User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Review Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Interstitial Cystitis

"I started at 10 mg on this, but quickly went to 25 mg, as the pain was too much. Now I´ve levelled it to 20 mg per day, in the evening, and it has been wonderful, This, along with a careful diet, have helped and almost put in remission my IC symptoms. Side effects for me include grogginess, but that´s wearing away the more I take it and, for sure, a huge spike in my apetite, which I´ve had to be careful about as I don´t want to gain weight on it. It´s not a miracle drug, but it worked for me, and I think anyone suffering from this condition should give it a try."

anagum June 18, 2015

"Started on 10mg of amitriptyline for my Interstitial Cystitis related nerve pain. Went up to 20mg after a month and it has been a miracle at reducing my pain for the last six months that I have been on it. I haven't experienced any weight gain while on it. I felt groggy at first but that went away after a few weeks."

Saiiri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

"I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis several months ago. The pain was so debilitating that I couldn't even see patients for about 3 days (I'm a dentist). The pain brought me to tears. I was afraid that I would have to go on disibility. My new urologist put me on amytripyline a few weeks ago. It worked almost immediately. Most days I'm almost pain-free. I got my life back."

Lara M. March 20, 2015

"This medication helps with flare ups and helps me sleep through the night. "

Tawanda619. (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2015

"This really has changed my life! I suffered a whole year thinking my urethral stricture was the cause, after that was sorted I still carried on with what felt like constant cystitis. My urologist finally diagnosed Interstitial Cystitis and started me on 20mg of amitriptyline. After 10-14days it worked! Have the very odd day of mild discomfort but it's changed my life. I haven't noticed side effects as yet, on my 9th week on them."

Hhf (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable."

nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in March of this year. The first few weeks were some of the worst of my life. I changed my diet, was put on Elmiron, Zyrtec and Vesicare with zero relief in any symptoms. Was at the end of my rope when my PCP suggested Elavil. In 3 days my symptoms were nearly gone. Pain was gone. Urgency/frequency cut in half. But I immediately started gaining weight. A lot of weight, and fast. And I am diabetic and any weight gain is very bad for me. So I've had to choose to not take it and live with the pain and constant peeing because I cannot afford to gain any weight due the diabetes. I'm basically distraught. Diabetes will kill me, but the Interstitial Cystitis pain is causing major depression. I am at a loss as nothing else has worked."

SweetMimi November 4, 2014

"I could barely function after 2pm until I went on this medicine. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in August-it was devastating. My quality of life was horrible--pain through the roof and urgency. I could barely get my kids to school every day. After 1 day of 25 mg Amytriptiline at bedtime, my pain virtually disappeared. It saved my life."

Schmea (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

"Amitriptyline is very effective in my Interstitial Cystitis treatment. I took half of 25mg at dinner time. Both frequency and urgency went away."

Jordan, San Jose (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2014

"I think this medication really helped with the Interstitial Cystitis but unfortunately it gave me terrible headaches. Every morning - after about a week of taking 10 mg's of this - I'd wake up with a terrible migraine. It would last all day! At first I wasn't sure if it was the medication but now I'm positive. I stopped taking it (after 3 weeks of use) and my headaches all but disappeared. In my opinion, the headaches were just as bad as the Interstitial Cystitis! I don't know if anyone else here has had that experience but it certainly happened to me. Good luck everyone."

Mollie1983 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2014

"Started using for Fibromyalgia first. When diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis my doctor upped my dosage to 50mg each night. Not really sure which Interstitial Cystitis or medication for other conditions are helping or hurting. I haven't found the magic pill that really helps with any of my conditions as I'm in a constant flare with several at a time on a daily basis. This does help you sleep. I've been on it for yrs and haven't gained any weight (probably due to other medicines that take away my appetite). All in all, if you have never tried this for Interstitial Cystitis pain; try it. Everybody is different & this medicine just might be the right one for you."

JennHiggs (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 2 years ago. I tried bladder instillations, read books about natural healing and pretty much refused any medication. After a year and a half of suffering and trying gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free for over 8 weeks I finally gave up the natural route and agreed to 25 mg of amitriptyline once a day. Bottom line--it works. It really does. I still have the frequency but the pain is almost completely gone. There have been some days when I feel the pain but I take an extra dose and it helps so much. I do have to say though, it makes me tired, I've gained about 30 pounds and waking up in the morning is harder than ever. Still, it's worth it."

IC Patient January 12, 2014

"I've had Interstitial Cystitis for a little over 6 years. In the beginning, I tried all sorts of things - hydraulic distention of the bladder, Elmiron, all different kinds of prescriptions - nothing helped. Eventually I read about Elavil online and asked my doctor about it. He put me on it 4 years ago and I've been on it ever since. It is the ONLY medicine that has helped. I take 20mg a night. I also take Desert Harvest Aloe pills - 2 every morning - more when I flare up. I have occasional flares (like right now I am in one)), but for the most part, my Interstitial Cystitis has been under control for the past 2.5 years. Side effects - In the beginning, it made me very tired. Also caused me to gain about 30-35 lbs, but I'll take it over IC pain."

