User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 771 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 489 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by Sharon Downs:

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: I started amitriptyline about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a miracle drug. But it has stopped working in the last 2 months. I've been in the ER 5 times in 2 months. 2 episodes fell on a day I had wakes to go to, and missed them due to CVS. Has anyone had success with any other medications? I am desperate for a new med before I loose my job!!!!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2015 9:23 AM

Review by qcathy:

For Pain: Dr. started me on Endep 2 months ago for chronic pain in the long bones caused by side effects from Chronic Myaloid Leukaemia medication. It's the first time in nine years that I have felt "almost" normal! It makes me tired so I take it at night. The only drawback is dry mouth and loss of taste. The taste thing is driving me up the wall, and I don't know that I can live with it. So now I have to weigh up the pros & cons of living without tasting my food, or living without pain.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2015 10:06 PM

Review by moggilicious (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I have been on this anti-depressant for many years and while it has helped me to sleep, I have had really bad tinnitus, so I won't be taking it again.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 5:56 PM

Review by david c. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have had IBS since I can remember as a child I thought it was a normal thing cause I've had it all my life. I'm in my 20's now and a few years ago is when my ibs got out of control. I've had many medical visits to the ER for my ibs pain and boy let me tell you the pain is unimaginable. I even contemplated suicide yes I was in that much pain and suffering after many failed attempts from different medications I did my extensive research and pretty much told my doctor that I wanted to try this medication im on 25mg this medication is a miracle why have these doctors been hiding this medication from ibs suffers iam now pain free and I can live my life with my family and enjoy every minute of it please try this medication it does wonders

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 2:53 AM

Review by kellyratkovic291284:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 months now - I take 10mg morning and night due to how severe my irritable bowel syndrome is. I can eat everything now and have no side effects - I used to have diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramps & bad gas every time I ate gluten, dairy, spicy foods, onion, garlic and coffee (I've suffered from IBS for 8 years) This medicine has changed my life.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 5:15 AM

Review by Am-I-tripping-Yet (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: For me, this is/was a very effective hypnotic. It literally saved my life when I had lost my ability to sleep due to a damaged CNS. I started off at 25 mgs per night and eventually increased my dosage up to 50 mgs per night. Over time I was able to cut my dosage down to ~6 1/4 mgs per night before moving on to a more desirable hypnotic. The biggest down side is its anticholinergic effects...nothing like waking up with a mouth full of sand.

April 12, 2015 9:40 PM

Review by tricyclics:

For Insomnia: I tried many of them. Amitriptyline worked the best. I only took up to 20mg.

April 11, 2015 3:21 AM

Review by Hudsongrl:

For Pain: Been on amitriptyline for 2 weeks for nerve pain after shingles. It has reduced discomfort from an 8 to a 3 most days. I take 10 mg at night and other than some grogginess the first 3-4 days, no side effects. I sleep well on it too.

April 9, 2015 11:12 PM

Review by javadhikmati (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I had stomach problem since 2009. I am not going into detail cause no one is interested in my entire experience with IBS. I should say that due to IBS I had to quit university, part time job and worse of all the woman I have been with since many years left me. So I went from being one of the most social people to being one of the most lonely people. A doctor one day wrote me a script for "amitriptyline" I don't need to explain how it effected not only on my stomach but it has brought a great change in my life as a whole, it was just spot on!

April 9, 2015 11:58 AM

Review by Fat Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Very effective in treating chronic insomnia with very few, minor side effects!

April 7, 2015 4:18 PM

Review by sharer:

For Insomnia: I stopped sleeping totally at some point in my life and after a lot of struggle my doctor put me on amitriptyline. I hated the thought of being on a psychotic drug but with my body clearly denying me sleep, I had no choice. Amitriptyline felt like a miracle. My first night, I slept a deep volume of dreamless sleep. My eyes wouldn't even open. Aside from having a dry mouth and having a really irritating taste in my mouth, it was perfect. Four years down the line, I am still on amitriptyline. The 50mg dosage works well for me. I have increased dosage and reduced it over the years but 50mg has remained my regular dose

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2015 8:30 PM

Review by abmtily (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I've taken amitriptyline off and on for 8 years & have had migraines for almost 30 years (I'm 41). 25mg cuts migraines down to 3-4/month (rather than the 5-10 /month I get with no medication), and carb cravings are quite manageable. No weight gain at 25mg, even after several months. When I tried 50mg, I had a hard time controlling carb cravings and gained 10lbs over 2 months; but, I didn't make much effort to fight carb cravings. I suspect if one exercises moderately and watches carb intake, weight gain can be avoided, even at "higher" doses (25mg+). I'm now taking 40mg. Side-effects from anti-convulsants & beta blockers were intolerable for me- far worse than the dry mouth & carb cravings I get with amitriptyline. A great drug overall.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2015 9:01 PM

