User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 734 medications

Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 370 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Insomnia: This not only cured my chronic insomnia but it cured me of my night time anxiety and panics as well as daytime anxiety. I take 50mg at bedtime. You do not feel drowsy yet you fall asleep immediately and if you wake up at night you fall back asleep rather easily, my life has changed! I tried Celexa and mirtazipine but my system could not tolerate it. Mirtazipine would give me a dreamless sleep.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 8:47 AM
Review by Changed my life. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Anxiety and Stress: I been taking this medicine for 4 months now at 50mg at bedtime and it has changed my life. Anxiety stress and depression strongly minimized. I fall instantly asleep instead of being up all night worrying. Best sleep in 20 years.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 8:41 AM
Review by SJBKL (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Insomnia: I had steadily got worse over a matter of years with sleeping to the point where I had three days with no sleep, even sleeping pills would not knock me out. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia and things got worse. I now take amitriptyline 50mg before bed and two tablets during the day of Lyrica 25mg each tablet. To begin with it didn't seem to be working and I was so thirsty and extremely tired but that gets totally better after a few weeks. My anxiety has disappeared and my sleeping is 99%/100% better. I would recommend these two tablets without a doubt. They have saved me.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2014 5:59 AM
Review by T.R 88: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Migraine Prevention: I've been taking 25mg amitriptyline for a little over a year. For migraines it works fantastic but I think I might need to start a higher dose due to a slowly decreasing effectiveness. Still working great though.

March 27, 2014 7:24 PM
Review by Cupcak321 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Pain: I have interstitial cystitis for 15 yrs now. I have tried everything. Lyrica worked great for pain but too many side effects. I am back to amitriptyline. Works really well and very inexpensive versus thousands for Lyrica. I even took it during my three pregnancies. All my babies healthy. Dr said this medicine has been around so long that he was comfortable giving it to me during pregnancy for my pain.

March 25, 2014 9:23 PM
Review by Mr Mal: User Rating:

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: I took Endep 25 for headaches. I felt drowsy even the next day. So I went to Endep 10. I need to to take it about 2 hours before sleep. Side effect - ear noise which is going on for over 1 week now after 1 tablet. Going to stop it for a while due to side effect.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2014 6:19 AM

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy.

March 19, 2014 7:31 PM
Review by Badibs (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: If your thinking about going on this medicine for irritable bowel syndrome do it! I have been suffering for almost 5 years now and I was missing work and was terrified to leave my house. Any social event I would go to I would be terrified I would have a flare up. I used to LIVE off Pepto and I started taking amitriptyline (25mg) it has changed my life! For real! Besides a little weight gain which is much better then living the life I was, it has truly saved me. This dosage is really good for me and my irritable bowel syndrome was very severe. I take it with dinner so I don't wake up to tired! Good luck!

March 19, 2014 12:16 AM
Review by JackHat: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Migraine Prevention: I suffered migraines off and on for years. I've been using amiptiptyline for 3 years now at bedtime. No more bad migraines. If I do get one now, my meds work instead of it lasting for days.

March 6, 2014 1:59 PM
Review by Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried.

February 26, 2014 1:11 AM
Review by Ej19772005: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Migraine Prevention: For Migraine

February 20, 2014 4:50 PM
Review by Jesterr: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Anxiety and Stress: I've only been taking this for a month. I got 25mg of amitriptyline at night. I have anxiety attacks and sometimes I shake, this hasn't been helping at all with that. I also have insomnia which is the only thing it's helped for. I actually sleep but it gives me dry mouth and once I woke up and everything was spinning for the whole day.

February 13, 2014 5:35 AM
Review by crystal ship (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Anxiety and Stress: I'm on 100mg a day for depression. I was on 75mg which was then upped to 100mg. It helps me feel relaxed and also helps me sleep.

