User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Interstitial Cystitis

Review by Jordan, San Jose (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Amitriptyline is very effective in my Interstitial Cystitis treatment. I took half of 25mg at dinner time. Both frequency and urgency went away.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by Mollie1983 (taken for less than 1 month):

I think this medication really helped with the Interstitial Cystitis but unfortunately it gave me terrible headaches. Every morning - after about a week of taking 10 mg's of this - I'd wake up with a terrible migraine. It would last all day! At first I wasn't sure if it was the medication but now I'm positive. I stopped taking it (after 3 weeks of use) and my headaches all but disappeared. In my opinion, the headaches were just as bad as the Interstitial Cystitis! I don't know if anyone else here has had that experience but it certainly happened to me. Good luck everyone.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 5:52 AM

Review by JennHiggs (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Started using for Fibromyalgia first. When diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis my doctor upped my dosage to 50mg each night. Not really sure which Interstitial Cystitis or medication for other conditions are helping or hurting. I haven't found the magic pill that really helps with any of my conditions as I'm in a constant flare with several at a time on a daily basis. This does help you sleep. I've been on it for yrs and haven't gained any weight (probably due to other medicines that take away my appetite). All in all, if you have never tried this for Interstitial Cystitis pain; try it. Everybody is different & this medicine just might be the right one for you.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by IC Patient:

I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 2 years ago. I tried bladder instillations, read books about natural healing and pretty much refused any medication. After a year and a half of suffering and trying gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free for over 8 weeks I finally gave up the natural route and agreed to 25 mg of amitriptyline once a day. Bottom line--it works. It really does. I still have the frequency but the pain is almost completely gone. There have been some days when I feel the pain but I take an extra dose and it helps so much. I do have to say though, it makes me tired, I've gained about 30 pounds and waking up in the morning is harder than ever. Still, it's worth it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by Anonymous928:

I've had Interstitial Cystitis for a little over 6 years. In the beginning, I tried all sorts of things - hydraulic distention of the bladder, Elmiron, all different kinds of prescriptions - nothing helped. Eventually I read about Elavil online and asked my doctor about it. He put me on it 4 years ago and I've been on it ever since. It is the ONLY medicine that has helped. I take 20mg a night. I also take Desert Harvest Aloe pills - 2 every morning - more when I flare up. I have occasional flares (like right now I am in one)), but for the most part, my Interstitial Cystitis has been under control for the past 2.5 years. Side effects - In the beginning, it made me very tired. Also caused me to gain about 30-35 lbs, but I'll take it over IC pain.

September 12, 2013 11:57 AM

Review by PJAX (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 10 years ago. At that time I was prescribed this at 25mg a day. I was going to the potty about 20 times a night. I took the meds for about 2 weeks but could not handle the side effects of confusion and listlessness. I quit taking it for a long time and suffered with the frequent urination. I was at my wits end (no sleep!) and found the old pill bottle of amitriptyline in my drawer. I am no longer working so I decided that I would give it another try since I didn't have a schedule to keep. Even though I'm a little groggy in the mornings I am sleeping at least 6 hours straight without having to go to the bathroom. I have gone from waking up approx. 20 times a night down to 2 times. It is a miracle.

September 1, 2013 7:52 PM

Review by 41rice (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline): Actually I started taking it for severe nerve pain in my neck and I have Interstitial Cystitis as well since taking it I have had great success with the management of pain. I have gained 35 lbs while being on the medication, but sometimes you have no choice. Hands down give me a life without pain and suffering with 35 extra lbs. I will gladly take poundage over pain any day.

June 11, 2013 10:22 PM

Review by Lady Caution:

I began on Amitriptyline about three years ago I think? Started at 25 mgs with the option of increasing to 50 mgs for bladder Interstitial Cystitis. Because of weight gain I stayed mostly at 25 mgs nightly rather than increase the dose. But recently I have increased my dose back up to 50mgs. It is helping with the pelvic and bladder pain associated with Interstitial Cystitis at about 65 percent. It is not though helping with the frequency of urination around the clock as for so many years. But the relief with my abdominal and bladder discomfort is improving at present. For me that is a God send. My other medical and health challenges I am plugging away at.

