User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 742 medications

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: Very good

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 8:17 AM

Review by farmerboy1:

For Insomnia: Better than over the counter meds. I take 25 mg. Still wake up through the night a few times but generally go back to sleep in 10-15 minutes.

December 17, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Interstitial Cystitis: I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable.

December 3, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Nickname already in use:

For Migraine Prevention: I was originally prescribed Amitriptyline for pain prevention. I found Amitriptyline to be sedative even on very low doses (5mg). I adjusted to each increase in dose, however I had to stop at 15mg per day as it was too sedative and causing me to be light sleeper. I went back down to 5mg a day for a couple of months. However the medicine wasn't helping much with the pain. I've since been prescribed Nortriptyline.

November 30, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by Danvic (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: Works great

November 24, 2014 9:31 PM

Review by Minniehaha2 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Fibromyalgia: Had fibromyalgia due to chronic sleep deprivation which caused severe swelling in my hands giving me carpel tunnel pain every night also had swollen knees and severe stiffness. After months of trying alternative therapies with no improvement I finally gave in and started taking 20mg amitriptyline. Within 3 days this medicine changed my life and I felt like a different person. Went up to 50mg but now back to 25mg and only about 75% of the time. If your health problems are caused by lack of phase four sleep, give this medicine a try.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2014 8:18 PM

Review by Colleendo:

For Insomnia: I have been on 10 mg. Amitriptyline... for a month and am really getting a good night sleep. I must say the first weeks, I was really tired and and exhausted . After 3 weeks my body adjusted quite well. I have a low tolerance to medication so 10 mg. Is good for now.

October 26, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by Anx no more (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I suffered with anxiety for years and have tried many many SSRIs as well as benzos. Nothing really helped. I was put on this med for migraines and within a couple of weeks my anxiety began to melt away. My friends and family noticed a huge difference. I feel like a different person. Like I am living the life I always wanted to live, I was just always too afraid and anxious to before.

October 24, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by BUTT SACK (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I take this for Bipolar disoder 2, with severe depressive episodes. Helps tremendously for my depression symptoms, as well as aiding in controlling mood swings along with a mood stabilizer. Helps with insomnia tremendously. Sometimes the daytime sedation can last a long time at higher doses, and you'll probably get dry mouth, constipation, or blurry vision/dizziness, at least at first. This medication works great for a lot of people when other things fail, just be aware that the trade off is that some annoying side effects are fairly common. Myself, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Sissybell:

For Pain: I have had severe pain in my stomach for the last 5-6 years. Sometimes the pain was so bad I could not even move in my own bed. I started this medication after I was told that I have a nerve disorder. I am so pleased to say I have not felt any pain in over 7 days! Not only am I not in pain but I am sleeping so much better! I can also wake up easier and I feel less stressed. This medicine is amazing and it has saved me from more years of pain!

October 19, 2014 1:29 PM

Review by Schmea (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Interstitial Cystitis: I could barely function after 2pm until I went on this medicine. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in August-it was devastating. My quality of life was horrible--pain through the roof and urgency. I could barely get my kids to school every day. After 1 day of 25 mg Amytriptiline at bedtime, my pain virtually disappeared. It saved my life.

October 16, 2014 8:39 PM

Review by wiggler (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: For two years I was experiencing nagging pains all over my body. Then it got worse, accompanied by disgusting headaches. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong. Nothing I took would help the pain, as they got more and more. Then recently I was diagnosed with M.E. I got to see a specialist and she told me to ask my doc about Amitriptyline. I have only just started taking it, and have noticed a big change. I feel more comfortable and have finally managed to sleep better. Two yrs ago, my doc had told me that my pains were due to me sufferng depression, and prescribed citalopram. Now I am weening away from that, as I know that all I will need is amitriptyline - it works!

October 16, 2014 8:21 AM

Review by marslites (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: Gave me my life back

October 8, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by anonymous1224365:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: This medication has been very effective for my anxiety. I've taken 75mg for the past 9yrs. No more heart palpitations or tightness in my chest. I have tried others prior to the Elavil, but found I woke up with a hangover and a out of body feeling. If Ii forget to order refill before I run out it takes a 3 days to feel the effects.

September 23, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Te Jay:

For Pain: First I would like to thank each of you for your comments. After reading the side effects of this medication, I was very leery about starting it. I took my first one last night. 25 mg. Nothing on the ppr work stated it would help head aches. I've had a constant head ache since June 28th. Sometimes a little better, but most times it stops me in my track. I will follow up the longer I take it. Thank you again.