February 4, 2014 2:48 PM
Review by Sleeping again: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Insomnia: I was just put on 50 mg of amitriptyline for extreme insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I have suffered from insomnia my entire life and my job is very stressful as a nurse working rotating shift at a hospital. I would stay up for 3 days at a time while working crazy 12 hour back to back shifts. I was at my wit's end, so exhausted, delirious, and beyond stressed. I have tried so many different medicines to help with sleep and anxiety. None have even come anywhere as close as Amitriptyline has, to giving me good sleep. I had lost hope that I would ever be able to sleep good again. Amitriptyline has SAVED me. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up every hour, and I sleep like a BABY! I can now function at work again. This medicine saved me.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 24, 2014 3:44 AM
Review by Nick77: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Insomnia: I have been suffering with sleepless nights for over 8 years. Nothing seemed to work. Since I have been prescribed a small dosage of amitryptiline my sleep has very much improved. I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I actually look forward to going to bed now.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 19, 2014 1:16 AM
Review by Sandiandi1945: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Insomnia: I have suffered from migraines most of my life and tried many preventive meds that did not work.I had to get a new doctor and he started me on Elavil 50 mg at bedtime.Not only did it cut down on the frequency and severity of the headaches now I sleep like a baby and that has cut now 100% on morning migraines.It is a God send.

January 14, 2014 7:24 PM
Review by IC Patient: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Interstitial Cystitis: I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 2 years ago. I tried bladder instillations, read books about natural healing and pretty much refused any medication. After a year and a half of suffering and trying gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free for over 8 weeks I finally gave up the natural route and agreed to 25 mg of amitriptyline once a day. Bottom line--it works. It really does. I still have the frequency but the pain is almost completely gone. There have been some days when I feel the pain but I take an extra dose and it helps so much. I do have to say though, it makes me tired, I've gained about 30 pounds and waking up in the morning is harder than ever. Still, it's worth it.

January 12, 2014 2:55 PM
Review by SuzanneL64 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have been suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for several years, with pain, bloating, diarrhea and loud intestinal gurgling after every meal. Gastro doc put me on Amitriptyline started with 5mg and worked up to 25mg over 2 months. It really works. I forgot to take it for a couple of days and all the symptoms came back. It also helps with my neck and shoulder pain and neuropathy from pinched nerves in my neck. Another bonus is this medication is very inexpensive.

January 11, 2014 7:13 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

amitriptyline for Anxiety and Stress: Ive been on lorazepam 1mg 3x daily for over 10 years and recently had not been able to get them due to switching doctors and have been having horrible side effects. I've only been on this a short time but seems to help a little and going to give it more time. I've read on the reviews others which gives me hope.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 9, 2014 11:30 AM
Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood.

December 21, 2013 7:52 PM
Review by Nik85 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Endep (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking 20mg of amitriptyline for 2 weeks and I have slept extremely well every night and I have so much more energy during the day. I sleep solid and right through the night which is unusual for me these days as my stressful job and back pain often leaves me anxious and tossing and turning every night and then I end up grumpy, run down and feeling sick as a result. So far it has not helped with my anxiety or depression but getting a good night sleep helps me cope and gives me energy to attend yoga and exercise. I believe the dose may be too small to help the depression. I'm also taking this as it is the most studied antidepressant used during pregnancy and the SSRI's give me insomnia. I have almost no side effects so far.

December 13, 2013 5:39 PM
Review by cornix: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: Unable to urinate.

December 13, 2013 5:34 PM
Review by Guidebridge: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Fibromyalgia: Just started on 10mg at night to help me sleep I have degenerative disk same symptoms as fibromyalgia. Sleeping better now, feel a bit better . Only my first week no side effects my GP told me to drink hot water everyday.

December 12, 2013 6:25 AM
Review by JB247: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Burning Mouth Syndrome: Male with Burning mouth syndrome. It took a few weeks, but this did subdue the symptoms. 50mg nightly.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 11, 2013 8:31 PM
Review by x3mazda3x: User Rating:

amitriptyline for Anxiety and Stress: I was originally prescribed 25 mg per night when I was 13 to treat Chronic Headache Syndrome (CHS). It worked like a charm. My neurologist took me off it when I was 19 because people usually outgrow CHS by adulthood. As the medication left my system, I discovered I had an anxiety disorder I never knew I had because the amitriptyline had taken care of it! Now, I'm back on 25 mg and I couldn't be happier.

December 9, 2013 11:04 AM