User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 751 medications

Fibromyalgia 45 reviews 20 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 519 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Insomnia: "I had a very hard time sleeping. Most of the time I would stay up till 5 or 6 in the morning. I tried this pill and oh boy did it work. I love the feeling of being sleepy when I take these because I don't really know what that feels like anymore since I can never sleep. I am only on 20mg but I vary from 20mg to 40mg. I do not feel like they are addictive but I do enjoy how they put me right to sleep. They are great pills if you have trouble sleeping."

Renee205 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

For Insomnia: "For years I couldn't sleep properly, i could get to sleep most nights but woke every 2-3hours or to any slight noise. It all caught up with me & I was an anxious sleep deprived freak who was on prozac. I went to a new Dr about constant migraines & he started me on amitriptyline 75mg, the first few days I felt so weird but after a week or so it kicked in. My migraines stopped, my anxiety was so much better & a strange side effect was that I could finally sleep through a whole night! I am so grateful this drug is around, I am no longer a sleep deprived freak :D good for my depression too mixed with 40mg prozac. YaY Endep"

wilsal June 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication literally is a life saver. I've had chronic migraines for 10 years. I was on 10mg for 6 months then my migraines came back. My doctor upped my dosage to 20 and now it's back to normal. But one side effect I can't seem to shake off is sleepiness. I'm sleeping close to 16 hours+ a day."

Chelseajeansm (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2015

For Insomnia: "I'm on 200mg and it has completely cured my insomnia and helped my chronic back pain. Non addictive and regardless of other posts, you do not build tolerance to this drug. I can't understand doctors who prescribe addictive, dangerous sleeping drugs over this!"

never sleeps (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2015

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I started at 10 mg on this, but quickly went to 25 mg, as the pain was too much. Now I´ve levelled it to 20 mg per day, in the evening, and it has been wonderful, This, along with a careful diet, have helped and almost put in remission my IC symptoms. Side effects for me include grogginess, but that´s wearing away the more I take it and, for sure, a huge spike in my apetite, which I´ve had to be careful about as I don´t want to gain weight on it. It´s not a miracle drug, but it worked for me, and I think anyone suffering from this condition should give it a try."

anagum June 18, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been experiencing severe migraines 2 times per month over last 3-4 years, that include terrible vertigo and would last about a week. The vertigo was more debilitating than the migraine. Couldn't work or drive. In between migraines I experienced regular daily headaches. Started seeing a neurologist who initially prescribed beta blockers (propranolol) with little result. Then changed tact to Amitriptyline which I am on 10mg per day taken at night. Started about a month ago and am yet to have a migraine and headaches have also significantly improved to maybe 2 light headaches (more tension headaches really) per week. I am more than satisfied with the result and couldn't believe how quickly it had an impact. Early days yet though."

Nessie.7 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi I have been on 25mg since a year and half ego. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I refuse to take any mess but it got so bad I had to do something. My pcp put me on zoloft ..that pill gave me such bad side effects I though was going to die..so I went to a psychiatrist and she put me on elavil I wad so nervousabout starting new medication but I knew I had to try it she prescribe 25 milligrams 3 times a day I know my body and I knew that was a high dose for an so I started with 25mg..and yes it made me really really tired so I took it at night and within 2 weeks I felt so much better.I still get tired but it helps me sleep I love this medication"

Missy83 June 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have stress for 5 years since I had car accident. Every day I feel very uncomfortable and wish I could have a normal life. I went to this page and decided to take this drug. I got my life back."

Anonymous June 12, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Had really bad migraines for years got worse with age I'm 48 now and a femail doctor has prescribed them 10 milg at first nothing changed but 3 months in I've had no migraine for nearly a month and half or even headaches and I'm not craving either feel great ."

Vivienne12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

For Pain: "After one year on this I haven't felt anything good or bad I took a vacation and forgot it at home and went without it for about three weeks and I didn't feel any different and when I told my doctor about this. If I could stop taking it he told me no I should take it before bedtime even if it does not do anything. So what gives ??"

jpplayz (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've had amitriptyline prescribed for insomnia, non restorative sleep and fatigue. Started at 10mg and now at 50mg. It does nothing at all for me so far."

Sucreetcreme June 7, 2015

For Insomnia: "Started this med 2 wks ago: 25mg oral at night for trouble sleeping. It takes about 3-4 hours before I feel tired and then feel totally drugged in the morning, similar to trazadone side effects. Tried taking it 3 hours before bed and it worked better but only stayed asleep about 2 hours at night then still drugged in the morning."

immune? (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I used to feel like I ate rocks/glass when I ate food. Now I feel Nothing! Amazing medication. I still has IBS/Gallbladder disease/food intolerances but I am a lot better on this medication!"

