this anti-depressant for many years and while it has helped me to sleep, I have had really bad tinnitus, so I won't be taking it again."

moggilicious (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS since I can remember as a child I thought it was a normal thing cause I've had it all my life. I'm in my 20's now and a few years ago is when my ibs got out of control. I've had many medical visits to the ER for my ibs pain and boy let me tell you the pain is unimaginable. I even contemplated suicide yes I was in that much pain and suffering after many failed attempts from different medications I did my extensive research and pretty much told my doctor that I wanted to try this medication im on 25mg this medication is a miracle why have these doctors been hiding this medication from ibs suffers iam now pain free and I can live my life with my family and enjoy every minute of it please try this medication it does wonders"

david c. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 months now - I take 10mg morning and night due to how severe my irritable bowel syndrome is. I can eat everything now and have no side effects - I used to have diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramps & bad gas every time I ate gluten, dairy, spicy foods, onion, garlic and coffee (I've suffered from IBS for 8 years) This medicine has changed my life."

kellyratkovic291284 April 14, 2015

For Insomnia: "For me, this is/was a very effective hypnotic. It literally saved my life when I had lost my ability to sleep due to a damaged CNS. I started off at 25 mgs per night and eventually increased my dosage up to 50 mgs per night. Over time I was able to cut my dosage down to ~6 1/4 mgs per night before moving on to a more desirable hypnotic. The biggest down side is its anticholinergic effects...nothing like waking up with a mouth full of sand."

Am-I-tripping-Yet (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

For Insomnia: "I tried many of them. Amitriptyline worked the best. I only took up to 20mg."

tricyclics April 11, 2015

For Pain: "Been on amitriptyline for 2 weeks for nerve pain after shingles. It has reduced discomfort from an 8 to a 3 most days. I take 10 mg at night and other than some grogginess the first 3-4 days, no side effects. I sleep well on it too."

Hudsongrl April 9, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had stomach problem since 2009. I am not going into detail cause no one is interested in my entire experience with IBS. I should say that due to IBS I had to quit university, part time job and worse of all the woman I have been with since many years left me. So I went from being one of the most social people to being one of the most lonely people. A doctor one day wrote me a script for "amitriptyline" I don't need to explain how it effected not only on my stomach but it has brought a great change in my life as a whole, it was just spot on!"

javadhikmati (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Insomnia: "Very effective in treating chronic insomnia with very few, minor side effects!"

Fat Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

For Insomnia: "I stopped sleeping totally at some point in my life and after a lot of struggle my doctor put me on amitriptyline. I hated the thought of being on a psychotic drug but with my body clearly denying me sleep, I had no choice. Amitriptyline felt like a miracle. My first night, I slept a deep volume of dreamless sleep. My eyes wouldn't even open. Aside from having a dry mouth and having a really irritating taste in my mouth, it was perfect. Four years down the line, I am still on amitriptyline. The 50mg dosage works well for me. I have increased dosage and reduced it over the years but 50mg has remained my regular dose"

sharer April 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've taken amitriptyline off and on for 8 years & have had migraines for almost 30 years (I'm 41). 25mg cuts migraines down to 3-4/month (rather than the 5-10 /month I get with no medication), and carb cravings are quite manageable. No weight gain at 25mg, even after several months. When I tried 50mg, I had a hard time controlling carb cravings and gained 10lbs over 2 months; but, I didn't make much effort to fight carb cravings. I suspect if one exercises moderately and watches carb intake, weight gain can be avoided, even at "higher" doses (25mg+). I'm now taking 40mg. Side-effects from anti-convulsants & beta blockers were intolerable for me- far worse than the dry mouth & carb cravings I get with amitriptyline. A great drug overall."

abmtily (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 1, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been diagnosed with migraines since I was 9. I am 33 today. My migraines are acute and chronic. As I got older, they increased in frequency and severity. At a certaine point I was hospitalized weekly. I could no longer function as a normal person. School, excerise, relationships, friendships were impossible. It made me even more depressed that noone understood my pain and some thought I was faking it. I was finally pronounced "disabled" afew years ago which made getting a job nearly impossible. I wanted to end my life because of this many times. The 6 months ago, an ER doctor suggested Tryptizol. To me, it is a miracle drug. I only have migraines once a month with my period. I am proof that hope exists. I wish I used it sooner."

