User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 741 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 415 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by Dear Old Dad (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: My husband has bi-polar disorder and suffers from chronic back / sciatic work-related pain. He'd only been (restlessly) sleeping 2-3 hours a night for past 10 years. This had increased his mood swings and cyclothymia to unmanageable proportions!! UK doctor prescribed 10mg amitriptyline, to be taken at night 2 hours before bed. After two weeks this was increased to 20mg per night. The effect has been nothing short of miraculous. He sleeps really well for 7-8 hours a night, wakes refreshed & cheerful. It's helped him cope differently with depression - staying calm & getting CBT therapy. (Something he'd never have volunteered for in his 'normal' bi-polar anger / depression cycling). Has also noticed lessening of pain. It's saved our marriage.

September 10, 2014 9:36 AM

Review by Gemma A:

For Migraine Prevention: Have had migraine since 15. Tried everything including this medication over the past 18 years and nothing ever helped. This is just one of the meds that made my migraines worse which sometimes I thought was impossible. Started Botox for chronic migraine in March and it's amazing!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 2:33 PM

Review by LindzO:

For Migraine Prevention: I have chronic Lyme disease and one of the worst things I suffer with is pain, EVERY DAY for the last 6 years. I have tried many things to help, both homeopathic and medicines prescribed by a doctor. I found a new doctor months ago who prescribed me Elavil. I'm always a bit apprehensive about taking medicines even though I know I don't have much choice if I want my life back. So I agreed to try 10mg of Elavil at bedtime every night. I can't believe how much it has helped. After four days, I woke up pain free for the first time in 6 years and I actually had a good cry! It's been a miracle. I've been far more active lately and am even aiming to get back to work again. I hope that other people with Lyme/chronic headaches see this and try it too.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 12:39 PM

For Insomnia: I have taken this medication during certain times in my life due to events and change of time zones for long periods of time when my sleep pattern is broken. It is great. I have been able to stay at 25 mg without increase for more than a year and work myself off when fully recovered. Be prepared to wait for it to kick in up to 2 weeks after starting it. It needs to fully get into your system. Everyones body is different. Recently I tried zolpidem for a more immediate sleep and found I could only get 4 hours a night. I read about the addiction of it and possible rebound insomnia after weaning yourself off. I am going back to that old model medicine, Amitriiptyline. It is great and I get back to a 7-8 hour sleep pattern.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 12:08 PM

Review by JumpJump (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Dysautonomia: Improved neurological functions, less flare-ups of the autonomic system. Helps - body temperature regulation has become a little better, able to sweat a little now, able to swallow now with no problems, hand tremors a majority of the time, and about half the adrenaline rushes than before. Does not help - sleep, heart rate and blood pressure, GI problems (gastroparesis, stomach pains, or constipation), heat intolerance, brain fog (memory problems). Has had to increase medication a few times, but am still on it. I am still on this medication and would not want to go off this - I have seen improvement.

August 31, 2014 5:43 AM

Review by Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc.

August 30, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by looksharp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This medicine is amazing. After 10 years of chronic diarrhea, fecal urgency and other Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms, I went to see the gastro as I was doubled over in colic-type pain up to 3 times a month. He gave me 25mg to take at night and I haven't looked back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by Child suffering (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: My daughter was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome at age 10, she lost 13 lb on a few week time frame. She had a EGD and other test. The doctor then prescribed Amitriptyline 25 mg at bedtime if helped. She stayed on it the entire school year, we then took her off of it for the summer. Things were going great until this week and she has had to episodes we will be starting her back on it today. We also use Zofran as needed.

August 25, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by 11walker11:

For Migraine Prevention: 30 to 40 min after taking migraine was twice as bad and both arms felt like they where on fire, another one to add to the list of things I react strangely to.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: I was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome almost 2 years ago. I have been on Amitriptyline for about a year and a half. I recently went off because I ran out of refills and my insurance changed making a specialist visit expensive. Within a week I was extremely nauseous. The doctor called me in more and I started talking it again. Within a few days it went away. I am so thankful for this medication.

August 19, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Jordan, San Jose (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Interstitial Cystitis: Amitriptyline is very effective in my Interstitial Cystitis treatment. I took half of 25mg at dinner time. Both frequency and urgency went away.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by Tessa2211:

For Migraine Prevention: Had migraines since I was 6. The past 1.5 year's I've had migraine every single day. I'm now 33 years old and have this medicine since February this year. The first 3 months I had 25 mg, now 10mg. Headaches were completely gone. Since I have the lower dosage, it's coming back a bit so I will go back to 20 -25mg. This is the first medicine that's actually working so I am very happy with it !