BellyWoes June 7, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on benzodiazepines for several years..unfortunately i had recently upped the dosage to 2 mg due to family stress and felt more depressed and panicking , craving for benzos... i then switched to amytriptiline, an unbelievable tiny dosage 2 mg, 1 drop a day..i have been taking it for aroind 10 days before going to bed... it helped a lot and i was able to discontinue benzos from day 1 (when i actually took 4 mg amytriptiline, 2 drops ,slept for 12 hours and woke up in the morning feeling...new, with a clear mind, no more tortured by anxiety and panick attacks.... i know this seems incredible at such a low dose... i m just wondering if this has a scientific explanation because im sure it is no placebo effect"

Mauve June 5, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I been having migraines since I had my daughter at age 22, I'm 38 now. I had migraine 2-4 times a week. I try a lot of migraine medications with really bad side affect. Then my migraine got worse because it was causing me vertigo. So when I got them together I was in bed 2-3 days. I was calling out a lot and I when to see a neurologist that prescriped me a beta blocker. Stop the medication because my bloodpressure was dropping a lot. Then my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline 10mg and my migraine are gone. Vertigo too. Don't be afraid to take it because you won't get dictated if you want to stop it won't give you any withdraw. I stop it last month to see how I was going to do without it and migraines are back. Just started again."

Asan38 June 4, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have had sleeping issues since a teenager and was finally diagnosed with Childhood Onset Insomnia. At times less than 1 hour total sleep a day for 3-4 days in a row. At the age of 42 my Dr prescribed Elavil (Amitriptlyne) and it changed my life. Its really cheap about $30 CDN per month, doesn't store in your fat cells and is non addictive. I take 50mg at around 9pm, fall asleep around 11 and get a great sleep straight through until 6-7am. No grogginess, some slight dry mouth. For me, it doesn't make me drowzy but it does help me stay asleep which was my problem- waking regularly through the night. Good, luck, hope it works for you as well as it has for me!"

Amnesiac (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 3, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "I was prescribed this after a severe TBI and broken neck, it was suppose to help my headaches. After about a week it turned me into a rapid cycling bipolar suicidal freak, one second driving singing happy, next second I was trying to swerve in front of a semi."

Kristara (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

For Pain: "I was prescribed this for vulvodynia after seeing 2 gynecologists with no clue what "disease" I "had". My third gynecologist put me on 25mg each night, after a year of experiencing excruciatingly painful intercourse for no apparent reason. After just 2 weeks, Amitriptyline successfully took away the pain! I'm so thankful for my gyno's knowledge of this drug and her shot into the dark on prescribing me this, despite it rarely being prescribed in an OBGYN clinic!"

Atsmi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2015

For Depression: "Works great! Tried most antidepressants, this works the best for me. Dry mouth and constipation lessen over time but it is still quite sedating"

drm562 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Used it for a month started at 10 mg-20 mg. One of the worst drugs I have used. It left me so sedated that I couldn't wake up in the morning and wanted to sleep all day. It helped with head aches but I couldn't concentrate, felt overly emotional, crying and angry. I found it hard to drive from lack of focus 18 hours after taking pill. I had a deep sleep, but not a restful one, the dreams were bizarre. Dry mouth and irritable too. Not worth not having a headache to have all of these problems. I am very sensitive to medication as I don't drink so it was not for me. Oh and I gained three pounds in first two weeks using it."

JJ85 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2015

For Insomnia: "After trying many different anti-depressants and sleep aids with little to no results, my doctor put me on 75mg of Amitriptyline for severe postpartum depression and anxiety with insomnia. This was the miracle I needed. I sleep really well now am back to my happy,healthy self. I have dry mouth as a side effect, but I have learned to chew gum and use biotene at bed time. This regimen has made that one side effect tolerable and I don't mind it, considering what this medicine has done for me. I workout regularly and watch what I eat so I have not experienced any weight gain."

Trisha V. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

For Pain: "I was put on Amitriptyline 25mg. at Mayo Clinic in 1983. After a through work up they thought I had MS, but then gave the diagnosis of Neuropathy pain. At this time I'm taking 50mg. @ bed time, which has been the only thing that works. I'm able to sleep w/o pain. Now I just tried to refill the prescription and the cost is $219.00 for 180 pills. The last time filled 12/2014 $16.00/180 pills. Even tho this is a Generic why the higher cost?? Just can't afford it anymore. Don't know what I'm going to do. Have tried Tegratol, Cymbalta and many others, NOTHING ELSE WORKS."

Glitzylady May 8, 2015

For Depression: "I feel way better on Elavil than cymbalta. I'm back to being Me ,not a grumpy stressed monster. I'm going to call my Dr to personally thank him for switching me."

kurt H May 5, 2015

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I started amitriptyline about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a miracle drug. But it has stopped working in the last 2 months. I've been in the ER 5 times in 2 months. 2 episodes fell on a day I had wakes to go to, and missed them due to CVS. Has anyone had success with any other medications? I am desperate for a new med before I loose my job!!!!"

Sharon Downs April 28, 2015

For Pain: "Dr. started me on Endep 2 months ago for chronic pain in the long bones caused by side effects from Chronic Myaloid Leukaemia medication. It's the first time in nine years that I have felt "almost" normal! It makes me tired so I take it at night. The only drawback is dry mouth and loss of taste. The taste thing is driving me up the wall, and I don't know that I can live with it. So now I have to weigh up the pros & cons of living without tasting my food, or living without pain."

qcathy April 26, 2015