September 22, 2014 1:25 PM

Review by Bobbywill (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from migraine on and off since my teens always visual patterns then wham! the headache. A few years ago I just had the patterns and no pain then it changed to tension neck pain which which then turned into headache as soon as I woke up more or less daily. Imigran helped but was popping them like smarties. I tried giving up all the known triggers but nothing helped then a couple of months ago Dr prescribed Amitriptyline 25mgs every night I have had maybe 2 or 3 slight headaches since. First week I was a little woozy but that passed. Now I wake up with a dry mouth and food tastes different but no headache. It used to be unusual to wake up with no headache now its unusual to wake up with one. I recommend anyone to give it a try.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by pain and sleep and sleep and stress (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me.

September 19, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by Vicki T (taken for 10 years or more):

For Fibromyalgia: I feel like a zombie if I don't get enough restorative sleep. I have been on 100 mg a day, but am on 75mg most of the time. I notice that most of the people that are not getting relief from the pain and insomnia are taking the smaller doses. I have been on it for probably 20 years. I can't tolerate most other medicines.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by happy healthy girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: I've had cyclical vomiting syndrome for about a year and a half and was diagnosed about two months ago, as soon as I was diagnosed I was put on amitriptyline. The only side effect I have noticed is a bit of sleepiness, but not enough to really affect my life. Amitriptyline has given me back my quality of life and I've started uni and am looking for part time work, this would never have been possible before being on amitriptyline.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by Dear Old Dad (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: My husband has bi-polar disorder and suffers from chronic back / sciatic work-related pain. He'd only been (restlessly) sleeping 2-3 hours a night for past 10 years. This had increased his mood swings and cyclothymia to unmanageable proportions!! UK doctor prescribed 10mg amitriptyline, to be taken at night 2 hours before bed. After two weeks this was increased to 20mg per night. The effect has been nothing short of miraculous. He sleeps really well for 7-8 hours a night, wakes refreshed & cheerful. It's helped him cope differently with depression - staying calm & getting CBT therapy. (Something he'd never have volunteered for in his 'normal' bi-polar anger / depression cycling). Has also noticed lessening of pain. It's saved our marriage.

September 10, 2014 9:36 AM

Review by Gemma A:

For Migraine Prevention: Have had migraine since 15. Tried everything including this medication over the past 18 years and nothing ever helped. This is just one of the meds that made my migraines worse which sometimes I thought was impossible. Started Botox for chronic migraine in March and it's amazing!

September 4, 2014 2:33 PM

Review by LindzO:

For Migraine Prevention: I have chronic Lyme disease and one of the worst things I suffer with is pain, EVERY DAY for the last 6 years. I have tried many things to help, both homeopathic and medicines prescribed by a doctor. I found a new doctor months ago who prescribed me Elavil. I'm always a bit apprehensive about taking medicines even though I know I don't have much choice if I want my life back. So I agreed to try 10mg of Elavil at bedtime every night. I can't believe how much it has helped. After four days, I woke up pain free for the first time in 6 years and I actually had a good cry! It's been a miracle. I've been far more active lately and am even aiming to get back to work again. I hope that other people with Lyme/chronic headaches see this and try it too.

September 4, 2014 12:39 PM

For Insomnia: I have taken this medication during certain times in my life due to events and change of time zones for long periods of time when my sleep pattern is broken. It is great. I have been able to stay at 25 mg without increase for more than a year and work myself off when fully recovered. Be prepared to wait for it to kick in up to 2 weeks after starting it. It needs to fully get into your system. Everyones body is different. Recently I tried zolpidem for a more immediate sleep and found I could only get 4 hours a night. I read about the addiction of it and possible rebound insomnia after weaning yourself off. I am going back to that old model medicine, Amitriiptyline. It is great and I get back to a 7-8 hour sleep pattern.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 12:08 PM

Review by JumpJump (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Dysautonomia: Improved neurological functions, less flare-ups of the autonomic system. Helps - body temperature regulation has become a little better, able to sweat a little now, able to swallow now with no problems, hand tremors a majority of the time, and about half the adrenaline rushes than before. Does not help - sleep, heart rate and blood pressure, GI problems (gastroparesis, stomach pains, or constipation), heat intolerance, brain fog (memory problems). Has had to increase medication a few times, but am still on it. I am still on this medication and would not want to go off this - I have seen improvement.

August 31, 2014 5:43 AM

Review by Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 3:11 PM