Anonymous928 September 12, 2013

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 10 years ago. At that time I was prescribed this at 25mg a day. I was going to the potty about 20 times a night. I took the meds for about 2 weeks but could not handle the side effects of confusion and listlessness. I quit taking it for a long time and suffered with the frequent urination. I was at my wits end (no sleep!) and found the old pill bottle of amitriptyline in my drawer. I am no longer working so I decided that I would give it another try since I didn't have a schedule to keep. Even though I'm a little groggy in the mornings I am sleeping at least 6 hours straight without having to go to the bathroom. I have gone from waking up approx. 20 times a night down to 2 times. It is a miracle."

PJAX (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2013

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Actually I started taking it for severe nerve pain in my neck and I have Interstitial Cystitis as well since taking it I have had great success with the management of pain. I have gained 35 lbs while being on the medication, but sometimes you have no choice. Hands down give me a life without pain and suffering with 35 extra lbs. I will gladly take poundage over pain any day."

41rice (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2013

"I began on Amitriptyline about three years ago I think? Started at 25 mgs with the option of increasing to 50 mgs for bladder Interstitial Cystitis. Because of weight gain I stayed mostly at 25 mgs nightly rather than increase the dose. But recently I have increased my dose back up to 50mgs. It is helping with the pelvic and bladder pain associated with Interstitial Cystitis at about 65 percent. It is not though helping with the frequency of urination around the clock as for so many years. But the relief with my abdominal and bladder discomfort is improving at present. For me that is a God send. My other medical and health challenges I am plugging away at. "

Lady Caution June 7, 2013

"After years of getting up over two times a night sometimes 7 times, and having my sleeping pill cut in 1/2, a new primary care Dr. Recommended amitriptyline 25 mg, and last night I slept, and did get up only 1 time. So far, it's great. I hope others hear about this."

MadbabetteVery (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2013

"Really changed my life. Was suffering from my Interstitial Cystitis for months when my doctor finally prescribed this. Rarely feel pain (unless I go the tomato or citrus route), sleep all through the night, and I'm generally in a better mood. Gaining a little weight but definitely worth it."

Cssprings March 9, 2013

"Amitriptyline immediately worked wonders on my urinary tract pain. I am almost afraid to say how well it has worked because I do not want to jinx it, but it has done wonders for me. Not sure about the weight gain. Not sure if it is the Amitriptyline or the excessive calories and lack of exercise that has put on the pounds. My guess is it is probably more likely due to my eating and exercise habits. I sleep better at night with a deeper sleep REM. I, too, have vivid dreams and do sleep longer."

Brian H (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2012

"I don't know if this is the only thing that works, because in addition, I take valium for spasms. Now, I have a problem, I cannot wake up, am groggy all day, feel tired all the time, worried while driving (80 miles each day), but I should also say that I have been tired prior to starting this. I take 1/2 of a 25 mg for over a month now, feel 300%, but then again for interstitial cystitis I'm also on Valium."

Helentr February 21, 2012

Elavil (amitriptyline): "This was a miracle for my Interstitial cystitis symptoms. However, I gained over 30 pounds and jumped over 6 pants sizes in about 3 months. I had to come off the medicine due to weight gain (which did not fall off easily) and immediately went back to my severe interstitial cystitis symptoms. It unfortunately is not the solution for me, other than managing my pain through diet. I have not found another medicine I can take without causing weight gain or other symptoms that cannot be overcome."

Anonymous August 2, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I take 30mg at bedtime, and after only 3 days, I was able to sleep through the night (without having to pee). I couldn't be happier with the results. 80% improvement in my Interstitial Cystitis. "

Bridgett aqge 48 July 23, 2011

Endep (amitriptyline): "I had been tested for everything to try and find the cause of constant bladder infections, or so I thought. It wasn't till I saw a urologist that I found the answer to my problem. I never had Bladder infections, but chronic cystitis, found after some very intrusive camera shots of my bladder. She first tried stretching my bladder to see if this helped. It didn't. She then suggested Endep, not for depression but it had been used for cystitis and burning mouth, which I also suffer from. It has helped my burning bladder problem 100% as long as I don't forget to take my tablets. If I forget just one, I have the pain back for about two weeks before I get back on track. My burning mouth is also about 60% better but not gone. "Side effects weight gain"."

shell09 July 12, 2011

"I started this medication a few weeks ago and it's already working. I don't wake up as much in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I sleep a lot better. I haven't felt this good in awhile. I can even eat/drink things I normally wouldn't be able to (in moderation of course)."

Anonymous April 26, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have not experienced side effects with Elavil and it has really helped to keep my Inerstitial Cystitis in check. I am so thankful for it."

pkpalmer April 15, 2010