User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 757 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 449 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by DSG1960:

For Insomnia: I am on 50 mg at night for pain and sleep. I sleep so well that I am sleeping 16-18 hours. I sleep all night then pretty much all the next day. I can't seem to stay awake!!!

January 15, 2015 6:16 PM

Review by J P UK (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: Diagnosed with atypical facial pain this was the only medication to help. Been on it 3 years 25mg every night , weight gain a side effect.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2015 5:58 AM

Review by Maiku:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: Very good

December 19, 2014 8:17 AM

Review by farmerboy1:

For Insomnia: Better than over the counter meds. I take 25 mg. Still wake up through the night a few times but generally go back to sleep in 10-15 minutes.

December 17, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by cookie3682 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: This medicine doesn't help with my migraines at all! And it gives me nightmares and very vivid dreams. It also interrupts my sleep.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 5:59 AM

Review by Rhondiga (taken for 10 years or more):

Endep (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: I have been on Endep for 35 years. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and plenty more. In the last six months I have been getting very odd symptoms such as the ones provided within this article!( sudden weight gain, inability to eat properly, tiredness, rounded face,weakness, sore mouth and tongue, to slight more depression, At the moment I am on a doctor treadmill ...everyone from my endocrinologist to a neurologist, GP and many more have put their hands up saying I don't know!! The medicines work really well for fibromyalgia but after some time they can work against you! Please look at the list of side effects. I have a lot of them. Good luck!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Interstitial Cystitis: I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable.

December 3, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by GBR john (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for around 8 years. After GP tried everything, as a last resort I was prescribed 5mg before bed. The very next morning I was amazed at the difference. It also helped greatly with sleep. After 3 days I took it every other day, then after another week every 2-3 days, and so on. After 6 weeks I didn't need to take it continuously anymore. Only the occasional times when it flared up during the next year or so. 18 months later I was free of the problems and had to dispose of the remaining prescription! It's very underrated from what I have read.

December 3, 2014 2:11 PM

Review by Nickname already in use:

For Migraine Prevention: I was originally prescribed Amitriptyline for pain prevention. I found Amitriptyline to be sedative even on very low doses (5mg). I adjusted to each increase in dose, however I had to stop at 15mg per day as it was too sedative and causing me to be light sleeper. I went back down to 5mg a day for a couple of months. However the medicine wasn't helping much with the pain. I've since been prescribed Nortriptyline.

November 30, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by IBS sufferer for 28 years (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I was skeptical and did not want to take this. My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline and Citalopram in approx. 1/4 dosage given for depression. I had just gone through the worst 4 four months of my life with debilitating Irritable Bowel Syndrome attacks nearly every day that would last for two to up to 8 hours. I gave in and tried the medications. I have not had a single IBS attack since the very first night I took the medications. It feels like a miracle. My attacks were so bad the thought of dying seemed better than having the attacks regularly. I thank my incredible doctor and God for introducing me to this medicine.

November 30, 2014 2:49 AM

Review by iomsp:

For Migraine Prevention: Currently being 15, I've had migraines about everyday since I was 11 and I was prescribed this medication a few months ago. It worked okay for a few weeks, most days of the week I'd be migraine free. Now though, I get my daily migraines regardless of taking it and I believe I've been heavily hallucinating for the past month or two and I had a night terror. And because of these hallucinations, I haven't been able to sleep well. I get maybe 4-5 hours of sleep everyday. The only positive aspect I can think of is that its helped me socialize better, I'm not so nervous about speaking anymore.

November 29, 2014 2:43 AM

Review by xavalyss (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: My headaches are tension, rather than migraine. However, the pain was just intense and debilitating. I was missing work a couple times a month due to these headaches. Dr. started my on this med and since then I have had only 2 severe headaches. Dr. also told me that if I do still get one of them, this med would relieve the pain much faster and headache would go away faster.

November 25, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Danvic (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: Works great

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 9:31 PM

Review by Aureilan 1:

For Pain: In my opinion, no & after squamous cell carcinoma, a spinal injury as well as taking morphine all this medicine does is dry my mouth out more than the morphine does. Ibuprofen is good unfortunately. It doesn't last long enough & isn't good on the stomach! Shame Really? Because in some respects It Was Slightly More Effective than morphine, albeit for only 3 to 4 Hours.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by RWBBB:

For Pain: I was on Lyrica for several years to manage chronic referral pain in my foot from several back surgeries. Lyrica efficacy was wearing off and I was fortunate enough to change pain doctors, with the new doctor putting me on 30mg of Amitriptyline. I've been on it for about 5 weeks now and my pain level has come down substantially....I'm now sleeping much better and it's cheap compared to Lyrica too. Only 5 weeks, but I'm loving Amitriptyline.