Review by Amooli:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been diagnosed with migraines since I was 9. I am 33 today. My migraines are acute and chronic. As I got older, they increased in frequency and severity. At a certaine point I was hospitalized weekly. I could no longer function as a normal person. School, excerise, relationships, friendships were impossible. It made me even more depressed that noone understood my pain and some thought I was faking it. I was finally pronounced "disabled" afew years ago which made getting a job nearly impossible. I wanted to end my life because of this many times. The 6 months ago, an ER doctor suggested Tryptizol. To me, it is a miracle drug. I only have migraines once a month with my period. I am proof that hope exists. I wish I used it sooner.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2015 5:00 PM

Review by Charlie P (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine Prevention: Amitriptyline is nothing short of a miracle for me. I used to be plagued by terrible migraines. I've been taking amitriptyline for about 25 years, and I have not had a single migraine in all that time.

March 25, 2015 6:20 PM

Review by Saiiri (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Interstitial Cystitis: Started on 10mg of amitriptyline for my Interstitial Cystitis related nerve pain. Went up to 20mg after a month and it has been a miracle at reducing my pain for the last six months that I have been on it. I haven't experienced any weight gain while on it. I felt groggy at first but that went away after a few weeks.

March 23, 2015 10:46 PM

Review by Chrissss:

For Migraine Prevention: I was 21 totally healthy male without ANY health problems. One morning I woke up with a horrible headache and it only continued to get worse. I experienced headaches 24 hours a day for months. I had every test known and they couldn't find anything wrong me. I have took 75mg of amitriptyline for close to 4 years now. The drug has worked wonders on me and as long as I take my medication every night, I never experience a headache unless under extreme stress. Wonder drug, mild side effects. First few years dry mouth was really intense. It is harder for me to fall asleep now, have to take 5-10mg of melatonin as well. Hoping to ween off the medication shortly tho, as I don't want my whole life to be controlled through a pill bottle.

March 22, 2015 10:34 PM

Review by Litzlogs:

For Migraine Prevention: My daughter is16. She started getting migraines around age 12. At first they were every 3 months for a year then once a month and this last year at age 15 they became two or three times a week! We tried Imitrex nose spray and once the urgent care gave her Fioricet. Nothing worked. She had severe aura, loss of vision then the headache followed by vomiting. Also once she was given Topamax which had too many bad side effects. She will be going to Germany for one year as a foreign exchange student and I was going to have to cancel that if we couldn't find a way to get this under control. I took her to a children's neurologist and she gave her Amitriptyline. It has been an absolute miracle for us!! No side effects & NO more migraines!

March 21, 2015 10:30 PM

Review by Lara M.:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis several months ago. The pain was so debilitating that I couldn't even see patients for about 3 days (I'm a dentist). The pain brought me to tears. I was afraid that I would have to go on disibility. My new urologist put me on amytripyline a few weeks ago. It worked almost immediately. Most days I'm almost pain-free. I got my life back.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 9:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Brought daily migraine headaches down to 1-4 a month

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by squeaker71 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I suffer from post concussion headaches, no other medicine helped. Seemed to make everything worse, sensitive to light headaches, pain in eye and neck. One little pill and its gone slept like a baby ....highly recommend.

March 11, 2015 9:36 AM

Review by Tawanda619. (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Interstitial Cystitis: This medication helps with flare ups and helps me sleep through the night.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 4:48 PM

Review by Shaelynn Moon (taken for 10 years or more):

For Pain: I've suffered with chronic back and neck pain, fibromyalgia, debilitating chronic migraines and insomnia for 20yrs. For ten of the last 13 I took 150mg amitrptyline with an opiate pain killer and had my pain and migraines under control and quality of life. 3yrs ago my Dr. had to retire due to heart problems. I have a new pain management specialist but they only have me on 25mg amitrptyline and have me taking Neurotin instead. I've had horrifying insomnia ever since. Now I also have terrible neuopathy and parathisia and also interstalial cystalis, IBS, and have no quality of life any more. But now because of all your comments I have the courage to tell my Dr. I want my dosage raised because I know what works for me. Thank you all!

March 2, 2015 8:32 AM

Review by Tinkerbell007:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!

March 2, 2015 2:20 AM

Review by LKR15:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I use this medicine as an antidepressant and for my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It works miracles. I am sleepy a lot because of it and at first I had dry mouth, but compared to the cramps and upset stomach pains I was used to before this medicine, I could deal with the sleepiness and dry mouth!

March 1, 2015 9:05 PM

Review by dawnfaye:

For Insomnia: Nothing I tried help me at all. But when I went to my doctor for sleeplessness and bad headaches with migraines. I was given Amitriptyline 75mg before bed. I sleep so soundly now. This stuff was a God send to me.

February 25, 2015 7:35 PM