User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 739 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 393 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by nas9999:

For Migraine Prevention: Suffered all my life and this medicine was the best thing to ever happen to me!

July 20, 2014 11:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Hyperhidrosis: I was put on Amitriptyline to aid in sleep while on Prozac. When I discontinued the Prozac and the amitriptyline because I no longer needed an antidepressant, I noticed an old problem with hyperhidrosis reappeared. I went back on just 5mg of the amitriptyline and the results were amazing. No more sweating and feeling very calm all day long.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Annesa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I been suffering with migraines for 6 years. I was hospitalized because of nausea, dizziness, blurred vision etc. 6 years ago and my nuerologist prescribed me Imitrex (Sumatriptan) and Fioricet. The Imitrex stops the migraines as soon as I took them but the Fioricet was the pill that I was suppose to take on a daily use. But the migraines just kept on coming everyday. Not a day go by without a constant migraine. I was recently hospitalized and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis ... my doctor in the hospital was a neurologist. I was not sleeping and started suffering from insomnia. My neurologist prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 10MG. Yesterday was the first time I took the pill and its a miracle. No migraines today.

July 17, 2014 9:57 PM

Review by Dannieyy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I started taking this medicine about 5 months ago for Neuropathy. The pain has gone away completely. I went from not being able to sleep at night and constant numbness in my toes and aching in my joints to no pain at all. BUT I am 20 and am not always able to go to bed before 10 pm so many days I cant take it because it will cause me to be completely unaware and sleepy for the entire next day. Even when I take it before 10 pm some days I just can't function the next day and that is becoming so inhibiting to where I don't take it. I literally fall asleep while driving.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 2:34 PM

Review by madarcey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have had migraines going on 20 yrs now. I've been on a beta blocker blood pressure medicine and Topamax. Topamax decreased the headaches somewhat, but at the cost of very debilitating side effects of fatigue and depression and rapid weight loss that never stopped, therefore my Dr. stopped it. I recently changed drs and for the 1st time in twenty years someone decided to try something new, amitriptyline. I've also suffered insomnia. My doctor suggested preventing migraines and treating insomnia with amitriptyline. I've had one flare up in the past 3 months and sleep soundly through the night! Amitripyline has caused weight gain but I am still healthy. I'll take the weight gain over the migraines any day!

July 12, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by HMC02:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been suffering from migraines since I was 12 and getting them around 3 times a week. I am now 17. I was originally put on amitriptyline 10mg. Since then they would up my dosage by 10 mg until I found relief. For awhile 50mg was doing the trick plus it helped me sleep at night. But then the migraines came back. At one point I had 6 migraines in 3 days and I was put on steroids to stop the cycle. Now I'm taking 75mg every night. That was working until recently I started getting them again worse then ever before. Every time I get them I experience: weird vision loss, nausea, vomiting, lose feeling in arms/hands/mouth, excruciating pain all around my head. I have a lot of the side effects which make me question if I wanna take this anymore.

July 10, 2014 1:43 AM

Review by dezeag5069 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I currently take 25mg and sleep just fine. Remember that lower dosages 25-50mg are for insomnia, the more you take you move into the antidepressant effects and become less effective for sleep. So 300mg isn't going to help your insomnia and may increase it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 6:20 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 weeks and I want to hug the people who make this. I don't have those daily stomach aches. Hoping this stays working for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 8:00 AM

Review by Likeable (taken for less than 1 month):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I started with 2 days of bad indigestion then nausea and frequent small movements all day soft but tiny amounts. After few days took amitriptyline and next day was completely fine and no motion all day. Down side had very dry mouth. Doctor said to try going back on. Voiceless which I had taken some time before and was okay for 5 days but then irritable bowel syndrome came back. So will try amitriptyline again.

June 20, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by Barry G:

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: Have been on Amitrip for three years now and haven't had a cyclic vomiting syndrome episode. My gastro doctor tried as last resort and it works. 25 mg at bedtime my bouts started like clock work at 8 am. My last episode lasted from June 18th to July 4th. 3 different hospital stays. My weight went from 235 lbs to 180 lbs. Thought my life was ending. I was skeptical that this pill at bedtime would do anything. But I couldn't have been more wrong, it saved my life so for anyone reading this please try this treatment and I hope you are as lucky as me. I am 57 years old.

June 14, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by lsalsgiver:

For Fibromyalgia: I take Amitriptyline for nerve damage resulting from my stroke. I started to itch in the evenings as a result of the nerve damage. This really helps and I sleep well with this medicine too.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 7:47 AM

For Insomnia: At first it helped a little. Didn't help me fall to sleep but I woke up less. The effects were short lived 9 months later and I am up to 300 MG experiencing 2-6 hours of broken sleep per night.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Nelly W (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have tried many OTC sleep aids, to no avail. My doctor started me out at a 10mg dose, so my body would have time to adjust before we started increasing the dosage. I think that this was a good tactic because when I first started out on this medication, I felt zombie-like the following day. He gradually increased the dosage on weekends until a month and a half later I started taking 75mg. I get a full 8 hours sleep with my new 75mg dosage, however I was waking in the middle of the night with the smaller dosages. I'm happy with this medication, and no longer experience the post-sleep-zombification. I think however it deserves only an 8 because it takes me 6 hours after taking it to feel sleepy enough.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by GREATDANE88 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I'm 44 and starting getting migraines about ten years ago. I've tried several migraine medicines with no effect other than making me even more nauseated. My Doc suggested amitripyline and it works great! As soon as I feel an occurrence I take 1 and 30 min later I'm good to go. Although it does knock me out I am very grateful for this med.

