User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 747 medications

6.1
Pudendal Neuralgia 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 636 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Was prescribed 25mg for post traumatic stress from a motorcycle vs. Drunk driver wreck I survived. I also have insomnia and panic/anxiety attacks as a result. I had negative experiences with Xanax. So started amitript 25mg did nothing for me, kept me awake, even. 50mg helped a little (5-6 hours of sleep). I went back to the doc and he said 'a guy your size, try taking 2 50mg before bed' (I weight 215). I took 2 while making dinner and could barely keep my head up while eating. I slept 10 hours straight! This is fantastic as I have 'interrupted sleep cycles' where my body comes out of REM sleep from the PTSD. Doc says I need 10-12 hours of sleep on a good night. I like that it's not addictive as well."

Million dollar man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I highly highly highly recommend using this medicine in treating and managing your IBS symptoms. I've been on it less than a month and with a combination of the medicine and a diet (staying away from fatty foods, fried foods, soda, chocolate and eating lots of fruit) I have found relief I thought I'd never find. I'm 18 years old and I've had my fair share of history in battling these symptoms, it was rough but with this medicine, it became a lot easier."

Max108714567 February 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I only take it when I get a migraine and I can then function at work. I take it maybe twice that day and don't take it again until I get another mygraine."

dhyggen January 31, 2016

For Depression: "Have been on this drug for almost 3 weeks. Started out on 25 MG and am currently taking 50 mg. Helped tremendously with much needed sleep. Make sure to be in bed when the medicine kicks in. You will sleep a long time but to me it's worth it! I've seen small improvements. Believe it's causing me to be pretty dizzy. Will give it time though! Will update later on.I am very glad my Dr tried this type of antidepressant. Been on lexapro, zoloft, cymbalta, and wellbrution. I believe they just aren't as strong as the older antidepressants. Good luck to you. Hold on even if you feel like there is no hope left!!!!!"

Redhead1967 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Was prescribed as a post impact headache help. After taking 10mg per night for about 10 days, I spent an entire night unable to sleep with what felt like heart palpitations. This was scary. Immediately stopped taking it of course, but the next night woke up at 3, thought it was time for work, and made coffee. I slowly came out of a fog and realized the time (I usually get up at 6). Previous I had noticed what seemed to be seeing things out of the corner of my eye while driving, but that is no big deal. My better half had mentioned I seemed to care less about things as well. I see it works for most and that's great. But like any medication be sure to pay close attention."

JoeSchmoe (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

For Pain: "I have been taking amitriptyline on and off for over three years after a serious road accident, where my pelvis was crushed and I suffered major nerve damage. It really really works, but I am trying to get off it permanently because of the side effects. It helps with pain and sleep, which are my two biggest complaints, but the side effects of constipation, dry mouth and a weight gain of 50 pounds (from 120 to 170) are really quite terrible, especially when taken in connection with other side effect causing drugs. I would be very careful about taking this drug. It's very important to weigh the costs vs benefits. Since I was a trauma patient, I didn't have much choice in the matter and I am still living with the consequences."

Orthopatient January 23, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "About 3 months ago I started experiencing thunderclap migraines. My doctor put me on Atenolol which did nothing for me. She then put me on Amitriptyline 25 mg which has pretty much eliminated the migraines. I guess I was somewhat depressed because now I feel wonderful, patient, and have a sense of well being. My emotions seem to have levelled out. I have experienced some not so pleasant side effects such as vivid bizarre dreams, blurry vision, constipation and dry mouth. I kept hearing about serious weight gain but due to my new found satisfaction in life I don't turn to food for comfort anymore so I've lost weight on this medicine! I love what this medicine has done for me."

C6162004 January 23, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on about everything you can imagine for my stress and anxiety. Nothing worked and for years I have been miserable. I was put on Elavil and didn't feel much of an effect but once the doctor bumped me up to 100mgs a day, I am a new person. It has changed my life. I wake up and feel like dancing!"