Amooli March 26, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Amitriptyline is nothing short of a miracle for me. I used to be plagued by terrible migraines. I've been taking amitriptyline for about 25 years, and I have not had a single migraine in all that time."

Charlie P (taken for 10 years or more) March 25, 2015

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Started on 10mg of amitriptyline for my Interstitial Cystitis related nerve pain. Went up to 20mg after a month and it has been a miracle at reducing my pain for the last six months that I have been on it. I haven't experienced any weight gain while on it. I felt groggy at first but that went away after a few weeks."

Saiiri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was 21 totally healthy male without ANY health problems. One morning I woke up with a horrible headache and it only continued to get worse. I experienced headaches 24 hours a day for months. I had every test known and they couldn't find anything wrong me. I have took 75mg of amitriptyline for close to 4 years now. The drug has worked wonders on me and as long as I take my medication every night, I never experience a headache unless under extreme stress. Wonder drug, mild side effects. First few years dry mouth was really intense. It is harder for me to fall asleep now, have to take 5-10mg of melatonin as well. Hoping to ween off the medication shortly tho, as I don't want my whole life to be controlled through a pill bottle."

Chrissss March 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "My daughter is16. She started getting migraines around age 12. At first they were every 3 months for a year then once a month and this last year at age 15 they became two or three times a week! We tried Imitrex nose spray and once the urgent care gave her Fioricet. Nothing worked. She had severe aura, loss of vision then the headache followed by vomiting. Also once she was given Topamax which had too many bad side effects. She will be going to Germany for one year as a foreign exchange student and I was going to have to cancel that if we couldn't find a way to get this under control. I took her to a children's neurologist and she gave her Amitriptyline. It has been an absolute miracle for us!! No side effects & NO more migraines!"

Litzlogs March 21, 2015

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis several months ago. The pain was so debilitating that I couldn't even see patients for about 3 days (I'm a dentist). The pain brought me to tears. I was afraid that I would have to go on disibility. My new urologist put me on amytripyline a few weeks ago. It worked almost immediately. Most days I'm almost pain-free. I got my life back."

Lara M. March 20, 2015

For Insomnia: "Currently at 200mg to control insomnia and migraines. Only small side effect is occasional slight dizziness. Other than that, now that I am on correct dosage, minimal side effects and complete relief from issues.. as an aside, was unable to get refill for a week once and experienced extreme, worsening withdrawal symptoms: constant, mild headaches. Diarrhea. Vomiting. Debilitating nausea, dizziness and vertigo. Runny nose. Complete loss of appetite. Feeling dehydrated. Constant panic attacks: uncontrollable anxiety, racing heart, profuse sweating and feeling dehydrated and like I'm gasping for air. I've had remarkable success with the drug, but I caution anyone considering stopping to confer w their dr and wean off rather than cold turkey."

manda a. March 16, 2015

For Insomnia: "I had been on this medication in the past and discontinued usage after I got pregnant. I started back a few months ago, not realizing what the side effects were. I started gaining weight incredibly fast with no change to my diet and exercise and wasn't going to the bathroom unless I used a laxative. I was stumped and depressed about it up until yesterday when I spoke with a GI doctor. FINALLY I had an answer only after many visits to my family doctor and many co-payments which added up quickly (with no solution). Needless to say, I am so relieved to finally know what is going on with me... 20 lbs later but I see the light at the end of tunnel. Hope this helps."

Boo Bah March 13, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Brought daily migraine headaches down to 1-4 a month"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I suffer from post concussion headaches, no other medicine helped. Seemed to make everything worse, sensitive to light headaches, pain in eye and neck. One little pill and its gone slept like a baby ....highly recommend."

squeaker71 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015