May 19, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by SMBill:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on Amitriptyline for 2 months and I have only one side effect - dry cough occasionally. I suffered from migraines from childhood and first my doctor tried a blood pressure medicine that also treats migraines. While somewhat effective, I still had headaches and migraines after 1-2 months, up to 3-5 per week. Once he put me on Amitriptyline, all headaches are gone and I have had no recurrences of either regular headache or migraine. I no longer need pain medication and I feel like I have my life back. This medicine has been wonderful!

May 16, 2014 9:55 AM

Review by Mollie1983 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Interstitial Cystitis: I think this medication really helped with the Interstitial Cystitis but unfortunately it gave me terrible headaches. Every morning - after about a week of taking 10 mg's of this - I'd wake up with a terrible migraine. It would last all day! At first I wasn't sure if it was the medication but now I'm positive. I stopped taking it (after 3 weeks of use) and my headaches all but disappeared. In my opinion, the headaches were just as bad as the Interstitial Cystitis! I don't know if anyone else here has had that experience but it certainly happened to me. Good luck everyone.

May 15, 2014 5:52 AM

Review by Mike the soothsayer(UK) (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I have suffered with excruciating pain in my toes for 3 years almost, suicidal pain was so bad, codeine had no effect, a new Doctor put me on 10mg of Amitriptyline, wow, what a result no pain and I am sleeping and feeling much better

May 9, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by JennHiggs (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Interstitial Cystitis: Started using for Fibromyalgia first. When diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis my doctor upped my dosage to 50mg each night. Not really sure which Interstitial Cystitis or medication for other conditions are helping or hurting. I haven't found the magic pill that really helps with any of my conditions as I'm in a constant flare with several at a time on a daily basis. This does help you sleep. I've been on it for yrs and haven't gained any weight (probably due to other medicines that take away my appetite). All in all, if you have never tried this for Interstitial Cystitis pain; try it. Everybody is different & this medicine just might be the right one for you.

May 4, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by Mermaid2011:

For Migraine Prevention: My doctor prescribed a migraine prevention medication for me yesterday,, for the first time in literally years, I did not wake up with pain in my head that was a level 2 (out of 10 for pain) would either drop to a 1 for pain or become a migraine. I can't tell you how weird it feels to wake up with zero pain.

April 30, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Jonnydoe (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Not had a migraine in 2-3 years whilst being on 20mg amitriptyline. Wonder pill! Also helps my insomnia. Combine with magnesium for a better effect good luck

April 25, 2014 5:05 PM

Review by GloomyEeyore:

For Fibromyalgia: I was prescribed this medication to help with the pain of fibromyalgia at night. I was started on 10mg and gradually upped to 30mg. I find I am sleeping better as the pain is not waking me during the night. I have had no side effects and a bonus is it has also helped ease my severe anxiety disorder a little. Thinking about asking if my dose can be upped to help with the anxiety.

April 24, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by nomoreheadaches:

For Migraine Prevention: I'm 59 years old and have suffered with migraines as well as hard to get rid of "regular" daily headaches since my early teens. A three day migraine would loose 9 pounds for me. I had been to countless doctors and a neurologist with no triggers found. No one ever tried a preventive medication for me. Finally, four years ago, my VA doctor suggested Amitriptyline. It's been a lifesaver. He suggested building up to 30 mg per day at bedtime. I developed dry mouth, eyes and throat as well as nosebleeds. I reduced to 10 mgs with good results as far as the headache and migraine relief, but still the side effects. Cut the pills in half with good results. So, now I'm taking 5 mg per day, with virtually no side effects and NO headaches at all.

April 24, 2014 9:36 AM

Review by Shellsc:

For Migraine Prevention: I've had migraines since I was 14, and now I'm 48. They have got progressively worse with age, although after giving birth was migraine free for a few years before they returned with a vengeance. I would have a debilitating migraines for 10 days solid followed by a few days break only to have another. I was tested for everything and they found no trigger. I have 3 Types of migraine, 1)wake up with them 2) visual ones where I loose my sight 3) ones that start during the day and work their way around my head for the duration. After many attempts with all sorts medicines. Endep has done the trick at 48yrs of age.

April 18, 2014 8:29 AM

Review by saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: This not only cured my chronic insomnia but it cured me of my night time anxiety and panics as well as daytime anxiety. I take 50mg at bedtime. You do not feel drowsy yet you fall asleep immediately and if you wake up at night you fall back asleep rather easily, my life has changed! I tried Celexa and mirtazipine but my system could not tolerate it. Mirtazipine would give me a dreamless sleep.

April 6, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by Changed my life. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I been taking this medicine for 4 months now at 50mg at bedtime and it has changed my life. Anxiety stress and depression strongly minimized. I fall instantly asleep instead of being up all night worrying. Best sleep in 20 years.

April 6, 2014 8:41 AM