AngelWolf12 January 21, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been on 20 mg of amitriptyline at bedtime for insomnia for 6 years now. I had been on valium after a bout with acute stress disorder, but found it highly addictive and found myself going to my shrink not for therapy, but just to get my RX renewed. I knew then that I had to get off the valium. My GP suggested the amitriptyline, and it is great. No side effects, and it LETS me sleep, it doesn't MAKE me sleep. It also lets me get back to sleep if I have to get up at night to use the bathroom. My doc told me to start with 10 mg and move up by 10 mg increments until I found a dose that worked but that didn't leave me hung over the next day. 10 mg worked. 30 mg put me in a fog til noon the next day. 20 mg has been perfect!"

Gaitero (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2016

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I was diagnosed with IC after so many real UTIs and some that were not. I felt like I always had a UTI. In November of 2011, I was diagnosed. It was so severe I had the cystoscopy immediately. I started installations and took various medications. Getting on amitriptyline was great until 6 months later I was in day treatment not understanding why my mania and depression were off the chart. The doctors could not stabilize me and I was hospitalized twice for suicidal thoughts and psychosis. Just beware if you have mental illness, this medication may counteract bipolar and other mental health meds!!"

Tx mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "Very good for nerve pain, helps with sleep but are slightly groggy in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

For Pain: "My 11.5yr old is on 20mg of amitriptyline at bedtime for peripheral neuropathic pain in the ball of her foot. We started on 10mg and had no effect after 1month on sleep or pain levels. 20mg has reduced pain by 15% and increased her sleep. (only waking once a night instead of 3 times). Pain levels are still at 6.5/10 on her scale (we she has a high pain threshold as she has broken her wrist a couple of times). She is a well build 11yrs old and not experiencing any side effects. Our consultants are anti-medication so not keen on her taking any dose. Does anyone have any guidance on dose rate - From what I have read, we could easily up her to 25/30mg and see whether this has any further effect....clearly the 20mg is doing something?"

kolly (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Pain: "Following a stroke in June 2014, that Christmas I had become aware of an extremely unpleasant discomfort everywhere but particularly my hands/arms/legs and feet this led to 7 months of tests/scans/x-rays to try and determine what was the cause. Then finally a neurologist diagnosed central post stroke pain. The prognoses did not look good, anti-depressives or anti-convulsives where just about all they had to treat this condition, at first I was reluctant especially when I read about the possible side-effects but over time I was beginning to despair. I decided to talk to my GP and was put on 10mg of amitriptyline and told to come back later this month (Jan) by that weekend I was sure the tingles/prickly heat were less evident, but I had only been taking them for 3 days surely it%u2019s too soon (I had read to give it 2-6 weeks before I could expect any beneficial change). I have now been on them for 1 week and to my amazement they are working, so from a 7/10 and slowly creeping up it is now a 5/10 and feeling a little better every day, all this in the space of just a week. For me Amitriptyline has saved my life, I was sinking and in despair and was seriously thinking I could not go on with this chronic pain day after day. How I wished I%u2019d tried this medication earlier instead of being influenced by so many negative reports because for me Amitriptyline is truly miraculous, I feel like putting the empty box in my bedroom surrounding it with candles and flowers and on my knees worshiping it. If you are reluctant about taking it for neurological pain especially central pain following stroke please don%u2019t be, try it you have nothing to lose except pain. And just one more thing no side-effects"

Anonymous January 14, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've used Amitriptyline for about 6 mnth now I sleep well, little harder to get up in the morning, It doesn't help my pain, but I do find I'm able to cope better. Also I find using deep heat heat rub helps. I rub it into my muscles. My doctor says it ok as it an anti inflammatory."

tjay4166 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I'm 19 and have been taking this medicine for insomnia since I was 8 or 9 years old (It's been so long that I can't recall exactly when I started). It is the only thing that can put me to sleep as my insomnia is so bad that if I don't take amitriptyline, I will be up for days. The only issue is that it does make me very groggy in the morning, but that could just be due to the fact that I am a teenager."

igwend (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2016

For Chronic Myofascial Pain: "Started taking this for chronic myofacial pain. At only 10 mg it's hard to notice a big difference in pain reduction but has definitely made it more tolerable. A little groggy at first and dry mouth but goes away within a few weeks. Absolutely no weight gain although I did feel early on I was really craving carbs. If you stay disciplined those cravings will go away . I haven't gained even 1lb and have been on it for over a year."