June 7, 2013 8:46 PM

Review by MadbabetteVery (taken for less than 1 month):

After years of getting up over two times a night sometimes 7 times, and having my sleeping pill cut in 1/2, a new primary care Dr. Recommended amitriptyline 25 mg, and last night I slept, and did get up only 1 time. So far, it's great. I hope others hear about this.

May 2, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by Cssprings:

Really changed my life. Was suffering from my Interstitial Cystitis for months when my doctor finally prescribed this. Rarely feel pain (unless I go the tomato or citrus route), sleep all through the night, and I'm generally in a better mood. Gaining a little weight but definitely worth it.

March 9, 2013 5:54 PM

Review by Brian H (taken for less than 1 month):

Amitriptyline immediately worked wonders on my urinary tract pain. I am almost afraid to say how well it has worked because I do not want to jinx it, but it has done wonders for me. Not sure about the weight gain. Not sure if it is the Amitriptyline or the excessive calories and lack of exercise that has put on the pounds. My guess is it is probably more likely due to my eating and exercise habits. I sleep better at night with a deeper sleep REM. I, too, have vivid dreams and do sleep longer.

June 22, 2012 2:43 AM

Review by Helentr:

I don't know if this is the only thing that works, because in addition, I take valium for spasms. Now, I have a problem, I cannot wake up, am groggy all day, feel tired all the time, worried while driving (80 miles each day), but I should also say that I have been tired prior to starting this. I take 1/2 of a 25 mg for over a month now, feel 300%, but then again for interstitial cystitis I'm also on Valium.

February 21, 2012 1:42 PM

Elavil (amitriptyline): This was a miracle for my Interstitial cystitis symptoms. However, I gained over 30 pounds and jumped over 6 pants sizes in about 3 months. I had to come off the medicine due to weight gain (which did not fall off easily) and immediately went back to my severe interstitial cystitis symptoms. It unfortunately is not the solution for me, other than managing my pain through diet. I have not found another medicine I can take without causing weight gain or other symptoms that cannot be overcome.

August 2, 2011 9:32 PM

Review by Bridgett aqge 48:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I take 30mg at bedtime, and after only 3 days, I was able to sleep through the night (without having to pee). I couldn't be happier with the results. 80% improvement in my Interstitial Cystitis.

July 23, 2011 8:32 PM

Review by shell09:

Endep (amitriptyline): I had been tested for everything to try and find the cause of constant bladder infections, or so I thought. It wasn't till I saw a urologist that I found the answer to my problem. I never had Bladder infections, but chronic cystitis, found after some very intrusive camera shots of my bladder. She first tried stretching my bladder to see if this helped. It didn't. She then suggested Endep, not for depression but it had been used for cystitis and burning mouth, which I also suffer from. It has helped my burning bladder problem 100% as long as I don't forget to take my tablets. If I forget just one, I have the pain back for about two weeks before I get back on track. My burning mouth is also about 60% better but not gone. "Side effects weight gain".

July 12, 2011 7:49 AM

I started this medication a few weeks ago and it's already working. I don't wake up as much in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I sleep a lot better. I haven't felt this good in awhile. I can even eat/drink things I normally wouldn't be able to (in moderation of course).

April 26, 2011 1:08 AM

Review by pkpalmer:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I have not experienced side effects with Elavil and it has really helped to keep my Inerstitial Cystitis in check. I am so thankful for it.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2010 1:01 AM

I use this for frequent urination/interstitial cy. I have been on it for three weeks, and it works great. I am a little tired from it...but it is no big deal.

February 20, 2010 3:07 PM

Elavil (amitriptyline): Works well against nerve pain- and Interstitial Cystitis in particular. Good stuff. Does take some getting used to and will leave you groggy in the morning for the first few weeks.

November 8, 2009 11:35 AM

Review by anne2009:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I take amitriptyline 10mg at bedtime. I have been taking it for about 5 weeks now. It has made a big difference with my bladder and my mood. I am going to try and increase the dose as it doesn't help me sleep. I am overall very happy with the results of this medicine for my bladder. I have had Interstitial cystitis for 10 years.

July 21, 2009 9:23 PM

Elavil (amitriptyline): I take 25mg at bedtime for interstitial cystitis and it works great for me. It does take some time to get used to and it makes you tired but after a month or so I had no complaints.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2009 1:53 AM