November 13, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by andreabilly:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been taking 25mg amitriptyline for over a year now. My migraines have almost disappeared which is very good as I was having 2 a month lasting up to 3 days each. I've had Migraines since I was 14 and had hoped that I would start to get better after the age of 60. But not so I'm 68 now and will continue the pills though I'm worried about long term use. I get it on the national health here.

November 12, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Brock777:

For Migraine Prevention: So far I am AMAZED. I have had chronic migriane for past 15 years at least twice a week on a good week, I am 45 now. Before it was occasional like once a month since a teenager. I work in a fairly high stress professional office environment. It has affected my work and mood negatively. I have absolutely tried everything before I recently tried amitriptyline from acupuncture, diet, meditation, homeopath, blood pressure pills, massage therapy and 3 neurologists. (Imitrex works but I was to reliant on it). I was very groggy the next day for 1 week on 25 ml of amitriptyline at night around dinner time. Which didn't go well with my career and thought I would have to stop it but I read here it does go away and it did! 3 Weeks in and no migraine.

November 11, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by Minniehaha2 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Fibromyalgia: Had fibromyalgia due to chronic sleep deprivation which caused severe swelling in my hands giving me carpel tunnel pain every night also had swollen knees and severe stiffness. After months of trying alternative therapies with no improvement I finally gave in and started taking 20mg amitriptyline. Within 3 days this medicine changed my life and I felt like a different person. Went up to 50mg but now back to 25mg and only about 75% of the time. If your health problems are caused by lack of phase four sleep, give this medicine a try.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2014 8:18 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: I'm 16 years old and I started taking Zoloft for depression about a year ago. I started off at 25mg then 50mg and things still didn't seem to be "right." I was constantly sick and throwing up, and I just felt like it wasn't working. So they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft, and then to 100mg. For my body and age, 100mg was a lot for me to take but it finally made me feel better. I wasn't as down, but I had awful side affects. I couldn't sleep, eat, or do anything but lay in bed and I had awful migraines. I was so sick of changing meds but I couldn't deal with being this sick so on top of the Zoloft I was prescribed Elavil. It was like night and day. Helped me sleep and took all my side effects away!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by SweetMimi:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in March of this year. The first few weeks were some of the worst of my life. I changed my diet, was put on Elmiron, Zyrtec and Vesicare with zero relief in any symptoms. Was at the end of my rope when my PCP suggested Elavil. In 3 days my symptoms were nearly gone. Pain was gone. Urgency/frequency cut in half. But I immediately started gaining weight. A lot of weight, and fast. And I am diabetic and any weight gain is very bad for me. So I've had to choose to not take it and live with the pain and constant peeing because I cannot afford to gain any weight due the diabetes. I'm basically distraught. Diabetes will kill me, but the Interstitial Cystitis pain is causing major depression. I am at a loss as nothing else has worked.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 9:42 PM

Review by $hay:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: My doctor prescribed me Elavil 10mg for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Migraines. It helped tremendously with the IBS symptoms, the migraines are still there though, not with the associated symptoms such as the vomiting etc, but still severe head pain. Major disadvantage I found was it ruined my sleep completely. I have to actually take it in the morning or I can't sleep. Doesn't make me tired or groggy at all when taken in the morning although my doctor finds it strange that it ruins my sleep...therefore that maybe isn't such a common occurrence.

October 30, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Colleendo:

For Insomnia: I have been on 10 mg. Amitriptyline... for a month and am really getting a good night sleep. I must say the first weeks, I was really tired and and exhausted . After 3 weeks my body adjusted quite well. I have a low tolerance to medication so 10 mg. Is good for now.

October 26, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by Anx no more (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I suffered with anxiety for years and have tried many many SSRIs as well as benzos. Nothing really helped. I was put on this med for migraines and within a couple of weeks my anxiety began to melt away. My friends and family noticed a huge difference. I feel like a different person. Like I am living the life I always wanted to live, I was just always too afraid and anxious to before.

October 24, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by BUTT SACK (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I take this for Bipolar disoder 2, with severe depressive episodes. Helps tremendously for my depression symptoms, as well as aiding in controlling mood swings along with a mood stabilizer. Helps with insomnia tremendously. Sometimes the daytime sedation can last a long time at higher doses, and you'll probably get dry mouth, constipation, or blurry vision/dizziness, at least at first. This medication works great for a lot of people when other things fail, just be aware that the trade off is that some annoying side effects are fairly common. Myself, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Sissybell:

For Pain: I have had severe pain in my stomach for the last 5-6 years. Sometimes the pain was so bad I could not even move in my own bed. I started this medication after I was told that I have a nerve disorder. I am so pleased to say I have not felt any pain in over 7 days! Not only am I not in pain but I am sleeping so much better! I can also wake up easier and I feel less stressed. This medicine is amazing and it has saved me from more years of pain!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 1:29 PM