TaylorTyler January 11, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Amitriptyline, Is an excellent choice for ibs."

RyderB January 9, 2016

For Pain: "Having been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & night terrors a few years ago, I was taking the maximum amount of paracetamols & Ibuprofen daily which were providing very little relief from the chronic pain. After being prescribed 20mg Amitriptyline to be taken nightly my sleep has been amazing and pain levels are almost nil! I feel I have my life back now, I was concerned that I may be a little drowsy in the mornings as I have to drive to work early but I felt fine and 100% 'with it'. The most amazing feeling ever is one of not having to adjust everything I have to do daily to fit around the pain/muscle spasms etc...I also keep a 'pain level' diary which is a real help on looking back."

Me-Shell (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines for 30 years and was increasingly relying on Zomig - taking about 12 per month. Propranolol doesn't agree with me and was very sceptical about trying amitriptyline but it has been miraculous. I used to wake every morning with a headache at about 4am often developing into full blown migraines. Now I sleep like a baby and have been virtually headache free. I hope that it continues to work as bad migraines are so debilitating and were ruining my life. I've had no real side effects apart from felling a bit sleepy in the morning but that soon wears off."

Scramble January 5, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "After many wrong diagnoses and many RX's that did not solve the problem, I was finally diagnosed with atypical migraines at 24 years old and given this med to take daily. It solved the problem almost immediately. I was having daily migraines before I took it for about 2 months and didn't have a single one while on it. I then decided to go off of it and to my surprise, I was mostly migraine free for about 6 months after (aside from that time of the month). Then, stress peaked and I found myself with almost daily migraines again. So, I've started taking it again. Bc I take it at night to avoid day drowsiness, it is harder to wake up in the morning. I don't feel any difference in my mood. But I am pain free, hurray."

Atypical Migraine Prevention January 4, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After trying many other medications & various limits on certain types of food, my Dr. ordered 10 mg at bedtime. Within 2 days, my Irritable Bowel was controllable. I still have to watch what I eat, but at least I can leave the house and have a normal life."

Miata Princess (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: "I've tried about every medication out there for my anxiety and depression; welbutrin Zoloft Paxil , Cymbalta, Emsam, Xanax , etc.. At 75mg Elavil helped me sleep, I had more energy, I didn't feel restless, and I rarely got upset. I thought I had found the perfect cure until I started to gain weight. I decreased my calorie intake increased my exercise and the weight just kept coming. In 4 months I had gained 26 pounds. I also started to such severe dry mouth my throat was dry and my voice was hoarse, I also started to have blurred vision. I really like this medicine but know if I can handle the side effects."

Perfect, (except weight gain) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

For Pain: "I went to see my Dr about restless legs at night which is quite painful. She prescribed 25mg at night before bed. It's was working well..no pain. However I fell over a couple of times which I thought was odd but didn't set any alarms off. I began to feel stiff and unable to bend over to pick things up. I was afraid I would hurt myself. Not realizing this was the drug. I figured this is what happens when you are close to 50. The worst side effect was the weight gain. I was on the drug for 3.5 months and gained 30 lbs. Once again I figured it was because I was getting older. So the drug certainly helped my leg pain...but altered my body to look like the pilsner dough girl."

Hungry all the time (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I have dealt with chronic pain for 30 years. History of left hip fracture, left femur complete break, right foot 180 degree. Multiple fractures were rebuilt with steel rod in femur, pins in left Hip and construction metal in my right foot. In 2010, I fractured my left foot slippig on stairs The foot healed. I had tore my meniscus, again, and had a second surgery. Fractured ribs, lumbar stenosis, hearniated L4-5. Degenerative Spondylosis, central canal stenosis, Bilateral neuroformal stenosis, left paracentral disk herniation @ L5-S1, facet arthhropathy pain is bad, but the pain of CRPS is next level. Amitriptyline 10-20mg at night allows me to sleep without waking in pain. Amitryptiline reduces neuropathic pain and with ER/IR opioids, CRPS"

Strainmaker (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking 25mg of amitriptyline for 3 weeks now. It has stopped my migraines in their tracks, I feel a little groggy in the mornings and I have a dry mouth but the biggest side effect is loss of appetite and weight loss!"

Gemmasfortune December 24, 2015