August 12, 2014 8:20 AM

Review by bulldog2222 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Stopped my migraines. Hard to get over the side effects. Hard to get out of bed in the morning but well worth it. Side effects go away after a month or so.

August 8, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation

August 2, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I have tried numerous sleep aids, from natural, over the counter, to prescribed, and this one by far works the best for me. I was prescribed 25mg to take at bed. It does help me fall asleep a little faster, because it helps my brain "shut off", and it definitely helps me sleep better. I still wake up through out the night, but not as much, and falling back asleep is a lot easier. It does make me feel slightly groggy in the morning, and I am having slight dry mouth. The benefit outweighs the side effects for sure. I've tried Trazodone, and that didn't help at all, and experienced the rare side effect of painful erection...that was awful.

August 2, 2014 9:15 AM

Review by JLS80 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I was having an anxiety disorder (shaking hands, blushing, obsessions) I was put on sertraline but had a terrible side effect to this and was put on 20mg amitriptyline to counteract this. From moment I took it my hands stopped shaking and intrusive thoughts reduced. I was upped to 50mg and I am back to my old self. Hardly any worries at all, no shaking, feel happy. No dry mouth but I have put probably a stone of weight on and gone up 1-2 dress sizes. This side effect is worth it for the benefits it has given me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 8:49 AM

Review by John2986:

For Anxiety and Stress: Initially on citalopram 20mg and felt horrible and more panicky so doctor moved me on to Sertraline 50mg and propranolol to stop the fast heart rate. Eventually built upto 100mg but still didn't solve the anxiety and restlessness that I had. Now I'm taking Amitryptyline 25mg twice a day and feel so much better. I don't feel as anxious during the day and at night when my anxiety gets worse, amitryptyline helps me get a good nights sleep. I've noticed a big difference since being on amitryptyline and with less side effects that citalopram and sertraline.

July 29, 2014 5:27 AM

Review by camsgram (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I'm taking this more as a mood stabilizer. The medicine has caused my tongue to be sore, excessive dry lips, mouth and throat. It has help with my mood though. I can't take this medicine anymore. I'm contacting my doctor for some other medication.

July 26, 2014 7:43 PM

Review by Lou95 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I suffered from irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea at least 3 times a day. I have now been on the medication for over two months and I cried with happiness at my follow-up! I have had diarrhea TWICE since I started taking the medication. This medication has genuinely saved my life.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I'm 27 years old, I was diagnosed with Acute Migraines and my family Dr. prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 25MG right before Bed. I have had no headaches since then never told I would feel better. But my sensitivity to light has become very bad and I spend the morning hours very sleepy.

July 23, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by Socially disfinctional:

For Anxiety and Stress: Although I have gained 20 lbs on this medicine I feel much better overall. I take 125mg at bedtime and haven't slept so good in 25 yrs. I started on a dosage of 25 mg which did nothing. Not even make me sleepy. Had immediate relief after the dosage was regulated. This in conjunction with anti anxiety medication has helped tremendously. I just have to exercise daily and keep a watch over what I eat. But that is a small trade for the drastic change in my overall well being and frame of mind.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 12:44 PM

Review by nas9999:

For Migraine Prevention: Suffered all my life and this medicine was the best thing to ever happen to me!

July 20, 2014 11:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Hyperhidrosis: I was put on Amitriptyline to aid in sleep while on Prozac. When I discontinued the Prozac and the amitriptyline because I no longer needed an antidepressant, I noticed an old problem with hyperhidrosis reappeared. I went back on just 5mg of the amitriptyline and the results were amazing. No more sweating and feeling very calm all day long.

July 19, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Annesa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I been suffering with migraines for 6 years. I was hospitalized because of nausea, dizziness, blurred vision etc. 6 years ago and my nuerologist prescribed me Imitrex (Sumatriptan) and Fioricet. The Imitrex stops the migraines as soon as I took them but the Fioricet was the pill that I was suppose to take on a daily use. But the migraines just kept on coming everyday. Not a day go by without a constant migraine. I was recently hospitalized and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis ... my doctor in the hospital was a neurologist. I was not sleeping and started suffering from insomnia. My neurologist prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 10MG. Yesterday was the first time I took the pill and its a miracle. No migraines today.

July 17, 2014 9:57 PM